C8 Spy Pics - Finally Surfaced - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 06-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

C8 Spy Pics - Finally Surfaced

The new rear-mid is being tested at GM proving grounds...

Bunch more pics...
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/27/m...#slide-3962547
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

I don't like the tail lights
Poncherello is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Ain't THAT the mofo truth
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poncherello For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (06-28-2016), yukonz51 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

The C8 rear mid will very likely be significantly more expensive than the C7. To compete at that marketplace level, expect to see a new world class exterior design - less boy racer and more exotic. Hopefully a rear end that looks nothing like the C7.
(including multi cam) and power trains are interesting. Rear mid is a HUGE change they are asking the Corvette world to accept. I doubt they would risk further offense by excluding a V8 at intro. The question is, what multi cam engine would make sense? Keeping the current LT1 would provide 460HP in base form. Placed behind the driver, more of those hores will hook up and move the vette to 60 quicker.

However, the highest HP multicam engine in GM's arsenal, of which I am aware, is the 420HP TT V6. That engine would only make sense if there was another ~150 HP from electric motors up front.
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #4
OldVetteFan
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

Member #23592

My Corvette(s)
65 Coupe (Sold) 95 Blk Coupe (Gold Cert - Sold) 2011 Grand Sport

I hope they don't call it a Corvette or a StingRay. Call it something else, and I hope it sells well, but for the vast majority of buyers, pushing the purchasing price to supercar levels simply means there will be significantly fewer buyers.

Continue developing a competitively priced sports car for the masses, and the masses will buy it.

I don't want to give up all things that I love about the C6 - the combination of performance, luxury, and capability - so I can have a car that performs marginally better than the one I have.

Reminder to GM: New Coke...

Steven
OldVetteFan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If energy and enthusiasm were a substitute for experience and expertise, then I could hire my 12 year old to do this job.

NCM Club Ambassador
Master Ambassador - 2009
Old 06-28-2016, 06:14 AM   #5
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2002 Z06, 1977 custom Past: 1985 Z51 Coupe

I agree Steven. If this midengine is real (I'll believe it when it's on showroom floors), then it'll be beyond the reach of most current Corvette buyers. One article said in the realm of $400k (like the Ford GT).

Chevy needs to keep the standard layout and keep it priced as it is. That keeps both new and used buyers happy (I bought an 02 Z06 for under $20k). They can make this halo car and go kill the exotics on the track as a side project. (Even though the current C7R does quite well beating up on cars 3x it's price now, in its mid-front configuration.)

Funny thing is I hear lots of guys clamoring for a mid engine, without understanding the sacrifice of interior space, storage space, cost to buy and cost to maintain/service. The Corvette owners I know want all those things to be reasonable and they're satisfied with base HP...and REALLY satisfied with current Z06 HP.

It needs to be called the Zora. I believe he always wanted one laid out like this.

Time will tell.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Bella" - 2002 Z06 - Carrying on family tradition of Corvette ownership.

"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned. Gone but never forgotten.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Cargo capacity for today's rear-mid Boxster - probably a much smaller car than the rear mid Vette will be - is 9.7 Cu Ft. Today's C7 is down significantly from the C6 and is only 15CF in the coupe and (apples to apples>) 10 Cu Ft for the C7 vert. Not much different.

However, the Boxster uses front and rear compartments - neither of which accommodate a set of golf clubs, if that is an issue for you. No idea, of course, what arrangement the C8 will have.

Pricing probability, I think it depends on volume target, but I seriously doubt any amount over $200k even if it is only a limited production car. If, as some speculation suggests, the rear-mid becomes the only vette chassis, I think they will place a higher priority on utility (cargo) while pricing it in the $59k - $120k range bare bones to Z06 equivalent. Boxsters are now at $52-$82.

What are the new, unique costs for rear mid?
Why so "low" for a rear mid? Today's vette chassis is very unique. No parts are shared with Camaro or Cad. Only the engines and some transmission and differential pieces are shared. Unique is unique. Doesn't matter if it's front mid or rearmid. The components shared with Camaro and Cad can be rearranged for an effective rearmid, while not significantly increasing the cost of the parts, if at all. Keep in mind that the tranny is currently in the rear with the diff - unique.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Likely that all Vettes will be rear mid - Current Tooling Investment

Applying Largest Unique Cost
The biggest single cost of a Rear Mid is the tooling at BG, which is already being re-vamped. The latest number that I have seen is $290MILLION in modifications to BG currently following $439M to BG last year - last year was ostensibly for an upgraded paint room + "other" stuff.

Even if we had no pics of a rear mid in development, this is the biggest proof that a BIG change is coming. Tooling cost for the the change from C6 to C7 was ~$79M. They also added a $52M Aluminum frame manufacturing unit at that time, but now that it is in place, it just needs updates going forward for any type of frame.

IF this investment is mostly or all for rear mid tooling, the numbers indicate the likelihood that all vettes will be rear mid. A total of 4684 C6 ZR1 were produced from '09-'13. If we assume a 5k unit production run of rear mid (both front and rear mid sold side by side), the tooling cost per unit is $87,800. Parts unique to the rear mid would be very costly if the economic order quantity is only 5,000 units. Still, an ~$200k price tag wouldn't be too unreasonable - just not a lot of profit built in. Got to amortize the engineering and baseline factory costs too.

So, the $439M is a huge tie up of capital for only 5000 halo units when the Z06 is a pretty good performer. But if we assume all vettes will eventually be rear mid, a production of 30,000 units per year for 5 years (all Vettes sold), that's only $2,927 / Vette sold - a much better business case and far less of a price impact that most of us have assumed. Plus it is likely that some of that $439M tooling would remain in place for future generations of the Rearmid (less amortization per unit and less price impact). Still have to add in those engineering and factory costs, but those are (mostly) part of the price building in existing models. The number of units is the key impact - obviously.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
fyreline
DC Crew

Member #37720

My Corvette(s)
1962 327/300hp, 2014 Premiere Edition convertible, 1959 Yard-Man Corvette go-kart

All of the usual auto journalists, in their never-ending quest to sell magazines and/or their web sites, have yet again cranked up the age-old "IS THIS THE NEXT CORVETTE?" furor. They are all over the place on what the fuzzy photos of the featured car represents, but it may cost anything from 70K to 400K (yikes!), may or not feature a hybrid powertrain, and in fact may or may not even be a Corvette (Some claim it will be a Cadillac).

Time will tell, of course. Yes, there are apparently running prototypes of a rear-mid-engine car. It is real - or eventually will be. I have said all along that I would believe it when I see it . . . OK, I've seen it (well, sort of). It does exist.

I just don't know exactly what it is I've seen yet - and neither do you. And you know what? Neither do all those auto journalists. In spite of all their hype, they are as clueless as we are. But, they have product to sell. All will be revealed in the fullness of time. Personally, I'm in no hurry. Sounds like I won't be the target market for this new car, whatever it turns out to be. Glad I kept the C6 convertible instead of trading it, and even gladder I have the 1962.

Stay tuned. We'll all find out together. And yeah, the taillights suck.

fyreline is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"You are entitled to your own opinion - you are NOT entitled to your own facts".
Old 06-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreline View Post
Time will tell, of course. Yes, there are apparently running prototypes of a rear-mid-engine car. It is real - or eventually will be. I have said all along that I would believe it when I see it . . . OK, I've seen it (well, sort of). It does exist.n fact may or may not even be a Corvette
Of course you are right; it could be a Cadillac, but two things are pretty certain: 1) It will be VERY different from the C7 2) It will be built at Bowling Green.

Third is less certain: The amount of money they are spending at BG seems more likely to be for an annual volume like Corvette, not a Cadillac.

ALSO, would GM EVER be willing to slap a non-vette nameplate on any other GM car that could out-perform all Corvettes? I seriously doubt it.

That would leave it either a Corvette, or an i8 type car that doesn't perform to Corvette levels. A possibility, but REALLY expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in