Emissions Pass or No Pass ??? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
vette_85
DC Crew

Member #15020

My Corvette(s)
1985 Corvette

Emissions Pass or No Pass ???

Well I'm running stock exhaust manifolds right now through straight pipes with the borla stingers at the rear. I have 3 months left until I have to get the vehicle emissioned. Its an 85. Now I want to get my hedman longtubes before then, thataway I can run a single high flow cat with the borlas at the rear. Now, if I get the headers w/o air injection set up, will the EMISSION place FAIL me ??? Cuz I think I remember them looking to see if I had the pump there, but dont recall if you need it connected to the headers. Do you guys know if i'll pass or not? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
vette_85 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1985 Corvette

- K&N Open Lid Intake
- Accel Cap, Rotor, Super Coil, and 8.8 Wires
- Accel 24lb Injectors
- 700r4 Shift Improver Kit
- Catless Borla Stinger Exhaust

REAL CARS dont power the front wheels, they lift them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
tmichaud
DC Crew

Member #74931

I believe it comes down to the laws in your area, so perhaps someone closer could clarify.

In Ontario Canada, that would fail the visual inspection portion of the emissions test, therefore not be allowed.

Of course, hear we do not need emissions testing on cars older than 20 years, so my 1986 is exempt!!!

btw, I still run full emissions gear, and will likely keep AIR when I get headers (looking at the hooker 2149's).
tmichaud is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
hoopty
DC Crew

Member #54300

My Corvette(s)

I just installed a pair of headman long tube headers on my 1988 corvette. They didn't come with any emissions so I added a bung for my O2 sensor and I drilled a hole and welded my EGR tube into the primary tube and I'll bet you could cut and weld the air tubes on to them if that's the only way to pass the inspection.
hoopty is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2008 corvette nitrous enhanced!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
GO_vette

Member #75006

Headers for an 85 TPI Vette.

May I please make a suggestion?
First, make sure that you have an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) on the headers.
if you dont, make sure you reprogram your MEMCAL disabling EGR valve. and check engine codes.
I think these headers are pretty good.
Hedman part # 68447 ( w/ EGr). $365.00
You may have to cutom fabricate the Y pipe connected between the headers and Cats.
The Catylic Convertor I suggest is a DYNOMAX wlk 40313
and WLK 17483 (cat back system)
You will have a good clean system.
you can also do extreme porting on the runners, and plennum and intake.
GO_vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
hoopty
DC Crew

Member #54300

My Corvette(s)

My headers are headman #68440. They were new and on EBay I paid $74.99 plus shipping. I wanted to keep my EGR system in tact so I bought a hole saw to cut the hole in the primary tube #8 and welded it in. Everything still works as it should. It took longer to grind the header flanges to clear the small bolts that hold the little metal brackets for the spark plug wire separators. And I had to build a bracket to bolt the dip stick tube to since it could not be reattached to the header due to header tube size. I also had to build a new bracket to support the back of my alternator due to header tube interference. I also had to use a spacer on a factory exhaust manifold bolt for the AC compressor bracket that mounts to the cylinder head. I cut the hole for the O2 sensor bung in the top of the header collector and welded it in. The bottom line is it took some time and wasn't easy but it was worth it to me and it didn't cost a lot of money.
hoopty is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2008 corvette nitrous enhanced!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
olddog
DC Crew

Member #28329

My Corvette(s)
C6/1LT, Z51 Jeremy 'touched' 69 Camaro 522" Company Car GMC D'max/ snow & tow

This is sort of off your topic but it goes to show how silly some state test are and how useless too.

I have a friend in MD who's truck failed the sniffer/rollers or what ever they use in MD. He had NO converter on the truck and didn't want one on either.

He was told by a technician buddy to run the hell out of the truck, AFTER he put Red Line SI#1 in the gas and take out the air filter and return to the test center. He did as he was told and went back to the same test center: he passed!

Go figure.
olddog is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Drive it like you HATE it!

Only half the lies told about me are true!

In the dark all 'cats' are gray.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

You'll def have to check with some folks in your local area, a good mechanic may be able to help you too. Adding a high flow cat will make a big difference, and keeping the AIR hooked up isn't that big of a hassle. And so long as your motor is tuned up well, you should pass a sniffer test with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
This is sort of off your topic but it goes to show how silly some state test are and how useless too. He did as he was told and went back to the same test center: he passed!
MD's emissions testing is just for the $14. One of stories I always heard from guys with older trucks was running the tank low and filling with some rubbing alcohol, just enough to drive through the test and get to a gas station afterwards. My experience is they just plug into your car and check for codes, rarely did they test much else. Glad I don't deal with that anymore.

Dan85Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
GO_vette

Member #75006

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopty View Post
My headers are headman #68440. They were new and on EBay I paid $74.99 plus shipping. I wanted to keep my EGR system in tact so I bought a hole saw to cut the hole in the primary tube #8 and welded it in. Everything still works as it should. It took longer to grind the header flanges to clear the small bolts that hold the little metal brackets for the spark plug wire separators. And I had to build a bracket to bolt the dip stick tube to since it could not be reattached to the header due to header tube size. I also had to build a new bracket to support the back of my alternator due to header tube interference. I also had to use a spacer on a factory exhaust manifold bolt for the AC compressor bracket that mounts to the cylinder head. I cut the hole for the O2 sensor bung in the top of the header collector and welded it in. The bottom line is it took some time and wasn't easy but it was worth it to me and it didn't cost a lot of money.
Well you know it depends on your economic time value.
It would be costly for me to do all this., considering my time value.
But yeah if your home and instead of watching TV or going out anto bars andc clubs, and movies, this is another way of saving money and doing a fabrication job.
Hey Hoopty, good information.
GO_vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in