C5 Dealer Trans Flush - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #1
lougars
DC Crew

Member #144201

My Corvette(s)
c5

C5 Dealer Trans Flush

I took my 03 into the dealer with 15,000 miles to have the trans fluid changed, half way home my car lost D and only had 1 and 2. The dealer stated they did nothing wrong with their process and I may have to take them to court. I am having the tranny which is a automatic being rebuilt as we speak.
What can I use as a defense when I take them to court?
lougars is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

The problem is You have No Physical Evidence to prove your case.
By that I mean exact what failed.
Such as the 3-4 clutch pack burnt up.

Or the Shift Solenoid failed for 3-4 / Shift Solenoid B in the C5 Corvette 4L60e trans.

In the past a Master Mechanic could testify on your behalf in court.

I do not think many are willing to do that day.

Risk getting fired from thier jobs.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by lougars View Post
I took my 03 into the dealer with 15,000 miles to have the trans fluid changed, half way home my car lost D and only had 1 and 2. The dealer stated they did nothing wrong with their process and I may have to take them to court. I am having the tranny which is a automatic being rebuilt as we speak.
Honestly, and be honest. Why did you take your car for a transmission flush? Because you had too much money in your pocket? Because you had already performed every other conceivable service on your car and were looking for something else to do?

Nobody services the transmission until it starts giving problems. And the reality of transmission failures is that while the failure might be sped along by nasty fluid, once the failure has started, fresh fluid and acidity levels can mean an even faster demise. Not only do you not have a leg to stand on here, but you are wrong to come down on the shop that performed the transmission fluid flush UNLESS you find the transmission to have the wrong type or level of fluid in it. once problems are detected servicing should be a last hope but not an expectation of a solution.

So reliable is what I am saying that when going to a junkyard for a used transmission we should all be looking for the unit with the dirtiest fluid because that is gonna be the transmission with the least amount of problems. And the trans with the freshest fluid might not shift at all because it was giving so many problems that it was getting a bunch of attention.
autowiz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

His C5 4L60e got rebuilt.
No need to go to the junkyard Wiz.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
His C5 4L60e got rebuilt.
No need to go to the junkyard Wiz.
Quote:
I am having the tranny which is a automatic being rebuilt as we speak.
But I wasn't suggesting a repair just trying to point out a truth that I can not believe you are not keen to and explaining on your own with all your claims and talk about rebuilding these transmissions? what's up with that?
Old 10-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowiz View Post
But I wasn't suggesting a repair just trying to point out a truth that I can not believe you are not keen to and explaining on your own with all your claims and talk about rebuilding these transmissions? what's up with that?
He stated he is having the Trans rebuilt as we speak Wiz.

No photos.
4L60e tears down in 30 minutes.
Not hard there.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Malibu SS
DC Crew

Member #175673

When I bought mine, it had 84K on it. Super easy to drop the pan and clean out the sediment out of the pan, clean off the magnet, and put in a new filter. While I was at it, I welded in a drain plug at the lowest point. From this point on, I can just refresh the fluid as I see fit. I have also heard bad things about "flushing" an auto trans. Dont know if its good to do or not. I feel that if you dont change the filter once in a while, youre just wasting your time. I think GM says 100K miles. I just dont feel safe with that. If you can change your engine oil, you can change your trans oil. Its just that simple. When you get done, you can feel good about having done something to maintain your C5.
Malibu SS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu SS View Post
When I bought mine, it had 84K on it. Super easy to drop the pan and clean out the sediment out of the pan, clean off the magnet, and put in a new filter. While I was at it, I welded in a drain plug at the lowest point. From this point on, I can just refresh the fluid as I see fit. I have also heard bad things about "flushing" an auto trans. Dont know if its good to do or not. I feel that if you dont change the filter once in a while, youre just wasting your time. I think GM says 100K miles. I just dont feel safe with that. If you can change your engine oil, you can change your trans oil. Its just that simple. When you get done, you can feel good about having done something to maintain your C5.

Fresh fluid and filters are always good. That is just common sense. I think there is a reality here that people associate changing fluid as some kind of repair capability and that is just not how things work. Generally by the time you are noticing transmission problems the transmission is on its way out. And everybody rushes to the cheap hope. And the transmission is failing. So we find ourselves in this space where people claim failure shortly after flushing and nobody has the same common sense to understand that nobody services the transmission until it is having problems. And those people that are claiming problems right after failure were having problems that drove them to flush the transmission.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #9
Malibu SS
DC Crew

Member #175673

Ive never had a trans flushed so I have a question. On a trans without a dipstick, how do they know that the trans is at the correct level in the pan?? Do they put it up on a lift?? I think that the original poster should have put it up on jackstands and checked the oil level in the pan before he started blaming any body. I find it hard to believe that a 15 year old trans with 15K miles on it, would have anything wrong with it. I really wonder what the trans shop that rebuilt it, really found wrong with it. I wish that he would come back and post their findings.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu SS View Post
Ive never had a trans flushed so I have a question. On a trans without a dipstick, how do they know that the trans is at the correct level in the pan?? Do they put it up on a lift?? I think that the original poster should have put it up on jackstands and checked the oil level in the pan before he started blaming any body. I find it hard to believe that a 15 year old trans with 15K miles on it, would have anything wrong with it. I really wonder what the trans shop that rebuilt it, really found wrong with it. I wish that he would come back and post their findings.
There is a plug on the side of c5 4l60e pans and on the bottom of 6l80e corvette transmission pans. With the engine running and the car up on a lift, this plug is removed and the transmission is filled until fluid starts to run back out. This is the correct fill procedure for c5/c6 corvettes
Old 10-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #11
Malibu SS
DC Crew

Member #175673

Yes, thats the correct "Fill" procedure,,that I have done. But I thought that the mechanic spliced into the trans cooler at the radiator, with one fill line and one return line, on the lines, and pumped fluid thru the system until it was clean coming out. Maybe the machine monitors quantity of oil in, and quantity of oil coming out. Maybe its just one fill line going in, and the level plug on the side of the pan coming out. I dont know. I do know that it is pressure fed one way or another. I suppose that the second scenerio would insure that the trans was not overfilled. Either way, I would never have it done.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:57 PM   #12
gordy04vette
DC Crew

Member #22721

My Corvette(s)
2004 Z06, Z16 model.

Quote:
With only 15000 miles why mess with it? good luck proving anything. Never go yo a stealership!!
gordy04vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in