Mid-Engined Corvette Spy Photos - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #46
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post

You think he was inspired by this?

LT, even though you're a moderator on here I was very tempted to click "Report this Image" for these two photos....lol. Just kidding.

Is it too early to start a C8 section? It is, isn't it
stinger430 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #47
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

I'm not sure, but do I keep seeing a new Sonota or maybe a Fusion in your second pic?
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #48
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

I placed a link to this thread in the moderator's section and requested a ne C8 section. I stated there that I don't think it is fair to the C7 Folks to have C8 discussions in their section.

I haven't gotten any feedback from the bosses yet.

At the risk of sounding needy, if you guys want to start a C8 section and move this thread into it, let us know by either liking this post or posting that you want a C8 section.

I'll pass the number of positive responses along to the top mucky muck and let the numbers influence the decision.

...or not if you guys think it is too soon.
In the past, once we start getting spy shots - even of mules - the information base starts to heat up. FWIW
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
BJC99Hardtop (01-20-2015), PNHNDLE96CE (01-20-2015), stinger430 (01-20-2015)

Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #49
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
I'm not sure, but do I keep seeing a new Sonota or maybe a Fusion in your second pic?
The bangal butt is pretty much gone in the second pic. In fact I think - maybe you were saying this - that Bangal let the Sonata influence his 2015 7 series.

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #50
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Back on Topic the C8 ... naaah

The new Mali-vette with round taillights

Damn if that isn't a pontiac logo in the middle of the rear wheel. Maybe this really is the SS?!!??

But the cabin seems to clearly be Malibu

OH, look at the width of the rear tire versus the front. RWD = SS ... or more of a cammo trick?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #51
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

I for one think we should start a C8 Section and let strictly C7 stuff be posted here. As you indicated, it's only fair to the C7 guys.

Hopefully more spy pics will surface soon to justify having new section.

I also always look forward to the renderings
Old 01-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #52
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

I have mixed feelings about renderings. The early SWAG renderings are distracting and can become irritating. They sell magazines but have zero chance of looking like the production car. There are lots of guys out there with talent and the time to put their ideas into a rendering, but those are not GM's ideas. And if we like them we start to build our hopes and expectations upon a look that won't happen.

For example, here is the C&D very smooth and very clean (maybe too much so) C8 rendering that includes 4 big , round taillights (wow! where did they get that idea!!). Do you really think this would come out of Welburn's studio?

Old 01-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #53
BLK 1

Member #66549

My Corvette(s)
17 Z51 13 427 04 6M vert 17 WRX

I'm trying to figure out where to put a C7. I need a bigger garage. I'll have to trade one of my 04's down the line. I am shocked how quick the magnetic red one is being an auto. I bought it 2 months ago with 40K miles for my DD. It has the perf. gears and it kina hauls ass. Very impressed so far! Don't worry LT. there is no way I'm selling the 427 vert. It has 550 miles now.
Here is a phone pic I took 10 min ago, very sunny here so its not good.

BLK 1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #54
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

You got some great looking cars there - and sun!

I'm jealous. It's ~10:00 AM here and we STILL have fog - a lot of it. Unusual in So Cal. Oh, we have fog occasionally, but it's usually burned off well before 10. I'm sure it'll be gone before Lunch! It was top down / targa off weather this last weekend!
Old 01-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #55
djsroknrol
DC Crew

Member #114747

My Corvette(s)
1984 L83/MD8 red coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
First thought after seeing the photo?

El Camino has returned!
Same here....I've seen enough drawings of them and the stories of the Holden/El Camino coming soon?, well, they're just that.....until I saw those spy shots.

It looks like anything but a mid-engine 'vette
djsroknrol is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
This Vette was a long time comin'....

MY BLOG - MY OTHER LOVE

....And remember, there's no place like /~
Old 01-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #56
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsroknrol View Post
It looks like anything but a mid-engine 'vette
No offense, but that's kinda the point > Cammo. But your right, that is definitely a dry sump engine that is tucked down low behind the cabin to keep that rear profile low. Great center of gravity.

Word is, that under the Holden Ute rear, the C7 midsection and the shortened Holden front, sits the C7 Al frame. Somehow, they designed the frame to be able to accept different cradles for front and rear while enabling the cabin to move forward. That might help explain why they did away with the one piece Hydro-formed Rails - so they could do some massaging with the wheel base (?).

...or "word" is wrong.

The frame looks easy to extend in the back. Bet it's just as easy to shorten up front.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #57
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
I have mixed feelings about renderings. The early SWAG renderings are distracting and can become irritating....... There are lots of guys out there with talent and the time to put their ideas into a rendering, but those are not GM's ideas. And if we like them we start to build our hopes and expectations upon a look that won't happen.

I totally get your meaning, but I for one has never expected ANY magazine to guess correctly at what a next Gen Vette will look like. In my 42 years of existance I've never seen it happen. They even generalize the "facts" about an imminent generation: "more power, better handling, more options, new tech". What I do love seeing is another fan's take on what they think the next Vette will look like. All in good fun , that's all. Sort of like the wish lists that's happened on this forum and others before.

An aside: on the other forum a question was posted last year to owners of C7s asking them what they would add/change about their sportscars. An incredibly large percentage of respondants said "power operated trunk" !!!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #58
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

C7 was leaked/rendered pretty early and was spot on.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #59
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Yes, very likely a C7 supplier worker leaked it to Jalopnik and Patrick's connections had already shown it to him so he confirmed it. But it wasn't until MUCH later that the other leaks came. You will recall that close to the release there was a supplier SNAFU that posted the molds for the front and rear fascia on their website. There were also CAD-type engineering drawings leaked from (if you believe the story) a very big Vette dealer. We have been told that GM immediately tightened their supplier agreements, among other security steps, to try to prevent a repeat. The vast majority of the pre-release C7 spy pics were C6 bodied.

Regardless, there will be C8 leaks at some point. There are too many suppliers and not all employees remain happy and employed by them ... and some just desire the attention that providing a leak gets them. Other than the HUGE leak of the design to Jalopnik more than a year before the release of the C7, there were by far, fewer individual leaks than we saw with the C6 - and fewer spy shots. Those we did get, had MUCH more cammo, than we saw with the C6.

Our earliest insights for the C6 came from suppliers. We saw a full size buck of the C6 that was at a supplier who was working on the spoilers and skirts for the Z06 BEFORE the base model was released. But we also saw close, clear spy shots of multiple C6s that had little more than tape hiding details as cammo.

BTW, for a 2017 release GM is probably close to wrapping up the design, if they haven't already - possibly still working in the wind tunnel on some of the fine points, but more likely only on the aero assists (spoilers). Chassis suppliers should have been working on and providing many "pre production" parts that are already on the mule.

Body panel suppliers? IMO, all of the panels will be CF so I'm guessing a single supplier (much easier to control security) who already has the design and is working on the molds and whatever is needed for the newest CF production techinics.

Regardless, GM will run mules to work out as many issues as possible in order to avoid exposure of the design.

TWO BIG differences for the C8 development that weren't around for the past generations:

Drone Copters
GoPro

You and I could by a $75 drone copter and strap a GoPro to it and get the pics we see of the C8 mule here. The trick is knowing where the C8 will be, so expect lots more high angle pics at the Lutz-ring and eventually at the Nürburgring.

BTW, Ford seemed to have done a very good job of keeping the new Ford GT design hidden. Admittedly, I haven't combed the net a lot for the FORD, but I couldn't find any spy shots of the car.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #60
BLK 1

Member #66549

My Corvette(s)
17 Z51 13 427 04 6M vert 17 WRX

Man the GT is hot! This video clip you hear it running. First Ford I have ever really liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMD3Vu3xL-c
BLK 1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in