Lowering the C5 - A Step by Step Walkthrough - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #16
awesomeame

Member #16070

nice pics & everything, but i didn't remove the wheels or disconnect the a-arms.

i drove up on ramps, then disconnected the sway bar where it attaches to the frame, then pulled out the two bolts on the bottom end of each shock. then jack up directly on the leaf spring one side at a time...get the leaf high enough to put a prybar between the lower a-arm and lift up on the leaf that way. Then pull out the front bolts/bushings no prob.

a lot easier and faster then removing all that other stuff, but it does require some upper torso strength.

for the rear end, just jack up on the leaf a little, pull the bolt out and switch it. don't leave it without a bolt for very long with a hydraulic jack-they bleed down.

anyway, just a different way of doing things. good write up! your ride looks sweet btw

--matt
awesomeame is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2005, 09:25 PM   #17
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)
Slammed 06 6 speed with some mods

Quote:
Originally posted by awesomeame
nice pics & everything, but i didn't remove the wheels or disconnect the a-arms.

i drove up on ramps, then disconnected the sway bar where it attaches to the frame, then pulled out the two bolts on the bottom end of each shock. then jack up directly on the leaf spring one side at a time...get the leaf high enough to put a prybar between the lower a-arm and lift up on the leaf that way. Then pull out the front bolts/bushings no prob.

a lot easier and faster then removing all that other stuff, but it does require some upper torso strength.

for the rear end, just jack up on the leaf a little, pull the bolt out and switch it. don't leave it without a bolt for very long with a hydraulic jack-they bleed down.

anyway, just a different way of doing things. good write up! your ride looks sweet btw

--matt
Ya,thats cool,iv'e done it like that too,the long way is safer,i really don't like to post dangerous procedures.I also did the rear like you mentioned.And once the new bolts were in,i did all the adjustments without jacking the car,just reach under,half turn or whatever.I must have done that 50 times (over a weeks time)in the rear to get it perfect,gets to the point were you only turn one side a 1/4 turn at a time.

The other reason i did it the long way,(now my secret is out),i had to remove the spring,because along with removing the front adjustment bolts,i trimmed half of the rubber from the inner spring brackets,(rectangles),i took half the rubber from the top side of the spring,and glued it on the bottom side rubber that was already there,then put the brackets back on and tightened.
I saved the rubber i cut off (now under spring),because i didn't want to trim the aluminum brackets to make-up then space i cut out.I could go lower,i actually was lower,but i fucked up my right side rocker panel real bad a couple years ago.Didn't have the frame savers.

I'm curious how low you guys went.Heres my ride height...
Front... - from floor to top center of fender lip 25 1/4 ".......(used to be 25 even).
Rear... - 26 1/4"...(used to be 26" even)

Lower rear front fender,were lower fender seam meets the door seam,and wraps under the car...
go to the lower rear of the front fender,were the seam meets the lower door seam,but under the car/bottom,i took a measurment from the flat/underneith section of the fender (next to the little fender bolt).....from the floor to the bottom i just described,is 2 3/4 "....

Thats with stock zo6 wheels sizes 17/18.
T.M. is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
06 6 speed manual. Z51 . Lemans blue/white stripes... Big ass Texas speed cam and valvetrain...Kooks longtubes / xpipe / Corsa /... Vararam.... underdriven pulley.. Electric water pump... Monster clutch..all done on jack stands at home Customs tunes.. 2 1/2 inch drop and dark ass tint
Old 02-06-2005, 07:28 AM   #18
awesomeame

Member #16070

what size are the stock z06 wheels? ie 245-40-17...that'll change the height of the fender measurements too, right?

i'll go measure mine too...i am curious now

--matt

Old 02-06-2005, 08:10 AM   #19
awesomeame

Member #16070

you've got an inch on me todd! but i wouldn't want to go any lower with the streets around here :cry:

Front: from floor to top center of fender lip 26-5/16"
Rear: from floor to top center of fender lip 26-9/16"

i measured behind that little bolt, and came up with 3-3/4". and fyi, the distance from the jacking pad to the floor is the same on all my 4 corners.

that is on stock 245-45-17 / 275-40-18

i bet the rear measurements fluctuates with different gas levels a bit too.

just a thought, as this is a pretty popular topic in this forum: maybe we could get a sticky at the top of the c5 section with instructions, and the heights of everyone who has lowered so we can compare?

--matt
Old 02-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #20
SlammedVette

Member #19415

25.25 front and 25.75 rear.Will be about an inch lower with coilovers
SlammedVette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #21
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

You guys are pretty low too.

Z06 tires are wider,and a 1/2" shorter (overall diameter).So i had to go lower to close the added gap after changing from the run flats.

My long term goal is to put 19 front 20 rear.....without raising the car.Not a problem.Just need to reseach the tire diameters.This might suprise some.These are all rear tires.
Overall diameter + height of tire from top to bottom.

Eagle F1-GS (C5 RUN FLAT)...275/40/18..overall dia..27.7"

Eagle supercar tire (2003 zo6..which i have)..295/35/18..overall dia..26.1"

Michelin pilot sport..(note the 20" tire,is actually shorter than the 18 inch tire)...295/35/18..overall dia...26.2"......285/25/[b]20[/]b..overall dia....25.6"....they also have a 30 series 20" tire that is 27" tall...got these specs off the tire rack site.You can see that when you go big tire,better know what dia your getting..

I'll see about the sticky thread...
I'm going to guess ALLKAR is the lowest..(body to ground/as well as wheel gap.....
06 6 speed manual. Z51 . Lemans blue/white stripes... Big ass Texas speed cam and valvetrain...Kooks longtubes / xpipe / Corsa /... Vararam.... underdriven pulley.. Electric water pump... Monster clutch..all done on jack stands at home Customs tunes.. 2 1/2 inch drop and dark ass tint
Old 02-06-2005, 12:24 PM   #22
SlammedVette

Member #19415

Quote:
Originally posted by hawaii-5-lo
[B]You guys are pretty low too.

Z06 tires are wider,and a 1/2" shorter (overall diameter).So i had to go lower to close the added gap after changing from the run flats.

My long term goal is to put 19 front 20 rear.....without raising the car.Not a problem.Just need to reseach the tire diameters.This might suprise some.These are all rear tires.
Overall diameter + height of tire from top to bottom.

Eagle F1-GS (C5 RUN FLAT)...275/40/18..overall dia..27.7"

Eagle supercar tire (2003 zo6..which i have)..295/35/18..overall dia..26.1"

Michelin pilot sport..(note the 20" tire,is actually shorter than the 18 inch tire)...295/35/18..overall dia...26.2"......285/25/20[/]b..overall dia....25.6"....they also have a 30 series 20" tire that is 27" tall...got these specs off the tire rack site.You can see that when you go big tire,better know what dia your getting..

I'll see about the sticky thread...
I'm going to guess ALLKAR is the lowest..(body to ground/as well as wheel gap.....
Vetteret on the CF is just as low,mine will be the same soon!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 12:49 PM   #23
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by SlammedVette
Vetteret on the CF is just as low,mine will be the same soon!!!
Cool,what rim/tire package are you going to use.If i dropped another inch (which i can without coil overs),my tires would be rubbing the the fender,the top of the tire not the sides.The tire i have now is 26.1" tall,that leaves me almost a finger to stick in the gap.Another inch and the tire would be hella tucked in the well and rub the top inner fender.A mini-tub would be cool.I really can't go lower as our roads are filled with pot holes,some are deep enough so the body will hit as the tire goes in the pothole,and driveways on an island are steap and short.
I look like a drunk driver as i'm constantly dodging potholes and boulders that roll off the mountains into the highway near my house,my best thing to run over yet,was a alternator bracket from a truck.That made some evil sounds passing under the car.I couldn't change lanes,so just angled the car so as i hit the damn thing it would not gouge open my oil pan..
Old 02-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #24
SlammedVette

Member #19415

19&20 Motorsports.I went from CCW 18" Classic package and my 19/20 combo is shorter diameter then the 18's.Allkar and Vettret both have 19/220 combo too.They just have I-forged and I have Motorsports.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #25
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by SlammedVette
19&20 Motorsports.I went from CCW 18" Classic package and my 19/20 combo is shorter diameter then the 18's.Allkar and Vettret both have 19/220 combo too.They just have I-forged and I have Motorsports.
Cool,your ready to go then.My fav rims are iForged aeros.
I like the aftermarket rocker panels ALLKAR has,it enhances the slammed look.
I'll be looking for your pics when your done..
Old 02-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #26
ALLKAR
DC Crew

Member #15842

My Corvette(s)
'01 and '03 Z06

Has anyone thought about doing a reverse spring mount? Mounting the spring under the front A-arm
like the rear. You would have to drill a hole through
the A-arm for the adjusting bolt. I would think that the spring would be tightend enough to ride close enough to the A-arm, so ground clearance should not be a problem.
24 to 24.5" ground to fender should be no problem
with this.
I'm not sure about the clearances (spring contacting the A-arm), but as soon as the weather warms I'm going to give it a try. Dropping over $2000 for coilovers to get that extra 1" sucks.
ALLKAR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'01 and '03 Z06
'01 MODS: 1 of 137!! Speedway Wht. w/MOD RED Int., Blackwing, Quad Stingers, Mallett Shifter, '04 Z06 Shocks, Eradispeed+1, Flush Tail Lights, 18"/19" HRE 540R's & Lowered!
'03 MODS: Halltech Trap, Quad Stingers, BP Shifter , Alum. Gauge Bezels, PIAA 1100x, Flush EURO Amber Tail lights, MCM CF Hood, Caravaggio Side Splitters, Eradispeeds, DTE 4:10s w/Strut Brace, 19"/20" iFORGED Seneka's, Bilstein Coilovers & SLAMMED!!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #27
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

I had looked at that briefly.A while ago,it seemed that if the car would bounce,if the spring was on the bottom of the a-arm,but really can't tell.It's one of those things that would just need to be tested.
iI would like to see your results if you try it though.

I had thought about grinding the a-arm pad down,might be to weak.
I thought about making extension brackets,that would bolt to the alignment bolts (cam bolts i think),the a-arm could then drop down some,to much fabrication for something that might not work anyway.Then alignment would be a pain.
I thought about taking my stock a-arms to a machine shop,and having some tubular steel a-arms made with a lower angle going to the subframe.
Or even trying other a-arms from other cars.

I can get under 25" with my FE-3 sport spring by removing the rubber at the top of the spring from the inner spring brackets.I remove a 1/2" already,that got the car down to 25" even,but i trashed a rocker panel,raised it up a 1/4",and never got back under there to remove all the rubber from the top of spring.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #28
ALLKAR
DC Crew

Member #15842

My Corvette(s)
'01 and '03 Z06

I really want to try something with the stock spring, because I would like to try these for the front. They must be used with springs not alone.

I've seen a couple of good write ups on these. They have come a long way with air springs.

Last edited by ALLKAR; 02-06-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:29 PM   #29
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)

I am a huge air bag fan,not sure how they are for drag racing though....Always wondered if someone would make a vette kit.
Who's selling those air shocks in your post?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #30
ALLKAR
DC Crew

Member #15842

My Corvette(s)
'01 and '03 Z06

There from Air Ride.
http://www.ridetech.com/

You can use them on the front. They don't make a Rear for the C5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in