Corvette Experts - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums
 
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance



Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #31
autowiz
DC Crew
 
autowiz's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,652
Member #149514
Member since: Nov 2014
Location: Pompano Beach, Fl USA

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Thanks: 303
Thanked 364 Times in 319 Posts
We also got green:


And Blue:

autowiz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #32
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
How about this one?
https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteExp...8371341864723/
Or this hand painted era correct from back in the day. race c2 body mod from yesteryear:
https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteExp...3964965972024/
the paint is showing its age but is so awesome the owner wont do anything about it. It was painted I think in 1971.

Sounds Good.
it was warm that day because your in a T-shirt.


Appears to have a piston ring seal issue.
Ring seal shook loose from detonation at one time prior before you tuned it.
Worn out valve guides.
if carb a Power valve issue.
Possible crankcase ventilation issue will cause above headaches too.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2018, 09:50 PM   #33
autowiz
DC Crew
 
autowiz's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,652
Member #149514
Member since: Nov 2014
Location: Pompano Beach, Fl USA

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Thanks: 303
Thanked 364 Times in 319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
Sounds Good.
it was warm that day because your in a T-shirt.


Appears to have a piston ring seal issue.
Ring seal shook loose from detonation at one time prior before you tuned it.
Worn out valve guides.
if carb a Power valve issue.
Possible crankcase ventilation issue will cause above headaches too.
I am always in a T-shirt. I live in South Florida.
autowiz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 05:51 AM   #34
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
I am always in a T-shirt. I live in South Florida.
Good most of the time.
Those months.....Need a Suburban 4x4 or Chevy Tahoe.
Pull your New 18 foot open or enclosed Race car Trailer.
My 18 foot car trailer has a real thick Wood Deck.


Put your C5 in it or on it.


Lots of room inside of a Suburban .
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #35
autowiz
DC Crew
 
autowiz's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,652
Member #149514
Member since: Nov 2014
Location: Pompano Beach, Fl USA

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Thanks: 303
Thanked 364 Times in 319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
Good most of the time.
Those months.....Need a Suburban 4x4 or Chevy Tahoe.
Pull your New 18 foot open or enclosed Race car Trailer.
My 18 foot car trailer has a real thick Wood Deck.


Put your C5 in it or on it.


Lots of room inside of a Suburban .
If you have a trailer and you have a car to run down the track. Any car that will make it down the track, then why don't you clean them up the best you can, find the cleanest mechanics clothes you got, put on your nicest face and some deodorant, and go start hanging out at your local track? This is how a racer might find work in his area of expertise. At the very least it might get you in better with that crowd which might lead to a reference or something. Why do we just keep hearing about these awesome old rides of yours? They would draw so much attention at a track.

Spend your days beating the streets going to shops, and your nights hanging out at the track. Showing off and trying to offer free help for the sake of getting yourself better known as a racecar mechanic at whatever track you are hanging out at. If you find work on diesels then cool. Take that. Work hard at it, and keep up the presence at the track until you get your foot into some work chasing the faster 1320.


Life is too short to be kept away from what you love. Formulate a plan, and work that plan until you are doing what you love.
autowiz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #36
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
If you have a trailer and you have a car to run down the track. Any car that will make it down the track, then why don't you clean them up the best you can, find the cleanest mechanics clothes you got, put on your nicest face and some deodorant, and go start hanging out at your local track? This is how a racer might find work in his area of expertise. At the very least it might get you in better with that crowd which might lead to a reference or something. Why do we just keep hearing about these awesome old rides of yours? They would draw so much attention at a track.

Spend your days beating the streets going to shops, and your nights hanging out at the track. Showing off and trying to offer free help for the sake of getting yourself better known as a racecar mechanic at whatever track you are hanging out at. If you find work on diesels then cool. Take that. Work hard at it, and keep up the presence at the track until you get your foot into some work chasing the faster 1320.


Life is too short to be kept away from what you love. Formulate a plan, and work that plan until you are doing what you love.
No one cares right now present Wiz.
Need a car to run 6.999 ET @ 200 MPH.
Right at 2000+ Hp at the Flywheel.

Price it out sometime....
About $200,000.

NHRA Super Stock & F.A.S.T. I like.
Dominated by Pontiac V8.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #37
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
About $50 -75 K to spend in the Race car chassis to run that fast paying Pros doing the building.

Showed a few in past here.
$50 k spent on chassis alone.
Car not done.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #38
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Super Money Game Wiz.
..

Keeping 1400 Hp together a challenge any engine.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #39
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Gunny & Myself are probably the Best experts what can be done with 500-550-600 Hp Road Race...Gunny.
Street Race & Drag me.


9.999ET can be had.


To do it in a Corvette takes so much more Hp because of the IRS Rear.
Takes about 200 Hp more to reach same goal typical Vs. Solid Axle traditional steel bodied muscle car.


Guys just do not have the money right now.
If they do they will not spend it Wiz.


MIDTERM ELECTIONS & RESULTS NEXT WEEK !
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #40
autowiz
DC Crew
 
autowiz's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,652
Member #149514
Member since: Nov 2014
Location: Pompano Beach, Fl USA

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Thanks: 303
Thanked 364 Times in 319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
No one cares right now present Wiz.
Need a car to run 6.999 ET @ 200 MPH.
Right at 2000+ Hp at the Flywheel.

Price it out sometime....
About $200,000.

NHRA Super Stock & F.A.S.T. I like.
Dominated by Pontiac V8.
Well if you say so. Our black C5 started out at the track in the 13's and has been working his way down since. And I made this video today just for you. Honestly I don't know what you see in these cars. You can't even see out the windshield..

autowiz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #41
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
How about this one?
https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteExp...8371341864723/
Or this hand painted era correct from back in the day. race c2 body mod from yesteryear:
https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteExp...3964965972024/
the paint is showing its age but is so awesome the owner wont do anything about it. It was painted I think in 1971.
Hold on Wiz.
Having Happy Memories Street Racing Last Year in Yusefs Record setting Mistubishi EVO.
2 Nuts going about 170 mph on close to 50 psi Boost.
4 banger .
88mm Turbo.....
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #42
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
Well if you say so. Our black C5 started out at the track in the 13's and has been working his way down since. And I made this video today just for you. Honestly I don't know what you see in these cars. You can't even see out the windshield..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpN5xI8KSh8
What are You yelling at me for ?
I Did not put that Pro Stock Hood Scoop on that Big Block C3.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #43
autowiz
DC Crew
 
autowiz's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,652
Member #149514
Member since: Nov 2014
Location: Pompano Beach, Fl USA

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Thanks: 303
Thanked 364 Times in 319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
What are You yelling at me for ?
I Did not put that Pro Stock Hood Scoop on that Big Block C3.
This car fights us at times. But it is still such a great car..

autowiz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 05:17 PM   #44
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
This car fights us at times. But it is still such a great car..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng-OO76LJv4
I Like that BBC Bright Red C3 Too Wiz.

They have Gorton so fast no one can compete.
Talked with my Bud John recent.
Road Racer in upstate New York.
I Like the idea of Multi purpose.
Street.
Road Race.
Drag strip.
Change out tires and rims as needed.
Think a Corvette will Excell.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #45
autowiz
DC Crew
 
autowiz's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,652
Member #149514
Member since: Nov 2014
Location: Pompano Beach, Fl USA

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Thanks: 303
Thanked 364 Times in 319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
I Like that BBC Bright Red C3 Too Wiz.
So one of the things we struggle with on this car is the temps. They very slowly creep up the longer you drive the car. It is not just any BB, but a 502. And the exhaust manifolds hug the block which only further adds to an engine that just wants to be hot. I have been down this road before not just with BB C3's but with others we have had to chase temp issues on. So it's time to share some cooling knowledge with the group.

When the car is moving down the road. Any car. It should be plowing the radiator through air, right? And as such by the time a car hits just 30mph, again ANY car, there should be so much more air moving across the radiator than what the fans are capable of doing that they become useless by this vehicle speed. In all truth, if you need to turn your fans on to cool your car while it is moving you most likely have a poor setup that is in some way impeding airflow across the radiator. So true is what I am saying that most engine controllers today and for some years now have tables and settings to disable the fans at a certain vehicle speed just for this. Sadly as our C3 racecar goes down the road it really does not dispel heat but just holds its temp.

The radiator being swept back makes it difficult for airflow to find its way across the radiator. It just wants to go up and over the core support. But we are not without a real answer to this dilemma from the manufacturer of these great cars. For GM didn't get wise to sweeping the radiator forward until the c7. If we look at both C5 and C6 we see the radiator and condenser are still swrept back but these cars achieve incredible cooling efficiency because of the plastic ductwork that forces air to take a specific path. Unfortunately I can not build a complete enclosure to force all air that enters the nose of the car to go through the radiator because on the C3 the nose of the hood goes down almost to the condenser. But I certainly can create a lip around the radiator in the front to scoop some of the air that just wants to go up and over the core support. Let me show you guys how I achieve such an end.

Here is our first problem with airflow. There is a gap between the front lower air dam and the bottom of the core support. This alone lets so much of the incoming air just go under the car and not even try to go up to the radiator..



And from the back..



We obviously need to close this so all air picked up by the scoop goes up in front of the radiator and condenser. This car also has an electric headlight conversion. So I made these extremely specific plates to close out both sides..



Installed there is a small gap intentionally left in the center..



Then I made this small air deflector to go in the center..



While there have been no issues whatsoever out of the trans, I wanted to leave a path open for air to be forced across the trans cooler while at speed. If the trans starts getting hot, I will open this hole sideways a bit but if all stays well then it will stay just like this..



autowiz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to autowiz For This Useful Post:
Maniacmechanic1 (10-31-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved