76 project - Page 72 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 08-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #1066
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)
1970 Roadster, Mast Motorsports LS7, TKO 600, SS Frame, C4 suspension

I had mine aligned about 3 weeks ago and when I got home something told me to check the tightness of the bolts. Two of the 4 upper control arm pivot bolts had maybe 10 lbs tq. on them. If I hadn't checked them the exact same thing would have happened. I called them back and chewed on them.

No way to tell if that was all the shims or if any fell out. After you get done chewing on the alignment shop, have them redo their sloppy work at their expense.

Fuggers........ That could have caused a serious accident, gotten you and/or your wife injured or worse and/or totaled the 76. Sending Chucky over for some Redrum at the alignment shop is starting to sound like a good idea.
7TRoadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #1067
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I plan to revisit the guy who did the work on the front end. Unfortunately his shop is quite a ways away from me. Fortunately I like to drive. Hopefully get that done this week.
I also have an oil leak I need to address. It has always had a very, very slow leak since it came home. Usually I would just find a drop attached to the bottom of the car somewhere, but rarely would it even leave drops on the garage floor. Now it is a full on leak. Small puddle on the floor. Had to add the leftover 1/2 quart of oil I had. I am going to have it on a friends lift soon and can get a better look then. Could be a rear main? I also remember reading about some Pcv issues (Riggs?) but did not pay that much attention since I did not think I had a leak back then. May need to be vented better and add a catch can.
brent319 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #1068
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Well you could represent that it isn't drivable in it's current condition and request he foot the bill for a flat bed tow or pay for a local shop to do the repair work so you can then drive it to his place.

Just a thought.........

Old 09-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #1069
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

So I have been working under the hood of late. Got a steam port tube hooked up. I think when the guys first got this motor way back when, the ls knowledge bank was pretty empty, and they crimped off the steam tube. I fought with it and got it functional again. The hose is hanging loose right now but I have plans for that. I had to take the intake off and fuel rails, so I painted them up and it looks much better.

So while I was at it, this happened...

Yea, there was beer involved.

Some final shaping and filling and it should be good to go. My rad. Sits a bit low in the support and there is an ugly space there, and air blows past the radiator also. The cover will clean it up and seal it off. It came out pretty tight, and snaps into place.

I have not driven her for more than a week, which is a first, and also kind of sucked, btw. I am waiting for some parts to dry and thought I would take her out. Dead battery.
I wanted to roll her out and jump start her, but My driveway drops off steeply after you exit the garage. I could not open the door and put my leg out to roll her back so I would be in the car to stop the runaway vette.
A wise man once told me there is always a way, so I sat in the car for a minute. Then I thought " hey, this is a vette", opened the door slightly (still clearing the side of the garage door) and reached back to grab the back tire and rolled the car back by the wheel. Only in a vette.
Okay, maybe a cheetah also.
I did not plan on this taking as much time as it did. I hope to next address getting some cooler air to the motor. The intake temp was around 140 last time I took her out, which was about +60 degrees.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #1070
AirbornSilva
DC Crew

Member #119623

Looks like someone learned them some glassing skills
AirbornSilva is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #1071
AcidGypsy
DC Crew

Member #130578

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post
So I have been working under the hood of late. Got a steam port tube hooked up. I think when the guys first got this motor way back when, the ls knowledge bank was pretty empty, and they crimped off the steam tube. I fought with it and got it functional again. The hose is hanging loose right now but I have plans for that. I had to take the intake off and fuel rails, so I painted them up and it looks much better.

So while I was at it, this happened...

Yea, there was beer involved.

Some final shaping and filling and it should be good to go. My rad. Sits a bit low in the support and there is an ugly space there, and air blows past the radiator also. The cover will clean it up and seal it off. It came out pretty tight, and snaps into place.

I have not driven her for more than a week, which is a first, and also kind of sucked, btw. I am waiting for some parts to dry and thought I would take her out. Dead battery.
I wanted to roll her out and jump start her, but My driveway drops off steeply after you exit the garage. I could not open the door and put my leg out to roll her back so I would be in the car to stop the runaway vette.
A wise man once told me there is always a way, so I sat in the car for a minute. Then I thought " hey, this is a vette", opened the door slightly (still clearing the side of the garage door) and reached back to grab the back tire and rolled the car back by the wheel. Only in a vette.
Okay, maybe a cheetah also.
I did not plan on this taking as much time as it did. I hope to next address getting some cooler air to the motor. The intake temp was around 140 last time I took her out, which was about +60 degrees.

Nice! Watching the progress on this project.
AcidGypsy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #1072
Sly Vette
DC Crew

Member #118014

My Corvette(s)
1969 Convertible

I plan on tackling some glass projects in the future and your rad cover came out great!
I'll add that to the list...
Nice work!!!
Sly Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #1073
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Motor looks great all painted up.

The throttle cable looks like it couldn't get much tighter. I know, I know, quicker throttle response..........

All kidding aside it's looking good.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #1074
riggs 74
DC Crew

Member #78208

My Corvette(s)
74 vette

Brent, the engine bay looks just as nice as the outside of the car, beautiful.

Terry
riggs 74 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #1075
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Thanks, guys.
The throttle cable is something that was on the car and does not really fit that well. On the list of thing that needs fixed. Any suggestions welcome.
I forgot that when I was taking things apart I found out there was some slop in the cable and so I tightened that up a bit and it is much easier to run through the gears now that the throttle is running right.
I was hoping to finish up the radiator cover tomorrow, but the local guy is out of the icing filler that I was planning on using for the final coat before paint. I will shop around and see if there are other options available locally because I want this done.
I kind of enjoy working with fiberglass. It is so easy to make weird shapes. My first day as an intern at CIC was "fiberglassing 101" It was cool and windy today so I sat outside in the breeze and did my sanding there. That helped make it kind of relaxing.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #1076
gdh
DC Crew

Member #5976

My Corvette(s)
72 Vert.

A few years ago i had my front bushings replaced. On my drive home i heard something let go then my steering went. Turns out he finger tightened the retaining bolt on the idler arm and it fell off while going around a corner. I was on a secondary highway (50 mph) at the time and that was scary as all 'ell. Needless to say I was not happy when I got back to the mechanic's (also a friend) and he was apologizing and dod some other work for free. Now I check everything at least twice and do even more work myself.
gdh is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #1077
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Years back I had something worked on with my car. The kid who was doing the work looked like a real goober, but I felt bad for passing judgement upon him. I had not driven the car long when I knew it was not right. I pulled over and three of the lug nuts were missing and the others were not tight. Yikes. I was standing beside the car and the kid pulled up behind me yelling "stop!" Well, duh... I am standing beside the car. He goes on to inform me the lug nuts ain't tight. Double duh. He did tell me they would get me some new ones for free! Okay. After three consecutive "duh" moments I realized that sometimes people look like goobers because they are, in fact, goobers.
Back to corvette stuff. I sent a photo to the guy who did the work on the front end and he said that it was not right and to bring it over and he would fix it. That is what I wanted to hear from him and that's cool. In the meantime I went to Midwest frame and axle here in town. They have a very solid reputation, and have always treated me well. I stopped over and they said they would fix it up for 45 bucks. By the time I drove clear back to the first place again, I would have burned up 20 bucks in gas so I just figured spend the money and be done with it.
I took the car over there today and all the specs were right on, just a funky ass shim job going on. They fixed it up and when I checked out they said "how about 20 bucks"
Hell yea!
I am not sure what the first guy was doing, but I have no hard feelings toward him since he did not try to bs his way out of it and offerd to make it right, so it's all good.
Meanwhile I was about done with the radiator cover when I saw patro's thread and realized I should have extended the bracket to hold the top of the fans too, which changes everything about the cover. So I slapped done on it and put it on for now. The finish is not as good as I would like, but it will work until I hack it up and start over. I had planned on having a couple of nice bolts holding it on, but it snaps in place and is very solid without it.

The left side of the cover is catching a weird reflection, but does not really look that gorfed up.

There are a few local shows coming up over the next couple of weekends and I hope to hit a couple of them. The driving season is winding down quickly here in Iowa. Remaking the radiator bracket/ fan bracket and the cover will go on the ever growing "wait for winter" list.
I should probably go drive around now or something.

Edit: forgot to mention that it is my vettes birthday. It was born on 9/11. Where's the cake?

Last edited by brent319; 09-11-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #1078
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)
71 V12 restomod vert (Plan A) 73 L82 4 speed (Plan B)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post

Looking at this pic just makes my legs itch!!!

Nice work!!!
Richard454 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #1079
Denpo
DC Crew

Member #114149

My Corvette(s)
'76

This is top notch fiberglass work.
Denpo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #1080
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Denpo; Thanks for that. It means a lot after seeing your work on your car.
Richard; Fiberglass dust really does not bother me. I have been covered in the stuff (as you know) and never really had any reaction to it. I have to remember to put on a mask at times because I don't really think about how nasty it is.
As far as updates, Well now the vette is known as "Queen Larry" around the house. The CFO noted that we have a three car garage, and three cars sitting outside, as well as one 'vette inside. Hence the name.
I made a shelf for the T Tops a while back. It is nice to take them off and just hang them there without having to find a place to store them where they won't get scratched up.

The divider at top keeps them from touching.

I made some DTRL's. They are COB LED's and are quite bright. They fit in a bracket below the stock light housing and have a lens in front that I made with some clear casting resin. I may wire them up when I pull the dash over the winter so that they dim, but stay on when the headlights are on just because it would look kind of cool.

A while back I was in working on the 'vette in the garage because I was not at work or asleep. A guy walks in and tells me he lives down the street from me and has a 76 'Vette, and introduces himself as Larry. I kind of laughed. Last weekend we took the two 76 'vettes out for a spin. That was really fun to look up in the mirror and see him chasing me. Damn, these cars look cool going down the road.

In one of the photos you can see a bit of bare fiberglass below the car. When we were cranking on the car to get it into paint, we realized there was no flange for the front valance to bolt to. I worked through the night to make the flange, but I knew it would need some work to make the piece fit flush. I was in a hurry and thought, "I will worry about that later". Well it is later, so I have been sanding and forming the flange so the valance will fit right.
I have a list of projects for the winter so there should be more updates once it quits being so damn nice here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in