HERE IT IS - STILL UPDATED DAILY - Please Keep checking 1st Post - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 07-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #31
Mussel Kar
DC Crew

Member #59687

I am planning on driving my GT3 RS to my local Chevy dealer to stick it in his face. Yeah, want him to know I am serious. Maybe I should have left the OPR on it, maybe car numbers will do. Hoping the C8 will hunt down GT3s on the track. Spec shows it as a bit porky, but more torque. Does torque really win races? Or just move the wall farther when you hit it?
Anyway, adjusting from ass end pendulum car to mid engine car is nothing new to me. Both have serious merits. F'n cars with engine in front? WTF with that?
Mussel Kar is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2007 GT3 RS Redline at 8400
2018 GT3 6 speed
2019 GT3 RS Lizard Green
2 2016 GT4s, 2015 GT3, 2018 GT3 PDK, Mclaren 570S gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 04:32 AM   #32
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Will do, but the downside of updating only Post number 1 is that editing the post and updating doesn't move the thread to the top. I'll keep posting and deleting 'TTT posts. About 1200 hits so people ARE checking the thread.
We're thinking alike. When I said update I was thinking with a new post not changing post #1
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
The Following User Says Thank You to The Torch For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #33
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

It will be interesting to hear peopleís thoughts on increased repair costs and the likely lack of available qualified GM techs when these cars are out of warranty.

Iím not very impressed with it.... Iím not a fan of mid-engine and certainly unhappy with the lack of a true manual. I donít care how much faster it shifts, how much better it performs, or how advanced the new tranny is..... I want a manual.
Poncherello is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Ain't THAT the mofo truth
The Following User Says Thank You to Poncherello For This Useful Post:
KennyGS (07-26-2019)

Old 07-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #34
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
It will be interesting to hear peopleís thoughts on increased repair costs and the likely lack of available qualified GM techs when these cars are out of warranty.
Other than the DCT, what different about C8 repair requirements/knowledge from the C7?

Nothing much different from ANY other new car today. So many control modules on the new cars that in most cases, the dealer is your only choice anyway.

My parents had a 2002 Cad that continually flashed a brake/suspension warning and they tried 5 different useless mechanics before taking it back to the dealer to pay the $$$ to get it fixed once and for all.

GM is training their Dealer Mechanics in C8 service. Routine Services like tuneup, oil change, brakes are all readily accessible (no engine pulling). The engine itself is just a variant of the LT1, but with a better dry sump system. The DCT is a Tremic built unit and they have a good reputation. Like the C7, certain repairs will require dropping the sub frame unit.

The C8 has some systems that are unique today but will be on every GM car by 2023 (per GM statements) so a LOT of mechanics will be versed on maintenance and repair of those systems. Many things about the C8 are more simple than the C7. The Brake control unit is also the master cylinder, the power brake and vacuum, and ABS units are all one unit now.

None of us have a crystal ball, but I don't see why the C8 maintenance and repair costs should be any different than a C7.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #35
Night Stalker
DC Crew

Member #170809

My Corvette(s)
93 Ruby Aniv roadster/6spd

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...-coast-reveal/

You can lift the front end up 2" to avoid spoiler damage.
Im not going to the reveal.Im doing brake pads on the 93 Saturday.
Night Stalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Currently 93 Ruby 40th Aniv Drop Top/6-Spd

previous 58,68,70,76,78,85,90
Member #34506
Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #36
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...-coast-reveal/

You can lift the front end up 2" to avoid spoiler damage.
I already covered this in the first post. Very, Very cool feature that would especially be helpful to me. I live on a hill and my lower air deflector drags every time in and out of my driveway. Everyone winces when they hear it because it sounds even worse than the wear on the edge.
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:55 AM   #37
Night Stalker
DC Crew

Member #170809

My Corvette(s)

My bad,I thought I read thru all the posts before I threw that in.

Member #34506
The Following User Says Thank You to Night Stalker For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 03:21 AM   #38
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
My bad,I thought I read thru all the posts before I threw that in.
No problem at all. Didn't mean to discourage you from making me aware of something I might have missed. But please do keep in mind that I am still adding new stuff daily because we keep getting more on the net.

Not much in the way of new GM info - they are staying tight lipped - but as we see more C8s being shown around the country and now "naked" on the streets, I'm adding pics to try to show what the colors look like outside. If you look at the two vids of the Elkhart Blue, one is inside the show room and the other outside at dusk and it almost looks like two different colors.

One other tid bit that is circulating but no verified at all, is a supposed leak that GM is seriously considering at least part of Bob Lutz Corvette SUV idea. Lutz suggested a $100k SUV which I think is un-corvette-like more for the price than for the fact that we're talking about an SUV. IMO GM should expand Corvette into at least a sub-division of Chevy with multiple Corvette models.

One benefit would be higher sales volumes would justify dedicated Corvette only mechanics for the Corvette models so that we don't some 18 year old 2nd day kid messing with our Vettes. The benefit to GM is obvious. SUVs have NOT watered down the Porsche 911 any more than the Boxster did. They made Porsche stronger and healthier and the same would be true for an expanded Corvette line, IMO.

There's a rendering that has been accompanying the publication of this rumor, but it is NOT GM's. It looks to me like a C8 fascia grafted onto a cad XT5 with a lower slanting hood - that I cannot imagine would be possible.

Value of the rumor? Unknown, but I will say that this same rumor popped up back when the C6 and again when the C7 were introduced. So there is a good chance that this is just idle speculation. On the other hand, the number of GM sedan/coupe sales have been on a steady decline while SUV sales keep increasing, so a Vette SUV is not as risky as in the past. FWIW
Old 07-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #39
mongo
DC Crew

Member #4304

My Corvette(s)
2006 C6, Mont Red/Titanium, F55, MN6, NAV

I attended a concours event today in Plymouth, MI and was pleasantly surprised to find what I suspect is the C8 Mobile Tour. It was a mobile room, maybe 25í square that had a white C8 outside, a red C8 inside, an LT2 engine, a cutaway transmission and several static displays of the wheels, steering wheel, colors, seats and more. The car is gorgeous in person and IMHO still looks like a Corvette. The top was off and stuck in the open trunk. Looks like plenty of room in the very attractive interior. I saw nothing to change my mind about this car. I want it and plan to get one in its second year. Museum delivery like last time.
mongo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mongo For This Useful Post:
HN376RAR (07-28-2019), Longtimer (07-28-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #40
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

OK, THIS is fun - Ferrari guys' site chat about the C8

Surprising comments on a Ferrari page:

Quote:
I really like the price/performance, I think it looks great from side or front 3/4, it's a proper mid-engine exotic looking car with real performance for ~$60-70K new and there is nothing remotely like that on the marketplace. Think about what $60K buys you otherwise - a cheapo BMW or a 4 cylinder base Boxster with no options and a really friendly dealer (maybe!)
Quote:
Helluva combo of performance/price/looks.. I've never really been a Corvette guy, but what Chevy put out is undeniably cool. The Acura NSX and Audi R8 are already on shaky ground.. This will probably put those two out of production. It's nice they're keeping at least the base model NA. In a couple years you'll be able to get decently configured, well-kept used cars in the low $60s.. Probably even $50s. Crazy value.
Quote:
Best part, this car will be driven, a lot, no one will be afraid to use it daily, track it, no one will be afraid of horrendous depreciation for any mileage over a 1000 miles and no one will be afraid of having the car "sale proof" and worth 50% less because Carfax showed a "Damage" history, regardless if it was just a bumper replacement.
Ferrari owners (at least a majority of them so don't get your own panties twisted) will continue to look down at the new Corvette, while their Ferraris will continue to sit in their heated garages for fear of all of the above.
Quote:
Quote:
mikelfrance said: ↑
The engine is almost twice the size of a 488. This car must be really heavy but geared really low in 1-2.
Not really. The simple, single cam-in-block, two valve per cylinder design, no turbos and all associated plumbing, and fluids, etc...

I'm sure the engine in the Vette is lighter than the complete engine in the 488. And probably alot more reliable and simpler to maintain. It's still a small block chevy at the end of the day.
Quote:
I think it looks pretty good and the price / performance is incredible! The interior is a nice update. I think linking it with the moon landing is smart marketing. Most cars try to play to national strengths. Overall I am very impressed and say way to go Chevrolet!
Quote:
"The new Corvette can be programmed to automatically lift its nose when, say, approaching your driveway or that pesky speed bump at the grocery store."

That's one of those "why didn't I think of that moments"...
I read 3 pages on that site and other than one lame comment about the displacement versus a 488 (that was then attacked by the comment above), all the comments were positive. I am shocked.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #41
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Good plug for DC on FB. I gave it a link for you
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
The Following User Says Thank You to The Torch For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (07-29-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 01:49 AM   #42
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Ttt
Old 08-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #43
Night Stalker
DC Crew

Member #170809

My Corvette(s)

Stoplight action

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...t-turns-green/

Member #34506
The Following User Says Thank You to Night Stalker For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #44
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Still a short patch in 1st gear but I didn't hear a chirp as it shifted to 2nd. Will miss that, but your not building speed when spinning the tires.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #45
Night Stalker
DC Crew

Member #170809

My Corvette(s)

Might of been some water from AC,Trans Fluid,Oil on the tires from the Motor City streets.

Member #34506
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in