C6 tips and tricks - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C6 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
sitko1
DC Crew

Member #118473

My Corvette(s)
2007 Coupe

C6 tips and tricks

Is there a thread showing C6 tips and tricks like the one for the C5 (see examples below)? I haven't been able to find one, maybe I'm entering the wrong search words.

a few examples for C5's-
-pressing the gas pedal three times w/o the engine on to reset the engine life.
-Hold down the Active Handling button for 5 sec. to engage "Competitive Driving" (2000 and previous years must be stopped.)
-Hold down RESET button while on one of the trip odometers and it gives you the mileage you traveled since last starting the car, etc....
sitko1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
sitko1
DC Crew

Member #118473

My Corvette(s)
2007 Coupe

Found this doing a google search

I found this doing a search I haven't tried them so I don't know how accurate it is. This is the web address I copied it from- http://www.kitsapvettes.org/pdf/C6%2...s%20Tricks.pdf

Things I didn't know about my C6
1) There's a button on the rear fascia to open the rear hatch.
2) There are 2 gas tanks.
3) You can only recall the max. G force on the HUD during the current engine on cycle. Once you shut the engine off, it's gone.
4) The car will remind you to shut off your turn signal if left on for more than 3/4 mi.
5) Headlamps automatically turn on if using wipers.
6) You can just bump the turn signal (up or down) for it to signal for 3 ticks.
7) There's also a keyhole above the rear license plate to put a key to open the hatch if you don't have your fob nearby.
8) The DIC chime loudness can be turned down significantly by turning the audio "Auto Volume" to "OFF".
9) Better hook-up a battery tender if the car is going to sit for longer than 3 weeks.
10) Most light switches that you push to turn a light ON/OFF are ON when the button is held into the depressed position, and OFF when the button is pushed again and released to the "out" position. But the read
ing lights on the rearview mirror that are controlled by the buttons on
either side of the rearview mirror in the C6 are OFF when they are in the "in" position, and ON when the butt on is pushed to the "out"
position.
11) There's an orange light that shines down from the
on the passenger visor clip that is just simply an area light to give a little low-level light ambiance to your driving experience at night. It was dropped in the 2008 model year in about February as a running change.
12) If you hold the ignition rocker switch in the on (down) position for about 20 sec. the car goes into full on mode (same as "ign" with a key car) without the engine starting. This allows you to program the DIC and run all accessories etc without starting the engine.
13) The handle to pull the hatch down was on the C6 through the middle of the 2007 model year.
14) The button on the panel to the left of the steering wheel/column controls the level of the instrument lighting, but also turns the interior lights ON/OFF. If you inadvertently hit the button, it can turn on the interior lights. There's no in/out to the switch, so you just have to look to see if the lights are on or off, and push the button to get them in the mode you want.
15) The A6 will not up shift when either TC or AHS are active. You can't force it to up shift using the paddles either (TC or AH
S active). Using Comp Mode can remedy this... to a point.
16) There is a feature on wiper intermittent delay fastest speed: When one goes over 50mph in this setting, the wiper automatically switches to constant on (normal speed). C6 has speed sensitive intermittent delay, but no rain sensor.
17) Pressing and holding the Fan Speed button, the Windshield Defrost button, and the Rear Window Defogger button at the same time resets the outside temperature display.
18) Mirror dimming is turned off when you are in reverse.
19) If you reset the timer you have to wait 10 seconds before you move the display to another resettable value, otherwise that one will reset too.
20) The trick of hitting the recirc button twice to reduce the warm air in the footwells. I love it when I have the top down...much less extra heat down there.
21) If you touch the time of day in the to p right corner of the
navigation screen, the day of the week and date will be displayed.
22) If you press down on the wiper stalk it will operate the wiper for one pass.
23) The compass can be calibrated and proper zone selected by
pressing either the far left button on the on-star panel or by pressing the left map button until the option for either calibration or zone appear.
24) If both FOBs are in the car at the same time, FOB 1 rules.
25) Get Ice warnings on DIC.
26) Manual shift C6s have a steering wheel lock and automatics don't. - Only the manual 2005, and foreign spec cars, have the column lock - 2006 on do not.
27) If you will be driving your Vette at speeds of 175 MPH or greater you should set the cold tire inflation to the maximum shown on the tire sidewall of 38 PSI.
28) The window switches are not connected to the window motor. They send a request to the computer and the computer lowers the windows.
29) Manual door release on the floor by door sills.
30) Hook built into gas door lid for hanging the gas cap via the retaining cord.
31) When backing up in reverse, both the speedo and the HUD will show your speed.
32) If you want to splash or lube engine after oil change press gas petal to floor which shuts down injectors and hit start button engine will crank but not start.
33) If you want to check the mileage, with the car off reach in
the window and turn the head lights on the mileage will show.
34) The underhood lamp and locking center console were dropped for '07.
35) The floor pans are made of balsa wood. The difference is that Z06 and ZR1's have c/f covering the balsa, where it is fiberglass cover for Coupe's and Convertibles.
36) The '09 Z51 doesn't have front grease fittings as per the manual.
sitko1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sitko1 For This Useful Post:
gdenisff (05-23-2015), num1 (03-19-2014), Pops71lives (01-29-2017)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
4armo
DC Crew

Member #121005

My Corvette(s)
2008 m6 npp

C6 tips and tricks

Good stuff there!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
4armo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Monty2007
DC Crew

Member #54604

My Corvette(s)
2007 Coupe

Thanks for pulling this together.
Monty2007 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
JDBZ06
DC Crew

Member #76125

My Corvette(s)
08 JSB Z06

"3) You can only recall the max. G force on the HUD during the current engine on cycle. Once you shut the engine off, it's gone."

How do you recall g's on the hud? didn't know of this function.
JDBZ06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Don't worry, We can fix it. My Dad has the ultimate set of tools! He's a TV repairman! Spickolie- Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
2011GSSSBlue
DC Crew

Member #117412

My Corvette(s)
2011 Grand Sport

"7) There's also a keyhole above the rear license plate to put a key to open the hatch if you don't have your fob nearby."

The key is IN the FOB

"29) Manual door release on the floor by door sills."

Also one in the truck, and one for the fuel door in the trunk. That's why there is a key in the FOB and a key lock cylinder in the rear fascia. Loss of power to the Vehicle you can get it open.
2011GSSSBlue is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

This one can save you some time and money....

For whatever reason, twice in seven years, my driver's side window stopped indexing correctly, staying down about a quarter of an inch. The first time I took it into the dealer and it was "fixed" under warranty during a regular interval serving.

Knowing that the the switch is electronic and not hooked up directly to the window motor, I played a hunch when it happened a second time. With the door open (don't know if this makes a difference), I held down the exit button between the two memory buttons, then pulled the window switch up until the window stopped rising. I then lowered the window, closed the door, and the window was re-indexed. This was about a year ago and I've had no problems with it since.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Jaysinc6
DC Crew

Member #121258

My Corvette(s)

Have a question... maybe someone can help me here! My Vette is not detecting the fobs. I just bought all new antennas, including the main receiver and it still isnt picking up any fob. Something is interfering maybe? The onbly thing I can think of is the aftermarket alarm. I took it to the Chevy Dealer and they didnt want to disassemble the alarm basically they didnt fix anything and couldnt give any explanation... Its an 05 Vette Auto Trans. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Jaysinc6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
rdevaux2007
DC Crew

Member #52923

My Corvette(s)
2007 LMB, 1977 Coupe

I don't have an aftermarket alarm, but mine has not detected the fob's a few times. Installing new batteries in the fob's cured it. (But i suspect your problem is more complicated)
rdevaux2007 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2007 LMB coupe, m6sp, 3LT.
1977 coupe 4sp
1997 Expedition (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew
Old 03-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Super_jim
DC Crew

Member #60205

My Corvette(s)
2008 vert Z51 NPP

Thanks,
I can't wait to try this one:

20) The trick of hitting the recirc button twice to reduce the warm air in the footwells. I love it when I have the top down...much less extra heat down there.

The hot air at my feet (on a 90+ degree day) just pisses me off.
Super_jim is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Evolution Its NOT a theory, it's an observation.
Beer and whiskey - members of the grain group, the base of the food pyramid.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Livingwater
DC Crew

Member #67211

My Corvette(s)
2009 Atomic Orange coupe

Thanks for taking the time to post the above info for the C6.
Livingwater is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
How I spell Stress relief
C.O.R.V.E.T.T.E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Xnj3DAx80
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
C6 CRUZR
DC Crew

Member #119297

My Corvette(s)
2005 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
This one can save you some time and money....

For whatever reason, twice in seven years, my driver's side window stopped indexing correctly, staying down about a quarter of an inch. The first time I took it into the dealer and it was "fixed" under warranty during a regular interval serving.

Knowing that the the switch is electronic and not hooked up directly to the window motor, I played a hunch when it happened a second time. With the door open (don't know if this makes a difference), I held down the exit button between the two memory buttons, then pulled the window switch up until the window stopped rising. I then lowered the window, closed the door, and the window was re-indexed. This was about a year ago and I've had no problems with it since.
I stumbled upon this thread over the past weekend
and thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I was very interested to find Longtimer's message above because a couple of weeks ago, I noticed my battery terminals were looking nasty and decided to disconnect, clean them and spray some protection on them.

I didn't drive the car for a couple of days after this but when I did, I noticed that both passenger & driver windows were not indexing properly to allow door opening or auto closing completely after shutting the doors.
I followed Longtimer's instructions but it wouldn't work??
(I do have memory seats & followed that part of the instructions)
Finally, I opened the owners manual and found instructions on page 2-18 (Top Left) and it walks you through it.

1. Close the Door.
2. Raise the window by pulling up the switch.
3. Hold the up switch for 3 seconds after the window has closed & then release the switch.
4. Hold the up switch again for three more seconds and release.

My C6 is a 2005, so possibly later models work using Lontimers method????
C6 CRUZR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Obamacare Health Exchanges Are Now Open In All 57 States -
The Following User Says Thank You to C6 CRUZR For This Useful Post:
brent317 (11-21-2014)
Old 05-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
JDBZ06
DC Crew

Member #76125

My Corvette(s)
08 JSB Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 CRUZR View Post
I stumbled upon this thread over the past weekend
and thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I was very interested to find Longtimer's message above because a couple of weeks ago, I noticed my battery terminals were looking nasty and decided to disconnect, clean them and spray some protection on them.

I didn't drive the car for a couple of days after this but when I did, I noticed that both passenger & driver windows were not indexing properly to allow door opening or auto closing completely after shutting the doors.
I followed Longtimer's instructions but it wouldn't work??
(I do have memory seats & followed that part of the instructions)
Finally, I opened the owners manual and found instructions on page 2-18 (Top Left) and it walks you through it.

1. Close the Door.
2. Raise the window by pulling up the switch.
3. Hold the up switch for 3 seconds after the window has closed & then release the switch.
4. Hold the up switch again for three more seconds and release.

My C6 is a 2005, so possibly later models work using Lontimers method????
Thats the proceedure for all C6's I have had to do it a few times. Mine seems to randomly lose its mind. Now it's the exhaust butterflys opening at cruise speeds and I have to stop, shut the car off and re-start it to get them to close.
JDBZ06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Don't worry, We can fix it. My Dad has the ultimate set of tools! He's a TV repairman! Spickolie- Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Old 05-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Glad you were able to re-index them. You read the instructions?!?! Bet you ask for directions when you get lost too. I know I tried several combinations of button pushing that day. I must have solved it accidently prior to that final (unneccessary) combination.

Thanks for setting everyone straight - sorry for the misdirection.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
C6 CRUZR
DC Crew

Member #119297

My Corvette(s)
2005 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Glad you were able to re-index them. You read the instructions?!?! Bet you ask for directions when you get lost too. I know I tried several combinations of button pushing that day. I must have solved it accidently prior to that final (unneccessary) combination.

Thanks for setting everyone straight - sorry for the misdirection.
Hey, no problem. You were definitely on the right track and as you say, you probably inadvertently solved it.
Had it not been for your post, I probably would have never looked at my owners manual and then had to make an appointment at my local dealer.
C6 CRUZR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Obamacare Health Exchanges Are Now Open In All 57 States -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in