Photography - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
vetteaholic
DC Crew

Member #70742

My Corvette(s)
1996 Collector Edition

Photography

So I have been going through a lot personally lately, my Mom just passed, work has slowed down to a crawl, and I find myself wandering a lot aimlessly, so I decided to pick up on my long time hobby, photography.

I found a free online site, its a class that you can submit your photos and have them critiqued.

In that time, I have two new sites I have signed up to work with the photos, and am now copyrighting them so no one will hopefully not vader them.

Anyway, I would like some opinions of my work so far, so have at it guys.
I will not take offense on any critique, it just helps me to want to perfect my work more.

I am also taking car photos now, but cannot show you any of these, as they are mostly of other peoples vettes, and dont want to reveal them without their permission.

That being said, here are some of the pics.

Pick out your favorite one, and let me know why you chose that one and how I can improve.

Thanks,
Laura

Okay, so I fibbed. ONE pic of MY vette.

vetteaholic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Money comes and goes, life is short, love like there is NO tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
zx10r_07
DC Crew

Member #43456

My Corvette(s)
71 Vert

First off, I am no expert, just another hobbyist and these critiques are my personal .02. Also I numbered my responses to match the pictures in the posted order for referencing.

1. Rule of Thirds would have helped make this pic stand out a little more. There also seems to be quite a bit of noise in the picture, Depending on your camera and your post processing software there are programs that can help reduce the problem. The only other thing I can see is that it seems the pine cone is almost out of focus. It maybe just need to be sharpened a bit along with removal of some noise and this pic could really "pop"

2. I don't see a lot of noise (which is a good thing) and the whole picture seems to have a balanced and in focus. When I do look at the picture I find myself first focusing on the 2 orbs and the lobster and noticing what else is in the picture, so depending on what you were wanting this could have been what you wanted. I would suggest maybe cropping out the drift wood in the lower right hand corner to help make the picture feel "complete."

3. Not really anything to say here. Colors are good, image is in a nice focus and crisp.

4. Same as above here, except I notice a fair amount of noise in the picture.

5. Overall it seems very white. This one also contains a lot of noise. Otherwise the flower is nice and crisp.

6. This one seems to have too much Post Processing done to it almost. The main focus appears to be the green leaves of the plant instead of the Pink flowers. Once again I notice a small amount of noise present.

7. Absolutely wonderful, Nothing to say, it looks great (I can see what appears to be your reflection though. Just watch what angle you are taking from to fix that. )

8. Looks good here also. The only thing I can think of is to turn the front wheels the other way so instead of seeing tire tread we would have seen the wheel. There are also quite a few bright white spots that could have been reduced by using either a polarizing filter or shooting closer to the "magic hour."

Hopefully I didn't seem to nitpicky.
zx10r_07 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
vetteaholic
DC Crew

Member #70742

My Corvette(s)
1996 Collector Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10r_07 View Post
First off, I am no expert, just another hobbyist and these critiques are my personal .02. Also I numbered my responses to match the pictures in the posted order for referencing.

1. Rule of Thirds would have helped make this pic stand out a little more. There also seems to be quite a bit of noise in the picture, Depending on your camera and your post processing software there are programs that can help reduce the problem. The only other thing I can see is that it seems the pine cone is almost out of focus. It maybe just need to be sharpened a bit along with removal of some noise and this pic could really "pop"

2. I don't see a lot of noise (which is a good thing) and the whole picture seems to have a balanced and in focus. When I do look at the picture I find myself first focusing on the 2 orbs and the lobster and noticing what else is in the picture, so depending on what you were wanting this could have been what you wanted. I would suggest maybe cropping out the drift wood in the lower right hand corner to help make the picture feel "complete."

3. Not really anything to say here. Colors are good, image is in a nice focus and crisp.

4. Same as above here, except I notice a fair amount of noise in the picture.

5. Overall it seems very white. This one also contains a lot of noise. Otherwise the flower is nice and crisp.

6. This one seems to have too much Post Processing done to it almost. The main focus appears to be the green leaves of the plant instead of the Pink flowers. Once again I notice a small amount of noise present.

7. Absolutely wonderful, Nothing to say, it looks great (I can see what appears to be your reflection though. Just watch what angle you are taking from to fix that. )

8. Looks good here also. The only thing I can think of is to turn the front wheels the other way so instead of seeing tire tread we would have seen the wheel. There are also quite a few bright white spots that could have been reduced by using either a polarizing filter or shooting closer to the "magic hour."

Hopefully I didn't seem to nitpicky.
Not at all. That is what I wanted, an honest opinion. Thanks, and I will work with them more to see if I can improve.

Laura
vetteaholic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Money comes and goes, life is short, love like there is NO tomorrow!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
zx10r_07
DC Crew

Member #43456

My Corvette(s)
71 Vert

I played with them real quick to see what I could do with them (hope you don't mind). I would really like to play with the original's if you don't mind sending them to me. Here is what I got .

zx10r_07 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
BigMikeyT88
DC Crew

Member #30242

My Corvette(s)
Two in the Garage 2005 Z51, 1984 383ci

I would say use a bigger aperature on the close ups to get more DOF I noticed quite a bit of noise in a few of the pics so lower your ISO.

What are you shooting with? Lens?
BigMikeyT88 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1999 Torch Red FRC 6 speed, MGW Shifter, C5Z Exhaust, Vararam. 13.10 @ 109

2005-A4 Vararam Intake, and a tune by Jeremy Formato 353RWHP and 354RWTQ
1/4 12.70 @ 110

1984-383ci,Cast Iron Bowtie Block bored to 4.190in. Stock GM crank, PM rods, Mini Ram III Intake, Fastburn Heads,Hot Cam, Richmond Six Speed, Stage 1 clutch, TPIS Headers, 58mm TB, 27lb Injectors, ZR1 Wheels, 315's out back, 275's in front, High Flow Cat, 3.73's,Bilstein Shocks, Tuned by Jeremy Formato, 340RWHP and 350RWTQ

1.73/12.622/109.90
Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2002 Z06, 1977 custom Past: 1985 Z51 Coupe

All look pretty good. There is some noise in them, but that might be a product of whatever program you used to put that bevel edge on the photos. If you find that it is in the original, try dropping your ISO (film speed). With the first picture, try dropping your f-number so that you get a smaller area of focus and the pine needles with be softer.
Keep playing...snap LOTS of photos...when i go out...I will rip through 300 pictures and just take the 10 good ones to print or show people.

i like the pict of the vette...great background....very "Americana"...seems like some of the dark areas (front wheel well) lost some contrast...with a still object, you can go with a longer shutter speed (or fiddle with any of your cameras other adjustments to get the effect you want)

overall, great job...something calm and relaxing about nature photography...might be just what you need.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Bella" - 2002 Z06 - Carrying on family tradition of Corvette ownership.

"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned. Gone but never forgotten.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in