1976 Corvette Stingray 496... - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 07-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #16
76-Vetteman
DC Crew

Member #179994

Better Understanding with the 6L80

As I said earlier in this thread, the 6L80 will be my transmission behind the 496. Getting there however, may take a little finesse.

Grayflame posted photos of his 6L80 resting in a C3, and I have seen other C3 builds done as well. So, I know the install can be done without much trouble. But getting the 6L80 to work electronically will take more time, understanding, and perhaps drive a little deeper into the budget.

The 6L80 is a computer controlled transmission. There are no provisions for it to run in a standalone mode. Two way communication between the engine controller and the transmission controller must always be maintained, otherwise, the transmission is nothing more than a 225lb box of rocks.

AND, the 6L80 can only communicate with a Gen IV or GEN V engine controllers. If you have one of these controllers, don't get comfortable, there's more. Most all documentation says the controllers, both ECU and TCM must match, specifically by year.

None of this is a problem if you buy the engine controller and the transmission from the same donor vehicle. Otherwise, try to obtain transmission and ECM from the same year and model donor.

This, unfortunately, I Did Not Do!!!

The L18-496 is the only Big Block in LS clothing that GM built. The L18 only received Gen III controllers, therefore, my controller is not compatible with my 6L80 transmission. It will never work.

The problem is the early Gen III controllers used a 24X reluctor wheel, and the Gen IV and V controller used the 58X reluctor.

So, the problems I have to solve now are, 1) replace my 24X reluctor with 58X reluctor and Sensor on the existing 496 crank, 2) purchase a ECM controller to match my existing 6L80 transmission. Hopefully, this should put me back on track..

I'll add documentation later this evening or tomorrow to help make this a little more clear.

BillT
76-Vetteman is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #17
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Also be aware the transmission tunnel on a manual car is smaller than a tunnel on a automatic car. I found this out when several people said my 4L80E would not fit so I researched it and found this information. I only had to dimple the pan around the yoke area to make it fit because mine was a automatic car.

Mark
Marks76ray is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
My Build Link https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=148376

My Picture Link
http://www.supermotors.net/users/Busterbronco

I find a little piece of sanity through my vette project, other than that I rely on Jesus.

re·ly-Definition of

Depend on with full trust or confidence.
synonyms: depend on, place reliance on;
Old 07-31-2018, 06:31 PM   #18
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...automatic/6l80

It requires a CAN Bus Communication Network line.
Torque input capacity is just 440 ft/lbs stock.
Got better with the 6L90E.

The 496 built can put out 700ft/lbs Race ready.
Street tame it will be 550-600 ft/lbs.

I know a Turbo 400 is a no go on this project.
It can handle 800 ft/lbs stock rebuild with near zero internal upgrades.

4L80E is so much more flexible for driving needs.
Much better support.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #19
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
4L80E is so much more flexible for driving needs.
Much better support.

just maybe with a 60 or 65 instead of 80.
autowiz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #20
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
just maybe with a 60 or 65 instead of 80.
60 and 65 will die behind a 496 BBC.
EVEN LEVEL 45000.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #21
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-hd25-1

Best package deal on Summit Racing.
Rated for 850 Hp.
With torque converter.
$3200.
4L80E.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #22
76-Vetteman
DC Crew

Member #179994

I cracked open the 6L80 today to get the service number from the controller. It is a TECHM Hydraulic Transmission Controller, service 24256124. This number is important because it identifies through cross reference the engine controllers for which it is compatible.

From the Dorman Products site it shows this transmission controller is compatible with four transmission types, 6L45, 6L50, 6L80, 6L90; also compatible with year models, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and is compatible with fourteen model types from the GMC, Cadillac, and the Chevrolet product lines.

So, I apologize for the misinformation from the earlier post. Looks like my transmission controller is a lot more flexible with year and vehicle models than I was led to believe.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #23
76-Vetteman
DC Crew

Member #179994

Change of plan - this C3 goes C6

Hi guys,

It's time for an update!!

A year ago, I thought I knew where this restomod was going. The plan was to use the 496 Vortec, the 6L80, and to upgrade the rear end with new components. The suspension, steering, brakes and literally everything else would be rebuilt. Body and frame modifications for the 496 and the 6L80 would be required. And of course a redesign of the interior.

But over the last year I have given much more thought to the '76, and realize the original build plan to refresh a lot of C3 stuff, just would not work for me. And so I've decided on a new build plan, to build the '76 around C6 suspension components and other C6 and later technologies.

The negative side of this restomod is the extensive work, specifically to the body and frame that must be done. The positive side are the suspension gains that GM engineering bring forward over a 30 year span, 1976 to 2006.

The 496 is still the power plant, that has not changed. But a lot of steel parts will be replaced with lighter components where possible. The heavy truck intake, though it is aluminum will be replaced with a billet/sheet metal, perhaps composite manifold. She will be treated to a dose of Raylar engineering. The heads are here and they are beautiful !

The 6L80 will be rear mounted on the transaxle like the C6 to aid with weight distribution.

First things first, however... A new engine stand will be built for the 496. This special stand will allow the heavy 496 to rotate 360 degrees easily. We'll build it together here at DC, and the plans will be made available to all. Coming very soon.

Please follow along with me through this process.

Last edited by 76-Vetteman; 06-15-2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #24
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Good to see you follow through with the 496. One of the things that I have not encountered yet with mine is hood clearance. I have measured and it will be real close but until the body is back on, there is no way to know if there is enough clearance. With that sheet metal intake from Raylar it's going to give you a challenge. The way I look at things there is nothing I can't over come given enough time. I have been working on several projects and hope to get back on the Vette this fall. Ill be following your build very interesting approach using the C6 parts.

My Picture Link

I find a little piece of sanity through my vette project, other than that I rely on Jesus.

re·ly-Definition of

Old 06-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #25
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

wow, that is very ambitious! keep us posted on your progress. This should be fun to watch...
brent319 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #26
1963SS
DC Crew

Member #96709

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

Quote:
This special stand will allow the heavy 496 to rotate 360 degrees easily.
I bought a gear driven stand from Jegs…..or Summitt. I could never seem to get the balance right and wound up working myself to death just rotating the damn thing. Good choice. I'd like to throw the crank away on mine and use a flexplate/ring gear and a very slow starter or something. Lifelong electrician. I can figure something out.
1963SS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If smoking marijuana causes short term memory loss

What does smoking marijuana do?
Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #27
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

I can't wait to see this project moving along. Don't forget the pictures, whatever you do!
Old 06-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #28
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks76ray View Post
Good to see you follow through with the 496. One of the things that I have not encountered yet with mine is hood clearance. I have measured and it will be real close but until the body is back on, there is no way to know if there is enough clearance. With that sheet metal intake from Raylar it's going to give you a challenge. The way I look at things there is nothing I can't over come given enough time. I have been working on several projects and hope to get back on the Vette this fall. Ill be following your build very interesting approach using the C6 parts.
Speaking of 496, How's your 76 doing these days?
Old 06-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #29
76-Vetteman
DC Crew

Member #179994

Marks76, Brent, 1963SS, thanks for the comments.

Ambitious yes, and perhaps a bit overwhelming too. I've never taken on an auto project of this magnitude, so we'll see where this project goes.

The chassis: I am really excited to make this chassis conversion. This conversion is not about increasing value, but more about improving the cars ride, feel, driving experience, whatever you want to call it. I don't want this car to drive or ride as poorly as it did in '76. I don't want the crappy seats, scorching hot floor boards, or the awful air conditioning. So I'm trying to bring improved engineering and technology to one of the most beautiful Corvette body styles built.

The engine stand: All the material for the engine stand is in the shop and has been cut. There are a couple of plates that require machining. I'll get that done next week when I'm home. Most engine stands are configured with a pipe in a sleeve that is welded to a plate with arms that mount to the bellhousing. The unfortunate part of this configuration is that the mount plate rotational axis is near the crankshaft rotation axis. This stand places most of the engine weight above the rotational axis of the stand, making it quite difficult as 1963SS points out to roll the engine. So I've built a mounting plate that allow the repositioning of the engine on the stand, thus moving the center of gravity of the engine to a more favorable position. My stand with geared assembly, if balanced properly one should be able to easily rotate the engine with a 'speed wrench and socket, or with a 3/8" cordless drill motor and socket. The geared assembly has an internal lock so when the drive socket is removed the drive shaft locks. No magic here. I've seen variation of what I'm trying to build out there on the wild internet...

The transmission: Maniacmechanic1 and autowiz posted their comments about the 6L80. Their comments are correct. Perhaps the best choice for the 496 is the 4L80 transmission. But I don't like the 4L class transmissions; I've had a number of them over the years with varied success. Because the 6L80 is a little marginal for the 496, I am now looking into a 6L90 or an 8L90. Either can handle the 496 given my style of driving. Thanks Maniacmechanic1 and autowiz for your comments.

Thanks all again for your comments and valuable information.
Pictures coming, as soon as I get posting procedures down!!

BillT
Old 06-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #30
Marks76ray
DC Crew

Member #87984

My Corvette(s)
1976 Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
Speaking of 496, How's your 76 doing these days?
I haven't touched it in 2 years, took a long break i have however restored a pontoon boat and completed it last week so it's not like I have been sitting around. I am however about out of projects and am getting the itch to start back on the vette.

My Picture Link

re·ly-Definition of

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in