Interesting Quebec facts - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 04-12-2019, 05:47 AM   #1
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Interesting Quebec facts

1. Quebec banned ads for toys and fast food aimed at children under 13, resulting in lowered childhood obesity rates.

2. Before Vermont became a state they tried to become part of Quebec, but Quebec refused so Vermont joined the United States instead.

3. A man was fined $9.4 million and sentenced to 8 years in jail for stealing 3,000 tonnes of maple syrup which cost $18.7 million from Quebec reserve in 2012.

4. The surrounding regions of Quebec are “missing” gravity. This area has the lowest gravity on Earth.

5. Quebec “unofficially” got rid of Slavery in 1798, 35 years before it was abolished because the Chief of Justice couldn’t find any laws to punish an escaped slave named Charlotte who refused to return to her master- so he set her free. Other slaves found out and started doing the same thing.

6. In 1963, the Quebec government bought out all the private power companies and nationalized electricity. Today, 96% of Quebec’s power is from hydroelectricity, and it has some of the cheapest electricity rates in North America while earning billions in revenue.

7. Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! in Quebec, Canada, is the only town in the world with two exclamation points in its name.

8. Beginning in the 1940s through the 1960s, the Quebec government collaborated with the Catholic Church to falsely certify 20,000 “orphaned” children as mentally ill and confine them to psychiatric institutions. The orphans were then subjected to medical experimentation and sexual abuse.

9. In Francophone Quebec stop signs have “Arrêt” written on them although “Stop” is a valid word in French and France itself uses “Stop” on stop signs.

10. The Canadian province of Quebec is responsible for 75% of the world’s maple syrup production.

11. Canada built a reservoir within the remnant of an ancient eroded meteor crater. Visible from space, it is known as “The Eye of Quebec”.

12. The level of violent crime and homicides in Quebec is far lower than almost all other large cities in Canada or the USA. For twenty months, between November 1st, 2006 and July 14th, 2008, the city of Québec reported no homicide on its territory.

13. A massive ice storm in Quebec in 1998 helped scientists to understand “epigenetic inheritance”: stress on pregnant moms during the prolonged power outage led to changes in infants’ DNA that is linked to illnesses later in life. The research program was named Project Ice Storm.

14. Every winter, Quebec City builds an ice castle and often uses it to imprison people who are judged too glum for the holiday season.

15. Quebec language police once tried to ban the word “pasta” for not being French.

16. In 1690, during the Battle of Quebec, the Governor-General of New France, Louis de Buade de Frontenac, was delivered a summons of surrender by the English. Asked for a written response, he declared “I have no reply to make to your general other than from the mouths of my cannons and muskets.”

17. In Quebec, Canada, there is a fast food poutine restaurant where your poutine’s price decreases with negative temperatures in winter.

18. Before Quebec mandated winter tires in 2008, they found that 10% of cars on all-seasons accounted for 33-38% of winter accidents.

19. In Quebec, it actually is illegal to drive with the interior light on in your car.

20. The Hôtel de Glace is a hotel in Quebec City that is made entirely of snow and ice. Each year, it is reconstructed over the course of a month with a different theme.

21. Quebec celebrates “Canada Day” by making it their “Moving Day”, making moving companies work around the clock.

22. From 1965-66 a brewer in Quebec was found to be adding too much Cobalt Sulfate (a stabilizer) to their beer when over 50 people became ill with Alcoholic Cardiomyopathy, eventually killing 20. Not knowing what do with the remaining beer, the brewer dumped it into the St Lawrence River.

23. Quebec City, specifically old historic Quebec, is one of only two remaining fortified cities in North America, the other being in Mexico.

24. In 1995, there was a vote for independence in Quebec, Canada. 50.58% voted No and 49.42% voted Yes.

25. A winery in Quebec creates tomato wine.

26. In 2008, the Blue Angles, RAF Red Arrows, Canada’s Snowbirds, and the US airforce thunderbirds all flew together in celebration of the 400 anniversary of Quebec this is the only time all 4 teams have performed together.

27. In October, the community of Bécancour, Quebec, hollow out their largest pumpkins and carve them into boats for the annual regatta on the Bécancour River, known as Potirothon.

28. The last Feudal dues in Quebec were paid off in 1970.

29. There is a chimpanzee sanctuary in Quebec, where former lab and zoo chimpanzees can live out the rest of their days in peace.

30. The village of Trois-Pistoles, Quebec relies on an annual influx of anglophone students during the 12 weeks of French immersion summer school for its local economy. The town hasn’t grown much since 1904 and its 1873 rail station stands unused.

31. Before its completion in 1919, the Quebec Bridge collapsed twice on September 11th, 1907 and August 29th, 1916.

32. The oldest grocery store in North America is in Quebec City.

33. College Des Medecins of Quebec as recently as 2013 had to forbid its doctors from performing “Virginity Tests”.

34. The first USS Enterprise was a Quebec built British sloop-of-war captured in 1775 by a force led by Benedict Arnold. It was burned in 1777 to prevent the British from recapturing it.

35. In Quebec, it is very legally difficult and sometimes impossible for a married woman to take her husband’s surname and so it is not common.

36. 1 in 3 prescriptions goes unfilled, according to a study in Quebec, even though 50% of citizens have some provincial drug coverage.

37. Quebec incurred $1.5 billion in debt while hosting the 1976 Olympics. They finished paying off the debt in December 2006.

38. There was a small village in rural Quebec which ceased to exist in 1971 after half the town was pushed into a canyon 100 feet deep by a landslide.

39. In Quebec, there is a superstition that a man named Bonhomme sept-heures will kidnap a child if he is out of bed after 7, and carries a bag with which to dispose of children.
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport

Last time I was in Quebec in February, I hired a cab to drive me to the airport in the morning. Even though 10 inches of snow fell overnight, that cabby drove unfazed. It was one of the most exciting rides I've ever experienced.
KennyGS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in