C6 Z06 vs. Twin turbo AMG Mercedes - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Z06
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

C6 Corvette Z06
General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-27-2005, 01:53 AM   #46
RFenton1
DC Crew

Member #38883

My Corvette(s)
Lingenfelter Modified 2011 White/Titanium w/ CG Headlamp Override/Grey Comp. Wheels

Quote:
Originally posted by Fadi
btw, Rfenton, have you ever driven a Gallardo?? If so, can you contribute how a Z06 would do against a Gallardo?
Have never driven a Gailardo but my next door neighbor has one and he feels the Z is slightly faster. I wouldn't guess about this but the next time he and I leave the community at the same time I plan to pull along side of him and see what he's willing to do.
RFenton1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 02:00 AM   #47
RFenton1
DC Crew

Member #38883

My Corvette(s)
Lingenfelter Modified 2011 White/Titanium w/ CG Headlamp Override/Grey Comp. Wheels

Quote:
Originally posted by ferrmaro
Since you've owned many mercedes I would have figured that you wouldn't need another picture to verify that...(Hint...look at the wheels.) All "65" models come with the hyper black version of the double spoke star rim.
I had an '03 SL 55 with those rims. I put them on before there were any 65 series cars. I ordered them from AMG europe after seeing them on a european AMG website.

You of course are right though, however I couldn't see the wheels until I saw the closeup pics. There are a few versions of the rims. "65's have the allen bolts. They are called AMG Style IV. I had the non-bolt gray version on my E-55
Old 10-27-2005, 08:00 AM   #48
Emaratee
DC Crew

Member #30465

Thumbs down!

Greetings all,

I'd never imagined that a stock Z06 will ever keep up with either the CL65 of SL65 let away keeping up with a modded one all the way to 165 Mph !!

Did you guys know that an un-Governed SL65 is capable of beating an MB SLR at speeds +180 Mph!!

These MBs are capable of 1000 ft-b/t stock from the factory, however, they are de-tuned in order not to grind the Transmetion !!

Way to go Corvette Z06 ...
Emaratee is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2005, 09:27 AM   #49
Fadi
DC Crew

Member #14836

Quote:
Originally posted by RFenton1
Have never driven a Gailardo but my next door neighbor has one and he feels the Z is slightly faster. I wouldn't guess about this but the next time he and I leave the community at the same time I plan to pull along side of him and see what he's willing to do.
Please keep us informed.

If the Z is driven properly I don't see how it wont crsuh the Gallardo, especially after seeing the 0-150 figures and trap speeds
Fadi is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #50
theflinger

Member #18888

RFenton: Roll on does make a difference in evening out the weight, but it does not come nearly close to eliminating that factor. At 60, the z06 is losing maybe 15 horsepower to air resistance. Of course this rises quartically, but whatever.

Just saying that for a the weight to be completely eliminated, the speed has to be more like 150. The amount that teh weight matters gets less and less as the speed rises. It is still a factor at highway speeds IMO.

Thanks
theflinger is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 01:17 PM   #51
RFenton1
DC Crew

Member #38883

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by Emaratee
Greetings all,

I'd never imagined that a stock Z06 will ever keep up with either the CL65 of SL65 let away keeping up with a modded one all the way to 165 Mph !!

Did you guys know that an un-Governed SL65 is capable of beating an MB SLR at speeds +180 Mph!!

These MBs are capable of 1000 ft-b/t stock from the factory, however, they are de-tuned in order not to grind the Transmetion !!

Are you talking about a race starting at 180+ MPH ??
I can't imagine that but I believe you (not) but I could be convinced with some video (not) maybe a seat in one of the cars would do it?

SLR is light and has an 8 cyl engine producing about the same hp as an SL 65. It would make a great test for a magazine!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #52
RFenton1
DC Crew

Member #38883

My Corvette(s)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by theflinger
Of course this rises quartically, but whatever.

I am not familiar with this expression. (just teasing my friend)

I love Massachusetts. I went to college there. One of my favorite restaurants is in Longmeadow.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:31 PM   #53
Emaratee
DC Crew

Member #30465

Quote:
Originally posted by RFenton1
Are you talking about a race starting at 180+ MPH ??
I can't imagine that but I believe you (not) but I could be convinced with some video (not) maybe a seat in one of the cars would do it?

SLR is light and has an 8 cyl engine producing about the same hp as an SL 65. It would make a great test for a magazine!

No RFenton,

What I meant to say is north of +180 Mph the SL65 will pull much harder than the SLR don't forget the massive torque advantage of the SL65 over the SLR.

But as you requested I'll try to source the video to prove it. But for the time being you'll need to give me the benefit of doubt till I source the video

cheers
Old 10-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #54
fedaricko01

Member #39346

the wheels of the merc in that one picture are like a comp grey, they grey wheels come standard on a 65 and on ALL 65 AMG's

oh and here is a funny story i wanted to share, when i was on woodward at this one stoplight an E55 (newer model with 470) and a viper pulled up, also new. The light turned green and all you could hear was that blower, that viper got spanked.
fedaricko01 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #55
RFenton1
DC Crew

Member #38883

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by fedaricko01
the wheels of the merc in that one picture are like a comp grey, they grey wheels come standard on a 65 and on ALL 65 AMG's

oh and here is a funny story i wanted to share, when i was on woodward at this one stoplight an E55 (newer model with 470) and a viper pulled up, also new. The light turned green and all you could hear was that blower, that viper got spanked.
Of all the high performance cars I've owned, the '04 E-55 was the finest "all around" car I have ever had. The Bentley dealer wanted it so bad he gave me $73,500 for it this past August.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #56
fedaricko01

Member #39346

how much did you pay for it 80 somethin, dang i wouldve taken that 76
Old 10-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #57
fedaricko01

Member #39346

sorry 73.5
Old 10-27-2005, 10:48 PM   #58
poly4life
DC Crew

Member #23200

Quote:
Originally posted by Emaratee
Greetings all,

That is not entirely accurate. It has been quoted in the U.S. auto magazines that the reason the CL- and SL65 machines can ONLY pull low 12's, high 11's is there is too much torque for the transmission. I believe both make 738 lb-ft of torque. Simply put, there is not the right balance of grip and power. I'm trying to find the magazine article that evidences my argument. If anyone has the mag with the article that backs up this statement, that would be great.

As for your claim of maximum torque, here is what MT has to say:

" The CL65's handbuilt, twin-turbocharged 6.0-liter V-12 spanks them all, grunting out 737 pound-feet at just 3000 rpm. And that's only because Mercedes-Benz electronically limits it to that number; fully unleashed, it'd be good for a transmission-shredding 885 pound-feet worth."

Source: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...l65/index.html

And what is your basis for claiming the SLR can get spanked by the SL65 at very high speeds?
poly4life is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 10:59 PM   #59
midnite902
DC Crew

Member #36958

My Corvette(s)
05 C6 Z51 DSOM 1SX, MN6 Built by 21st Century Musclecars

Quote:
Originally posted by hagi
Hey midnite902 do you thing any body would believe your story obout the sl55 vs gto.
First of all sl is only 2 seater how can it carry 4 people in the same time and I don't thing anybody would be sitting in trunk at a 70mph!!!!
Sorry not an expert on MBs it was the big MB sedan. My bad. All I know is we were doing 70 when the goat pulled along side and we went at it. the Big MB spooled up and drove by the GTO. I was in the rear seat not the trunk
midnite902 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
C6 Z51 1SX, MN6, Stroked LS7 442ci, TrickFlow 225 Heads, 21CMC Road Race Cam, Kooks,
Balanced Z06 Clutch/Flywheel, Callaway CAI, Ported Fast90, Polished TB, LPE 100mm MAF, Brembo Gran Turismo,
Ron Davis Radiator, Dewitts Hi-Flow, CCW C-10 275s/325s Bridgestone RE05a

534rwhp 512rwtq -

"Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before"
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 10-28-2005, 02:26 AM   #60
Emaratee
DC Crew

Member #30465

Quote:
Originally posted by poly4life
That is not entirely accurate. It has been quoted in the U.S. auto magazines that the reason the CL- and SL65 machines can ONLY pull low 12's, high 11's is there is too much torque for the transmission. I believe both make 738 lb-ft of torque. Simply put, there is not the right balance of grip and power. I'm trying to find the magazine article that evidences my argument. If anyone has the mag with the article that backs up this statement, that would be great.

As for your claim of maximum torque, here is what MT has to say:

" The CL65's handbuilt, twin-turbocharged 6.0-liter V-12 spanks them all, grunting out 737 pound-feet at just 3000 rpm. And that's only because Mercedes-Benz electronically limits it to that number; fully unleashed, it'd be good for a transmission-shredding 885 pound-feet worth."

Source: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...l65/index.html

And what is your basis for claiming the SLR can get spanked by the SL65 at very high speeds?
Oh give me a break,

900 or 1000 ... we can argue over it forever. The point is these cars are equipped with a super-supercar engines period and for the 500hp Z06 to keep up with one from a roll is certainly amazing.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driven/..._sl65_amg.html

And on my claim, as I said I'm sourcing out the video so pair with me.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in