[high bandwidth] MotorTrend Pics ... the Pics! - Page 9 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Z06
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

C6 Corvette Z06
General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #121
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Saleen S7:
Chassis: 4130 lightweight steel space frame
with honeycomb composite panels

Integrated roll protection
Aluminum honeycomb impact absorbing panels
3-point seat belts with automatic seat belt pre-tensioners
Carbon fiber rocker panels and doors
Aluminum honeycomb front crush structure, integrated
rear crumple zones
Center-position fuel tank, passenger-side fille

Curb Weight 2750 lb (40%F 60%R)

Trunk space (F & R) 2.65 cu ft (76 liters) / 2.82 cu ft (79 liters

I must grudgingly admit that the interior looks pretty nice and includes a closed circuit rear view camera - I don't think they skimped much here.

Seems to be the All Honeycomb construction that saves weight.

BTW, under the new LeManns rules the S7 might be a greater threat than Ferrari to us.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2005, 07:30 PM   #122
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally posted by Longtimer
Saleen S7:
Chassis: 4130 lightweight steel space frame
with honeycomb composite panels

Integrated roll protection
Aluminum honeycomb impact absorbing panels
3-point seat belts with automatic seat belt pre-tensioners
Carbon fiber rocker panels and doors
Aluminum honeycomb front crush structure, integrated
rear crumple zones
Center-position fuel tank, passenger-side fille

Curb Weight 2750 lb (40%F 60%R)

Trunk space (F & R) 2.65 cu ft (76 liters) / 2.82 cu ft (79 liters

I must grudgingly admit that the interior looks pretty nice and includes a closed circuit rear view camera - I don't think they skimped much here.

Seems to be the All Honeycomb construction that saves weight.

BTW, under the new LeManns rules the S7 might be a greater threat than Ferrari to us.
The Ferrari threat is gone, I dont think that the team that ran the 575 GTCs will race agian. Not after how badly they lost every race and the team that ran the Lamborghini and the prodirve team that ran some Ferrari 550s modded to 6.0L will race with Aston Martins. The Pro drive team is the real threat, they know how to make fast cars.

As far as the Saleen goes with the new Z06 the new rules changes little if anything for the C6R. If anything they can now use the light Z06 frame compared to the steel frame rail with aluminum cockpit structure of the C5 and base C6.
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #123
poly4life
DC Crew

Member #23200

Quote:
Originally posted by DOC7000
The Honda S2000s engine weighs somewhere under 400pounds, it wouldnt shock me because LS1s shipped for about 380pounds. Add components to it and youll probably get a low 400pound weight for the engine.

However things like those big wide runflat tires probably add some 100pounds to the car. Then there are the biggesr brakes around all four corners. And the wide wheels will also add weight to the car. Furthermore the entire drivetrain has been beefed up. This cars dry weight is probably some 2,980pounds being with no fluids in it.

The S7 has a full on carbon fiber body and probably uses a lighter but more expensive interior to this Z06. Dont forget that the Z06 is more packed with goodies then the Saleen S7.

Remember the C5R with the C5's steel hydroformed frame rials raced as light as 2,400pounds. So there is obviously alot of weight that can be lost.

They didnt use titanuim exhust or plexyglass rear windows which would have probably lost another 50pounds.

I see what you are saying though, with all of the weight that was lost why does it still weigh over 3,100pounds.

edit: carbon fiber provides more rigidity then steel body panels at less weight then Fiber glass, but its not much lighter then fiberglass.
The S7 has a rear-view camera, which is a must in that car, but I get your point about the interior. With the tires, are you saying all 4 add up to 100 lbs? How much would 4 regular tires weigh? In other words, how much weight would be saved with regular tires (never mind about the performance benefits)?

Even with the weight advantage of the S7, the Z06 can come close in performance. If the F430 can do it, the Z06 should have a great chance at matching the F430's performance, nipping at the S7s and Enzos of the world.
poly4life is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2005, 07:38 PM   #124
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

You're right about Prodrive - they're good. I wonder how much $$ Ford is willing to throw behind the Aston Martin. Odd they would shore up such a low volume car. They will not have the showroom return on investment GM has gotten for their $$ backing C5Rs.

I'm surprised Ford didn't hook up Prodrive with Saleen. Some winning PR could have had favorable fallout for the Saleen stangs and stang sales. You know they would have tried to relate the S7 engine to the stang.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #125
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally posted by Longtimer
You're right about Prodrive - they're good. I wonder how much $$ Ford is willing to throw behind the Aston Martin. Odd they would shore up such a low volume car. They will not have the showroom return on investment GM has gotten for their $$ backing C5Rs.

I'm surprised Ford didn't hook up Prodrive with Saleen. Some winning PR could have had favorable fallout for the Saleen stangs and stang sales. You know they would have tried to relate the S7 engine to the stang.
I am unsure how much money Ford will be willing to put towards the Aston Martin however Ford has sold its F1 team to redbull. That frees up some $180,000,000 a year, that has a good amount of potential.

You know the funny thing is that in the last 10 years the most competitive cars in the ALMS GTS/GT1 class hasnt been mid engine but front midship. The Viper dominated for 3 years then the C5R dominating from 2000-2004 and most likely in 2005 as well. Now Pro Drive will race 3 Aston Martins with promise of factory support as well as Krohn-Barbour Motorsports most likely running another 3 Aston Martins with promise of factory support.

I also wonder if the Ferrari 575GTC will make its return to the series as well as the Viper GTS R (note that they can only run the Viper for so many years under ACO rules after ending production and that rule might have changed) and the Lamborghini Murcielago RGT.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #126
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally posted by poly4life
The S7 has a rear-view camera, which is a must in that car, but I get your point about the interior. With the tires, are you saying all 4 add up to 100 lbs? How much would 4 regular tires weigh? In other words, how much weight would be saved with regular tires (never mind about the performance benefits)?

Even with the weight advantage of the S7, the Z06 can come close in performance. If the F430 can do it, the Z06 should have a great chance at matching the F430's performance, nipping at the S7s and Enzos of the world.
I agree, The Ferrari F530 ran from 0-100 in some 7.9 seconds which is only .3 seconds slower then the tested 550BHP pre production Saleen S7. However expect production S7's with a much better tuned motor offering a more broad torque curve and jsut more of it to accelerae alot faster. According to Saleen what hurt the S7's acceleration is a dead spot somewhere in 3rd or 4th gear. When it shifts to one of those gears its out of the idela torque curve. that has been fixed, and for that reason I think it stand mighty close to hitting its est. performance figures of 0-100 in 6.5 seconds.

I believe that the C5 Z06 saved some 23 pounds by using regular tires over run flats, take into account the much wider tires then 30-35 pounds might have been saved.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #127
poly4life
DC Crew

Member #23200

I've seen some TV programs that featured the S7. I've got a decent look at the interior, although I've never seen it in person, and in my humble opinion, the 2006 Z06 is a little better in that department. For the price of that car, the interior is not worthy of an expensive supercar; it looks cheap compared to cars like the Enzo and Carrera GT. As Dennis Miller claims, "of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong."

And I imagine if GM decided to use honeycomb construction, the price of the Z06 wouldn't be that much far off from the Saleen S7, right?

I saw some new pictures of the Dodge Viper coupe. Maybe its my corvette bias, but I really like the 1st generation better than this one. Neither generation inspired me, though. And I love how Viper fans continue to claim that GM copied its design for the new 'vette. I suppose the C5 copied the 1st generation, too. And I also wager that the Porsche CGT and the S7 copied the head lights off of this Viper, as well, huh?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:59 PM   #128
poly4life
DC Crew

Member #23200

I believe the production S7 has 575 bhp and 550 lb-ft of torque. It is more than a match for the Enzo. And like the Enzo, its not the type of car you'd drive to pick up pizza or something. Does anyone know how the S7 drives compared to a 'vette? The 'vette does not require exhaustive experience to really show off much of its potential.

Here's the link of the interior

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/215692

Interestingly, GM claims 0-100 in 7.7 seconds, according to C&D.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:28 PM   #129
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

There are more factors involved with the Price of the S7 other then honetcomb panels.

The biggest impact on its price is its low produciton numbers. The Ford GT has alot os similar things as the Saleen S7 but comes in with a MRSP of only $140,000 but has been gouged as high as $400,000 USD in the UK due to only about 28 going there.

If they cut the C6 Z06's production down to about 1,000 units a year then it would probably be around $150,000 as well.

I agree on this latest Gen III SRT-10 coupe Viper, when the Gen I came out it did very well but was surpassed by the Gen II GTS in sales by almost 2:1. But this latest car doesnt look that great, it would seem that a drop in Viper funding by Mercedes is a indication that Mercedes isnt Viper friendly. I saw a concept based on the Viper chassis but used a 6.1L 425BHP HEMI. My only issue with the new HEMI is I dont think they make it in aluminum yet.

[Photo Credit: http://fast-autos.net]

The Ferrari Enzo's interior looks kinda plan IMO however it doesnt use any cheap materials.

[Photo Credit: www.thecarexperience.com]

The Porsche Carrera GT does have a very nice interior I must say. All around the Porsche cerrari GT is IMHO a much better car then the Ferrari Enzo.

[Photo Credit: http://fast-autos.net]

Ive seen the S7's interior and it looks nice to me, looks much better then the Enzo's IMHO. After all there is only so much they can do to it while keeping that 2,750pounds curb weight.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #130
poly4life
DC Crew

Member #23200

Your right, DOC7000, absoutely 100% correct. The S7's price has more to do with yield numbers than materials.

With the interior, I understand they desired a low weight. But I still feel the interior could be better. Then again, I shouldn't really care because even if I had the money, I still wouldn't buy it. The Ferrari looks nice and so does the Porsche CGT.

Ya know, some say the Z06 is plain, and plain isn't always bad. Compared to the Porsche Carrera, the C6 has less "going on with it." The C6 isn't convoluted like the Carrera with switches and buttons. Its most certainly a matter of opinion. And that shifter on the S7 needs to go, I'm sorry.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #131
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally posted by poly4life
Your right, DOC7000, absoutely 100% correct. The S7's price has more to do with yield numbers than materials.

With the interior, I understand they desired a low weight. But I still feel the interior could be better. Then again, I shouldn't really care because even if I had the money, I still wouldn't buy it. The Ferrari looks nice and so does the Porsche CGT.

Ya know, some say the Z06 is plain, and plain isn't always bad. Compared to the Porsche Carrera, the C6 has less "going on with it." The C6 isn't convoluted like the Carrera with switches and buttons. Its most certainly a matter of opinion. And that shifter on the S7 needs to go, I'm sorry.
LOL you are right thats a bad shifter, they can do better. I dont see why they dont just offer the same sequential manual transmission that the Saleen S7R uses.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #132
auctionmafia

Member #8755

Time to buy a Viper! Sorry but only interested in speed and I don't like the looks of the c6.
auctionmafia is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #133
zrooster

Member #25777

Quote:
The biggest impact on its price is its low produciton numbers. The Ford GT has alot os similar things as the Saleen S7 but comes in with a MRSP of only $140,000 but has been gouged as high as $400,000 USD in the UK due to only about 28 going there.
Doc, I think you've been drinking...either that, or you gave up on editing...either way not up to your usual gramatical standards LOL
zrooster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #134
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally posted by auctionmafia
Time to buy a Viper! Sorry but only interested in speed and I don't like the looks of the c6.
Thats a oxymoron, if you are only interested in speed then why buy the slower SRT-10 Viepr or its coupe counterpart over the new Z06.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #135
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally posted by zrooster
Doc, I think you've been drinking...either that, or you gave up on editing...either way not up to your usual gramatical standards LOL
LOL, Im having a hard time trying to firgure out what I was trying to say on that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in