2008 600-650 HP Corvette SS - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette ZR1
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C6 Corvette ZR1 General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 04-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #31
kamikazi

Member #13635

Quote:
Originally posted by DOC7000
I dont see how anyone was able to believe the engine code list we had just based on its age.
Ah, but there was such debate about it. It was in several long running threads. Ah, those were the days (6 months ago)
kamikazi is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #32
painrace
DC Crew

Member #20504

My Corvette(s)
07 Katech C6Z, 2003 Anniversary

Quote:
Originally posted by TedDBere
I dunno Drew...my biggest problem in racing a vette is putting the power down in corner exit and the resultant oversteer, not pushing the car into understeer. I need the weight back to put the power down at corner exit. All the C5Rs and C6Rs have had their engines pushed back. If you look at the CTS-Vs their engines are nearly under the dash with the driver sitting where the back seats would normally be situated.

Engine towards center will corner crisper with better turn-in response with less mass in front swinging from side to side. 50/50 is great if you can mash the gas down and not oversteer, but with these torque numbers I'd like the engine back a little more to enhance turn-in and power down exiting. IMHO
"OK", Guys, here is my 2 cents. I retired from road racing in 1994 but I think these principles still hold. Most non-race car drivers that drove my race car would say, "It won't turn through the corners!" We had enormus anti-roll bars in the front and driving the car at 75-80% the cars pushed like hell. Driving into a corner hard makes the front stick and the car turns a little better but I used the big V-8 power to help turn the car and power out of the corner. We moves parts and weight all the time. I would love to start with a mid-engine Corvette and then change suspension, tires, bars, weight bias, etc to get it through the corners. Man would that be fun and, in my opinion, faster that todays Corvettes. If I am alive, I would like to have one to play with. It would be a lot of fun with Jim Hall.
painrace is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #33
digo

Member #13793

Quote:
Originally posted by painrace
"OK", Guys, here is my 2 cents. I retired from road racing in 1994 but I think these principles still hold. Most non-race car drivers that drove my race car would say, "It won't turn through the corners!" We had enormus anti-roll bars in the front and driving the car at 75-80% the cars pushed like hell. Driving into a corner hard makes the front stick and the car turns a little better but I used the big V-8 power to help turn the car and power out of the corner. We moves parts and weight all the time. I would love to start with a mid-engine Corvette and then change suspension, tires, bars, weight bias, etc to get it through the corners. Man would that be fun and, in my opinion, faster that todays Corvettes. If I am alive, I would like to have one to play with. It would be a lot of fun with Jim Hall.
Painrace, what kind of tork, and HP at the wheel are you pushing, and in what chassi design or race class have you been running in?
digo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #34
painrace
DC Crew

Member #20504

My Corvette(s)
07 Katech C6Z, 2003 Anniversary

I used Springs and built my own in Houston, TX. Torque and engine size depended on track. We used 358 ci, 336 ci and 305 ci. Horse power was from about 725 to 810. Front tires was 12" but rubber patch was 13.2". Rear tires were 14" but rubber patch was 14.8". Drakes were all kinds. We tried everything. Bremba's were the best, in my opinion. We learned very quickly you can out run everything buy money! Those were the good old days. A shoulder injury in 1993 at Michigan forced me to retire in 1994. I still like kicking one every now and again.
painrace is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 08:17 AM   #35
hemidakota

Member #19793

Quote:
Originally posted by EFE Speakers
>>We are still waiting for any mid engine car to slaughter Vette's mid ship design! Where are they? <<

If and when GM brings out a mid-engine Corvette, that will be the car to slaughter the present version, and will set a new standard by which everything else will be obsolete!

No doubt the current Corvette is already a leading contender on the race track, but installing GM's 500HP (or more) aluminum V8 transverse in front of a transaxle will make the new Corvette the ultimate sports car of all time, second to none! I doubt any exotic sports car under $300k will be able to outperform it, in straight line or on the race track. It might be a $100k + Corvette, but what else in the world will compare? (( ;

EFE
Not to be overbearing as I seen it here, but you are dillusional to think the Snake will be sitting around while GM tries to dominate the 100K and under arena.

You have forgotten to do some reseach since the there is no 2007 Viper and a new powerplant, exotic materials, and drivetrain is coming in 08.

I am laughing at Lutz since he forgotten that Dan Knott doesn't like to be beaten.
hemidakota is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #36
billygee
DC Crew

Member #20697

My Corvette(s)
92 LT1, 99 cp, 02 Z06 #451, 05 cp, 06 Z06 #351 got destroyed, got another 06 Z06 #7,629, 09 ZR1#24

Quote:
Originally posted by hemidakota
Not to be overbearing as I seen it here, but you are dillusional to think the Snake will be sitting around while GM tries to dominate the 100K and under arena.

You have forgotten to do some reseach since the there is no 2007 Viper and a new powerplant, exotic materials, and drivetrain is coming in 08.

I am laughing at Lutz since he forgotten that Dan Knott doesn't like to be beaten.
You just won't quite, will you Kid...
billygee is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #37
CorvetteConti
Supporting Dealer

Member #686

My Corvette(s)
Whatever is on the Lot!

Re: 600 - 650 HP Z06 on the way!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by norm
Folks,

Just spoke to a VERY reliable source, (read into this... Works on VETTE Program at GM) that in 2008, GM will be offering a totally new performance package for the Corvette. Right now, GM-mers on the Vette program are calling it the Corvette Super Sport with 600 - 650 HP available. This is a totally different version of the Corvette then GM's current Z06 offering...

i can confirm that too.....my contact was also saying over 600HP...650 did come out of his mouth, but at this point...what IT WILL BE, is unknown.
CorvetteConti is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #38
hagi

Member #35016

Is it gonna be a natural engine or a supercharged

engine???

hagi is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 01:16 PM   #39
jetvette02

Member #8286

probably non aspirated.....as we all know that a 427 can push well over 520 Hp at the crank.....that is a bit under the power curve in my opinion with that kind of engine.

Most likely, i see a 3 valve design 7.0L engine in 2008 to compete with this super viper.

Probably some weight reduction too, and i hope to god they get the fenders from the current C6-R because those exagerated fenders and the vent make it look so good.

Also, I think the Vette does not necessarily have to match the viper HP for HP, or Ft-Lbs for that matter. With a 300-400 lbs weight advantage, i could see 625 Hp 600 Tq hanging.....or beating a 650 Hp 650 tq viper.

who knows.....maybe it will come with V-TAK
jetvette02 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #40
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Ofcorse, being lighter it doesnt have to make the same amount of horsepower or torque. And the rpm edge helps out even more to hand the SRT-10 Viper its rear end.
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #41
Halltech

Member #6188

Quote:
Originally posted by kamikazi
Ok, Jim, you can't just do a drive by like that. what you know? is there a new engine code list floating around?

we aready know the one that's been posted here many times is no longer correct. did you get your hands on something new?
No longer called Z06.
650 HP Supercharged 6.2 or 6.4 liter GEN V motor (both are being tested on the street now)
Carbon Fiber-much more
Mecham Blue Metallic at the show in 2007 (may be a preview in 2006-could not pin him down)
2008 Model
Say goodbye to the 427 after 2007 model (i.e. buy one now as a collectors item) This is bad news as far as I am concerned. I love this motor.
700 HP is GMs upper limit for HP on the street, so future iterations may be more boost.
Motor may find its way elsewhere later.
Why are the bolt patterns for the automatic now the same for the Z06?

"Wasn't Me!"

Halltech is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #42
jetvette02

Member #8286

I do not want them to get rid of the 427.....that number demands respect........why not a 427 BIG BLOCK hmmm?

somethin abou tthat number that ..........history i guess.

Gus
jetvette02 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 07:04 PM   #43
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Re: 600 - 650 HP Z06 on the way!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by norm
Folks,

Just spoke to a VERY reliable source, (read into this... Works on VETTE Program at GM) that in 2008, GM will be offering a totally new performance package for the Corvette. Right now, GM-mers on the Vette program are calling it the Corvette Super Sport with 600 - 650 HP available. This is a totally different version of the Corvette then GM's current Z06 offering...

Where ya been? We blabbled that in October.

https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...threadid=45423

Did he learn about it on our site? Still there are very, very few people who even know about the current projects status.... at this very early stage, it's all still on paper.

This is SOOOOO far away....
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #44
Halltech

Member #6188

Quote:
Originally posted by jetvette02
I do not want them to get rid of the 427.....that number demands respect........why not a 427 BIG BLOCK hmmm?

somethin abou tthat number that ..........history i guess.

Gus
What advantages do you see in a heavier motor making the same or less HP?
Halltech is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #45
Dr Octane

Member #15432

Um, didn't this thread start in March? I guess it is timely.
Dr Octane is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in