Vintage Air in a Pace Car - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 09-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Vintage Air in a Pace Car

A while ago now, there were a few who were asking about vintage air in a 77-82. Of course it can be done, and I struggled to find pics of how to adopt a 74-76 to fit in a 77-82. We finally got a 77-82 in for a vintage air kit only. So I will post a small handful of pics showing install, and provide focus on changes for 77-82. I will start with pics before teardown. Here we go..

That is our starting point. here is the new compressor and evap installed..

That Part of the job is the same as on all c3's pretty much. The hood has to come off. Here it the firewall stripped of the old a/c box and hardware..

So here we are different for 77-82. instead of multiple pieces, the dash on these c3's is pretty much one piece. I have done this a bunch of times already and found a way to do this without removing the dash. Also, this kit deletes fresh air. if you want fresh air, put your damn windows down. here is the fresh air door removed and waiting for cap..

autowiz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to autowiz For This Useful Post:
HN376RAR (03-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
Metalkid
DC Crew

Member #92641

My Corvette(s)
1978 Silver Anniversary Model #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
A while ago now, there were a few who were asking about vintage air in a 77-82. Of course it can be done, and I struggled to find pics of how to adopt a 74-76 to fit in a 77-82. We finally got a 77-82 in for a vintage air kit only. So I will post a small handful of pics showing install, and provide focus on changes for 77-82. I will start with pics before teardown. Here we go..

WOW!!! Is that the original CB Radio Option in this pic?
Metalkid is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

yup sure is. blue gm sticker right where the mic is and everything.

the vintage air kits now come with the defroster duct and it screws right to the underside of the dash where the defroster vent grill screws. for 77-82 this vent just snaps in and there are no bosses or holes to screw the duct to, and drilling new holes brings the chance of drilling through the dash. so the right answer here is to modify the old defroster vent like we used to with all the vintage air kits sold before this year. like so..

the side vents are square for 77-82 instead of round. and while the air inlet on the rear of the vents is round it is not a compatible diameter with anything that comes in the kit. so these are the extra pieces we will not use..

and this is how i modified the driver's side vent. very simple. in installations past, i have used rivets, and spray foam, but this method right here seems to get the best fastest results. and works great. no air leaking under dash. plenty of airflow out of vents..

And for the passenger side, the hose is the perfect size to just push into the hole on the backside of the vent. just push in enough that it wont back out..

Old 10-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

Nice......thanks for the post, this install really doesn't look as bad as I have in my head. Even if I do have to pull the dash for heater core it still doesn't look terrible. I do realize you didn't post wiring and so on.
blueday is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Here is the center console modified for the control head we like to use. this is another 77-82 thing. before 77 the vintage air kits come with a rebuild kit for the factory control head. vintage air has a selection of universal control heads..

The cb radio does not fit with the vintage air kit so we are upgrading the radio. I took a pic of the space between the bezel and a/c box / plenum and the pic looks a lot more forgiving that what it really is..

Back under the hood, I still have to cut ac hoses to length and put ends on them and I also have some electrical work to do. here are the a/c hoses that are supplied in the 74-76 kit..

You can see my electrical center I made. it is just a plate as always, but this is one of the smallest I have made as this is only a vintage air kit. so just the circuit breaker that comes with the kit and I add a relay and in-line fuse holder for electric fan and trinary switch and temp switch we also add to all our vintage air installations.

Here are the ends for the hoses that come with the kit..

These ends must be put on with a hydraulic crimper. Like this one..

Old 10-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueday View Post
Nice......thanks for the post, this install really doesn't look as bad as I have in my head. Even if I do have to pull the dash for heater core it still doesn't look terrible. I do realize you didn't post wiring and so on.
Once the evap box is stripped off the outside of the firewall, I use an air saw to cut the brass heater core inlet/outlet as far back as possible. once these short pipes are removed, the heater box will just fall down and come out the pass. side footwell. no dash removal. just remove the center bezel/radio, glove box, and the 2 screws on the side of the dash that hold the dash to the car. you will need an offset screwdriver for one of those screws. Getting the Vintage Air box back in is a more delicate procedure. you just go slow and don't force anything. and it will fit.

The wiring is pretty simple. the kits come with premade harnesses and only need to be attached to power, gnd, ignition, and illumination. On the main power wire there is a 30 amp circuit breaker for protection. the vintage air control heads all come with a harness that just plugs right into the a/c box.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #7
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Thanks for the information Wiz. I have one question, the plate that vintage air supplies to block off the large hole when the GM AC is removed. From what I understand the Vintage Air plate sticks out about 3/4" from the fire wall for clearances. On my 76 I have already sealed that hole with fiberglass flat to the firewall in the effort to clean that area up. I did this before reading about the Vintage Air cover plate being 3/4" sticking out towards the engine. Will I run into a clearance problem leaving the firewall flat as I have it now.

Mark
Marks76ray is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
My Build Link https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=148376

My Picture Link
http://www.supermotors.net/users/Busterbronco

I find a little piece of sanity through my vette project, other than that I rely on Jesus.

re·ly-Definition of

Depend on with full trust or confidence.
synonyms: depend on, place reliance on;
Old 05-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

yes you will. The heater core inlet/outlet stick out a little beyond the rear of the casing and the block off plate is recessed towards the engine bay to provide clearance for this. I don't think that means it is not doable. you just might have to make up a half an inch somewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to autowiz For This Useful Post:
Marks76ray (05-15-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #9
79 C3
DC Crew

Member #165754

My Corvette(s)
C3

Very good information and very helpful
79 C3 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
AGVI
DC Crew

Member #2794

My Corvette(s)
1980 406ci 550HP, Mighty Demon 850 Tuned by Lars, TH350 3000 Stall by Jakes, 3.70 Gears by Mike Dyer

Great thread! I just wanted to know which control unit you went with.

Thanks, Les
AGVI is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
SS/A Vette
DC Crew

Member #179793

Thanks for moving this thread to the top and also to the OP for posting this!!

I'm about to undergo this install and seeing makes it a little less intimidating. My dash is already out and factory ac already removed. Onward and upward!!
SS/A Vette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2018, 03:34 AM   #12
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Make sure you post some pic SS
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 07-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #13
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGVI View Post
Great thread! I just wanted to know which control unit you went with.

Thanks, Les

There is a 3 knob universal controller you can get from vintage air in either shiny aluminum/chrome or black. I have designed and made a piece to fit this control head without any modifications to the shift console. Here is my 3d printed part installed from the backside of the shift console..

And from the front..

For a more detailed description of this control head adapter you can also see this thread: https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/for...d.php?t=270306
Old 07-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #14
blueday
DC Crew

Member #49549

My Corvette(s)
79 VETTE

I can say that looks much cleaner, nicer and smaller than the classic auto air bullet controller.
blueday is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #15
AGVI
DC Crew

Member #2794

My Corvette(s)
1980 406ci 550HP, Mighty Demon 850 Tuned by Lars, TH350 3000 Stall by Jakes, 3.70 Gears by Mike Dyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
There is a 3 knob universal controller you can get from vintage air in either shiny aluminum/chrome or black. I have designed and made a piece to fit this control head without any modifications to the shift console. Here is my 3d printed part installed from the backside of the shift console...For a more detailed description of this control head adapter you can also see this thread: https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/for...d.php?t=270306

Yes Sir, I know about your adapter (awesome by the way!)
Is this the correct controller?
491223-RUA - Upgrade 3-Knob Gen IV ProLine™ Oval Horizontal Control Panel with Black Anodized Face and Knobs

AGVI is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in