I am still at it. I fought with the 98 PCM forever and never did get it to communicate with HP Tuners. It would see it, but never verify and time out. After wasting way too much time on that I got a 2001 PCM and repinned the whole harness to work with that one. We stuck a tune in it and it ran like a harley. Two cylinders. Ouch. Grabbed another tune that should be close and put it in. It runs but very poorly. The good news is that it seems all of the sensors are reporting in. The bad news is that the guy who has the laptop is WAY busy with his own stuff that he needs to get taken care of before he can come back over and try to dial it in.
I got a lot of things finished up this winter and fixed some stuff I didn't like, but really I don't know where all the time went.
I got a harness from Richard and re-did the wiring to the headlight motors. Much cleaner. I mounted an over ride switch under the dash to bring them up if I want to service them or wax, or whatever.
I mounted the pot for the PWM box that controls the dash LEDs behind the plunger that controls the driver's side A/C ball vent. I had an empty hole there since the Vintage AC does not use them. The plunger fits over the pot (with a little drilling out) and I can turn it now to dim the lights.
I am mostly focused on things that get the car on the road now, but I have one SSM that I would really like to incorporate if time allows.
I think I have the VSS situation figured out. From all I have read and seen on schematics, the PCM wants a two wire sine wave from the VSS and the one I had is a three wire hall effect that generates a square wave. I need to order up a 2 wire and see if that fixes things.
I am working on finishing up modifying a spoiler for the front of the car. Photos to follow. It is a modified super spoiler and I think it will make the front look complete.
I have a set of fiberglass bumpers that Josh sent me. I have kind of mocked them up but that is about as far as I got since this other stuff took me so much time.
I had a hell of a time figuring out why my fans were not kicking in. No matter what I tested it seemed like they should work. They were wired through one relay, and it turned out it was bad. it was good enough to signal continuity but not good enough to spin the fans. Richard sent me some relays (THANKS!) and I wound up going with a 2 relay setup. I was going to use three and go parallel/series but in the end decided to just run one fan on low and 2 on high. I may eventually change that, but my reasoning was that I liked spreading the load across two relays (since I scorched one already) and also having them on different relays should leave me with at least one running if things go bad. Also: I knew I had two
I will finish up some stuff and take some photos as soon as I can. I have a three day weekend and hope to get some stuff knocked out.