11/08/2004 - Spy Photo from digitalcorvettes.com - Page 9 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Z06
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C6 Corvette Z06
General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-09-2004, 09:24 AM   #121
03Z06

Member #15491

I can't believe there's so much excitement over a mule. This isn't the car.
03Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 AM   #122
weejun
DC Crew

Member #11744

My Corvette(s)
2005 LMB Coupe, 6 speed, Z51, Corsa Sports, B&M shifter,Z06 rear swaybar

I agree with jumprun...I think they've bolted all the Z06 goodies onto a coupe. But I'm not sure they did that to throw anybody off: seems more likely they did it because they had a production coupe available and realized that designing in the hardtop would be relatively simple once they figured out the design details for all the performance and handling goodies. But I still wish they would build the Z06 with a liftout roof (I'll sacrifice body stiffness and the associated cornering gains for the sun and wind in my face!). I know...I'm a weenie.
weejun is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 09:29 AM   #123
omegaone0
DC Crew

Member #17382

My Corvette(s)
2006 baby!

(with mike)

I also believe the car is moving.

but I am asking myself..... why would GM tightly secure all the other camo, but leave the back wide open to create all that drag?

I think there is something holding the camo out.

who knows exactly what it is

PS.
Patrick, you said that we need to check back daily for new pics!? LETS HAVE IT!!!
omegaone0 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2004, 09:38 AM   #124
mikeyc6

Member #18707

Quote:
Originally posted by omegaone0

I also believe the car is moving.

but I am asking myself..... why would GM tightly secure all the other camo, but leave the back wide open to create all that drag?

I think there is something holding the camo out.

who knows exactly what it is

There is definitely something holding the camo out on the back and it isn't wind: the car isn't going fast enough. With the speed that car was going, if there was that much slack in the back camo, it wouldn't be pulled in a tight arc like it is: it would be laying over the back deck flapping ever so slightly below. That car would have to be going 80 MPH to pull at that camo that tightly, and the details about the shot tell us that the car was barely rolling faster than parking lot (with speed bumps) speed.

It's either a raised spoiler or they installed some sort of bow back there to keep the camo tight but raised up a bit. It could be something as simple as they wanted some air going under the camo while driving to keep it cool back there. There may have been some issue that arose from keeping the back completely covered with reduced airflow so they just raised it up a bit to allow more air in. Or... it could be a spoiler.

Mike
mikeyc6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 09:42 AM   #125
symmonds
DC Crew

Member #13837

My Corvette(s)
50th Anniv. Convertible, 6 speed

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
somebody I know at GM sent this to me

the C6 Z06

Luke - Thanks for the photo. Looks pretty good IMO. I think it does show that the top could be removable. As for the hood scoop, let's not forget how easy it is to replace a hood. Just because you can't see it on the mule doesn't mean it won't make production. Changing the location or addition of a hood scoop is an easy thing to do in pre-production.
symmonds is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 09:45 AM   #126
2ZS
DC Crew

Member #7554

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 / 2k2 Zo6

Re: Great Pic!

Remember, this a mule car. I'll bet their dressing a coupe to test Z06 components. Dave Hill has said the Z06 will not deviate from the FRC platform.
2ZS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #127
EMINENT 1
DC Crew

Member #3580

My Corvette(s)
2003 Chevorlet Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally posted by symmonds
Luke - Thanks for the photo. Looks pretty good IMO. I think it does show that the top could be removable. As for the hood scoop, let's not forget how easy it is to replace a hood. Just because you can't see it on the mule doesn't mean it won't make production. Changing the location or addition of a hood scoop is an easy thing to do in pre-production.
Yeah, thanks for the photo. I don't know what I would've done had I never seen this pic before the unveiling. Your friend gets my honorable recognition here.
EMINENT 1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Hit and run...
Old 11-09-2004, 10:18 AM   #128
snc
DC Crew

Member #4633

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeyc6

There is definitely something holding the camo out on the back and it isn't wind: the car isn't going fast enough. With the speed that car was going, if there was that much slack in the back camo, it wouldn't be pulled in a tight arc like it is: it would be laying over the back deck flapping ever so slightly below. That car would have to be going 80 MPH to pull at that camo that tightly, and the details about the shot tell us that the car was barely rolling faster than parking lot (with speed bumps) speed.

It's either a raised spoiler or they installed some sort of bow back there to keep the camo tight but raised up a bit. It could be something as simple as they wanted some air going under the camo while driving to keep it cool back there. There may have been some issue that arose from keeping the back completely covered with reduced airflow so they just raised it up a bit to allow more air in. Or... it could be a spoiler.

Mike
Although this isn't of much consequence, humour me. Regardless of how fast a car is moving, if there is a strong head wind, any loose camo could easily bulge up. Think of it this way. If you are standing still with an open jacket and it is windy, the wind will blow the jacket whether or not you are moving.
snc is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 10:27 AM   #129
snc
DC Crew

Member #4633

Re: Re: Great Pic!

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ZS
Remember, this a mule car. I'll bet their dressing a coupe to test Z06 components. Dave Hill has said the Z06 will not deviate from the FRC platform.
Forget about what people have said or what you have seen. The fact of the matter is that only a few select people know exactly what the car will look like and we will only find out when we are supposed to. To speculate from the spy shots is pretty futile. IMO, that car has so much camo that it looks like a C5 with those long overhangs. They could have 5-6 slightly different mules running around testing multiple components. One will have something the others don't and so on. No one knows. As for what Dave Hill said, things easily change in this world and sometimes not even he can stop it.
snc is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 10:55 AM   #130
mikeyc6

Member #18707

Quote:
Originally posted by snc
Although this isn't of much consequence, humour me. Regardless of how fast a car is moving, if there is a strong head wind, any loose camo could easily bulge up. Think of it this way. If you are standing still with an open jacket and it is windy, the wind will blow the jacket whether or not you are moving.
It's not comparable to an open jacket. For the camo to separate from the back deck, bulge up and out, and get stretched so hard that it forms a perfect arc, you've got to be shoving a LOT of air under there! If there was a head wind, it must have been an 80 MPH wind and I don't think that huge head winds follow from the string just laying on the ground in the back! There's a lot of buffetting back there too as the air rolls off the back deck lid so I doubt even a strong wind would hold it in such a perfect arc without some buffetting like a flag on a pole.

There's just no way around it: wind did not cause the camo to bulge out like that. There are only two possibilities: (1) there was an incredibly strong wind blowing over the car and the string at the back negates that or (2) the camo was so loose back there that it didn't take much wind to blow it up. If the latter were the case and the camo was just very loose, it wouldn't be stiff and stuck in an arc, it would just be laying over the back of the deck lid. Neither scenario adds up but something solid holding it from underneath does.

Mike
mikeyc6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #131
2ZS
DC Crew

Member #7554

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 / 2k2 Zo6

Re: Re: Re: Great Pic!

Quote:
Originally posted by snc
Forget about what people have said or what you have seen. The fact of the matter is that only a few select people know exactly what the car will look like and we will only find out when we are supposed to. To speculate from the spy shots is pretty futile. As for what Dave Hill said, things easily change in this world and sometimes not even he can stop it.
Things do change, the coupe and vert now have Z06 horse power, better brakes and the Z51 option sounds much improved. They are close to 02/04 Z06 performance. But the C6 Z06 will still be the thoroughbred. My money says it will remain an FRC, (no performance compromises) even Doug Fehan says it will have technology right out of the C5R and that the performance drivers will Love it!

Personnaly... I'm ready! Can't wait to see the REAL one!
2ZS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #132
DCRANER
DC Crew

Member #5812

Iread on another site this morning that the new Z06 will be shown to the media this / next week.

Is this true, and if so will we get a verbal report from someone like we did when the media / dealers got to see the C6 a while back?
DCRANER is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #133
1FastZ06
DC Crew

Member #391

My Corvette(s)
06C6Z06

Quote:
Originally posted by DCRANER
Iread on another site this morning that the new Z06 will be shown to the media this / next week.

Is this true, and if so will we get a verbal report from someone like we did when the media / dealers got to see the C6 a while back?
In the same post, the person said the price was going to be $70K. Prices me right out...
1FastZ06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 01:05 PM   #134
DCRANER
DC Crew

Member #5812

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FastZ06
In the same post, the person said the price was going to be $70K. Prices me right out...
I am sure it will be a killer car, but $70k+ I think many will go for a Z51 C6 and just add a supercharger, or whatever.
DCRANER is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2004, 01:34 PM   #135
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally posted by Rippin C6!
There is a scoop in the front fascia!

On the red Z06 pic.... move the scoop down so you can see a strip of color across the top of it. Also, stretch the openning and make it slimmer.

Exaggerate the side flares by 30%....

We are getting close then..
... and you know this how?

Ok, IF there really is a Fascia Scoop, how the hell will it get air with that FUGLY plate holder in front of it?
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in