Could be Nothing, or could be Big News, or Somewhere In-between - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Could be Nothing, or could be Big News, or Somewhere In-between

We've been telling you for a long time that GM has trademarked the name "e-Ray" making us believe that at least one of the C8 models (eventually) will be an all electric or possibly a hybrid.

We've also told you that rumors within the industry say that the C8 will be named "Zora" for obvious reasons. Zora first started experimenting with a rear mid-engine in the CERV I around 1959-60 and tried repeatedly to get GM to produce a Mid Engine Vette until his retirement.

Now someone had found a 2015 GM Trademark registration for the names "Corvette Manta Ray" and "Manta Ray." Is there fire under this smoke or just more smoke? How would it be used?

Current naming of models:
  1. Corvette Sting Ray
    Corvette Grand Sport
    Corvette Z06
    Corvette ZR1
Keeping in mind that all sources tell us that the C7 and the C8 will be sold side by side for the first year, so it is possible that another naming level could be added to clearly differentiate the C8 from the C7 ..... or not.

Just about everyone reading this has more than 'casual knowledge' about Corvettes and you are likely very familiar with the C7 list above. However, not everyone who buys a new vette is like us. Unique naming of models will likely be insisted upon by GM Marketing, but how 'unique' and will Manta Ray really be used?

I still believe that the C8 will be named "Corvette Zora" for the full line. But will the entry model be the ...
Corvette Zora Sting Ray

or

Corvette Zora Manta Ray

or

Will GM NOT use "Zora" at all and call the entry model: "Corvette Manta Ray"

What do you think?

What naming criteria do you think should be followed for the C8?

BTW, please keep in mind that the generation identifier (C1, C2, etc.) has never been incorporated into the naming of Corvettes, so it is VERY unlikely it will be called the Corvette C8 Sting Ray or C8 Manta Ray
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2018, 03:59 AM   #2
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

You're right that GM has never used C1, C2, C3 etc in their description but you can bet they have internally. I think the naming will be considered very well before announcing it. It has to be something that appeals to the younger generations. But, I don't think that will be targeting the younger crowd in their sales pitches. The 45-50 year olds and up are the ones with the money but GM also realizes that the 20-somethings will someday be the 45-50 year olds an then they will have the money to spend so they are going to try to spark the Corvette interest the the younger group so they will be new Corvette buyers in the future
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 08-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
Night Stalker
DC Crew

Member #170809

My Corvette(s)
93 Ruby Aniv roadster/6spd

I kinda like
The Zoro !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_m6q29pxe641qmm8t3o1_r1_500.gif
Views:	48
Size:	999.2 KB
ID:	23398  
Night Stalker is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Currently 93 Ruby 40th Aniv Drop Top/6-Spd

previous 58,68,70,76,78,85,90
Member #34506
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Night Stalker For This Useful Post:
1963SS (08-16-2018), The Torch (08-16-2018)

Old 08-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
The Punisher
DC Crew

Member #8506

My Corvette(s)
'77 coupe (sold), '86 coupe (sold), '98 vert ( sold ) '85 coupe (sold), '00 coupe (sold), '75 vert

I hope they don't use Zora. How about the corvette Duntov
The Punisher is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'75 vert. heated seats,HUD,compass/temp mirror,roll bar hoops, 17" torque thrust wheels.auto to 4spd conversion.7" touch screen. smokinvette.com
Old 08-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport

Devil Ray
KennyGS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Answer to the question you didn't ask :
It wasn't until the C4/C5 that the Generation tags were applied by GM. The Gen names were assigned by GM and almost completely illogically.

C1 = 1953-1962 Why? The cove first appeared in 1956 and everything around it was new including roll-up windows et. al. Why wasn't the '56 the start of the C2? The C1 includes 6cyl and V8s. Autos and manuals. However, all were on the same chassis with many improvements over the 10 years.
C2 = 1963-1967 A completely new design on a completely new chassis but initially using a holdover 327 V8 engine with some improvements.
C3 = 1968-1982 A completely new body (remember the '56 was a completely new body, but not a "Gen") on the same chassis as the 63-67 C2 initially with almost no changes. The C3 received several body updates both to meet legislated safety requirements and for marketing reasons. The '78 is almost as different looking to the '68 as the '56 is from the '53. Some chassis improvements also appeared during the C3 run.
C4 = 1984-1996 A completely new body and chassis with a holdover engine the first year. The C4 subsequently received 2 completely new engine generations during its run. It also received a mid-gen "update" to the fascias and body. The ZR-1 was introduced with a wide body and DOHC V8 engine.
C5 = 1997-2004 A completely new body on a completely new chassis with a completely new engine. During the C5 gen the base engine received a minor update and the Z06 model was introduced with substantial performance upgrades but used the same block and architecture as the base engine.
C6 = 2005-2013 A completely new body with much of the same C5 chassis but increased rigidity significantly while REDUCING weight. Engines were new, but evolutionary from the C5. Other than fasteners and later some brakes, there are no interchangeable parts between the C5 and the C6. High-performance models and engines were added with minor changes in the body.
C7 = 2014-2020 A completely new body on a completely new chassis with a completely new engine. Minor changes in the body.

Logic would have, at LEAST, added a gen for the '56-'62 that would ignore the change to quad headlights and the Sting Ray tail in '61.

If you use 'chassis' as the generation determinator, the C2 & C3 would be together in the same generation. Obviously, using
the engines to as the determinator would put the C7 at C9 or something like that.

Therefore, Corvette belongs to GM and THEY can arbitrarily assign generation numbers the way they choose.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Torch View Post
You're right that GM has never used C1, C2, C3 etc in their description but you can bet they have internally. I think the naming will be considered very well before announcing it. It has to be something that appeals to the younger generations. But, I don't think that will be targeting the younger crowd in their sales pitches. The 45-50 year olds and up are the ones with the money but GM also realizes that the 20-somethings will someday be the 45-50 year olds an then they will have the money to spend so they are going to try to spark the Corvette interest the the younger group so they will be new Corvette buyers in the future
Not my Generation Torch.

The Elite Boomers have the Money.

Rest of us Obama care is still here.

Any from My Gen have to be Businesses owners.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

My Corvette(s)
1998 Corvette Coupe

The naming surly has to be different for the mid-engine cars.

None of the mid-engine concepts really had any meaningful names other than CERV, but a production car isn't a research vehicle. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
My Corvette Life - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/c/chrisdraper2007

Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Draper For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (08-26-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in