2008 600-650 HP Corvette SS - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette ZR1
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C6 Corvette ZR1 General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
norm

Member #2610

Talking 600 - 650 HP Z06 on the way!!!

Folks,

Just spoke to a VERY reliable source, (read into this... Works on VETTE Program at GM) that in 2008, GM will be offering a totally new performance package for the Corvette. Right now, GM-mers on the Vette program are calling it the Corvette Super Sport with 600 - 650 HP available. This is a totally different version of the Corvette then GM's current Z06 offering...

norm is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
norm

Member #2610

Correction on Subject Not part of Z06 option

Sorry about the Misleading Subject Heading. This is not a Z06 performance option but a new version of current model corvette. Corvette SS.
norm is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
digo

Member #13793

Re: Correction on Subject Not part of Z06 option

Quote:
Originally posted by norm
Sorry about the Misleading Subject Heading. This is not a Z06 performance option but a new version of current model corvette. Corvette SS.
Guess I had better buy the Z for sure to trade it in on the Vette SS if it or something like it shows up.

Being GM has laid all this money out on the developement of the up coming Z, I wouldn't think in two model years that GM would produce an all new Vette. So I guess there's little need to wonder if this so called 'Vette SS' is going to be a mid engine car. I'm not convenced that a mid engine car is ALL better than the mid ship design vette is currently running.

While I'm writing about the mid engine design I'd like to add this: There are a lot of people on this form that believe the mid engine is head and shoulders over the mid ship design. Okay then, my question is this: it has been four years now, eight or so that the competition has known GM started building and testing the C5R. We are still waiting for any mid engine car to slaughter Vette's mid ship design! Where are they?
digo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
lawnchair
DC Crew

Member #16723

hmm, interesting. I'll keep an open mind on this one
lawnchair is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Racing Take no prisoners
Old 03-13-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
EFE Z06
DC Crew

Member #27317

My Corvette(s)
2006 Machine Silver Z06

>>We are still waiting for any mid engine car to slaughter Vette's mid ship design! Where are they? <<

If and when GM brings out a mid-engine Corvette, that will be the car to slaughter the present version, and will set a new standard by which everything else will be obsolete!

No doubt the current Corvette is already a leading contender on the race track, but installing GM's 500HP (or more) aluminum V8 transverse in front of a transaxle will make the new Corvette the ultimate sports car of all time, second to none! I doubt any exotic sports car under $300k will be able to outperform it, in straight line or on the race track. It might be a $100k + Corvette, but what else in the world will compare? (( ;

EFE
EFE Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
EFE
A man's integrity is measured by how he keeps his word!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally posted by EFE Speakers
>>We are still waiting for any mid engine car to slaughter Vette's mid ship design! Where are they? <<

If and when GM brings out a mid-engine Corvette, that will be the car to slaughter the present version, and will set a new standard by which everything else will be obsolete!

No doubt the current Corvette is already a leading contender on the race track, but installing GM's 500HP (or more) aluminum V8 transverse in front of a transaxle will make the new Corvette the ultimate sports car of all time, second to none! I doubt any exotic sports car under $300k will be able to outperform it, in straight line or on the race track. It might be a $100k + Corvette, but what else in the world will compare? (( ;

EFE
doutful.

The C6 Z06 will already kill $300,000 exotic supercar, give it another 100BHP and there goes the Enzo.
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2005, 12:33 AM   #7
lawnchair
DC Crew

Member #16723

Quote:
Originally posted by DOC7000
doutful.

The C6 Z06 will already kill $300,000 exotic supercar, give it another 100BHP and there goes the Enzo.
Wow, never thought of it like that, I think we might have a world-beater on our hands
lawnchair is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Racing Take no prisoners
Old 03-14-2005, 12:42 AM   #8
krwman007

Member #21289

EFE
Is it a rear wheel bias you're looking for? As far as I know Corvette has still managed a perfect 50/50 front to back weight distribution . If you want to take off faster for the first 60 mph mid engine would be good, but then what? you're at a disadvantage from then on and especially coming in and out of the corners unless further extensive modifications are made(i.e.-moving the tranny back up front, etc...). I don't see why people knock the corvette's engine placement so much when the C5R has done so well versus other mid-engine cars like porsche 911's and ferarri 360's. Just my take on the whole idea.
krwman007 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2005, 01:06 AM   #9
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally posted by krwman007
EFE
Is it a rear wheel bias you're looking for? As far as I know Corvette has still managed a perfect 50/50 front to back weight distribution . If you want to take off faster for the first 60 mph mid engine would be good, but then what? you're at a disadvantage from then on and especially coming in and out of the corners unless further extensive modifications are made(i.e.-moving the tranny back up front, etc...). I don't see why people knock the corvette's engine placement so much when the C5R has done so well versus other mid-engine cars like porsche 911's and ferarri 360's. Just my take on the whole idea.
Yea, except the 911 has a rear engine even better for your 0-60 and the 360 is in the GT class racing against (and loosing) to the Porsche 911 RS and RSRs. The C5R raced the Saleen S7R and Lamborghini Murcielago RGT and either car has had much of a chance so far. The only car that was able to challange the C5R was the front midship Ferrari 550 setup by ProDrive and the Orca Viper team which also uses the front midship in the early days the C5R raced.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:07 AM   #10
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally posted by lawnchair
Wow, never thought of it like that, I think we might have a world-beater on our hands
esp. if the numbers shown are true about the C6 Z06 then the only three production cars faster are the Saleen S7TT, Ferrari Enzo, and Porsche CGT.

edit: the Ford GT is faster in a line but will probably be slower on a track.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #11
coolhandluke

Member #4458

I would bet some money that It will stay in the same format why mess with a good formula.
I believe Dave Hill said that the “c-6 is an evolution” from the c-5. Just look at the history of the Corvette 1953-to present.

I would be shocked to see a rear mounted mid-engine corvette, but hey any thing is possible.

But as for a 600-650 hp vette GM I can see that, but don’t expect high volume.

I bet Gm will continue to tweak and improve the c-6 base and the Z06 for six to seven years.

With a possible 50 to 60 hp gain for both models. And what is up with that displacement on demand engine that gm is working on for it’s trucks is that a dead issues?

by the way my tooth fairy told me that a new name will be used the polka dot ray.
coolhandluke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 02:39 AM   #12
drew priest

Member #8338

Quote:
Originally posted by krwman007

you're at a disadvantage from then on and especially coming in and out of the corners
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement; vehicle dynamics (physics) dictates that having a slightly front bias is only good for corner exit speeds. For standing start staight acceleration, straight braking, and corner entry under braking- rear bias is preferred with the amount of 'optimal' rear bias linear proportional to the center of mass height.

BUT I do agree with your conclusion that slight front bias is preferred! The reason for that is the ability of a slightly front biased car being able to add throttle earlier in the corner through the apex achieving very fast corner exit speeds. In racing (except drag) its all about corner exit speed, because whatever exit speed is achived integrates down the straightaway (i.e. even a few mphs advantage out of the corner translates to a large distance advantage at the end of the straightaway with equal cars).

For this reason even (experienced) miata drivers have been known to pass (nooby) vettes at HPDEs due to thier ability to achieve significant corner exit speed advantage.

The disadvantage of slight front bias is that it requires early braking that must be completed at turn in. This makes it difficult to pass a rear biased car because just as you catch him on the staight you have to break while he keeps accelerating (the rear bias car will keep braking deep into the corner making for very fast corner entry speeds), then you are caught behind him through the corner and easily blocked as you try to accelerate through the corner.
But thats partly what makes ALMS racing interesting, seeing these different strategies play out, with the various vehicle setups.

Drew
drew priest is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 05:25 AM   #13
stanleyp
DC Crew

Member #16851

My Corvette(s)
'08 Coupe, '05 Coupe (Sold),'65 coupe (Sold)

I wait 30 years to buy the car of my dreams and they immediately up the ante.
stanleyp is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson
Old 03-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #14
Z06Kenny

Member #25123

Quote:
Originally posted by stanleyp
I wait 30 years to buy the car of my dreams and they immediately up the ante.

LOL Stanley! I drive the fastest Vette they made in 2001, the first year Z06 with 385 hp. It was the car I waited 41 years for... and the very next year they came out with one with 20 more hp.

Heck, the current STANDARD Vette has 15 more than mine had stock! And the new Z06 will have 115 more hp than mine. So they're thinking of bringing one out with 215-265 more than mine? FANTASTIC!

Do I regret buying mine? NO WAY. I've had more fun with my current dream car than I've had with any other vehicle. Is it the fastest car on the road? No. But not too many are faster, even today.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you should buy the car of your dreams. Forget about tomorrow's dreams, take care of today's! If you can put yourself into a position to buy your dream car of today, you will get to enjoy it until you get into a position to make your next dream a reality.

This is a fantastic time to be a Vette owner (or any other high-performance car for that matter). There has never been so much advancement in automobile performance technology since the 60's. Let's hope the trend continues! There is always that dark cloud of governmental regulations and public pressure against the performance market. I wouldn't put all my eggs in the Corvette SS basket until I see one.

I'd say get the best there is today. If and when something better comes along, grab that when you can.

Z06Kenny is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #15
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

Quote:
Originally posted by Z06Kenny

I guess what I'm getting at is that you should buy the car of your dreams. Forget about tomorrow's dreams, take care of today's! If you can put yourself into a position to buy your dream car of today, you will get to enjoy it until you get into a position to make your next dream a reality.
My car hasn't been the fastest Vette for basically 20 years but it handles its own well even with the new sports car in the market.

But hey, if you measure a car solely on horsepower, you're going to miss out on a lot.

It'd be great to see a Mega Ultimate Corvette out... I'd never buy it but it's nice to produced.
Dan85Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in