The Mother of All Column Lock Bypass Threads - Page 6 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums
 
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance



Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #76
aebcpama
DC Crew
 
Posts: 2
Member #24784
Member since: Dec 2004
Location: Lenox, Ma. USA

My Corvette(s)
2000 Roadster

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Column lock bypass after recall

RECALL MOD RELAY is found how?
CAN YOU OFFER MORE GUIDANCE ON LOCATING PIN 30 & PIN 87 AND HOW TO JUMP THEM A PICTURE WOULD BE GREAT

Last edited by Junkman2008; 09-28-2011 at 01:41 PM.
aebcpama is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #77
Junkman2008
DC Crew
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 30,448
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 281
Thanked 883 Times in 703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aebcpama View Post
RECALL MOD RELAY is found how?
CAN YOU OFFER MORE GUIDANCE ON LOCATING PIN 30 & PIN 87 AND HOW TO JUMP THEM A PICTURE WOULD BE GREAT
Quote on the part of the thread you're talking about. You've lost me.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 09-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #78
aebcpama
DC Crew
 
Posts: 2
Member #24784
Member since: Dec 2004
Location: Lenox, Ma. USA

My Corvette(s)
2000 Roadster

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Quote on the part of the thread you're talking about. You've lost me.
Q: Why is there sometimes a conflict between the recall mod and my CLB?
A: For MN6 and M12 cars, the recall mod added a second relay (different from the Harness K which is the GM version of the CLB) between your BCM and your ECL in series with the orange (LOCK) wire. This is to safeguard against a spurious glitch from ever locking your ECL while you are driving (clearly GM is paranoid now). The problem is that this second relay is causing a timing glitch, which resets your CLB immediately after it switches states. The reason it works with your stock ECL is because your ECL motor (being mechanical and slow compared to solid-state logic), is immune to these timing glitches whereas the latching relay inside your CLB sees these glitches and reacts to them.

Q: For MN6/M12 cars what can I do if this situation occurs?
A: Go into your passenger footwell. Remove your BCM and locate the recall mod relay, remove it and add a jumper wire between the white wire (pin 30) and the orange wire (pin 87). Note that there are two orange wires, so make sure you get the right one!

You state remove BCM? Is that a fuse?
Locate "recall mod relay" Where is this? What does it look like?
How do I identify it?

Add a jumper wire between pin 30 and 87?
Where are the pins? Not in the footwell fuse box?
Does this refer to the wires under the dash?

My 2000 six speed has had both recalls. Lock has been removed. Battery is putting out 13+ volts but I'm getting
Service column lock and car stall if I try to move it.
I've pulled fuses 23 7 25. Still does not clear problem.

Will a column lock bypass fix anything or does the K- harness
do the same thing?

I read a post that refers to a stuck relay in the top of the footwell fuse box on the right side?

Any suggestions of how to proceed?
Thanks for your help.
aebcpama is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #79
Junkman2008
DC Crew
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 30,448
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 281
Thanked 883 Times in 703 Posts
Okay first of all, I haven't had to do this repair because I have a 2001 A4 Coupe, which is not affected with this issue. Second, I did not do this write up, someone else did and sent it to me. I just passed it on. I do have some knowledge about this issue because of how often I've read up and researched it. So keep that in mind as I respond to your questions. Last of all, have you watched the videos posted at the beginning of this writeup by Paul Koener? If not, you really need to watch them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aebcpama View Post
Q: Why is there sometimes a conflict between the recall mod and my CLB?

A: For MN6 and M12 cars, the recall mod added a second relay (different from the Harness K which is the GM version of the CLB) between your BCM and your ECL in series with the orange (LOCK) wire. This is to safeguard against a spurious glitch from ever locking your ECL while you are driving (clearly GM is paranoid now). The problem is that this second relay is causing a timing glitch, which resets your CLB immediately after it switches states. The reason it works with your stock ECL is because your ECL motor (being mechanical and slow compared to solid-state logic), is immune to these timing glitches whereas the latching relay inside your CLB sees these glitches and reacts to them.

Q: For MN6/M12 cars what can I do if this situation occurs?

A: Go into your passenger footwell. Remove your BCM and locate the recall mod relay, remove it and add a jumper wire between the white wire (pin 30) and the orange wire (pin 87). Note that there are two orange wires, so make sure you get the right one!

You state remove BCM? Is that a fuse?
Locate "recall mod relay" Where is this? What does it look like?
How do I identify it?
The BCM stands for Body Control Module. It is the computer that is located in the passenger's side footwell. I've attached a PDF document to this post, which contains the pinouts for the connectors associated with the BCM.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aebcpama View Post
Add a jumper wire between pin 30 and 87?
Where are the pins? Not in the footwell fuse box?
Does this refer to the wires under the dash?
The above document answers these questions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aebcpama View Post
My 2000 six speed has had both recalls. Lock has been removed. Battery is putting out 13+ volts but I'm getting Service column lock and car stall if I try to move it.

I've pulled fuses 23 7 25. Still does not clear problem.

Will a column lock bypass fix anything or does the K- harness
do the same thing?
Yes, the column lock bypass cable will fix these issues provided that you install it correctly. YOU MUST FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aebcpama View Post
I read a post that refers to a stuck relay in the top of the footwell fuse box on the right side?

Any suggestions of how to proceed?
Thanks for your help.
I know nothing of a stuck relay. You would need to reference that post with a link so that I can read all of the information concerning it. It could be bad information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2000 Body Control System Connector End Views.pdf (88.1 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by Junkman2008; 09-25-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 05-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #80
6spdg37s
DC Crew
 
Posts: 230
Member #104986
Member since: Apr 2010

My Corvette(s)
Z06

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so what are the actual chances of it locking up while you are driving?

Just bought a mInt condition 2 owner 2003 c5z06 and I am unsure if the recall was performed. I am going to follow up with a chevy dealer when they are open.
6spdg37s is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
08 Z06 - my daily driver, weekend car, track car, commuter, pickup truck, etc;
Old 05-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #81
Junkman2008
DC Crew
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 30,448
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 281
Thanked 883 Times in 703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
so what are the actual chances of it locking up while you are driving?

Just bought a mInt condition 2 owner 2003 c5z06 and I am unsure if the recall was performed. I am going to follow up with a chevy dealer when they are open.
After reading this thread, why in the world would you take it to a dealer? Most dealerships have their heads up their asses about this issue. Have you actually read this entire thread? The column doesn't lock up while you're driving. That would be a death waiting to happen and GM would have done a recall about this issue. There is no recall for this, only TSB's.

You need to start with the first post in this thread and READ the entire post. Then watch the videos in the first post. Everything you need to know is contained within that first post, but there are also helpful incidents contained within other post in this thread so read the entire thread. It's only going to benefit YOU to know this thread inside and out.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #82
The Dude
DC Crew
 
The Dude's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,684
Member #120318
Member since: Nov 2012
Location: Katy, TX

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Thanks: 137
Thanked 306 Times in 236 Posts
I got the 10 second message today.

I pulled the key and waited the 10 and then it started normal. Going to read up now so when it comes back again.
The Dude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #83
The Dude
DC Crew
 
The Dude's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,684
Member #120318
Member since: Nov 2012
Location: Katy, TX

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Thanks: 137
Thanked 306 Times in 236 Posts
Did some testing and during the testing the column lock actually locked up and it wouldn't start one time.

I found that the battery voltage had actually dropped to 11.8v and that's when it all locked up. Waited a few and it then started fine from 12.3v. I had just driven it and it was charging fine at 13.8v. So I will be looking for a new battery.

The Dude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #84
Junkman2008
DC Crew
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 30,448
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 281
Thanked 883 Times in 703 Posts
Whatever you do, don't put this problem off. It's a bitch to fix once you let it go too long.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #85
The Dude
DC Crew
 
The Dude's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,684
Member #120318
Member since: Nov 2012
Location: Katy, TX

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Thanks: 137
Thanked 306 Times in 236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Whatever you do, don't put this problem off. It's a bitch to fix once you let it go too long.
I just put the new one in. AGM with 765cca and 120rc.

No problems and the volts hold at 12.6 now when it shuts down and the secondary systems are still running.
The Dude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #86
Junkman2008
DC Crew
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 30,448
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 281
Thanked 883 Times in 703 Posts
Good call.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 08-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #87
The Dude
DC Crew
 
The Dude's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,684
Member #120318
Member since: Nov 2012
Location: Katy, TX

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Thanks: 137
Thanked 306 Times in 236 Posts
OK. Awhile back my column lock started having issues with the actual locking mechanism hanging up. So up put on the column lock bypass from corvette world of Houston. Problem solved until yesterday. Got in and got the service column lock.

Well for you guys who already have the bypass done you know you should pull fuse 23 and 25 and wait a minute and then reinstall with 25 going in first. That resets the BCM in case the bypass has gotten out of wack. The BCM goes through its start up and during that sequence commands the column lock into a full cycle starting over which should put everything back in order if that was the problem.

Well not for me.

So I am thinking the bypass has failed and am beginning to torque off when I decide to be a good little shade tree tech and trouble shoot it right.

First thing I do is turn the key and listen for the relay. Guess what, no switching in the relay. So I feel the relay and turn the key and for sure, nothing and still getting service column lock. I swap the relays and presto it now switches and no service column lock message.

So if you are getting this message and you are sure the battery is good, check the relay. They can go bad.

Also, on a side note, you have more of a chance for it to be the relay if you have a stopped up a/c drain that leaks down all over it. I have that issue and used the a/c the other day just before this happened.

The Dude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #88
Junkman2008
DC Crew
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Posts: 30,448
Member #71977
Member since: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, KY

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Thanks: 281
Thanked 883 Times in 703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Dude View Post
... Also, on a side note, you have more of a chance for it to be the relay if you have a stopped up a/c drain that leaks down all over it. I have that issue and used the a/c the other day just before this happened.

Here... take my boot and kick yourself.


Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-01-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 08-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #89
The Dude
DC Crew
 
The Dude's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,684
Member #120318
Member since: Nov 2012
Location: Katy, TX

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Thanks: 137
Thanked 306 Times in 236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Here... take my boot and kick yourself.

I know right! I been saying I was gonna fix that drain and trust me...now I am gonna fix it.
The Dude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #90
BLK 1
 
BLK 1's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,467
Member #66549
Member since: Nov 2007
Location: 75 in a 60

My Corvette(s)
17 Z51 13 427 04 6M vert 17 WRX

Thanks: 38
Thanked 177 Times in 146 Posts
For people afraid to do this themselves

Watch this ten minute video as he takes his time doing it. It is so easy if you have the problem and only $40 bucks. If you can put gas in your car you can do this! Video never stops, all in real time. I have said this before but I'll say it again....THANK YOU AJ for all your helpful information!

BLK 1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:00 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved