Advice on a nice .45 Gun - Page 7 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Stingray's "Bad Shark" Lounge Welcome to our seriously OFF TOPIC discussion forum section! Open 24-hours a day since 2003.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #91
gunnerboy

Member #65318

Go to the range and start shooting a .45 with wad cutter ammo. You will find it is very mild in recoil. Another issue with felt recoil is noise. You can greatly reduce recoil sensitivity by employing the use of ear plugs with ear muffs over the plugs for double protection. After shooting a variety of weapons, pick the one you shoot the best with. Also evaluate the your source of ammo and what it will cost. Remember you can practice with wad cutters.
gunnerboy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #92
C3Racing
DC Crew

Member #64395

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerboy View Post
Go to the range and start shooting a .45 with wad cutter ammo. You will find it is very mild in recoil. Another issue with felt recoil is noise. You can greatly reduce recoil sensitivity by employing the use of ear plugs with ear muffs over the plugs for double protection. After shooting a variety of weapons, pick the one you shoot the best with. Also evaluate the your source of ammo and what it will cost. Remember you can practice with wad cutters.
wad cutters sound expencive.
C3Racing is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
MTBR passion
Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #93
gunnerboy

Member #65318

prices

Check local prices. Also check if reloads are available and the price. Practice with inexpensive ammo but rely on the best factory for home defense. Get out and do some test driving then buy the weapon that best addresses your needs for the money you can afford.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #94
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

"wad cutters sound expencive."

learn to cast your own bullets from scrap lead like wheel weights and reload your own ammo and you can easily have ammo in 45 acp thats costs under 10 cents a shot, once you get good at reloading, brass in 45 acp can frequently be found for FREE on the ground at ranges.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0000690310

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0000690064

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ku=00005546554

unique powder will allow you over 1000 shots per lb for wadcutter ammo, INCLUDING the cost of relading equipment and components by the time youve reloaded several thousand cartridges if you know how, thats something like $250-$350 for 5000 reloads vs over $1400 for CHEAP factory ammo, and if you practice thats under a years worth of ammo
grumpyvette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #95
Barney 5
DC Crew

Member #60583

My Corvette(s)
'92 coupe, and it's RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post
while millitary looking semi auto long guns are great,they can,t readily be used everyplace ,and its a total P.I.T.A. to carry one everyplace you go, so its limited to use at home. where its not ideal either because its excessive penetration could kill family members several rooms away, and its hardly going to look good in a court proceeding if your trying to look like the beseiged and threatened home owner defending his family, THE opposing attorney is bound to portray its use ,as by an insane blood thirsty gang member ambushing poor misguided souls who broke into your home by accident at 3am
if you must or want to use a long arm a good semi or pump 12 gauge is the prefered option loaded with #4 buck

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=580996
but a good 45 acp or 10 mm pistol will surely do the job with training and practice and you can have it with you almost anyplace you travel once you get your concealed carry licence, so at home you can use the shotgun but carrying the pistol when your out is far less hassle
I was just trying to make the point that you can take the caliber wars to the extreme and wasn't suggesting keeping an AK under your trench coat. I still maintain that it's not so much the caliber, but mind set, training and efficiency that you'll benefit from the most. 1 hit with a 9mm is still better than 8 misses with a .45.

I agree on the shotgun for home defence BTW..
Barney 5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2012: "Hoping" for "Change".
Old 03-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #96
gunnerboy

Member #65318

one last comment

We all have our favorite cals. Sometimes ego is the driving point to maintaining the desirability of one over the other. It is probably a part of issue of cal preferences but the question is to what degree.

The 10 is before my time so I have no real strong opinion on whether or not it is truly better or equal to the .45. However, I have heard about too many encounters where the ineffectiveness of the 9mm took multiple shots to eliminate a threat. I've never seen or heard of poor performance from the .45. If you can hit with the 9mm you can hit with the .45 but if you get a poor hit with the .45 it will be better than a poor hit with the 9mm, just my opinion. Just try them all and make the decision that best addresses your needs. Best of luck and enjoy the selection process.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #97
C3Racing
DC Crew

Member #64395

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
We all have our favorite cals. Sometimes ego is the driving point to maintaining the desirability of one over the other. It is probably a part of issue of cal preferences but the question is to what degree.

The 10 is before my time so I have no real strong opinion on whether or not it is truly better or equal to the .45. However, I have heard about too many encounters where the ineffectiveness of the 9mm took multiple shots to eliminate a threat. I've never seen or heard of poor performance from the .45. If you can hit with the 9mm you can hit with the .45 but if you get a poor hit with the .45 it will be better than a poor hit with the 9mm, just my opinion. Just try them all and make the decision that best addresses your needs. Best of luck and enjoy the selection process.
Thats why i dont want a 9. but i will try one .
MTBR passion
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #98
Barney 5
DC Crew

Member #60583

My Corvette(s)
'92 coupe, and it's RED!

Nothing wrong with a 9mm.

BTW, I carry a G19 Glock off duty and never feel under gunned.
Barney 5 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2012: "Hoping" for "Change".
Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #99
Ltfive
DC Crew

Member #54668

My Corvette(s)
1991 ZR-1

I didn't read the whole thread, gun threads are too predictable.
But if you are still interested in a .45 ACP in that price range, you really ought to look at a Glock 21. Here's a story on Glock Talk that will open your eyes.
Ltfive is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #100
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney 5 View Post
1 hit with a 9mm is still better than 8 misses with a .45.
Patrick is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 AM   #101
H82BSLO
DC Crew

Member #39990

For those who pooh-pooh the 9mm, keep in mind that a relatively inexperienced shooter managed to dispatch 30+ people with a Glock 9mm at a university in Virginia not too long ago.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 9mm. Given the technology employed in modern combat loads, the 9mm, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, etc. all perform essentially the same. People who don't stop immediately after being shot with a particular round(s) usually weren't shot in the right place. With that being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a .45 or .40 or 10 mm or a .357 SIG etc. You should choose whatever you can shoot accurately, quickly and consistently.
H82BSLO is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #102
The Shield
The Punisher

Member #9749

My Corvette(s)
1986 Z51 RED A4 coupe

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by own2vettes View Post
For those who pooh-pooh the 9mm, keep in mind that a relatively inexperienced shooter managed to dispatch 30+ people with a Glock 9mm at a university in Virginia not too long ago.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 9mm. Given the technology employed in modern combat loads, the 9mm, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, etc. all perform essentially the same. People who don't stop immediately after being shot with a particular round(s) usually weren't shot in the right place. With that being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a .45 or .40 or 10 mm or a .357 SIG etc. You should choose whatever you can shoot accurately, quickly and consistently.
I guess I'll have to clarify what I've previously posted.....

A 9mm will do the job UNLESS the target is high on narcotics such as PCP, crystal meth, etc. which may enable them to overcome the trauma sustained by the round. A .40 will do more damage and cause more trauma than a 9mm due to it's higher energy transfer at impact, thus increasing its effects on a person who's taken narcotics or an EDP (emotionally disturbed person). A .45 IS the best choice out of the 3, but I don't recommend it because of it's harsher recoil.

Yes a person (man) will be able to shoot it and handle the recoil just fine, but what if that man's wife/girlfriend/daughter has to shoot it. Will they have a sympathetic reaction to it's recoil? Will they be able to deliver subsequent rounds accurately on target if necessary? If it's a Glock 21, will the frame be too big for their small hands to handle effectively?

Sure a woman can be trained to shoot a .45 just fine, but my point is most people (especially women) don't go to a range enough to stay comfortable with the firearm they will use, my wife included. That's why I have a 12ga pump loaded with low recoil #4 birdshot. If an intruder doesn't beat feet after the "rack" of a round being chambered, then at least she'll have the 1 round to defend herself with.

So in summary, the most effective out of the 3 is the .45.
The Shield is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
-The original point and click interface was Smith & Wesson!
-If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
-"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

HOCKEYTOWN, USA
--Guff--
Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #103
C4 Fan
DC Crew

Member #15862

My Corvette(s)
06 M. Silver Vert 3LT QG7 MXO

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3Racing View Post
For less than 600 $$ , will only use it at a shooting range here and there , but also home defence.
Based on your original post to play around with occasionally, that will also protect your home and family.

I would go to a range and shoot a few clips of 9, 40, and 45. After you shoot a round watch where your hands and gun are pointing. Make notes to yourself on how they felt, and shot. Now go to Wallyworld (the cheapest price around) and price the ammo. I have at least 1 of each, and chose the 40 as my CCW. I practice weekly at least 100 rounds of 40 plus whatever else I bring. I feel confident that if I had to pull it out that I would have a good chance at hitting what I was aiming at. In the 29 years I have owned a gun I have never needed to point or use it to defend myself or my home. I count myself as lucky.

I know everyone is telling you what will stop who, but if you don't practice it won't matter if you have a 7, 10, or 20 round clip. You have seconds to eliminate the threat. Have someone charge at you from inside your house, how long before they are on top of you? Thats how long you have to stop the threat.

My opinion is get a Beretta 92FS. 15 rounds of 9mm. Great handgun, and well within your budget.

Good Luck
C4 Fan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
New Corvettes previously owned: 92 Vert, 94 Vert, 96 CE Vert, 04 Vert, 06 Vert

Now the proud owner of a 2010 Camaro RS SS2 LS3.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #104
C3Racing
DC Crew

Member #64395

My Corvette(s)

As i have stated before i will be shooting different guns at the local indoor gun range .. And i have decided to take the wife with me and get her input aswell. If she likes the 9mm better than any .40 or .45 i will be taking that highly into concideration.
MTBR passion
Old 04-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #105
C4 Fan
DC Crew

Member #15862

My Corvette(s)
06 M. Silver Vert 3LT QG7 MXO

Like Lt I did not read the entire thread, sorry if I missed some of your responses.
C4 Fan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
New Corvettes previously owned: 92 Vert, 94 Vert, 96 CE Vert, 04 Vert, 06 Vert

Now the proud owner of a 2010 Camaro RS SS2 LS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in