Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

NEW!! C8 Spy Pics

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Longtimer 
#1 ·
From Car & Driver:
  • The C8 is code named "Zerv" (likely short for Zora's Cerv - see all of the Cervs in the stickys above)
  • Debut at the NAIAS in January 2018. (We've been lied to about debuts recently)
  • Production begins later next year or early 2019. (Seems to support the scenario of two separate production lines using one paint center. The C8 to be produced in the new section of the plant, resulting in about ZERO impact on C7 and future(?) volume capability)
  • Later a Corvette E-Ray that is speculated to be a hybrid, not all electric.
  • Tremec will supply 7 speed dual clutch "automatic"
  • Will "offer a choice of a solid roof, a lift-off top as on today’s C7, or a glass roof." (You interpret this quote, I am NOT responsible for C&D's poor sentence structure.)
  • Through the camouflage, we can discern the outline of the large rear glass under which sits the small-block V-8.
  • Conventional opening doors, not gullwing (Targa top = duh) or scissors.
  • At introduction, expect ~ 500 HP from some variant of an LT OHV engine. Within a year, expect that to be "upgraded" to a DOHC V-8.

See all 10 images:
http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/latest-spy-pics-of-mid-engined-2019-c8-corvette-best-view-yet-of-cabin-and-overall-proportions-gallery#1

See less See more
#2 ·
A reminder of something we KNOW that C&D did not mention.

The biggest omission, IMO, is the fact that Pratt-Miller Racing - yes the teams that have made Corvettes feared from LeMans to Laguna Seca - has been making all of the panels for the C8 Prototypes. So what? Every panel on the vettes P-M races, is made of Carbon fiber so the Production C8 will likely have all CF panels. By using P-M CF, the testing on the Protos is realistic (CF panels) with information leaks VERY unlikely because P-M is accustomed to being a "skunk works" facility.

That said, they could also be building in lots of false shapes to throw us off of the real look of the production panels. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it IS what I would do if I were head of the C8 design team.

BTW, knowing the actual C8 design also gives P-M a head start on testing the aerodynamics THEY will need on the race track
when they start racing the C8 - likely starting at the 2019 Lemans....unless they can get some kind of waiver to run in 2018 after debut, but prior to shipment of customer cars.

#3 ·
...unless they can get some kind of waiver to run in 2018 after debut, but prior to shipment of customer cars.

Win on Sunday > Sell on Monday

#5 ·
Yes, but chances are greater for a 2019 LeMans C8 debut, than 2018. As cool as it would be to see a C8.R start with three "C7.Rs", I doubt GM would allow the C8 to race until they were confident that it had a good chance of winning.

A LOT is being gambled on the C8. IMO, GM will see the need to establish the C8 as the most superior performing Corvette...ever. Yes, there might be very few parts in common between the C8.R and the production C8 (as has always been the case), but to the public, they are the same...as has been the case with all of LeMans winning Vettes.

If the C8 races in 2018, the C7 won't, IMO.

Reactions: stinger430
#6 ·
Well Longtimer .I borowed your spy link & threw it up on another Forum. Had a few guys said it looked like a 1st gen Acura NSX :lookinup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.