76 project - Page 5 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #61
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I got to work on my car again yesterday. Things came together pretty well. I could not get the sandblaster to work, so I took the nozzle off and found this:

How does a beatle manage to get inside the sand blast cabinet and then climb inside the nozzle? That had to hurt.
I got my pedals in the mail yesterday. I needed them to change over from the auto to the six speed. I found the whole pack on eBay for $80 shipped. I thought that was a heck of a deal. They are in great shape really, but I think I will tear them down and powdercoat them anyway.

I was really worried about getting the rack an pinion in because of the motor-mount perches on my frame. The main support felt like it was not even close to fitting when I tried to stick it in. I made a cardboard mock up of it and was surprised to find that I only had to grind about 1/8" off of the left corner and then bend the flange on the right side few degrees and it bolted right up. *whew*

Here is another shot of the rack install. Yea, that is the Mistress in the background wondering why nobody gives her any love. Someday, hopefully soon, that car is going to be amazing.

Josh was busy sanding on Kaoss yesterday but he could tell I was stuck and came over and showed me how to pack the front bearings so I could put on the brakes. I think he thought I just wanted to see the new calipers hung on the rotors, but actually .. well okay.. he was right.

So the front is pretty much together!

I should be getting a package from Summit tomorrow with the hydraulic throw out bearing and hopefully the rear end will be back very soon too.
The plan was to have this car pretty well built up before I went on vacation and then Josh and I would blitz it to the end during my time off work. I didn't really get started on it until a few days into my vacation. My plan of driving it this fall is pretty much gone, though. Originally I thought it would be all done. Then I thought it would be together, but not painted. That would have been okay since I could have driven it and then let myself and my budget recover until next spring. Now I don't know where I am at. It is kind of depressing, but yet I looked at the frame and the hardware on it last night and know that everything on it is new or rebuilt and powder coated. Way better then when it was a new car. I never thought I would own something like that, much less be able to build it. So hopefully it will all work out. I don't think I will be driving this beast until next year, but it will be worth it in the end.
Well back to the shop........
brent319 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #62
t_l75
DC Crew

Member #98868

My Corvette(s)
1975 corvette coupe

Your car is coming along so great! I know exactly how you feel. I was hoping to get my body off finished almost 8 months ago, but here I am still
trying to prepare to start the engine. All I need to think about to keep me going is the fact that it will be all worth it in the end. Your definently moving a lot faster than I was in my restoration, and I can't wait to see your end result! Keep the hard work moving! Can't wait for the next update.
t_l75 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #63
77Custom
DC Crew

Member #86431

My Corvette(s)
77 Custom C3

Great work Brent! And don't beat yourself up on the time... there is only one thing you can count on when re-building a car... it will always take FOUR TIMES as long as you thought when you started! And a minimum of TWICE the anticipated cost, no matter how well you think you budget things!

Keep up the great work!
77Custom is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Robert Swope
Don't golf... fabricate!

FULL TILT : http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff412/FullTilt1977/

Old 07-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #64
Metalkid
DC Crew

Member #92641

My Corvette(s)
1978 Silver Anniversary Model #678

People see me working on my 78, and ask "When will you be done?" I used to say "in like 15 months", but that was a couple of years ago already. I never get depressed about the slow progress, however.as long as I can get a little work done everyday, I'm super happy, cause I'm building a badass piece of automotive art that is going to be way better than what came from the factory, and way way better than 99.9% of what is on the road today.

Most people can't even concieve of how awesome it is to be doing this kind of work, and the incredible results when its finished. Of course, you never really finish, technology moves forward, and there are more mods to be done!
Metalkid is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #65
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

My 2 week vacation is over tomorrow, and I am too burned out to even think about my car right now. I didn't work on the '76 much and that was about a week ago. Josh and I worked non-stop the whole time on Kaoss and it took its toll my old body. I spent 45 of the last 48 hours working on that car. We got it loaded and I ate some soup, took a shower, and went to bed.
The good part is that when I did work on my car it went pretty well. I hope Josh and I can get over there and get the Ram throw out figured out and get the LS1/Richmond mounted. THAT would make me feel really good again. The back end should be in the beginning of the week and if we get that installed and have a roller before he moves, it will be a good start.
Today, however, I am going to sit in the a/c and catch up on what you guys have been up to lately.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #66
t_l75
DC Crew

Member #98868

My Corvette(s)
1975 corvette coupe

that when your working on a car or your car for a long period of time, you just need to step
back and relaX for a little bait, take a breather from it. Then you can get back to work on it and crank out a lot of stuff. Because even though we all love our cars very much, sometimes they just frustrate you when you can't get somethin in or get somethin finished. The best thing to do is step
back, then get back to work. Seems like you have had a good vacation and keep
us updated on the progress! I wanna hear the beast come alive!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #67
Custom Image
Supporting Vendor

Member #98253

My Corvette(s)
1976, 1980, 1982, 2003

Brent my good friend I am truly going to miss having you at the shop. I have really enjoyed your company and watching your passion for this hobby grow. I hope that I have been able to teach you as much as you have wanted to learn. I'm sure I taught you stuff that you didn't want to learn too! You have been an invaluable asset to have around the shop and it will be hard to find someone as dedicated as you have been. We went through hell together and you just hung in there!

Don't worry about your car. Take it as far as you feel comfortable taking it without me around and then I will be more than happy to take her in at the new shop to get her finished. Hopefully you can find some more time off to come down and help get her past the finish line. We have some great mods in line for the car and it will be a beautiful machine when it is done!

later bro!
Custom Image is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
WWW.CustomImageCorvettes.com
Your One Stop LSx Swap Shop and source for everything C3
Old 08-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #68
shaulr
DC Crew

Member #65400

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post
I was working at the shop yesterday and Josh asked if I could help him with something. We go over to his truck and he opened it up. "unload that, it is YOUR stuff" Happy birthday to me, it was the mother load of VBP goodies.

I got everything except the brakes. That was another nice surprise. Josh had them powder coat 'em red, so I am guessing they might be another day or so. I got it all unloaded and accounted for. Can't wait to put it on the frame. It should be back from powder coat tomorrow.

I am headed back over now to clean up some parts and powder coat stuff. The parts that we are reusing seem amazingly clean so I hope it won't take quite as long. I am sure it will still take a while, though.
Nice work what kind of kit did you buy from VBP?
shaulr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
u.s not just vegas
Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #69
Custom Image
Supporting Vendor

Member #98253

My Corvette(s)
1976, 1980, 1982, 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaulr View Post
Nice work what kind of kit did you buy from VBP?
I ordered the performance plus system.
Custom Image is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
WWW.CustomImageCorvettes.com
Your One Stop LSx Swap Shop and source for everything C3
Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #70
shaulr
DC Crew

Member #65400

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post
I had a visitor at my house today:

Actually, Josh and I were at the shop all night and we took Kaoss out for a run. That was the first time I rode in the car. It is actually the first time I rode in a C3. That is odd because it is such an extreme c3 for a first ride in, and it is also kind of strange that I am spending all of this time and money building a car that I had never ridden in, much less driven.
I got some powder coating done over-night. I was really impressed how the "chrome" came out.
It did not look like much when it went on the shields, and I could hardly tell where I had dusted, but a couple of minutes in the oven and it came to life. I have kept everything black under the back end, but may do the inner part of the half-shafts in the "chrome" because that part is really smooth and it might look cool.
Josh gave me a corner of the shop to set up in and I moved into that tonight. A few days ago there was a shelf unit in front of an office that said "FREE" on it, so I grabbed it. I set it up along the back wall and put a bunch of parts on it.

A few days before that I was driving back from the shop and saw a brand new looking Jobox on the curb with "FREE" on it also. Yea, I grabbed it even though I don't have use for it. I gave it to Josh to put paint and stuff in. Man, I love this free stuff. I need to drive around and find some C3 seats with "FREE" on them also. I got one seat with the car and need to figure out what to do about that. I am running out of budget, and am tempted to just put some eBay racing seats in it just to get it on the road, but I sat in a friends car that had some of them and they really did not fit me at all. I hate to buy something without sitting in it first.
Here are some of the parts that I got coated tonight.

I have to sort through the small boxes on top tomorrow. They are full of baggies of bolts. I have to go through and see how well I labeled them to see if I can figure what goes where and replace them.
If things go well, I may get some of the front end put together today. We need to see if the rack will clear the motor mounts they put on the frame.
I also have to call Ram and see what hydraulic throw out I need to hook an LS1 up to a Richmond.
I am way behind where I should be on this, but I hope that things move along now. Most of the dirt work is done. I have to scrub under the body and sort through old, greasy bolts, but after that it should be much more fun. Everything on the car will be new, rebuilt, or cleaned up and powdercoated. That is the part I have been waiting for.
Thanks for following along.
What kind of rims are these? and what size? they look like 20"
shaulr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
u.s not just vegas
Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #71
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaulr View Post
What kind of rims are these? and what size? they look like 20"
Sadly, I don't know. I believe they are by intro. Rob? Josh?

I got to the shop a bit and got a little done! I was looking for a brake pedal on eBay and found a whole pedal pack for $60. EDIT: I worked on my spreadsheet last night and they were only $60, not $80 like I remembered.

It was in really nice shape, but it looks like they sprayed primer all over it. (including the contacts on the switches) So naturally I blasted and powder coated it.

I am not sure if I will like the "chrome" pedals or not, but I thought it might look cool.
I talked to Mike Dyer a couple of days ago and he has the rear end all finished up. It should be here sometime soon! I asked him about a bellhousing between the LS1 and the Richmond. I found a QT that I think will work and he said they are good. They are kind of pricey, but he said they are dead nuts on and that might save some headaches later on during the install. Anyone want to buy a Lakewood BB bellhousing? I will be posting it for sale when I get a chance.
Back to the shop... gonna see if I can get some brake lines run.

Last edited by brent319; 08-12-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #72
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I got over yesterday to the shop and got some brake lines run. I got to the back and realized I can't find the splitter that goes from the main line to the back and splits off to the left and right.
Today I started tearing apart the headlight assemblies and cleaning them up. There are a lot more parts in there then I expected. Probably head back over after dinner for a while.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #73
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Oh yea... Earlier today I worked on extracting the u joints out of the half shafts so I could clean them up and powder coat them. Josh did the first one, and then told me how to do the second one so I would know how it was done. When I did, I was able to push it through and take the cap off, but when I tried to push it back in, it would always bind up on me. I was able to get back to it today. The same thing happened again. I took my finger and cleaned the crud out of it and found that there is a ridge worn into one side of the half shaft. That was catching the u joint and jacking it sideways. I flipped the thing around and did the other one in a few minutes. That was good because it restored my faith that I can, indeed, extract a u joint. It was bad because I am not sure if I can use the half shaft or not.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #74
t_l75
DC Crew

Member #98868

My Corvette(s)
1975 corvette coupe

I did that to one of mine, although mine wasn't a very deep lip
so I just took a dremel tool and put a small grinding stone on it and ground the surface a little more flat. When I pressed the new u joint back in, it had lots of pressure still on it so no chance of it sliding out. Once again, the lip
that mine had was very small
so o ground out the lip just barely. You might be able to do that and you might not. Hope
you get it figured out
Old 08-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #75
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday I left the shop feeling pretty good. I was able to get the u joint out by working it back and forth. I had been unable to proceed with the brake lines because I lost 2 fittings that go in the back. I looked over and over and could not find them. I decided I must have thrown them out with the old brake lines. Last night I moved something and found them both! I cleaned them up and they are ready to go.

I also could not find one of the angle brackets for the parking brake. I found it on the end of the old brake line.

So I left last night feeling pretty good. I can clean up the half shafts today and powder coat them..
I got over there after work and blasted the half shafts. That went well. Spent a lot of time masking off all of the stuff that needs to be masked. Thought I would pre-bake them since they are really smooth and would like a nice finish on them. Okay...
I went to take them out of the oven and the rack was warmer then I expected and the gloves were getting pretty toasty. In my haste to set the rack down, I dropped the whole thing. Not on the floor, though.
I managed to drop the whole deal in a drip pan that had old tranny fluid in it.
Is there a Murphy's Law for powder coating?
Going to grab some dinner and head back over to fix my stupid mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in