C3 rear brakes - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 09-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
TexasDan
DC Crew

Member #59349

My Corvette(s)
89 Coupe, 82 Coupe, 90 Convertible

C3 rear brakes

Ok getting ready to do a complete brake upgrade on my C3. going 6 piston front and rear with 14" rotors front and 13" rear. Leaving the stock master cylinder in place.

Can I use the same calipers for the front as the rear or should I go with 4 piston instead?
TexasDan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
zimmej51
DC Crew

Member #171434

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDan View Post
Ok getting ready to do a complete brake upgrade on my C3. going 6 piston front and rear with 14" rotors front and 13" rear. Leaving the stock master cylinder in place.

Can I use the same calipers for the front as the rear or should I go with 4 piston instead?

Hi TexasDan, you didn't get into specifics, but from what I've seen the rear calipers are almost always smaller than the fronts. I'll quickly point out that I'm not an expert by any stretch so there may be a configuration like that out there somewhere.

I used the Wilwood D8's for the front and rear. They are direct replacement for stock and work with the stock master cylinder. I did not upgrade the rotors as you are doing.

In any case I would recommend consulting with your vendor and getting their recommendation.

One other thing, remember that the steel brake lines on the newest C3 are now 37 years old! I'd recommend replacement or at least a very thorough inspection.

Let us know how it turns out!
zimmej51 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to zimmej51 For This Useful Post:
TexasDan (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)
71 V12 restomod vert (Plan A) 73 L82 4 speed (Plan B)

I'm not an expert- but spoke with many of them while setting up my brakes.

I went with the 14" 6 piston in front and the stock size 4 piston (DB8) in the back. However it was recommended to go down in size for the master cylinder. I'm running manual - so I went down from 1" to 7/8". And if you have power -need to go down from 1 1/8" to 1" bore.

The other thing that I found best when doing the big front brakes- was using a AN3 45 adapter- it put the hose fight where I wanted it. The 90 and the straight one -I just didn't like how it could get in the way of the wheel and suspension.

I also used the banjo fittings to tuck the lines in next to the master cylinder- as I have the clutch master right next to it.

You might want to check with the guys (and gal ) at Custom Image Corvette- as they stock them -and have done just a few upgrades.

Richard454 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard454 For This Useful Post:
TexasDan (09-12-2019)

Old 09-12-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
TexasDan
DC Crew

Member #59349

My Corvette(s)

Thanks for the info guys. What I've got is a 82 C3 that I have already modified. The car was actually given to me about 6 years ago. It had been sitting in a warehouse for 10 years and didn't run and was in pretty bad shape. So I took it. Motor is now a 383 balanced and blueprinted with true roller cam, Dicky Scoggens intake, high flow runners, larger plenum, 26 lb injectors, MSD ignition, high flow 210 cc aluminum vortec heads and a Ez-Fast injection harness and computer and installed a 700R4 Monster trans with 2800 stall.
I only wanted a strong daily driver. I completely redid the interior except for the dash. That's on the list too. I put stainless side mount headers and 17x9.5 Z06 rims front and back.

The plan now is to upgrade the brakes. Probably going to go 18x10.5 rear this winter with offset trailing arms. If that is required to get those tires under there. Going to lower the front and rear with new suspension. I figure this old girl is old and tired and so are all the rubber parts.

I will probably go with the 14" rotors and the 2012 Z06 front calipers. They should clear on 17" rims, if not Il go with the 13" rotors. The rears I think on the 2012 are 4 piston but bigger than the 82 C3's. From what I can gather the stock C3 uses the same caliper front and back. This is the whole reason that I was going to go with 6 piston all around. I could even put the 14" rotors out back.

After this procedure I'll be upgrading the front and rear bumpers to fiberglass. A Dayton front spoiler and a modified rear that has a little taller rear spoiler. Then top it off with a L88 hood and fresh paint.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vette4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	24012   Click image for larger version

Name:	vette5.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	24014   Click image for larger version

Name:	vette6.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	24016   Click image for larger version

Name:	vette10.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	24018   Click image for larger version

Name:	vette11.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	24020  

Old 09-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
77blue
DC Crew

Member #72402

My Corvette(s)
2010 GS Coupe / 77 Coupe

TexasDan, I'm not sure you can get a 14" rotor in a 17" wheel - I know the Wilwood website says the 13" requires a 17" and the 14" requires a 18" wheel so hopefully you can validate before spending money.
77blue is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Jon
1977 Coupe (LS376/480 & 4L70E swap in process)
2010 GS Coupe (White - Red/Black interior)
2018 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 Chev Silverado HD (Duramax)
Old 09-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
TexasDan
DC Crew

Member #59349

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77blue View Post
TexasDan, I'm not sure you can get a 14" rotor in a 17" wheel - I know the Wilwood website says the 13" requires a 17" and the 14" requires a 18" wheel so hopefully you can validate before spending money.
Yes I will be looking at that. The wheels that I currently have I got for cheap. $250 for all 4. they are pitted and chrome coming off. Going to change wheels for new ones. But if I can use the front tires I can save some money. The fronts are actually 13.4" compared to the 13.97" for the Z06 ones, so to me there is not much difference and I probably would never even realize the difference in the driving I'll be doing anyways. And I can use the same calipers on either. There also $20 cheaper on the rotors. I've found the front calipers for as low as $125 each, and that's 6 piston ones.

I just got to have the bracket. Not that hard to make just need to dimensions. I have a machine shop at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in