76 project - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #31
lsejlowe
DC Pit Crew

Member #6680

My Corvette(s)
black '69 350/350 4spd

what'd you do about the "custom" engine mount? Did it just unbolt?
lsejlowe is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Optimists think the glass is half full.
Pessimists think the glass is half empty.
Engineers realize it's twice as big as it needs to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #32
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Got some bad news today. The trailing arms are needing rebuilt. The diff also needs reworked. Josh has some 4:11's that we were originally going to put in the back. I really don't understand that stuff so much, but I guess with the Richmond six speed, first gear would be pretty useless unless I was going to enter a tractor pull or something Josh is working out getting that all worked out for me. This was not in the budget, but I really can't complain. The car has been very good to me up until now with no surprises. It is kind of a blessing because I would so much rather deal with it now then later. I have the car torn down and I have Josh here, and when it is done it will be new from front to back.
Rob: I forgot to mention that when I got done unpacking all of those goodies, in the bottom of the box was a VBP catalog with your car on it. I was like : nice car!
Spy photos... yea, I don't think so. I can tell you all this though: Soon, and amazing.
Tomorrow after work I will dig into the rear end. That should be some messy fun.
brent319 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #33
77Custom
DC Crew

Member #86431

My Corvette(s)
77 Custom C3

Oh Lord, what I would give for a car lift! My back would thank me for at least another 10 years!

Great build Brent. Can't wait to see it !

Best,

Robert
77Custom is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Robert Swope
Don't golf... fabricate!

FULL TILT : http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff412/FullTilt1977/

Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #34
Double_Take
DC Crew

Member #48594

My Corvette(s)
1970 Coupe (sold), 1970 coupe

Your making me feel inadaquate!

In the time since this thread was started I have fixed 4 wiring issues and diagnosed my accelerator pump needle was sticking.

Awesome job, its great to see you taking advantage of your situatin. We are all jealous!
Double_Take is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvettes are like fake tits, there is no point in paying big bucks if youre just going to stare at them.

"It takes 8463 bolts to assemble a car. It takes one nut to scatter it all over the road."

"If you ever injected truth into politics you'd have no politics."
Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #35
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

The "custom" engine mounts are welded on the frame. One straddled the old steering box. I am really hoping that the new rack's shaft will fit down through there. I am sure we can modify it if it does not, but the frame is already powder coated. I would have liked to gone about this differently, but time did not allow and you just gotta go with it.
I went over for a few hours after work and got the front hub assemblies broken down and cleaned them up a bit. I will blast them later. I just wanted to get them out of the way. Tonight I will break down the rear end and get it off to Mike Dyer ASAP. Big thanks to him for taking on the diff and the trailing arms. There are some places locally that can do it, but I don't really know anything about them. Everything else in the car is new and I really want the mechanical stuff to be all done right and not have to worry about it.
I have never done this kind of thing before so I don't have much to go by, but it does seem like things are moving along quickly. I have been working a full time job, trying to be part of my family, and spending countless hours at Custom Image. This is not how I would have planned any of this, but this chance was once in a lifetime and the window is very small. I have been very fortunate (so far) because my wife has been most understanding. I think it is partly because she knows that I have always wanted to do something like this, but it was never going to be possible. Also partly because she was the one that brought up the idea of getting a "cool car" in the first place
I am also lucky that Josh is pretty fun to hang around with. I have been spending at least as much time at the shop as I do at my job and if I didn't enjoy it, I would never be able to drag myself over there every day after work. I can sleep when it is done. Oh crap. These cars are never really "done", are they?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #36
Kaos
DC Crew

Member #61596

My Corvette(s)
69 Resto-mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post
Tonight I will break down the rear end and get it off to Mike Dyer ASAP. Big thanks to him for taking on the diff and the trailing arms. There are some places locally that can do it, but I don't really know anything about them.

Very good choice to have Mike do the diff & trailing arms. You will not have to worry about them ever again. He does great work and is monies well spent.
Kaos is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #37
COPO
DC Crew

Member #71571

Cool build!!
COPO is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #38
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I made it home from the shop. I have to get up for work in four hours, but I am not really sleepy. I got the diff. disassembled, but it took me all night. I am new to this stuff and am sure most of you guys would have had it done hours ago and been asleep by now. Josh was busy with Kaoss, and so I was pretty much alone. I got to a couple of points where I had to wait for him to take a break and have him come over and bail me out, but it is done.
I am SO glad that it all worked out like it did and I am having Mike redo the back end. Here are the stub axles.

I don't know much about rear ends, but I know that ain't right.
Tomorrow we may run up and get the frame from powder coat, depending mostly on how much time he has available. I can't wait to see that.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #39
tektrans
DC Crew

Member #79719

lotta work so far-your on a mission
tektrans is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #40
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I did not have any time this week to work on the car, but today I was able to go up and get the frame from powder coat. Rainbow in Cedar Rapids, Iowa sand blasted the frame and 2 crossmembers and coated them with gloss black. The whole bill was $347. I think that was a pretty fair deal and they did a great job. When I was done the guy who I think was the owner of the shop came out and looked at the frame and asked what year it was. I told him and then he asked "what's it gonna have in it". I told him and LS1 and a Richmond and he said he would really like to see it when it was done, and asked if I would send him a picture. That kind of interest is pretty cool in my book. I have never dealt with them before, but it seems like a really down to earth family run business. I like that a lot, and I will go back if I need more big stuff done.

I am hoping that I we can set up the powder coating soon so I can get the rear end and trailing arms coated and sent off to Mike. I think I should have just spent the money and had Rainbow do it too so I could get them out. I need to get them back so when time allows I have all the parts here so I can put this thing together.
Hope to have more updates soon......
Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #41
Kaos
DC Crew

Member #61596

My Corvette(s)
69 Resto-mod

Mike will powder coat your stuff for you. No need to wait to sent to him.

Frame looks awesome and $347 sounds like a hell of a good deal.
Kaos is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #42
riggs 74
DC Crew

Member #78208

My Corvette(s)
74 vette

Sand blasting will eat up a lot of time, Well worth the $347, time and money well spent.

Riggs
riggs 74 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #43
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Oh, thanks Rob. That could save some time!
I probably won't get the body painted this season, and was considering spraying a flat black guide coat or undercoat or something on it for now. I actually like that look, but would not want to keep it forever. I have seen the photos of the "17" flared flat black 'vette and think it looks really bad-ass. The funny part, however, would be having a flat black body and super glossy frame.
I am kind of at the end of our budget, but was thinking that I should order new soft lines for the brakes. I will have new master, main lines, and calipers and it seems kind of silly to put who knows how old soft lines back into the system.
Oh, yea. The calipers came in from VBP. They powdercoated them red and they look great.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #44
tektrans
DC Crew

Member #79719

Frame looks GREAT!
tektrans is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #45
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Hey Brent that powder coat frame looks real nice. There's not a shop in my area that can do a frame so I will use paint on mine. When I get to the point to order parts I'll be calling Josh. Hope he is ready to answer a million questions. Keepup the good work. Mark
Marks76ray is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in