Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Got a new car(to me)

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  72SBVet 
#1 ·
Got a 2007 Mercedes Benz CLS550 AMG car with the 5.5L, 7 speed auto, and Airmatic suspension. That damn car will fly!!!! Just changed the oil and noticed a fuel leak at the tank on top of it. I have all the factory manuals and will see how much of a PITA it will be to pull as it stretches over the diff from fender to fender and that diff will be a bitch to drop. 90% of the bolts are E Torx so I will have to expand my inventory E Torx bits. Also had a P0022 code which could be the VVT solenoid magnets or the crank sprocket starting to wear as they had a batch of bad ones that were to soft and would get chewed up resulting in piston hitting valve and buying a $15k+ engine, but that timing set is $1k by itself and requires several special tools to install it. I will be having fun over the next few months fixing oddball stuff and getting it back to 100% again.

#3 ·
Those AMGs are dynamite fast. When my wife got one of her MBs, I tried to talk her into an AMG but she said she didn't need that much. I said what about me and she replied, ...and just why do you think I'm going to let you drive it? 75K+ miles and the only time I have driven it without her in it was to get it serviced or to put gas in it:laughing:

#6 ·
Thanks guys !!! I will take some pics and post up. I got a new rim in yesreday as the original had been welded up and re-cracked so that ugly spare tyre is on it now...ugggh. The spare says no more then 50 mph, but I broke that speed to see what the car was truely about???
The car has some work to be done, but when complete it will be back at 100% sexy!!!!

#11 ·
Haven't read the repair manual yet. I will have to pull the rear subframe as some of the bushings are perished and may pull it then. The filler neck is passenger side and the leak is on the driver side.

#14 ·
Wiz you were correct about pulling the seat pads up. Found that there was a safety recall that lasted 15 years as the tanks torque and crack causing fuel to leak when full. It is specefic to the driver side and mine has such a strong smell that I get a headache within 30 seconds of being near the car. Calling the dealer tomorrow and if they play hardball then I will lawyer up.

#15 ·
I was looking for a CLS550 when I bought my car. I had found a 2008 AMG 550 for $18000 with 68,ooo miles on it. The styling is timeless. It will still look modern 10 years from now. The best execution of the 4 door coupe ever. The reason I didn't get it was that I had driven to Charlotte, NC to look at it from Hendricks Mercedes. I stopped by Hendricks BMW by mistake and they had just taken a 535i wagon in on trade. X-drive AWD system and power everything.

They hadn't detailed it yet and it still looked brand new. It was owned by an old man that drove it from his house in Charlotte to his condo in Florida. He had babied this for 80,000 miles and it was really perfect. No paint chips, no dirt just an as new car. I got it for $10,000 and the leather still smelled new. Always garaged, serviced by the BMW dealer etc. I have 2 Impala SS cars that are fast. I have a Corvette vert that is just plain cool, a 2000 Tahoe with a 6" lift and 35" tires, a 2007 supercharged Grand Prix work car but I didn't have a station wagon.

If I would have driven the Mercedes first I'm certain that I would have bought it but the BMW is just different and the engine has to be under-rated. The twin turbo inline 6 says 300 HP but I'm certain it's more like 350. Every time I see a 550 I still think wow, what if?

Beautiful car and again, congratulations. Any major mechanical problems yet?

Here is the $10,000 BMW

And I had enough left over to get my Nephew his own BMW so he doesn't have to "Borrow" mine. His is a 2007 328i Coupe with a red interior. He's a good boy, just getting started and has a champagne taste and a beer budget. Now if I can just afford my next tank of gas.:cheers:

Yes, the CLS is still a step up from what I got and it is prettier but I'm satisfied. We could have bought a 2017 Hyundai for about the same price.:smack

#18 ·
No mechanical problems yet, but have a few worn bushings. The only thing I can think of is the crank sprocket as 2006 and 2007 had ones that were not hardened correctly and it will slip the chain and slam valves into pistons. The code is a P0022 for Bank 1 Camshaft A retarded timing and mine had that code, but also worn out VVT magnets will throw the same code. Will investigate and repair as necessary.

#20 ·
I got another rim and new tire. Haven't fixed the fuel leak but it only does that at full tank. The P0022 code is there but that is the VVT magnet going out and my engine serial # was high enough that it didn't make the list of the faulty crank sprockets. I have put over 200+ miles on it this week and average around 22 to 24 mpg. Most driving is short trips so I am very impressed with the MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.