Ronald Reagan SPEAKS OUT against Socialized Medicine - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #16
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
As for the air traffic controllers,no ,no one got killed, but not because of anything he did,but by the grace of God.
Guess God wasn't watching out for the Katrina victims then???

That sucks!

Guess God wasn't watching out for those air traffic controlers either?
blckslvr79 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
And, you do understand why that is correct? It wasn't because of anything Bush did, it was because those people took responsibility for themselves, and because their state and local government took appropriate steps. You do understand that the La. Gov. and Nagin were the highest authority in the situation and they dropped the ball.

So, your saying that they were evidently ready? They handled the task assigned to them?

RR had his faults, as everyone does. But your a bit overstated on the issues.
Sorry I disagree vehemently. Bush knew the levies wouldn't hold a category 3 let alone a category 5/6 . The federal government under Bush took money continually from the Corp of Engineers,money that was specially earmarked for rebuilding the levies.
He was told several times as Katrina entered the Gulf that this hurricane was headed exactly where it landed and levies wouldn't hold and that evaluation was advisable,none of this occurred.
As to R/R 's point on socialized medicine I listened and my point is this. In this country of so much wealth it is unconscionable for people to have no health insurance and the reason is they can't afford it. It is wrong for the elderly to have to choose either food or insurance because they can't afford,it WRONG for veteran's not being able to get the health care they need in today's society. Maybe we need to nationalize health care, not a foreign idea given the same idea was ventured forth about the gas companies. I personally think nationalization is wrong but if no one comes up with a better plan then so be it.
StillCrazy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #18
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

Those levies were built way before Bush and they were built to withstand Cat 2 hurricanes. And if the Army Corps of Engineers were requesting money to re-enforce the levies to Cat 3 you can rest assure that they started requesting that money way before Bush entered office. Bush just happen to be the man in charge when they failed.
PNHNDLE96CE is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF(ret)
Old 11-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #19
Vette_Newb
Account Disabled.

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Sorry I disagree vehemently. Bush knew the levies wouldn't hold a category 3 let alone a category 5/6 . The federal government under Bush took money continually from the Corp of Engineers,money that was specially earmarked for rebuilding the levies.
He was told several times as Katrina entered the Gulf that this hurricane was headed exactly where it landed and levies wouldn't hold and that evaluation was advisable,none of this occurred.
I appreciate your response, but it's dead wrong. State and local government are responsible for evacuations and preparedness. Daddy fed isn't. That's why Texas, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, all had their shit together. Louisiana's gov. and mayor Nagin called the shots, not Bush. And the federal government under the 3 presidents prior to Bush did the same thing with corps money. I know for some people, laying everything on Bush is convenient, but the facts don't support the statements.

Quote:
As to R/R 's point on socialized medicine I listened and my point is this. In this country of so much wealth it is unconscionable for people to have no health insurance and the reason is they can't afford it. It is wrong for the elderly to have to choose either food or insurance because they can't afford,it WRONG for veteran's not being able to get the health care they need in today's society. Maybe we need to nationalize health care, not a foreign idea given the same idea was ventured forth about the gas companies. I personally think nationalization is wrong but if no one comes up with a better plan then so be it.
There are much better plans out there than whats being considered. The bill they are working on does not lower costs, does not improve care, does not improve access. Rest assured, the bill they are working on does 2 things for the fed, power and money. It will do nothing good for you nor anyone you know.

Vette_Newb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #20
Matt383
DC Crew

Member #352
Location: 2003 Points Champ Great Lakes Corvette Challange;2006, 2007,2008 & 2010 class winner NMCA True Street

Quote:
There are much better plans out there than whats being considered. The bill they are working on does not lower costs, does not improve care, does not improve access. Rest assured, the bill they are working on does 2 things for the fed, power and money. It will do nothing good for you nor anyone you know.

The elderly should be against this bill big time.

Of all the uninsured there are some that choose NOT to be insured and can be if they choose, which skews the numbers.

There are about 12 million or so that are truly uninsured that need it.

If we address THOSE people and not force EVERYONE to participate in the gubmint plan it would be cheaper and more effective.

Freedom of choice for the people, the doctors, the employers, etc, is what we need to keep in place.
Matt383 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #21
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

sorry
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #22
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

Quote:
I appreciate your response, but it's dead wrong. State and local government are responsible for evacuations and preparedness. Daddy fed isn't. That's why Texas, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, all had their shit together. Louisiana's gov. and mayor Nagin called the shots, not Bush. And the federal government under the 3 presidents prior to Bush did the same thing with corps money. I know for some people, laying everything on Bush is convenient, but the facts don't support the statements.

In the la times this morning a judge found that the government along with the corp of engineers was negligent and thereby responsible for the tragedy in Louisiana. Citing the neglect of the levies as the principal cause of the disaster. Bush had been warned repeatedly that the levies wouldn't hold but diverted monies earmarked especially for that project onto other things.I stand by my earlier statement that his administration was responsible for that tragedy
Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #23
Vette_Newb
Account Disabled.

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
In the la times this morning a judge found that the government along with the corp of engineers was negligent and thereby responsible for the tragedy in Louisiana. Citing the neglect of the levies as the principal cause of the disaster. Bush had been warned repeatedly that the levies wouldn't hold but diverted monies earmarked especially for that project onto other things.I stand by my earlier statement that his administration was responsible for that tragedy
I read the report too, but I didn't filter my results:

In a ruling that could leave the government open to billions of dollars in claims from Hurricane Katrina victims, a federal judge said late Wednesday that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers had displayed "gross negligence" in failing to maintain a navigation channel -- resulting in levee breaches that flooded large swaths of greater New Orleans.

U.S. District Judge Stanwood R. Duval peppered his 156-page decision, issued in New Orleans, with harsh criticism of the Army corps, at one point citing its "insouciance, myopia and shortsightedness" in failing to maintain the Mississippi River-Gulf Outlet, known locally as MRGO.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...,3370102.story

For more than 40 years, the judge said, the corps had known that a crucial levee protecting suburban St. Bernard Parish and the Lower 9th Ward neighborhood would be compromised by the deterioration of the channel. The corps had "myriad" ways to address the problem, he wrote, but failed to do so.

Sometimes, you just gotta read it in plain english and without the spin.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #24
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

No President can please all of the people, all of the time and as of today (no prediction about this in 3 years) every American citizen is still entitled to his or her own opinion. I've met enough Reagan haters to know that there is no changing their points of view. Almost invariably they cite one action or inaction of Reagan's that forever doomed him in their eyes. This is their right and perogative.

IMO, Ronald Reagan was one of the greatest Presidents we've ever had. He was a great American who believed in a Great America. He was a great communicator and a great, proud leader exactly when we needed just that. He helped us recover from the Viet Nam mistakes by reminding us of our heritage. He stood nose to nose with the USSR and they not only blinked, they died.

All he did is history now. It's all documented and opinionized - both sides - in many books. If you were old enough during his two terms, to understand what was happening in this country you have formed an opinion of him. If you weren't, go read some books - don't depend, no, don't ALLOW this thread to influence you to do anything other than your own research.

FWIW
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #25
ozarkyankee
DC Crew

Member #50982

My Corvette(s)
59 (stolen in 69) 63 Duntov/BL Gold (sold) 77 (sold) red 65 coupe (11.95 1/4 mi. driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt383 View Post
OK.

So did ANYBODY that posted listen to the flippin link??

Bravo. Yes, yes. Very timely.

Problem: Unlike 1961, we have an America that many people are very OK with big government and do not see or understand the evils of it like Ronald Reagan did in 1961.

Many Americans vote their pocketbook. If the candidate promises me more money in my bank account, I'll vote him in. Nothing beyond that matters. Could care less if our President has radical and racial dudes working for him.

Give me the money, daddy.
ozarkyankee is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Vote democrat. It's easier than thinking.

America: Land of Opportunity - especially if you are here illegally.

Bush - no child left behind policy
Obama - no president left behind
Old 11-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #26
Matt383
DC Crew

Member #352
Location: 2003 Points Champ Great Lakes Corvette Challange;2006, 2007,2008 & 2010 class winner NMCA True Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkyankee View Post
Many Americans vote their pocketbook. If the candidate promises me more money in my bank account, I'll vote him in. Nothing beyond that matters. Could care less if our President has radical and racial dudes working for him.

Ahhh...

The trappings of Chicago Style Politics.

Promise more money, more programs, more services.

That's why the Dems ALWAYS get elected in Chicago and that's why the poor stay poor and never leave the hoods.

The powers that be really don't want the poor to change or to move up in life. THAT"S THEIR VOTING BASE!!

So on a larger scale, the Health Care bill is all about power.
Once this program gets passed we have created the Largest government agency in history.

Wake up America.

Matt383
Matt383 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #27
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanked 1,124 Times in 810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkyankee View Post
Bravo. Yes, yes. Very timely.

Problem: Unlike 1961, we have an America that many people are very OK with big government and do not see or understand the evils of it like Ronald Reagan did in 1961.

I'm hoping this is tongue in cheek. You realize that when you "vote your pocketbook" you are voting to take someone else's money from them. Have you seen the new movie "The Box"? It looks at this exact morality question except it's dealing with taking someone else's life. There is no difference. Either one is
immoral.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #28
Vette_Newb
Account Disabled.

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I'm hoping this is tongue in cheek. You realize that when you "vote your pocketbook" you are voting to take someone else's money from them. Have you seen the new movie "The Box"? It looks at this exact morality question except it's dealing with taking someone else's life. There is no difference. Either one is
immoral.
No Tx, he isn't saying he does. He is saying that there are many people in the country now that do.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #29
Kanon
DC Crew

Member #4501

My Corvette(s)
2001 Mag Red Coupe [SOLD]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt383 View Post
Ahhh...

The trappings of Chicago Style Politics.

Promise more money, more programs, more services.

That's why the Dems ALWAYS get elected in Chicago and that's why the poor stay poor and never leave the hoods.

The powers that be really don't want the poor to change or to move up in life. THAT"S THEIR VOTING BASE!!

So on a larger scale, the Health Care bill is all about power.
Once this program gets passed we have created the Largest government agency in history.

Wake up America.

Matt383
I don't understand how people that pay taxes can be for the two versions of this bill. The only thing I figure is they don't read past the bullet points to dig into the facts and they also get caught in the hype of doing "something".

The health care reform was originally sold under the idea of reducing health care cost to make it more affordable to more people and creating uniform coverage rules. The reality is it will increase required expenses to all but the poor, reduces choice, grows goverment, and is going to cost tax payers even more money (most likely far more than the CBO estimates).
Kanon is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
-Matt
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #30
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanked 1,124 Times in 810 Posts
Quote:
No Tx, he isn't saying he does. He is saying that there are many people in the country now that do.
I thought so. Just making sure. The bottom line on N. Orleans is, why are the taxpayers in the other 99.7% of the country expected to lay out billions in a futile attempt to make this uninhabitable area inhabitable for the short run? A huge number left for higher ground after the storm and stayed away. We should help the rest of them do the same.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in