DIY - So, You Hate That You Have a Floppy Ashtray Door... - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > TECH Exchange > Articles - Other
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Articles - Other The Kitchen Drawer

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 09-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Junkman2008
Premium Member

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

DIY - So, You Hate That You Have a Floppy Ashtray Door...

Well, I got a fix for you! This is one of those annoying little issues that a lot of guys are experiencing but don't know that it is an easy fix. I almost bought a new piece!

I wouldn't have fixed mine if a mod that I was doing hadn't went haywire. Just when I thought I had graduated from "shade tree mechanic" status, I got humbled by one of my typical car "touching" experiences. It seems like every time I touch the car, it becomes a Broadway production. The only thing that goes right is putting in some gas. Do the repair Gods hate me?

I upgraded my taillights to Halo's and immediately got the good ol' hyper-flashing (where the turn signals flash at a very rapid rate, just like they do when you blow a running bulb in the front of the car), and thus installed the hyper-flash cable that I purchased from Richard at Corvette Enhancements (he also sells the Halo's). Everything was going just fine until I couldn't get the knee bolster seated correctly. I was laying upside down fussing with this thing and then PLINK! Something fell out of the dash and I didn't have a clue where it came from.

Damn, damn, damn....

I knew that it was one of those clips that hold a screw in place but like I said, I didn't know where it came from so I decided to remove the piece that surrounds the radio and AC. Geeez! I didn't know that was going to be another adventure! When I did finally get that off, I heard another blink! Something else had fallen off and I didn't know where it came from either. It's now 3:00 AM and my interior looks like my car was stolen.

So I broke out some music and decided to clean up all this stuff since I had it apart because it looked like Big Foot was my car's previous owner. That's when I noticed why my ash tray lid wouldn't stay closed. Check out the picture below.

Because the spring is all jacked up and not seated correctly, all the change I have in my ashtray ends up in my parking brake leather covering when I do a jack rabbit take off. The lid use to stay closed until I let the dealer work on my car (that's another story). The lid will open and close but when closed, it would slightly pop open for no reason. Now I see why. I reseated the spring and now the door stays closed the way it is supposed to. See the picture below:

Now that spring is seated correctly, I can take off and my change stays where its supposed to! Oh, and I figured out where all the pieces went that fell out of the car. I was kinda proud of myself after that!

The Junkman

Last edited by Junkman2008; 10-11-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in