Mid engine corvette rumor - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette ZR1
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C6 Corvette ZR1 General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #16
dongle

Member #22535

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherpaBoy View Post
Sounds like you have been listening to Bush to much
dongle is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #17
jsk06C6

Member #47910

It's the styling and "made in America" I'm interested in, so if all the vettes were mid engine thats fine, so long as I can still get my hands on the spark plugs without great difficulty. My old 96 z28 was a PITA to get to the plugs and exhaust manifolds, and half the engine was under the windshield. To me, if they bury the engine in the vette, I wouldn't be a very happy puppy....
jsk06C6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #18
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncherello View Post
I'm thinking a mid engine corvette will no longer be an affordable vehicle for many folks.

Ponch, if we're talking about the $100k Blue Devil. Limited affordability is a given, along with limited availability and future collectability. This model will not neccessarily have anything to with the vette that you and I drive, or will drive in the future - unless you intend to cough up 100 large - I don't.

I think this rumor is mis-founded. The Blue Devil has been rumored to be labeled a "C7", but NOT the next gen Mid-level Corvette (yours and mine today).

It all comes down to what kind of statement GM wants to make with the top dog vette. Pure performance using the Enzo model would result in a nice, but not opulent interior in a street legal C6R with lots of Z06 under a slightly more radical skin (this expectation seems to be popular with the car magazines).

If the XLR is going to be allowed to fade into the sunset (seems like the path chosen by the consumer) and Cad leaves the sports car market, the $100k Vette could follow the 5xx(Maranello) series package formula and take performance and content up to a world level with all new skin, yet more posh than an Enzo modeled offering.

I don't think they have the resources, the time, or the BOD commitment to do either of the above, so it will likely be a compromise car (sort of an Enzo/Viper-type package) that will be, essentially, a Z06 tuner that will look even more like the C6R. Popular appeal (those of us who can't afford it) will be great = Bragging Rights. It will be produced in very limited numbers assuring a customer demand greater than the limited supply.

Also, I look for this one to be built on the XLR assembly line. Either along side the XLR to better utilize the capacity calability of that line, or alone if the XLR is cancelled - very possible. If the XLR IS cancelled, look for more unique models (maybe not all vettes) to follow to try to fill up that section of BG. JMHO
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #19
Explorer_97
DC Crew

Member #20110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrock View Post
This is from a very respectable auto journalist.

Calling him respectable is like calling his story true. Neither are correct.
Explorer_97 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #20
MORVETTES
DC Crew

Member #16134

My Corvette(s)
2000 pewter C5 cpe

Where is moore rb? He posted this rumor before the C6 was out. I'd love to see this car happen,keep the base and Z06 front mid-engine for the masses,then make the SS rear mid. I read GM still has plans to build the Cien and a version of the Sixteen. So you fade out the XLR,and build a (shared platformed) Mid engine SS Corvette,and a Cien on the XLR's assembly line.
MORVETTES is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 12:59 AM   #21
vettonator

Member #55783

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORVETTES View Post
Where is moore rb? He posted this rumor before the C6 was out. I'd love to see this car happen,keep the base and Z06 front mid-engine for the masses,then make the SS rear mid. I read GM still has plans to build the Cien and a version of the Sixteen. So you fade out the XLR,and build a (shared platformed) Mid engine SS Corvette,and a Cien on the XLR's assembly line.
What the heck are these other cars that you're mentioning?
vettonator is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 02:19 AM   #22
MORVETTES
DC Crew

Member #16134

My Corvette(s)
2000 pewter C5 cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettonator View Post
What the heck are these other cars that you're mentioning?
XLR
CIEN SIXTEEN I'm saying the top one (XLR) shares platforms and is built along side the C6. GM is rumored to have future plans for the bottom two (Cien,Sixteen).If they fade out the XLR they will have a open assembly line at the Bowling Green plant. They could build the Cien on that line and share it's mid engine platform with the Corvette SS.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:51 AM   #23
vettonator

Member #55783

One word about the Cien: WOW. I've seen the XLR, I just didn't know the name. I thought the XLR was cool untill I saw the Cien. Now I agree with you,-scrap the XLR and start building the Cien and the rear/mid engine 'Vette.
I think they should try to come up with a better name for the caddy though.
Any word on what the engine will be?
vettonator is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 03:14 AM   #24
MORVETTES
DC Crew

Member #16134

My Corvette(s)
2000 pewter C5 cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettonator View Post
I think they should try to come up with a better name for the caddy though.
Any word on what the engine will be?
Cien is Spanish for 100,it was made to celebrate Caddy's 100th Anniversary. The engine is a 750hp Northstar V12,but I don't know what if will have if it's produced.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:01 AM   #25
jsk06C6

Member #47910

The middle one is from the movie island. I didn't think GM loans out cars for movies, so my guess is it was made FOR the movie.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #26
midnite902
DC Crew

Member #36958

My Corvette(s)
05 C6 Z51 DSOM 1SX, MN6 Built by 21st Century Musclecars

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejetson View Post
Only to people who've never driven a real mid-engine-behind-the-driver car hard.

If they can bring it in at something close to current Vette prices, I'm all for it.
Or to someone that has attempted to drive a mid-engine-behind-the-driver car in inclimate weather or someone who has been rear ended in a mid-engine-behind-the-driver car, or someone who has had a medium to high speed frontal crash in a mid-engine-behind-the-driver car or someone who has ridden in the noisy cockpit of a mid-engine-behind-the-driver car.

Sorry owned a couple of mid-engine-behind-the-driver cars. For the avarage Corvette customer, the advantages of a mid engined car are dwarfed by the the long list of disadvantages of a mid-engine-behind-the-driver design.

Never happen IMO. GM will not risk losing most of their current customer base.

midnite902 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
C6 Z51 1SX, MN6, Stroked LS7 442ci, TrickFlow 225 Heads, 21CMC Road Race Cam, Kooks,
Balanced Z06 Clutch/Flywheel, Callaway CAI, Ported Fast90, Polished TB, LPE 100mm MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo,
Ron Davis Radiator, Dewitts Hi-Flow, CCW C-10 275s/325s Bridgestone RE05a

534rwhp 512rwtq -

"Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before"
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 01-26-2007, 06:32 AM   #27
sebrock

Member #3825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_97 View Post

Calling him respectable is like calling his story true. Neither are correct.
What are you talking about, this guy is one of the better known auto journalists in Detroit.
sebrock is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #28
georgejetson
DC Crew

Member #14581

My Corvette(s)
1990 ZR-1 (gone but not forgotten)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrock View Post
As far as the blurb, they are talking about a rear mid engine in small quantities just to tell other manufacturer's FU and the rest being front mid.
There are other rumors suggesting that all of the C7s will be rear-mid, which makes a lot more sense business-wise. The obvious leap from there is that the XLR will be replaced by something like the Cien, and it's possible that that's a key driver for the business case. I don't see GM in its current state being able to sell the Board (or even Lutz) on two separate premium sports car platforms, even if one is handbuilt in tiny volumes. I see this as an up-or-down thing -- either all of the C7s and the next Cadillac sports car will be rear-mid, or they won't, period.

DeLorenzo gets most of his "insider" tidbits off of message boards, FYI, same as the rest of us. Allpar busts him on it all the time.
georgejetson is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #29
turbo_tom

Member #22142

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk06C6 View Post
The middle one is from the movie island. I didn't think GM loans out cars for movies, so my guess is it was made FOR the movie.
The Cien concept was out years before The Island... I think it debuted in the year 2001 or so, and the movie came out in 2005.
turbo_tom is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #30
jsk06C6

Member #47910

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW View Post
The Cien concept was out years before The Island... I think it debuted in the year 2001 or so, and the movie came out in 2005.
OK, in that case put me on the list for the 700hp version from the movie!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in