Stock C5 compared to a Cobra? - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > General Corvette Topics > Corvette Road Racing / Drag Racing / Autocross / HPDE
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Corvette Road Racing / Drag Racing / Autocross / HPDE
Discuss racing, car prep, racing schools, HPDE's, and other track topics.

Sponsored by: Pfadt Race Engineering
Pfadt Race Engineering

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-27-2004, 08:59 PM   #31
ssrogers
DC Crew

Member #9828

My Corvette(s)
'08 Black Z51 6spd

1/4 is definitely not the only thing I care about. It's just the only thing I think he might have me on. I'm pretty sure the Corvette will have better handling. He plans on getting springs and stuff to make his handling better, but I don't know if that will be good enough to compete with a Z51 with GS-D3 tires.

At 3665 lbs he will never have the weight advantage unless he can get rid of about 500lbs.

I plan on having a 100 shot so we will be more equal in terms of hp. By the way, I'm not getting the N2O kit just for when he trys to race me. Call it street insurance. Plus, I might use it in autocrosses and on the 1/4.

I'm not to worried about top end because with the power he will have I'm pretty sure he will be able to go just as fast as I will. Keep in mind you are really not suposed to use N2O in the higher gears so I won't have that to help.

He wants to race the Corvette with his 4-wheeler on the 1/8. I'll go NA for that. Don't laugh, his 4-wheeler is very fast and actually has a chance of getting me on the 1/8. It can pull up the front tires in just about every gear and tops out at about 85 or 90.

Oh yeah, I have told him before about the frame being from the 70s. I have already used that in some trash talk with him.
ssrogers is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2004, 11:16 PM   #32
tjw
DC Crew

Member #2644

My Corvette(s)
2004 Coupe, Black, M6

Honestly, I think the Cobra would be a good car to buy used, esp now with the new version coming out. The Mustang is durable, powerful and probably reasonably priced. It is not, however, a sports car and never will be. Still, considering its chassis, Ford really did a nice job with that car. Bang for the buck, its hard to beat.

The main thing wrong with it is its not a Vette
tjw is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2004, 03:05 AM   #33
NIN881

Member #20032

If you do some exhaust and intake mods along with a kenne bell blower swap they do about 600 hp. One mean machine, in a staight line anyway. What I don't like is the loud whine of the supercharger.
NIN881 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2004, 06:31 PM   #34
fdxpilot
DC Crew

Member #632

My Corvette(s)
02 Electron Blue Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by ssrogers
You don't think I could get 25hp with this K&N (link) and Corsa?

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/sho...tail.cfm?id=82
Not with that piece of, ahem, junk. The K & N only refers to the 2 cone filters. K & N has their own intake system. Some people have lost power with those twin intakes, due to turbulence. Go with the real K & N FIPK, Blackwing, or Halltech Trap. You Might pick up 10 HP with one of those. Maybe gain 5 from the Corsa. The exhaust isn't much of a restriction at near stock power levels. Most C5ers buy cat-backs for sound quality, not HP.

And to your original question, if the Cobra is stock, you have a pretty good chance of staying in front. If he satrts modding, all bets are off
fdxpilot is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2004, 06:59 PM   #35
ssrogers
DC Crew

Member #9828

My Corvette(s)
'08 Black Z51 6spd

Yeah really thats the main reason I'm getting the exhaust is for the sound.

The reason I wasn't looking at the K&N is because I wanted to keep the crossed flags on the air bridge and not have K&N on there instead. I'm not really big on showing off what I have. Like I have a K&N FIPK2 and a DynoMax super turbo muffler on my Jeep, but I don't have stickers on the windows or anything like that telling everybody. So, If I got the K&N I would get some other air bridge with the flags on it.

I don't guess it's real important that you know. I just thought I would tell you anyway.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:07 AM   #36
fdxpilot
DC Crew

Member #632

My Corvette(s)
02 Electron Blue Coupe

Quote:
Yeah really thats the main reason I'm getting the exhaust is for the sound.

The reason I wasn't looking at the K&N is because I wanted to keep the crossed flags on the air bridge and not have K&N on there instead. I'm not really big on showing off what I have. Like I have a K&N FIPK2 and a DynoMax super turbo muffler on my Jeep, but I don't have stickers on the windows or anything like that telling everybody. So, If I got the K&N I would get some other air bridge with the flags on it.

I don't guess it's real important that you know. I just thought I would tell you anyway.
No sweat. Just clarifying that that wasn't a K & N intake. Myself, I have a Blackwing.
fdxpilot is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2004, 04:50 PM   #37
Roadfrog

Member #7530

Dunno about a stock C5 but my 2003 stock ('cept for catbacks) ZO6 blew one away very recently, as in put him to shame, and rubbed his face in the dirt. At a stop sign, we rolled down windows and the guy said that was the first time anything had beaten him. I honestly wasn't on the gas all the way in second gear from a second gear rolling start. Smashed him in third gear and it was over before fourth.

Nevertheless, I think the Cobra is a neat car. The quality has to be better than a Corvette!!
Roadfrog is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2004, 09:11 PM   #38
frank m
DC Crew

Member #15839

My Corvette(s)
blk 2000 mn6 coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadfrog
Dunno about a stock C5 but my 2003 stock ('cept for catbacks) ZO6 blew one away very recently, as in put him to shame, and rubbed his face in the dirt. At a stop sign, we rolled down windows and the guy said that was the first time anything had beaten him. I honestly wasn't on the gas all the way in second gear from a second gear rolling start. Smashed him in third gear and it was over before fourth.

Nevertheless, I think the Cobra is a neat car. The quality has to be better than a Corvette!!
Are you feeling ok? Did you just say the quality is better in a mustang than in a vette? Maybe you should look at a cut away diagram of a corvette. Corvettes are full frame cars built with some of the best engineering there is. A mustang is still a unibody piece of crap.
frank m is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2004, 09:31 PM   #39
frank m
DC Crew

Member #15839

My Corvette(s)
blk 2000 mn6 coupe

Re: Stock C5 compared to a Cobra?

Quote:
I have a friend that is talking about getting a Mustang Cobra at about the same time that I plan on getting the C5. All I'm going to do is K&N and Corsa. So, I'm guessing about 375hp. The Cobra is factory with 390hp, I think. Now, I know that sometimes hp isn't everything. So, how would we compare in acceleration and handling. Keep in mind that Cobras have independent rear suspension and I think they weigh a little bit more. He plans on a pully upgrade, so, what do you think? Is he going to walk all over me?

Edit: Yep, He just told me they have a curb weight of 3665.
You don't have to worry about a cobra walking all over you.Yeah,they're quick,but they need a supercharger to even equal the performance of a stock c5.Plus the cobra hp is definetly underrated.I read on line that you will typically lose 15% of the advertised hp.they dynoed a stock z06 and a stock cobra.The cobra dynoed about 20 hp higher than the z. Then by using the same 15% hp driveline loss formula,the z06 worked out to be 406 hp backing up the factory claim of 405.Using that same formula,the cobra worked out to be 426 hp.So ford is trying to pull a fast one on us.with a good driver,the cobra is capable of running slightly quicker et's than a stock c5.The very best et's i've seen stock were 12.8 @ 110 for the cobra and 12.9 @ 111 for a 99 hard top c5.Most stock c5's are usually about 13.2 @ 109-110.If I were you,I would even the playing field and add the eaton/magnusson supercharger which is the same model 112 that the cobra and lightning uses.Then your buddy won't even stand a chance!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:02 AM   #40
ssrogers
DC Crew

Member #9828

My Corvette(s)
'08 Black Z51 6spd

I would really like to Turbo it. If I did I would get the Turbo Technology kit. http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com/ls1_corvette.htm But, I'm afraid of what I call the snowball effect. If I turbo it, what else would have to be done. I'm pretty sure the kit is for a stock engine, so, maybe just injectors and computer tune, but how can I know that's it.

Also, It says 450 rwhp. So, would that be about 500 crank. Sorry, it's just I think in terms of crank horsepower and everybody today seems to use wheel.

I'm only talking about the stage I with maybe the optional front mount intercooler.

Your opinions?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:04 PM   #41
frank m
DC Crew

Member #15839

My Corvette(s)
blk 2000 mn6 coupe

I don't really know much about turbos,except that they are basically the same as a centrifugal supercharger only driven by the exhaust instead of a belt.I believe turbos also make power at higher rpm's and offer little performance gains under 3000 rpm which makes them more suited for race cars.Superchargers, especially roots type like the Eaton/Magnusson deliver their maximum boost [about 5-6 psi] just off idle,all the way to redline [without the lag turbos are known for] which makes them perfect for street applications.Not to mention,roots type sc's have an excellent reliability record.We're talking 100k reliability. Which is exactly why Ford, GM, and mercedes uses the Eaton/magnusson supercharger as factory original equipment.Plus the mag looks REAL COOL under the hood! Just look at EFI-1's pictures in the c5 motor section in the corvette photos section in the main menu or go to lingenfelter.com and check it out.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:13 AM   #42
NIN881

Member #20032

Turbos are better than centi's in the low end torque department. the only problem with them is they are hard to install and lag. positive displacement have the best low end but have the same the drag on the engine the centi's do.
NIN881 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2004, 12:46 AM   #43
ssrogers
DC Crew

Member #9828

My Corvette(s)
'08 Black Z51 6spd

Sorry, but if I did anything it would be this turbo kit and if you look at the dyno sheet you will see that it is a very flat torque curve. Besides, some of my "import" friends say that the feeling of turbo lag is very addicting. How it just keeps pulling you back harder and harder. And if you have the correct size turbos and all that then you can reduce turbo lag.

Just kinda looking at the dynos on the website. Most of the torque is there by 2500rpms and the horsepower continues to build right up to redline. I have not had the oportunity to drive a manual C5 yet, but I would think that after you get off the line you never see below 2500rpm again.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:00 PM   #44
frank m
DC Crew

Member #15839

My Corvette(s)
blk 2000 mn6 coupe

Re: Re: Stock C5 compared to a Cobra?

Quote:
Originally posted by chris450R
hey NIN881, i am ssrogers friend that is going to get a Cobra. no ever said that it was a sports car and could handle in stock form like a Vette. now i don't plan on keeping it stock by all means. the handling will definitely be delt with to increase performance in that aspect. and yeah i know that it is more of a muscle car than sports car that is what i like about it. it is muscular. i love all the old school muscle cars. i am muscle car at heart. but my cobra will be a force to be reconded with on the track and strip! not meaning to to preach at ya but i know that it is not equal to a Vette, that is what is going to keep it interesting between me and my buddy!
The best thing about corvettes is the fact that they have always been both a muscle car and a sports car rolled into one.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:09 AM   #45
Z06 Parrot

Member #15527

Quote:
Are you feeling ok? Did you just say the quality is better in a mustang than in a vette?
I know Roadfrog well!!!!!!!!

When he posted this he must have been listening to "The Wall" and lighting up!!!!!!!!!

Gosh, Roadfrog, have you really have gone off the deep end!!!!!!!!!!!

Z06 Parrot is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in