76 project - Page 10 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #136
Kaos
DC Crew

Member #61596

My Corvette(s)
69 Resto-mod

Awesome!!! Glad the wheels arrived so quickly as they shipped Monday. They look sick on that bare frame. I would have burned off some more rubber but it was time for my new wheels.
Kaos is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #137
speeddaddy
DC Crew

Member #95319

My Corvette(s)
1977 Corvette

Just finished reading this whole thread and I am so pumped Brent. You guys are the inspiration I've been needing. I have been in a state of depression because of my lack of progress, but you guys have inspired me to keep
pushing I think I am going to TRY to do a thread on what I have done so far. Maybe that way I will have something to look back on when I start feeling like I haven't accomplished much. Congratulations on your current progress and on your future progress Brent. One quick question. If I intend to keep my steering box is that a problem with the LS swap? Is a rack mandatory? Thanks so much.
speeddaddy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #138
speeddaddy
DC Crew

Member #95319

My Corvette(s)
1977 Corvette

Also with going to a new fuel injection setup what happens with the vent line going to the canister up front? Do you just use a vented gas cap and block that line off? The previous owner just cut my canister off I guess because I just have a small piece of rubber hose hanging off of the hard line on the drivers side under the hood. Thanks gain.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #139
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Thanks guys. Getting the wheels on it really inspired me to get moving faster.
I used Krylon grill paint on the ac box and a gloss paint for the blower motor. I think it will all be covered up by side panels in the end, but I hate to not clean things up when they are out of the car.
Riggs: No, I have not sat on the frame making silly noises. Yet. :-)
Mark: You are doing an amazing job bringing that car back. I got lucky with a really solid frame and floor pans (thanks, Josh), but there is no way I could have fixed yours. It is going to take more time, but you will have really done something you can really be proud of when you are done. I also have the luxury of getting off work very early. I start at 5 am (which sucks) but I get home with a few hours each day that I can work on the car before dinner.
Rob: (Kaos) Yea, I was stoked. I got a call Thursday at work saying they would be over yesterday to drop them off. They called me at work yesterday saying they were 1/2 mile away. "I HAVE TO GO HOME!!"
So did you burn some more of the tread off when you had them? I could not remember how much we left on them. Hope you got a chance to make some smoke. We need video of your car, btw.
Speeddaddy: Please do start a thread. I love reading about others progress. I think we all get inspiration from each other and would love to see your build. What do you have going on?
I am off to try to put an A/C controller back together.
brent319 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #140
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

The other day I was in the car working on something else and out of nowhere found myself pulling out the AC control. I did not plan on it, but there I was. Anybody else have that happen? You find yourself pulling something apart and wondering when exactly you decided to do THAT.
I started tearing it apart and decided I did not want to take it all the way down.

It was in good working order and I did not want to have to re-sync the indicators so I managed to take the top parts off and re-do them. That took a very long time, and in the end I think it would have been about as quick to tear it all the way down.
I got it put back together this morning. Pretty happy to see it look nice again. I only wish the red gradient had not faded from the temp side of the window. Maybe down the road....
Old 10-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #141
speeddaddy
DC Crew

Member #95319

My Corvette(s)
1977 Corvette

Hey Brent I'm working on my suspension now. Going with dual mount rear spring from VBP as well as the front monospring and upper and lower control arms. Also new offset trailing arms from VanSteele. Still have so much more to re-do. This is the first time I have ever attempted anything like this. I owe the majority of what I have accomplished to this forum. Ok enough about me. This is your thread. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #142
C4forlife
DC Crew

Member #54904

My Corvette(s)
1986 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post
The other day I was in the car working on something else and out of nowhere found myself pulling out the AC control. I did not plan on it, but there I was. Anybody else have that happen? You find yourself pulling something apart and wondering when exactly you decided to do THAT.
That is exactly how I ended up with a 96 interior conversion in my 86 six years ago. Of course with the influence of a fellow members thread on his recently completed conversion.

On your ac face hot/cold stripe you could tape it off and give it a shot with an airbrush or small pattern spray can.
C4forlife is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
96 stock and 86E I don't even know how to explain anymore.
“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
~Plato
Old 10-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #143
77Custom
DC Crew

Member #86431

My Corvette(s)
77 Custom C3

Brent,

Starting one thing and finishing another that is completely different happens to me all the time! Thats the beauty of building.

You are making great progress... Keep Up The Spectacular Work!

Robert
77Custom is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Robert Swope
Don't golf... fabricate!

FULL TILT : http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff412/FullTilt1977/
Old 10-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #144
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Speeddaddy: I got the VBP set up and although I have not driven with it yet, it seems pretty solid although I thought the directions were kind of limited and REALLY grainy. I was piecing together everything I wanted and Josh mentioned that I might as well get the performance plus package. Might want to add up what you have so far and see if it is an option for you too. As far as I know your stock steering box should work with the LS swap. Also: please start a thread. I would love to follow along on your build.
C4forlife: Do you have a link to your interior swap? I never saw that but it sounds really cool.
Robert: Yea I seem to jump around. I just have to remember to take a lot of photos and keep parts in piles :-)
Today I went over to a friend's house. He built a laser in his shop (who hasn't right?) and he cut out some plexiglass for mounting the autometer tach and speedo into the dash.

I had him cut one as a spacer and one as a retainer and hopefully I will be able to keep the plastic lens pieces over the 2 big gauges. If it works, I will have to either extend the reset button on the tripometer, or just forget about it. Either way I wanted to keep the lens if I can. I will let you know how that turns out.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #145
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Somewhere in the middle of working on the gauges, I decided to polish the wheels up today. I polished them once when they belonged on Kaoss not knowing that I would wind up with them on my car. Back then I got the outside done, and intended to do the inside, but somehow never got time to get back to it. It did not matter so much on Kaoss because that car has huge rotors, but on my car it showed. So a few hours of buffing and they look pretty good. Hopefully when I get bored, I can bring them up to a better shine. For now they look much better.

I got my seats today and was able to install them in the car:

Sorry, Riggs, no video of me pretending to drive it.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #146
Kaos
DC Crew

Member #61596

My Corvette(s)
69 Resto-mod

looks GREAT!!!

Are those the same year of C4 seats that are in Killer/Kaos? I love those seats way better than the C5 seats I had in my other red 69 vette and they are a lot lighter too!!!
Kaos is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #147
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Good eye, Rob. I liked yours a lot and found a pair in pretty good shape.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #148
Custom Image
Supporting Vendor

Member #98253

My Corvette(s)
1976, 1980, 1982, 2003

Brent what can I say except that you should quit your job and move out to South Dakota and work with me again. Let's get the dynamic duo back together. You were the best apprentance that a guy could ask for and I think that all the time you spent at the shop working on all of the various projects help you to discover a hidden tallent. You were very careful about what you got into and now look at you, disecting heater controls and rebuilding heater boxes.
Keep up the great work and I can't wait for you to bring the car out here so we can start the body transformation and get a chance to work side by side again.
Custom Image is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
WWW.CustomImageCorvettes.com
Your One Stop LSx Swap Shop and source for everything C3
Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #149
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Hope you plan on guarding the drive shaft before you drive it

Very Very nice work
walleyfisher is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 11-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #150
riggs 74
DC Crew

Member #78208

My Corvette(s)
74 vette

Quote:
I got my seats today and was able to install them in the car:

Sorry, Riggs, no video of me pretending to drive it.
How can you resist taking a break and having a seat there in those comfortable seats and taking an imaginary trip while running though the gears? Make sure you get it on video when you do. Those must be heated seats, I see the cord hanging there. LOL

Riggs.
riggs 74 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in