Why is GM debuting the C8 on 7-18-19? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 06-08-2019, 01:46 AM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Why is GM debuting the C8 on 7-18-19?

There is a lot of speculation about the choice of debuting the C8 on 7-18-19. WHY that day? Most speculation about why in Orange County is centered on the unproven highest number of mid-engine cars per square mile than anywhere else in the USA. I live here and would not say that is a lie, but why isn't it Beverly Hills or some swank place in Florida?

Regardless, why 7-18-19. I've only seen one explanation that makes sense to me. The 755HP C7 Corvette ZR1 holds the fastest track time of any production Corvette ever at the Nurburgring with a 7 minutes, 19.63 seconds lap. If the C8 'base' Stingray (rumored at 500 HP) laps the 'ring at 7 minutes, 18.19 seconds......well THAT would be a marketing nirvana time and the temptation to use the date that matches the time could be overwhelming.

So what if, the BASE C8 eclipses the ZR1 time!!??! The C6 400HP base model had performance stats that either passed or came close to the 505HP C5 Z06. The 460HP C7 Z-51 Stingray when introduced came close to the performance level of the 505HP C6 Z06. So IF this IS the 'ring time for the C8 Stingray, the handling improvement message is undeniable.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 03:58 AM   #2
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Interesting theory. Just be glad the purported time wasn't 7 minutes 18.23 seconds
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
The Following User Says Thank You to The Torch For This Useful Post:
HN376RAR (06-09-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

A Race Car Is Worthless without a Chassis that works Longtimer.

All my Betting Money is on the C8 too.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Your sig. has been edited by the admin. Stop now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniacmechanic1 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (06-08-2019)

Old 06-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
There is a lot of speculation about the choice of debuting the C8 on 7-18-19. WHY that day? Most speculation about why in Orange County is centered on the unproven highest number of mid-engine cars per square mile than anywhere else in the USA. I live here and would not say that is a lie, but why isn't it Beverly Hills or some swank place in Florida?

Regardless, why 7-18-19. I've only seen one explanation that makes sense to me. The 755HP C7 Corvette ZR1 holds the fastest track time of any production Corvette ever at the Nurburgring with a 7 minutes, 19.63 seconds lap. If the C8 'base' Stingray (rumored at 500 HP) laps the 'ring at 7 minutes, 18.19 seconds......well THAT would be a marketing nirvana time and the temptation to use the date that matches the time could be overwhelming.

So what if, the BASE C8 eclipses the ZR1 time!!??! The C6 400HP base model had performance stats that either passed or came close to the 505HP C5 Z06. The 460HP C7 Z-51 Stingray when introduced came close to the performance level of the 505HP C6 Z06. So IF this IS the 'ring time for the C8 Stingray, the handling improvement message is undeniable.
That makes as much since as anything else I heard since the announcement. Does anyone know where in orange county the debut to be.
StillCrazy is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to StillCrazy For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

I'm checking multiple times a day, but have not heard any leaks about the location as yet. As of now, I stand by my original SWAG, of Laguna Beach (most scenic IMO) or Dana Point (more room there to stage a small fleet of C8s that could take select reporters up to the VERY twisty Ortega Highway to show off the handling.

I was born in Santa Monica and as a teenager lived in OC and cruised Whittier Blvd and surfed at Huntington Beach (sometimes on the same day). I KNOW OC. We no longer even have a drag strip, much less a race track. At one time the closed El Toro Marine Air Base landing strips were used extensively as a test track for TV Car shows, but it is now deep into its conversion to housing tracts and parks.

The Anaheim Convention Center (across the street from D-land) is BIG, but no place to test drive a C8. The Angels' Big A stadium parking lot is huge but there is a game that night and why debut there? It's not a pretty area, nothing special. It's not far from D-land and the streets are pretty busy.

I am working with DC Admin hoping to wrangle an invitation to the debut from GM. It's a very long, long, long shot that this could happen, but I can guarantee you that on 7/17/19 and 7/18/19, I will be driving my C6 up and down Pacific Coast highway looking for any indication of a debut site...unless we hear more before then.
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

https://us.motorsport.com/nhra/news/...mpson/1924123/

Something for you to read Longtimer.
It has been almost 60 years since Mickey Thompson broke a bunch of FIA records at March Force Base.
It was in July.
Have not found the exact date online yet.
Have his Autobiography book put away.
It may be July 18, 1959.

A number of problems, including a spinout at 200 mph, parachute-braking difficulties, and the disconnection of the oxygen-supply system, thwarted Thompson's efforts in 1959, but he still managed to break his 294-mph record by an American with a 362.31-mph clocking. He came back in 1960 to hit 406.60-mph and break Cobb's one-way record of 403, but a broken driveshaft prevented him from making the required backup run within the allotted time of one hour, and the record was not officially certified.
Thompson, now a worldwide-known motorsports celebrity, decided to concentrate on FIA acceleration records, so he went to March Air Force Base in July with four different Pontiac cars: the Assault and Attempt streamliners, a Class F Dragmaster chassis sans body, and a 348-horsepower 389-cid Pontiac Catalina.
In one day, Thompson broke all eight international records and six of 10 American national records. The October 1961 issue of Car Life magazine reported: "The new records, plus the 28 world, international, and national records [Thompson] had established in 1959 and 1960 at March AFB and the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, gave him more [records] than any man has ever held at a given time."
Old 06-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

Quote:
I'm checking multiple times a day, but have not heard any leaks about the location as yet. As of now, I stand by my original SWAG, of Laguna Beach (most scenic IMO) or Dana Point (more room there to stage a small fleet of C8s that could take select reporters up to the VERY twisty Ortega Highway to show off the handling.

I was born in Santa Monica and as a teenager lived in OC and cruised Whittier Blvd and surfed at Huntington Beach (sometimes on the same day). I KNOW OC. We no longer even have a drag strip, much less a race track. At one time the closed El Toro Marine Air Base landing strips were used extensively as a test track for TV Car shows, but it is now deep into its conversion to housing tracts and parks.

The Anaheim Convention Center (across the street from D-land) is BIG, but no place to test drive a C8. The Angels' Big A stadium parking lot is huge but there is a game that night and why debut there? It's not a pretty area, nothing special. It's not far from D-land and the streets are pretty busy.

I am working with DC Admin hoping to wrangle an invitation to the debut from GM. It's a very long, long, long shot that this could happen, but I can guarantee you that on 7/17/19 and 7/18/19, I will be driving my C6 up and down Pacific Coast highway looking for any indication of a debut site...unless we hear more before then.
I was thinking, that if we could nail down a location maybe that would be a good excuse for the Santa Clarita corvette club to show up in support of the C/8 and Southern Calif.
StillCrazy is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to StillCrazy For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 AM   #8
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
It has been almost 60 years since Mickey Thompson broke a bunch of FIA records at March Force Base.
The problem with March Air Force Base is that it is in Riverside county with a wilderness mountain range between the base and OC. The fastest way to get there (assume one of the Beach Reveal locations) is about 1.5 - 2 hours drive on the twisty Ortega Highway going through the lower edge of the range. Taking freeway all the way up to the 91 freeway over to the 15 would travel some of the heaviest travelled freeways in So Cal and likely add another 30-40 minutes minimum to the Ortega time. Either way, getting Automotive journalists from likely debut locations out to March would result in a bunch of impatient, frustrated, tired and in a bad mood people about to write about the C8.

It IS possible that the debut will consist ONLY of a show and tell with NO driving for anyone on that day. This scenario might make the most sense give that OC IS THE reveal locale.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:10 AM   #9
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
The problem with March Air Force Base is that it is in Riverside county with a wilderness mountain range between the base and OC. The fastest way to get there (assume one of the Beach Reveal locations) is about 1.5 - 2 hours drive on the twisty Ortega Highway going through the lower edge of the range. Taking freeway all the way up to the 91 freeway over to the 15 would travel some of the heaviest travelled freeways in So Cal and likely add another 30-40 minutes minimum to the Ortega time. Either way, getting Automotive journalists from likely debut locations out to March would result in a bunch of impatient, frustrated, tired and in a bad mood people about to write about the C8.

It IS possible that the debut will consist ONLY of a show and tell with NO driving for anyone on that day. This scenario might make the most sense give that OC IS THE reveal locale.
It might be Show and Tell Day only 07-18-2019.

Gotta find that book today at my house.
I remember all major magazine Journalists were there at March Air Force Base.

Could shuttle them at night in Rockstar Motohome Buses.
Would only take 2 or 3 of them to carry all to M.A.F..B.
Do it at night.
Little traffic.
Same way in Chicago.
You can run 150-200+ if you want to.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:40 AM   #10
Blast
DC Crew

Member #5275

Quote:
The C6 400HP base model had performance stats that either passed or came close to the 405HP C5 Z06.
Hey Longtimer.

This is not meant as negative, but you have the numbers mixed up (and I know you know the numbers so I know it's a typo).

C5 Z06 had the LS6 with 385/405hp.
C6 Z06 had the LS7 with 505hp.

Great post, and wow if what you're saying is true. Can't wait to see them numbers now.

// Stefan
Blast is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Hey Longtimer.

This is not meant as negative, but you have the numbers mixed up (and I know you know the numbers so I know it's a typo).

C5 Z06 had the LS6 with 385/405hp.
C6 Z06 had the LS7 with 505hp.

Great post, and wow if what you're saying is true. Can't wait to see them numbers now.

// Stefan
Thanks - typo on my part. You are correct of course. I' m fixing the original so as not to confuse anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in