It's That Time, Again. - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #31
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
I think we are exaggerating that just a bit. I have a 15-20 minute ride to work. It can take a bit longer when traffic is real bad. But on Saturday and on my lunchbreak I can get to or from in about 10. It is an enjoyable ride with my quiet exhaust, cold a/c, and the morning news on the 10.1" android head unit.
It's your only personal car to get around.
Certain criteria has to be met by You.
So compromises made to meet the goal.
Now you have the drag racing Bug.
It's dominated the online Facebook groups Motorsports world. You know how big it is.

Just like drag racing fast compromises are made.
Creature comforts go.
My only criteria I must have comfy Uhpohlstered racing seats.

Creature comforts can stay.
Need a Huge Hp Shot.
You choose how much to spray in.
It all fits under a stock Corvette hood.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #32
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
He is Correct. You know it also.
Ok, so you pull your 8th set of spark plugs and see a little aluminum on the spark plug. Well here is your ignition maps. Please tell me what changes you might make to this table based off of your eyecrometer just looking at the tip of a spark plug..

The correct way here is to log knock retard to a map or graph setup with the same breakpoints as the ignition map and ride around and log data. Let the map fill up with knock retard data in the cells it is happening then copy and paste subtracting the map from the ignition map and you have made the correct correction for detonation. Now go out and drive the car again and make sure there is no more kr. And this is how we verify our tuning in efi. It is all by data directing you to make very specific changes to very specific cells. 10 sets of plugs absolutely screams this person does not trust or know how to work with the data they are logging. Period.

We can check our spark plugs and I was saying that in an effort to be nice but honestly we verify by having noise present in the kr sensor and tuning the noise out without laxing the calibration for the kr sensor. Most relax the calibration for the knock sensor and blame the noise on 'fake kr' or burst knock because it pulls timing and they cant stop it any other way. And maybe that is why so many of these custom built and tuned engines live such a short life. I don't. I tune the right way. I am proud to follow procedure even after all these years. It affords me consistent performance as the tuner of vetteXperts.
autowiz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #33
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
My only criteria Creature comforts can stay.

Now you're getting it.

Because a good time starts with being comfortable. Am I right or am I right?

And most people generally associate being uncomfortable with a bad time.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #34
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Ok, so you pull your 8th set of spark plugs and see a little aluminum on the spark plug. Well here is your ignition maps. Please tell me what changes you might make to this table based off of your eyecrometer just looking at the tip of a spark plug..

The correct way here is to log knock retard to a map or graph setup with the same breakpoints as the ignition map and ride around and log data. Let the map fill up with knock retard data in the cells it is happening then copy and paste subtracting the map from the ignition map and you have made the correct correction for detonation. Now go out and drive the car again and make sure there is no more kr. And this is how we verify our tuning in efi. It is all by data directing you to make very specific changes to very specific cells. 10 sets of plugs absolutely screams this person does not trust or know how to work with the data they are logging. Period.

We can check our spark plugs and I was saying that in an effort to be nice but honestly we verify by having noise present in the kr sensor and tuning the noise out without laxing the calibration for the kr sensor. Most relax the calibration for the knock sensor and blame the noise on 'fake kr' or burst knock because it pulls timing and they cant stop it any other way. And maybe that is why so many of these custom built and tuned engines live such a short life. I don't. I tune the right way. I am proud to follow procedure even after all these years. It affords me consistent performance as the tuner of vetteXperts.
What Do You do If you can not LS Swap it and no computer setup to Datalog and no HP Tuners to use ?
It's no prep drag racing.
$10k to win in 3 days have a chance to.

No Knock sensors also.
Using Nitromethane Fuel too.
Melt any wideband instant.
Nitrous big shots tend to do the same.
Header pipes instant 2500-4000 F glowing white incandescent Hot !
Old 05-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #35
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Now you're getting it.

Because a good time starts with being comfortable. Am I right or am I right?

And most people generally associate being uncomfortable with a bad time.
Naaaa....Hero Action to me.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #36
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Naaaa....Hero Action to me.
No, No. Let's call this spade a spade. OLD SCHOOL action for you. There was a Nissan GTR there with a full interior and A/C that was doing 8's. And a McLaren that was doing mid 9's. Again full interior carpet a/c nothing stripped from the performance exotic car. Today if you have the money to spend to go real fast you can very much do it in the lap of luxury.

You seem to be so lost in a time where we had to shock the hell out our drivelines to get a good launch. And you don't see that it is because you had so few gears to play with before electronic control. Did you know there really are no transbrake kits available for the 6l80E? For the simple fact that first gear is already 4.02:1. You cant play like that with your th400, dude. And that is just the 6 speed. Today we have 8, 9 and even 10 speed transmissions. You don't have to be uncomfortable to go fast. You want to be uncomfortable and enjoy putting yourself in that position. You masochistic freak.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #37
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
No, No. Let's call this spade a spade. OLD SCHOOL action for you. There was a Nissan GTR there with a full interior and A/C that was doing 8's. And a McLaren that was doing mid 9's. Again full interior carpet a/c nothing stripped from the performance exotic car. Today if you have the money to spend to go real fast you can very much do it in the lap of luxury.

You seem to be so lost in a time where we had to shock the hell out our drivelines to get a good launch. And you don't see that it is because you had so few gears to play with before electronic control. Did you know there really are no transbrake kits available for the 6l80E? For the simple fact that first gear is already 4.02:1. You cant play like that with your th400, dude. And that is just the 6 speed. Today we have 8, 9 and even 10 speed transmissions. You don't have to be uncomfortable to go fast. You want to be uncomfortable and enjoy putting yourself in that position. You masochistic freak.
Your Probably partial correct.
I am stuck in time from 1970s - 2005.
My Old Neighbor Mike I grew up next to was a Diehard Chevy guy with a low 10 second ET 1975 Chevy Monza.
It had a 355 ci 14:1 static compression SBC Based off a 327 SBC block.
It had JE pistons, Bill Miller Aluminum rods 6.0 inches center to center.
Factor iron Full Race ported 2.02 double hump heads.
Weiland Tunnel Ram with A pair of Holley 660s 4-bbls.
Full Roller Crane Cam and valvetrain.
It revved to 9500 rpm.
Turbo 400 Trans with a Transbrake.
5500 rpm Coan 8 inch Torque converter.
Big Tire car.
Huge Goodyear Slicks.
1957 Pontiac 9.3 Rear Diff narrowed with Mark Williams 35-spline axles. Strange Engineering Race spool billet steel. 5.57 :1 Richmond Gears.
Looked very much like Grumpy Jenkins Toy Drag car.
It was a custom Maroon paint.
Mike was a Body paint man for a living.
He drove a 1978 Trans Am daily or a Chevy K5 Blazer on 44s Super Swampers with an 8 inch lift kit

He kinda despised Pontiacs.
His Sister married a Mexican with the Fastest Pontiac around 12 miles away.
Mike called them the Fucking Wetback Mexicans.
Street Racing Rivalry.
Mondo and his brothers were into Pontiacs.
They had a 1974 Pontiac GTO X body.
They used a 1965 421 With factory Iron Ram Air 4 heads.
They beat Mike Street Racing.
About 1979 year.

I asked Mike sometimes why do you drive Lisa's Trans Am instead of your 1979 Z28 Camaro ?
Because it's Fast Brian and it does awesome Burnouts !
Old 05-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #38
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

So when I came of Age....Mike and the Gang are 12 years older than me I hung alot with those guys at night.
There Is Robert a Diehard Big Block Chevy.
Bob would say let's Go to the Mexicans House today and Harrass Victor that Damn Wetback.
I would Be Ok !. Hop in one of Bob's Corvettes.
Bone stock all C3 & C4s.
Sometimes I would drive the Vette.
Pontiac Wonderland Victors House.

Walk up ....Bob...HEY NO GOOD FUCKING WETBACK I AM HERE TO DRINK ALL YOUR BEER.
WHERE IS YOUR WIFE MARY I WANT TACOS TOO I AM FUCKING HUNGRY !
Welcomed open arms....entire town is Mexicans other than Mary Mikes Sister !

I GOT BRIAN WITH ME YOU GUYS CAN TALK PONTIACS WHILE I GET DRUNK !
Old 05-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #39
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:

Anyhow....
There is a Poor Mans Transbrake done by LS Turbo guys 5.3 V8 with a 4L80E.
It could also be tried with 6L80e.
It's on the Turbo Forum archives how to.
1st and reverse gears are engaged at the same time via the shift solenoids.
Pretty sure Dodge Did the same with the Demon.

A Pro Tree Transbrake is actually a very sophisticated layout.
Allows .001 second - 1 microsecond launches full power stored instant released.
The driveline is not shocked so hard.
Driveline in preload setting when the button released.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #40
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Anyhow....
There is a Poor Mans Transbrake done by LS Turbo guys 5.3 V8 with a 4L80E.
It could also be tried with 6L80e.
It's on the Turbo Forum archives how to.
1st and reverse gears are engaged at the same time via the shift solenoids.

A Pro Tree Transbrake is actually a very sophisticated layout.
Allows .001 second - 1 microsecond launches full power stored instant released.
The driveline is not shocked so hard.
Driveline in preload setting when the button released.
So I hear the ideal way to launch with a 6l80e is with a converter and launching at a mere 1900rpm. I mean you can do your own research on the subject and come back here and tell me how right I am. It is 2 extra gears and starting off with 4.02:1. And that means we can do things a little differently.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #41
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
So I hear the ideal way to launch with a 6l80e is with a converter and launching at a mere 1900rpm. I mean you can do your own research on the subject and come back here and tell me how right I am. It is 2 extra gears and starting off with 4.02:1. And that means we can do things a little differently.
There is actually little I can do with that Red ZO6.
It's Locked in the combo.
Real customer wants desires.
Not yours or mine.
What it runs that is it Wiz.
Kinda end of story.

Not that new actually 4 series 1st gear.
Actually dates back along time ago in GM History.
The Oldsmobile Jet-A-Way Transmission and Pontiac called it the Superhydromatic.
1 st gear was 4.06 :1.
I have one a 1964 Superhydromatic.
Came attached to a Pontiac 389.
Actually a strong trans I read.
Almost scrapped it in past.
4-speed auto no Overdrive.
A guy rebuilds and sells on ebay for $3000.00.
Seen that sales add and hanging onto !
Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #42
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
So we have had the pleasure of restoring a callaway twin turbo C4. 1987 and in triple black. It was years ago and I posted pictures of it here before. This car..

This car had twin turbos. They were small turbos that were water cooled and mounted down low on either side of the oil pan right at the rear of the engine. It also has the 4+3 shifter and magnesium wheels. The Callaway TT c4 was good for 500hp and was an absolute hoot to drive. Or it was supposed to be 500hp. We didn't have a dyno back in the days when we restored this car. However this was a 1987. And 500hp was absolutely incredible in a car back then. But a year later in 1988 there was a Callaway Sledgehammer made that did 254mph and was packing 898hp. running 22psi of boost. Body was ugly as sin but there was a Corvette made with higher numbers than the demon and 30 years earlier.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...mmer-corvette/

http://www.lingenfelter.com/forum_li...-jan-24th-2014
Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #43
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
So we have had the pleasure of restoring a callaway twin turbo C4. 1987 and in triple black. It was years ago and I posted pictures of it here before. This car..

This car had twin turbos. They were small turbos that were water cooled and mounted down low on either side of the oil pan right at the rear of the engine. It also has the 4+3 shifter. The Callaway TT c4 was good for 500hp. Or it was supposed to be.We didn't have a dyno back in the days we restored this car. However this was 1987. And 500hp was absolutely incredible in a car back then. But a year later in 1988 there was a Callaway Sledgehammer made. In 1988. That did 254mph and was packing 898hp. Body was ugly as sin but there was a Corvette made with higher numbers than the demon and 30 years earlier.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...mmer-corvette/

http://www.lingenfelter.com/forum_li...-jan-24th-2014
You have to look back on CFC4 Archives 20 years now.
1988 -1990 TT Callaway.
Stock Turbos boost cranked....guys in Texas Ran 9.30's 1/4 mile. Retune. Was a Piggyback EFI 2 injectors added to Intake cast Boost section to throttle body.
Amazing....
Later versions had over 650 ft/lbs torque from 350 ci !
Old 05-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #44
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
You have to look back on CFC4 Archives 20 years now.
1988 -1990 TT Callaway.
Stock Turbos boost cranked....guys in Texas Ran 9.30's 1/4 mile. Retune. Was a Piggyback EFI 2 injectors added to Intake cast Boost section to throttle body.
Amazing....
Later versions had over 650 ft/lbs torque from 350 ci !
go look at those links. 772lb-ft out of 22lbs of boost pushing a sbc 350. in 1988.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:57 PM   #45
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
go look at those links. 772lb-ft out of 22lbs of boost pushing a sbc 350. in 1988.
Probably.
Boost builds torque.

The ultimate was Sledgehammer 1988-89.
950 Hp Twin Turbo.
Baddest C4 Ever built.

There was actually another faster on CFC4.
401 ci SBC Twin Turbo home race shop built.
Ran 6.99 Et at 200 mph.
Traded hands the new owner put it on the roof at 1320 mark.
Destroyed.
Gunny Recalls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in