Originally Posted by stinger430
Skynet will become self aware any day now.
My son, the degreed Software Engineer skilled in AI, calls me names (like paranoid) when I say that. He says that will never happen. I say he is naïve. Might be our biggest disagreement. One thing he IS right about, our outlook on the subject will have zero impact on the steamrolling tech coming.
For now, this particular tech should help shave some pounds from the C8 while adding more functionality/features...maybe with commands made milliseconds faster = safer.
Other impact possibilities:
1. Fewer recalls because of updates ? Maybe.
2. Mandatory Recall visits to the dealer reinforced by remote messaging/compliance or performance reductions? Likely.
3. Performance updates for $$$ just like Tesla? Maybe, but subject to emissions laws, so maybe not or very costly.
4. Will GM be notified when owner adds aftermarket performance updates? VERY likely. Going forward, I would guess that every aftermarket performance add/ECM adjustment MUST be pre-approved by GM in order to assure GM updates don't return the affected control module does not reset the module to stock parameters.
5. On board logs maintained showing speeds, tire spin, number of times the DIC is set to "Full Performance?" Probably that and more.
It will be interesting to see exactly what develops from this new tech...not just for the C8, but the commuters and grocery getters too.