Lowering the C5 - A Step by Step Walkthrough - Page 9 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #121
SeanW
DC Crew

Member #51886

Thanks for the links!
SeanW is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 AM   #122
VetteViper77

Member #44930

Wow great info for the C6 trick.

You just saved me awhole lot of trouble. This weekend i went to lower the front of my vette more ( remove the rubber bushing on the front bolts) Well i tried to do it the lazy man way. I know for a fact if you dont disconnect the sway bar and shock you will not have enough clearence to pry up the spring and pull out the bolt. It OH SO DAMN close but just not enough. No worries i was carefull in all aspects of bodily harm and leaf spring harm.

There would be deffinatly enough clearence in as somone noted. IF you undo the shock and sway bar and jack up the leaf spring then pry on it alittle. Can remove the bolt with no problem.

So anyhow i been going through all my parts catalog's trying to find C5 front bolts so i can cut the bushing off and do away with my old ones. With the c6 trick no need. Thanks again

Oh FYI ,, using a flame to melt the bushings dont work lol. Those puppies are fire proof. I had the bolt with bushings weight free. Tried to propane the bushings off hopeing the melt right off. Negative.

Im thinking of getting blistens all the way around and hell with hit while its in the shop i get them to through in the C6 bolts. I need to slam the front half to a inch more. Then raise the back half a inch and i should have a great car stance. Thanks all for the help and tips.
VetteViper77 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2006, 07:36 AM   #123
patch68

Member #9295

Question for you guys. I just lowered my front by taking the bolts compleatly out. Is it normal to have this much negative camber after removing? Will there be enough adjustment to get it back, when i take it for alignment? Here is a picture to give you a idea of what im seeing. Back bolts are on the way.

patch68 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 11:01 AM   #124
Hawaiian Punch
Once again, "Hawaiian Punch"

Member #1146

My Corvette(s)
'95 Silveraldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch68
Question for you guys. I just lowered my front by taking the bolts compleatly out. Is it normal to have this much negative camber after removing? Will there be enough adjustment to get it back, when i take it for alignment? Here is a picture to give you a idea of what im seeing. Back bolts are on the way.

Yep it'll line back up striaght as before,, I have had several c-5 owners ask the same question and take they're car in and have it line back up easily.
Hawaiian Punch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #125
patch68

Member #9295

Thanks for the quick response. The drivers side seemed to be a little more In than the passenger side. As soon as the bolts show up, I'm putting them in. I wiil give it a week to settle, and of to the shop it goes. Thanks
Old 11-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #126
Hawaiian Punch

Member #1146

My Corvette(s)
'95 Silveraldo

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. The drivers side seemed to be a little more In than the passenger side. As soon as the bolts show up, I'm putting them in. I wiil give it a week to settle, and of to the shop it goes. Thanks
no problem and your car looks great!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #127
germeezy1
DC Crew

Member #50263

I can't lower mine anymore even though I have the little wheels underneath. The LT's scrape as it is but here is a pic of mine lowered on the 19/20 Cray Combo.
germeezy1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
01 Corvette 500 hp N/A 620 hp 665 tq with nitrous
11.9 @ 119 N/A [email protected] with nitrous
these times were run when the car had a stock transmission it now has an FLP Level 4 racing trans.
10's are soon to follow!
I also just sold a bolt on 99 Cobra Convertible and the wife has a brand new XC90 V-8 so yes I am a fan of the V-8 engine!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #128
patch68

Member #9295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Punch
I forgot to mention that there's a rubber stop on each end of the rear half shaft asymbly, you can trim that down and it'll smoothin out the ride without having to raise up the car, the bumbby feel your having is becuase of those stops bottoming out on the fram and half shafts asymbly.

Hey Hawaian Punch I'm try to figure out where these stops are, but im having problems finding them. I'm looking at both end of the half shaft, just don't know exactly what im looking at I guess. Can you help ? Here she is all the way down. I like it Thanks

Old 11-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #129
Hawaiian Punch

Member #1146

My Corvette(s)
'95 Silveraldo

Quote:
Hey Hawaian Punch I'm try to figure out where these stops are, but im having problems finding them. I'm looking at both end of the half shaft, just don't know exactly what im looking at I guess. Can you help ? Here she is all the way down. I like it Thanks

Niccccccccccccccccce! Ieeeeeeeeeeeee like it!!

I need a little bit more detail of what your asking if you dont mind, when you say "half shaft" thats out back at the rear end, the half shafts is in replace of the average cars rear end.

if it would be any easier or if you need an answer right away give me a call (808) 348-1183 ask for Kalani (rythms with salami I guess lol)
Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #130
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)
Slammed 06 6 speed with some mods

Hey bro...nice ride man.
Hawaiian Punch asked me to reply to you.Not sure if your hearing a noise,or feeling a sensation.Your car is almost as low as mine was...you can take the front down even more if you want,PM me if you want to do this.I had to remove my air dam the car was so low,or it would be dragging constantly.There are no bump stops in the back,i think you might be feeling the shocks bottoming out,or maybe the inner tire rubbing,not sure what tires and rim backspace you have,or maybe something is loose and not even related to the drop.I had to crawl over bumps,if i tried at say,2 miles per hour,the back would drop/bounce and i could feel the shocks bottom out.The funny thing,is at 150mph,i didn't notice this happening and the car was rock solid.You might want to get some adjustable sway bar end links and put the sway bar back to it's origanal geometry.My car was like this for 4+ years.
T.M. is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
06 6 speed manual. Z51 . Lemans blue/white stripes... Big ass Texas speed cam and valvetrain...Kooks longtubes / xpipe / Corsa /... Vararam.... underdriven pulley.. Electric water pump... Monster clutch..all done on jack stands at home Customs tunes.. 2 1/2 inch drop and dark ass tint
Old 11-09-2006, 05:09 AM   #131
patch68

Member #9295

Hey what im feeling is the shock bottoming out your right. Is there a fix? lowering shocks or something other than coilovers. Is it very hard on the car being this low? I'm going for my alighnment today. Thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #132
Willfulone
DC Crew

Member #22280

My Corvette(s)
2004 CE

Quote:
Hey what im feeling is the shock bottoming out your right. Is there a fix? lowering shocks or something other than coilovers. Is it very hard on the car being this low? I'm going for my alighnment today. Thanks

Switch to Bilstein sport schocks, they are shorter...

Peace
Chip
Custom Corvette Accessories
Willfulone is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 AM   #133
sick-vette

Member #53200

thanks for the info
sick-vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #134
germeezy1
DC Crew

Member #50263

My car is pretty low and it never bottoms out, I have the Bilstein sports. But damn I am worried about going down as low as you guys..I already scrape the bottom out wheels all the time.
germeezy1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
01 Corvette 500 hp N/A 620 hp 665 tq with nitrous
11.9 @ 119 N/A [email protected] with nitrous
these times were run when the car had a stock transmission it now has an FLP Level 4 racing trans.
10's are soon to follow!
I also just sold a bolt on 99 Cobra Convertible and the wife has a brand new XC90 V-8 so yes I am a fan of the V-8 engine!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:14 AM   #135
Omega-Red

Member #4976

Nice. Thx this is great
Omega-Red is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in