76 project - Page 7 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 09-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #91
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Robert: Thanks! I appreciate the offer and the kind words, especially from you. I think I have all the parts I need, but I have also learned that as soon as you think you have everything...... I will keep you in mind for sure.
I got a package on the front steps today. I love that!

I am so glad that I did not re-use the old ones. It would have been a shame to have it all torn down and have everything new and not replace those also.
A big THANK YOU to Riggs for helping out!!
brent319 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #92
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Kind of slow progress. I had to have a bunch of stitches in my arm and while it did not really hurt, I had to be careful not to pull them out. They are healing well and I was able to take the bandages off and get busy again. SWEET! So I leave work a couple hours early and go straight to the garage. I was working on the car and the garage setting up shop when they called and said they need me to come back in so they can cut it open again and start the whole process over. :-(
I built a temporary shelf to put a lot of the small parts on.

I have a wood shop in our basement. I kept moving stuff around down there, so I decided to put french cleats on the walls and hang stuff that way. That worked out well since now when I need to bring up tools and such, I can just hang them on the cleat in the garage.

I was missing some rubber bumpers on my clutch pack and those came in from Zip today. That was fast! I still need to make a lever for the neutral safety switch that is missing. I am not really sure how far the clutch is going to travel and so it is hard to get it right. I guess I will wait until the master is installed and see what I have to work with.

Then I made a big mistake. The car is fairly clean underneath for a 35 year old vehicle, but there is the usual greasy stuff in the tunnel and at the end.

The plan is to take a brush and hit the big greasy spots and then degreas/power blast it. I had a few min. to kill before dinner and I had the drill with a brush on it. I thought I would hit it real quick and just see what I am going to be up against. BIG MISTAKE. Even that little bit I did got greasy crap all over me and it took some serious scrubbing and scraping in the shower to get cleaned off. NOTE TO SELF:
When you go to do the underneath, start early and do it all at once.
When the UPS guy delivered the bumper today he said the guy around the corner moved. I thought "yea, so?" He said he took stuff to him about every day and that black car sure was cool. Then I figured out he was talking about our very own Josh from Custom Image.
Well have a good weekend everyone!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #93
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Glad to see your update brent.

When I cleaned the bottom of mine it was like you said a real mess. I wish I had a update for my build but I have been disassembling a 88 money pit bronco. I will be a few weeks on it cleaning parts to sale. I am putting the money into the vette. I did get my oil pan welded on the 8.1L and the frame straightened. Mark
Marks76ray is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #94
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I had a good weekend! First thing I did was go out and buy a real tool box. That is something that I have always wanted, but never really needed since all of my tools were downstairs in the workshop. Now I have to go buy some stuff to fill it up. My son saw the blanket on the ls1 and asked if I was warming up the engine.

When I made my dolly for the body, I put the cross memebers too high and it was actually sitting on the floor pan instead of the body mounts. I screwed a 1x8 below the original 2x4 and then removed the 2x4 so I could get to it better.

Then I got plastic up all around the car. I duct taped it to the floor so water would not run under it. That worked out pretty well.

I went through the underneath of the car with a brush attached to a drill and got a lot of the gunk off.

Next I took some purple cleaner stuff and put it in a pump sprayer and sprayed the whole thing. I went over it with a hand brush and that really got it out. Next was the pressure wash.

I put the plastic down so that I would not get gunk all over the garage. It turns out that it all went on me anyway. At least my socks stayed white. Oh, hell. Those are my feet.

I am done for the day and am going to let it dry until tomorrow after work. I need to figure out what I am going to cover it with and hopefully start putting that on soon.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #95
ScottBlack
DC Crew

Member #68778

My Corvette(s)
69 Coupe

Nice work Brent.
ScottBlack is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #96
riggs 74
DC Crew

Member #78208

My Corvette(s)
74 vette

Hey Brent, You made the dirty job look too easy. Have you thought about adding a sound/heat barrier to the car to keep the interior nice and cool. Now would be a great time to use a product called http://www.lizardskin.com/ on the under side of the car, the C3's get real hot on the inside and part of it is for heat transfer from the engine and exhaust. I will be pulling my motor out very soon and look to use this on the fire wall and the trans tunnel, I have never used it, but I think I am going to give it a try.

Riggs.
riggs 74 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #97
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Scott: Thanks! Nice looking 'vette you got. Do you have any bigger pictures?
Riggs: Yea, that was one of the options I was looking into but was not sure you could roll it on. I can't spray anything so I need to do it that way. I do want to keep the heat down. I have some Second Skin that I am going to put on the inside, but if I could slow it down on the outside too, that would be good. I was also thinking about doing a heater core bypass valve while I have it all apart anyway. Couldn't hurt.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #98
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Hi Brent

I looked the same way when I cleaned mine. The nice thing about having it that clean is when you work on it the 30 year old grunge is gone. As for the lizzard skin I will be doing that treatment to mine as well as the inside. At this point it wouldn't make seance to go this far and not do everything possible to stop the heat.

Looking at your gas tank and was wandering if you are going to keep the bladder in it. I have the same tank and the bladder is in great shape. Mark
Old 09-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #99
Custom Image
Supporting Vendor

Member #98253

My Corvette(s)
1976, 1980, 1982, 2003

Looks great Brent! I remember doing that to the Mistress, man did I get dirty.

Mark, that tank is new and doesn't have a blatter. If it did I would have removed it anyway. I am going to weld on a sump to feed fuel to the LS1.
Custom Image is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
WWW.CustomImageCorvettes.com
Your One Stop LSx Swap Shop and source for everything C3
Old 09-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #100
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Image View Post
Looks great Brent! I remember doing that to the Mistress, man did I get dirty.

Mark, that tank is new and doesn't have a blatter. If it did I would have removed it anyway. I am going to weld on a sump to feed fuel to the LS1.
Thanks for the advice Josh.

BTW I am getting real close to calling you on a bumper order, just waiting to sell some more parts laying around the shop.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #101
ScottBlack
DC Crew

Member #68778

My Corvette(s)
69 Coupe

Brent,

This picture is several years old but it's the best I have right now. I've got a couple of projects ahead of my vette but am gathering some great ideas from fellas such as yourself. I view the DC forums with keen interest in what others are doing. Keep up the great work.

Scott

Last edited by lsejlowe; 09-15-2011 at 12:17 PM.
ScottBlack is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #102
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Scott: Your car looks great! I really like that. http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=DSCI0044.jpg

When I started all of this I was taken by Kaoss (Killer back then) and then I found out it was right here in Iowa City. A few days ago I fell in love with a perfect 72 Baldwin Motion that I saw on "another" forum. Great car, but even better story behind it. Just found out it is about an hour away from me and I hope to cross paths with it soon. Who would have thought you could see such cool 'vettes in Iowa?
Yesterday I took apart the windshield wipers. Took the motor off and the wipers and cleaned out the gunk and spare parts that were in there. Next thing I knew I was scraping the crap out of the fender wells. I am not sure what it was... if it was factory or added, but it looked like it was applied with a mop. I got the driver's side cleaned out and will probably get the pass. side today. I can spray smoother stuff on it when I do the rest. Funny how you get sidetracked.
I got the assembly manual yesterday from Zip so I hope to figure out how to put the front end supports on.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #103
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

This weekend I finished up cleaning out the wiper tray and painting it.

I will get the wipers back in tomorrow. I got sidetracked today taking out the A/C and heater boxes and started to lay down second skin inside the firewall.

Back to work tomorrow :-( Hope you all had a good weekend.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #104
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

I got the wiper assembly back in the tray. Looks much better.

I spent the rest of the day laying down second skin on the floorboards and fire wall. That takes a lot more time then I had planned.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #105
Custom Image
Supporting Vendor

Member #98253

My Corvette(s)
1976, 1980, 1982, 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent319 View Post
I got the wiper assembly back in the tray. Looks much better.

I spent the rest of the day laying down second skin on the floorboards and fire wall. That takes a lot more time then I had planned.
Looks awesome!
Custom Image is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
WWW.CustomImageCorvettes.com
Your One Stop LSx Swap Shop and source for everything C3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in