ABS wiring? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 11-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
johnbmech
DC Crew

Member #1325

My Corvette(s)
2k c5 coupe

ABS wiring?

Working on my 2000 vette abs problem.
I am tracing wiring coming from LF wheel sensor for a break in the wiring. I have checked the wires (light blue & yellow wire) from the wheel sensor to the firewall. That section is good. Where do the two wires go to from the firewall area? They look to go over the bell housing but no way to trace them from there.
johnbmech is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2018, 02:57 AM   #2
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

I don't have access to my repair manual right now and not trying to second guess you but are you sure it is the wiring? what kind of codes do you have?
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 11-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
johnbmech
DC Crew

Member #1325

My Corvette(s)
2k c5 coupe

ABS wiring

DTC code is 1232-wheel speed circuit open or shorted. Any info on where the wires (light blue & yellow) are going to from the firewall location. I have already checked the wires up to there with a meter & readings show good connections . Already replaced the LF wheel sensor assembly.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmech View Post
DTC code is 1232-wheel speed circuit open or shorted. Any info on where the wires (light blue & yellow) are going to from the firewall location. I have already checked the wires up to there with a meter & readings show good connections . Already replaced the LF wheel sensor assembly.
Do you have longtube headers? Those wires run along the bottom of the driver's side of the engine block and sometimes longtube headers melt these wires. These are pictures from when I installed my LSX engine..

These wires run under the LH engine mount and are bolted to the engine block. But come dangerously close to longtube headers. And this happens..

The repair is simple..

The ABS module is also under the hood and in front of the engine so looking behind the dash for a WSS failure is just a loosing proposition. If you already changed the hub bearing and you have LT headers this is where you should be looking.
autowiz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
johnbmech
DC Crew

Member #1325

My Corvette(s)
2k c5 coupe

The headers were professionally installed by Ragin Racing & were routed well away from the piping. I have a lift in my garage & checked this wiring initially. No melted wiring . I have traced the wires up to the firewall. All good up to there.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmech View Post
The headers were professionally installed by Ragin Racing & were routed well away from the piping. I have a lift in my garage & checked this wiring initially. No melted wiring . I have traced the wires up to the firewall. All good up to there.
Well then my man, it sounds like you need a diagram and a lab scope. Those wires do not pass through the firewall that is just where they join the main engine harness at. They lead to the Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module(EBTCM) that is mounted to the side of the Hydraulic Control Unit(HCU) and the assembly mounts directly in front of the alternator and power steering pump on your car. A DVOM or multimeter might help you isolate continuity or look for a short but if you hope to check signal integrity or look at a waveform in any meaningful way then you will need a lab scope.

There is a sub harness that runs along the lower control arm and connects the hub bearing assembly you replaced to the main harness. Sometimes this harness can fall out of the control arm and the length of it that hangs down just a little can chaff and rub through. We have observed this also. Past that you can look for the green corrosion in the connectors on both sides of that sub harness and the big connector at the EBTCM. these should be the only connections between the sensor and controller.
autowiz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in