Garage tips/tricks/hacks - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 04-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
KacyC3
DC Crew

Member #118574

My Corvette(s)
C3

Garage tips/tricks/hacks

I have this o[posted on multiple forums lets here some of your ideas. I have copied suggestions from other forums and added to the collection.

1. Rubber mats for horse stalls - make great pads to keep your feet from hurting and hard material your creeper seat can roll across and they dont slide out from under you.
2. Laptop and flat screen tv - for a cheap garage computer for tracing wiring diagrams.
3. old cheap roll around tool box - make great welder carts and storage for welding/fabrication tools.
4. installed a poly parking lot bumper keep my front end off the back of the garage.
5. Colored electrical tape at the ends of tools for quick Identification.
6. Home Depot Rustoleum Epoxy Garage Floor Kit: BEFORE MOVING IN. $200 and 3 weekends of labor (2 for prep, 1 for application and drying) -Not perfect but looks really great and makes cleanup easy. USE the anti-slip powder!
7. Retractable electric cord reel on the ceiling: I mounted mine right in the dead center of the garage and it's the most awesome time saver / annoyance saver ever.
8. Retractable air hose reel on the ceiling: My next purchase. I am putting my air compressor into a Gladiator Garageworks cabinet, then applying dynomat and the foil insulation to the bottom section of the cabinet where my air compressor is (cuts down on noise), then adding a retractable reel air hose close to the electric cord reel.
8. Sink
9. Good lighting: I upgraded to LED lighting, but I'm adding 2 more LED lights and a dedicated over-bench light.
10. Carpet scraps for laying on
11. Bench Grinder with a dewalt wire wheel.
12. Bench Vice
13. Rechargeable blutooth speaker lets me run a show or music off of the phone and still get phone calls.
14. T-handle ratcheting alan wrench.
15. I gut my old 18 volt batteries and screw the shells on the wall, then I use them to house my cordless drills
16. Simple, but I keep a paper towel and toilet paper dispenser on the wall, can buy one at HF.
17. I made a sheet metal holder for the HF nitrile gloves mounted to the wall to serve as a dispenser, can buy one at HF.
18. have two wooden boxes under the workbench, one for clean and one for dirty shop towels. (I wash and reuse mine)
19. made four 10 1/2 by 10 1/2 by 7 blocks out of two by fours. three on top, three on the bottom and two runners. They make great supports for any thing, vehicles, for cutting wood, a quick step, etc.
20. old bathroom rugs, they're the best for lying on, the toilet ones are great for motorcycles, the cutout fits around the tires.
21. 4 inch PVC cut it to the lengths I need and mount them to the wall. They make great place to put moldings, wood trim and a variety of other things.
22. shelves above garage door rails for storage before.
23. a work bench with shelves under it for storage.
24. Old cabinets for storing paint,brake clean etc
25. Set up a commercial account for yourself at your local parts stores, they often sell brake clean for $2.00 a can to "commercial" clients along with other discounts on parts behind the counter. You dont need a charge account or a tax number.
26. Keep your eyes/ears open for someone that updates hardware stores, I got a rack of bolt bins from an old hardware store for $15
27. Check the insulation in the attic above your garage if its not already climate controlled, it helps alot .
28. Tire storage hangs from ceiling to keep them out of the way.
29. Peg-board double loop screwdriver holders (that never seem to work for screwdrivers I own), mounted to the side of the toolbox to hold the 1/2" drive extra long ratchets and extension
30. Peg-board fork things, again on the side of the toolbox to hold the vice-grips.
31. Plastic pipe with caps to hold the drippy grease guns
KacyC3 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
406 Fastburn heads, E1067, 700r4, 355's, Holley EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)
1970 Roadster, Mast Motorsports LS7, TKO 600, SS Frame, C4 suspension

Cut 5/16" slots in a piece of 1/8" aluminum channel, screw to underside of cabinets and hang air tools from them.

Used empty nut jugs from Costco, screwed lids to bottom of shelving and filled with assorted hardware.

Installed thin plywood sheets on hinges at back of cabinet. Installed like the pages of a book. Attached hooks to each side of all and hang plastic bags of parts. Thumb through parts easy as the plywood swings to both sides.

A piece of pvc pipe with a rope inside holds rolls of sandpaper, rolls of shrink wrap, masking tape, wire, etc.
7TRoadster is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 02:28 AM   #3
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Everything in my shop is on casters, lets me reconfigure quick to accommodate any project.

My work bench is on casters its 30" wide and 8' long can work from either side and it rolls to where the work is. It is covered with formica and is easy clean up and tough.

My air hose reel is mounted on a pole anchored to the floor with an old caster mounted in between the real and pole so the reel can swivel. Remove the wheel weld it to the pole and bolt the reel to it.

My electrical cord reel is mounted the same way the air hose reel is.

Harbor Freight tool boxes, nice boxes and cheep compared to the others, wont break the bank.

Large speakers mounted up high on shelves, never get in the way and I can jam without the wife complaining.

I know there are others just cant think of them now

BTW be careful putting the air compressor in the cabinet, heat is the compressors enemy for sure. When I researched air compressors I couldn't understand why new compressors wouldn't last a lifetime like the old ones. Found out they run the new ones at 3600 RPM and the old ones ran 1300 RPM. the older compressors would run larger pistons that would pump more air at lower speed. I ended up buying parts and building my compressor. It runs 1300 RPM and I can stand next to it and talk on my cell phone.
Marks76ray is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
My Build Link https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=148376

My Picture Link
http://www.supermotors.net/users/Busterbronco

I find a little piece of sanity through my vette project, other than that I rely on Jesus.

re·ly-Definition of

Depend on with full trust or confidence.
synonyms: depend on, place reliance on;

Old 05-10-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks76ray View Post
Everything in my shop is on casters, lets me reconfigure quick to accommodate any project.

My work bench is on casters its 30" wide and 8' long can work from either side and it rolls to where the work is. It is covered with formica and is easy clean up and tough.

My air hose reel is mounted on a pole anchored to the floor with an old caster mounted in between the real and pole so the reel can swivel. Remove the wheel weld it to the pole and bolt the reel to it.

My electrical cord reel is mounted the same way the air hose reel is.

Harbor Freight tool boxes, nice boxes and cheep compared to the others, wont break the bank.

Large speakers mounted up high on shelves, never get in the way and I can jam without the wife complaining.

I know there are others just cant think of them now

BTW be careful putting the air compressor in the cabinet, heat is the compressors enemy for sure. When I researched air compressors I couldn't understand why new compressors wouldn't last a lifetime like the old ones. Found out they run the new ones at 3600 RPM and the old ones ran 1300 RPM. the older compressors would run larger pistons that would pump more air at lower speed. I ended up buying parts and building my compressor. It runs 1300 RPM and I can stand next to it and talk on my cell phone.

You're spot on about the compressor. A few years back I bought a fairly large upright oil-less compressor. BIG mistake. The noise from it was incredible. I could not stay in the garage with it. I gave it to one of my sons, and he doesn't use it very much because of the noise. I replaced it with a Porter Cable 2-stage upright. It has a Chinese compressor, not as good as a Quincy or similar, but at least the tank is made in USA. I remember when compressors were slow turning and practically indestructable, if anyone ever gets a chance to buy one of those old ones don't turn it down.
zimmej51 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in