76 project - Page 6 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #76
Custom Image
Supporting Vendor

Member #98253

My Corvette(s)
1976, 1980, 1982, 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday I left the shop feeling pretty good. I was able to get the u joint out by working it back and forth. I had been unable to proceed with the brake lines because I lost 2 fittings that go in the back. I looked over and over and could not find them. I decided I must have thrown them out with the old brake lines. Last night I moved something and found them both! I cleaned them up and they are ready to go.

I also could not find one of the angle brackets for the parking brake. I found it on the end of the old brake line.

So I left last night feeling pretty good. I can clean up the half shafts today and powder coat them..
I got over there after work and blasted the half shafts. That went well. Spent a lot of time masking off all of the stuff that needs to be masked. Thought I would pre-bake them since they are really smooth and would like a nice finish on them. Okay...
I went to take them out of the oven and the rack was warmer then I expected and the gloves were getting pretty toasty. In my haste to set the rack down, I dropped the whole thing. Not on the floor, though.
I managed to drop the whole deal in a drip pan that had old tranny fluid in it.
Is there a Murphy's Law for powder coating?
Going to grab some dinner and head back over to fix my stupid mess.
man with all of this pre baking and re-prebaking. You are going to have one hell of a utility bill to pay...
Custom Image is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
WWW.CustomImageCorvettes.com
Your One Stop LSx Swap Shop and source for everything C3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #77
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

DOH! I only pre-baked stuff when it was going to be "chrome" Some guy made me read a book on powder coating and it mentioned that doing so released gasses and moisture from the metal for a smoother finish. The shafts were in nice shape, so I did them chrome and wanted it to be nice and flat. I think they turned out well. When they got done last night it was pretty late, so I unplugged the oven and left them in there.
Our twins are moving out of the house this weekend :-( and we have to get ready for that so I am not sure how much time I will have the next few days, but parts are starting to come in. I got a couple of big boxes from Mike Dyer today:

that should be my trailing arms and diff.
I had to get a new bellhousing (ouch) and it should be here Friday or Monday. I wound up with the QT RM-6036. When that gets here I will have pretty much everything I need to make a pretty cool car.
brent319 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #78
Custom Image
Supporting Vendor

Member #98253

My Corvette(s)
1976, 1980, 1982, 2003

Can't believe you resisted the urge to open those!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #79
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

You know me better then that!
I hauled the boxes over to the shop. Spent quite a while figuring out the trailing arms and all the shims and ... aw. .screw it. I will work on the diff.
I got it on a jack and balanced it all the way to the top. The jack came up about an inch short. *crap* I needed a 2x4 support the diff, but short enough to fit in there. I will bring one over to the shop tomorrow and get it on.
I thought the half shafts turned out well.

Tomorrow is busy again, but I should have a couple of hours after work and get the diff. installed and see what other trouble I can get into.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #80
Custom Image
Supporting Vendor

Member #98253

My Corvette(s)
1976, 1980, 1982, 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post
You know me better then that!
I hauled the boxes over to the shop. Spent quite a while figuring out the trailing arms and all the shims and ... aw. .screw it. I will work on the diff.
I got it on a jack and balanced it all the way to the top. The jack came up about an inch short. *crap* I needed a 2x4 support the diff, but short enough to fit in there. I will bring one over to the shop tomorrow and get it on.
I thought the half shafts turned out well.

Tomorrow is busy again, but I should have a couple of hours after work and get the diff. installed and see what other trouble I can get into.
Now those look nice!! good job dude!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #81
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Real nice job Brent. Iv'e got to get me a powder coating gun and oven. My frame is at the frame shop should get it back next week then I will start doing some serious rebuilding. BTW its been too hot to work around here. Keep us posted Mark
Marks76ray is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #82
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

If it is hot enough, you won't need an oven
I would really recommend getting a powder coating gun. For the price of having a few parts done, you can just own the equipment and go crazy. If I were to do it, I would grab a cheap/free oven off of Craig's list and make a stand out of 2x4's to raise it up to a decent working level for what you are doing.
I went looking for bolts today for the '76. I had been to Ace and Menard's and gotten some there. I stopped at Paul's (kind of a farm/everything store) and they have a decent selection of grade 8 bolts. The really nice part is they sell them by the pound, so you can just grab a bunch of stuff and throw it in a bag. Saved a lot of time, and since the bots I got were small, it really came out pretty cheap. I will be going back there often in the next few days.
Josh is headed back to Iowa (yea!) soon and though there is a lot of other stuff to do, there should be some serious progress on my frame.
I ordered the RM-6063 bellhousing from Summit to hook the LS1 up to the Richmond 6 speed. He found a pilot bushing extension which gives more contact and makes me feel better about the setup.
The only thing left to find is seats, and I don't need them for a while.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #83
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Been kind of busy getting Josh moved out and my twins moved into the dorms, but we got the car into my garage. We have a 3 stall garage and the 'vette is taking all of them. I have been trying to organize it and get it down to 2.

I took the headlight assembly apart and cleaned/powdercoated all of the parts. I was putting them back together today and then decided .... while I am here... I might as well clean up inside there and throw some paint on it.

Tomorrow it will be dry after work and I can paint it and put the lights back in.
The rolling chassis looks pretty cool. My neighbors have all stopped in to check it out. I hope to have the big ass wheels on it pretty soon and then it will really look nasty. :-)
After we took the u-joints out to powder coat the half shafts we inspected them and found them to be bad. I was kind of thinking about replacing them either way since the car is torn down, but this forced the issue and that is fine. Gotta look around and find some solid (non grease) Spicers on line.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #84
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Cool Brent
looks like you have gotten yourself set up at home. Lot of work ahead of you but will be worth it. I have stalled a little on mine trying to clean up parts on a bronco project and sell them to make money for the vette. Mark
Marks76ray is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #85
riggs 74
DC Crew

Member #78208

My Corvette(s)
74 vette

Brent, I think I have a set that I was going to use, but did not because my halfshafts were junk so I bought a new set of 3'' shafts fully assembled, I believe I have them setting in the garage, I'll have to look and make sure. If I do, I'll sell you the full set of 4 for $50 + shipping. Pm me if your interested.

Riggs.
riggs 74 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #86
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Thanks, man! I will get back to you on that for sure.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #87
Custom Image
Supporting Vendor

Member #98253

My Corvette(s)
1976, 1980, 1982, 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs 74 View Post
Brent, I think I have a set that I was going to use, but did not because my halfshafts were junk so I bought a new set of 3'' shafts fully assembled, I believe I have them setting in the garage, I'll have to look and make sure. If I do, I'll sell you the full set of 4 for $50 + shipping. Pm me if your interested.

Riggs.
Thanks for helping my man out!!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 AM   #88
riggs 74
DC Crew

Member #78208

My Corvette(s)
74 vette

Brent, yes I do have (4) 5-799x spicers, these are the greaseless style, brand new still in the boxes. If you want them, Pm me your address.

Riggs
riggs 74 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #89
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I got done helping Josh get Custom Image moved out of town. Originally I asked him if I could come over and hang out. I told him I would sweep the floor or whatever needed done. I wound up learning tons of stuff, doing a lot of cool things, and even buying my own 'vette. It turned out that I was over there pretty much every day. And now 8 month later..........

I told Josh, "Hey, I told you I would sweep the floors!" He said, "It is about F***ing time!"
I got the inside painted and got the headlight assemblies all put back in.

I also got the brake pedal out and was going to put the man pedal in but I remembered that the connector from the clutch to the switch is missing and I need to figure out how to connect them.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #90
77Custom
DC Crew

Member #86431

My Corvette(s)
77 Custom C3

Brent,

You are a man after my own heart. Build with your hands... and love with your heart!

You are welcome in my (humble) garage anytime.

I have ALOT of parts... what do you need? You pay the shipping, and I will send them to you... they are taking up space that I need for my Model A rumble seat roadster!

PM me.

and Good Luck !

RObert
77Custom is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Robert Swope
Don't golf... fabricate!

FULL TILT : http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff412/FullTilt1977/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in