76 project - Page 73 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #1081
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I have had to put the vette away for the winter. Larry is resting on wheel blocks now so I can take care of a lot of things I have been putting off. I think my insurance covers 3,000 miles a year. I got my money's worth I guess.

I have gutted the interior again and cut all the wires loose from their looms. Damn what a mess. I am going to finish some stuff, add some stuff, and clean up some other stuff.

I hope to get a front spoiler made for the car, get the stereo in, and make some kind of cold air induction setup. I also need to figure out why my 98 ecu won't hook up to HP tuners. I am not sure if it is because it is an oddball year ecu or if there is something else going on. I can read engine temp, etc on the iPod from the obd dongle, so it has me stumped.
It is really cold in the garage and summer seems like a long ways away, but I need to get pushing on this stuff.
PTOB
brent319 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #1082
waljr
DC Crew

Member #134034

My Corvette(s)

i started mocking a cai up today to go over the radiator. I would love to give carbon fibre a go.
It looks even easier than glass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeeSsmsm9h0

K&N have calculations on their site to work out required filter surface area - http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm

Can't wait to see your ideas.

my wife's friend's last 2 dogs & cow were all named Larry. Now she gets a bit upset when we shorten her one year old's name Lawrence to Larry...
waljr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #1083
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I have done a little work with carbon fiber and it is neat stuff. I personally think fiberglass is a lot easier but less cool and also expensive because that is how it goes. I think glass is easier since you can grind off and add to anything you build. We always have a hard time getting th vacuum to hold on the mold and are still trying to get that part right.
I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a cold air setup. I was just in the garage looking at mine and contemplating drawing air over and under the core support but collecting it from one end so there is a nice straight run for the MAF.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #1084
riggs 74
DC Crew

Member #78208

My Corvette(s)
74 vette

Your up grades will be cool to see come to life.

The front spoiler will give the car a much stronger appearance when veiwing the car from the front.

As far as the ECU not being read with HP tuners, have you tried several other HP data cords to see if its not just in the cord it's self? Just a thought.

Terry
riggs 74 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #1085
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I could not get it to read on my buddies setup and then went to the local dyno guy and asked if he would just plug in and see if he had signal. Nope.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #1086
riggs 74
DC Crew

Member #78208

My Corvette(s)
74 vette

Brent, I would do a search about the ECU type that you have and see if its a known problem, it could be a matter of just needing to swap out the ecu for a new one of the same type. Or the next possibility may be in the data link connector or circuit to the Ecu. You might check the pin out on the connector and verify that its right. I don't have a source for the pin out diagram for that data link connector, but its shouldnt be hard to find on the web.
You may have already thought of this, i just figured I'd mention it.

Terry
riggs 74 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to riggs 74 For This Useful Post:
brent319 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #1087
AirbornSilva
DC Crew

Member #119623

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post
I have had to put the vette away for the winter. Larry is resting on wheel blocks now so I can take care of a lot of things I have been putting off. I think my insurance covers 3,000 miles a year. I got my money's worth I guess.
Brent, who do you have for insurance? I need to look around.
AirbornSilva is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #1088
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Looking at getting a new truck so larry is on hold for a couple of days.
Airborn: I have insurance through national corvette museum. I went through adam bocca and he is a vette guy so he understood what I have done to the car and helped me come up with agreed value. I can't really say how good they are since all they have done so far is take my money and never had to pay out. Hopefully I never find out.
The Following User Says Thank You to brent319 For This Useful Post:
AirbornSilva (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #1089
AirbornSilva
DC Crew

Member #119623

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post
Looking at getting a new truck so larry is on hold for a couple of days.
Airborn: I have insurance through national corvette museum. I went through adam bocca and he is a vette guy so he understood what I have done to the car and helped me come up with agreed value. I can't really say how good they are since all they have done so far is take my money and never had to pay out. Hopefully I never find out.
Thanks Brent, I'll have to check them out.
AirbornSilva is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 03:08 AM   #1090
Pops71lives
DC Crew

Member #132985

My Corvette(s)

Brent did you run the speedo through the tranny or the gps unit autometer has? Just curious. I'm about to cross that bridge.
Pops71lives is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #1091
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

The speedo is running off a VSS on the trans. I actually did not know about GPS sender. Hmmm
I got my truck ordered and am back on the vette. I have to finish up wiring inside and the headlight motors are getting modified (more on that later ) and then I can get back to the ecu and VSS problems.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 AM   #1092
Pops71lives
DC Crew

Member #132985

My Corvette(s)

http://www.autometer.com/universal-g...ce-module.html

Here's a link Brent. I didn't order it and was hoping to avoid an extra 180.00. I guess I'll see what happens. Have you had issue with accuracy or signal? My gauges should be here in the next week or two. Congrats on the truck.
Pops71lives is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #1093
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Ouch. I did not expect that to be so much.
I had no problems at all getting the speedo to read. I calibrated it and it is spot on with my GPS speed on my phone. My tach was reading 2X rpm when I first hooked it up, but I found the dip switches to set it to 4 cyl and it worked fine. Then it started to read double again later. After I had the dash back in. I am guessing the dip switches are not quite set as they are inside the gauge, and I should be able to get that working now that the dash is out anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to brent319 For This Useful Post:
Pops71lives (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #1094
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Brent I bet you bought Christmas presents for the kids a year in advance just so you could keep them wandering what the hell was in the package. I've never known anyone to keep us in suspense as you do It does make your mods that more intriguing. OK ill bite, what more can you do to the headlight motors?

Mark
Marks76ray is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
My Build Link https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=148376

My Picture Link
http://www.supermotors.net/users/Busterbronco

I find a little piece of sanity through my vette project, other than that I rely on Jesus.

re·ly-Definition of

Depend on with full trust or confidence.
synonyms: depend on, place reliance on;
Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #1095
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I am still at it. I fought with the 98 PCM forever and never did get it to communicate with HP Tuners. It would see it, but never verify and time out. After wasting way too much time on that I got a 2001 PCM and repinned the whole harness to work with that one. We stuck a tune in it and it ran like a harley. Two cylinders. Ouch. Grabbed another tune that should be close and put it in. It runs but very poorly. The good news is that it seems all of the sensors are reporting in. The bad news is that the guy who has the laptop is WAY busy with his own stuff that he needs to get taken care of before he can come back over and try to dial it in.
I got a lot of things finished up this winter and fixed some stuff I didn't like, but really I don't know where all the time went.
I got a harness from Richard and re-did the wiring to the headlight motors. Much cleaner. I mounted an over ride switch under the dash to bring them up if I want to service them or wax, or whatever.
I mounted the pot for the PWM box that controls the dash LEDs behind the plunger that controls the driver's side A/C ball vent. I had an empty hole there since the Vintage AC does not use them. The plunger fits over the pot (with a little drilling out) and I can turn it now to dim the lights.

I am mostly focused on things that get the car on the road now, but I have one SSM that I would really like to incorporate if time allows.
I think I have the VSS situation figured out. From all I have read and seen on schematics, the PCM wants a two wire sine wave from the VSS and the one I had is a three wire hall effect that generates a square wave. I need to order up a 2 wire and see if that fixes things.
I am working on finishing up modifying a spoiler for the front of the car. Photos to follow. It is a modified super spoiler and I think it will make the front look complete.
I have a set of fiberglass bumpers that Josh sent me. I have kind of mocked them up but that is about as far as I got since this other stuff took me so much time.
I had a hell of a time figuring out why my fans were not kicking in. No matter what I tested it seemed like they should work. They were wired through one relay, and it turned out it was bad. it was good enough to signal continuity but not good enough to spin the fans. Richard sent me some relays (THANKS!) and I wound up going with a 2 relay setup. I was going to use three and go parallel/series but in the end decided to just run one fan on low and 2 on high. I may eventually change that, but my reasoning was that I liked spreading the load across two relays (since I scorched one already) and also having them on different relays should leave me with at least one running if things go bad. Also: I knew I had two good relays.
I will finish up some stuff and take some photos as soon as I can. I have a three day weekend and hope to get some stuff knocked out.
PTOB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in