If you like your internet -You can keep your internet - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
vfpreacher

Member #132394

If you like your internet -You can keep your internet

FCC Approves 'Net Neutrality' Regulations

If you like what Obamacare has done to health care, you are going to love what the Federal Communications Commission is about to do to the internet.

The FCC voted by a slim 3-2 margin Thursday to pass new "net neutrality" regulations that give the federal government unprecedented control over how the internet is managed.

Just as Obamacare was supposed to make health care cheaper for all Americans, net neutrality is supposed to guarantee "free and open access to the internet," according to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler.

Wheeler's new regulations essentially turn internet service providers into public utilities the same way Obamacare turned health insurance companies into heavily regulated wards of the state. And just as Obamacare has expanded paper health coverage to millions of Americans, while making it much harder for most people to actually see a doctor, net neutrality will also bring uncertainty and stagnation to the internet in the name of providing equal access to all.

Technology entrepreneur and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban recently explained his opposition to net neutrality regulations to The Washington Post:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ... Things have worked well. There is no better platform in the world to start a new business than the Internet in the United States. ... I want there to be fast lanes because there will be applications that need fast lanes. We are just now entering a period where we are seeing new ways to create and use high bitrate applications.

People like to use movies and TV shows as a reference to issues that could occur on the Internet. [But] the real issue is that there will be many applications that we can't foresee today. [And] we need those applications to not just have priority, but guaranteed quality of service.

I want certain medical apps that need the Internet to be able to get the bandwidth they need. There will be apps that doctors will carry on 5G networks that allow them to get live video from accident scenes and provide guidance. There will be machine vision apps that usage huge amounts of bandwidth. I want them to have fast lanes.
You can read the Mercatus Centers' 5 Myths About Net Neutrality here and The Heritage Foundation's 8 Myths About Net Neutrality here.

Also like Obamacare, the FCC is expected to be sued almost immediately, causing uncertainty in the industry for years. Already in 2014, a federal court struck down a 2010 FCC regulation on this same issue.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/conncar...tions-n1962931
vfpreacher is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
tilley88
DC Crew

Member #67216

My Corvette(s)
Frankenvette/95/85

You got a problem with bigger government mister?
tilley88 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Frankenvette
Old 02-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanked 1,124 Times in 810 Posts
They found one little tiny niche that the government wasn't taxing and decided to grab onto it while King Obama was still there. Don't believe their lie that this is to protect the little guy. This is to gain control, and you can bank on it, there is a 100% chance they will eventually tax you every month for the privilege of having internet access.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Texdentist For This Useful Post:
matchframe (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
tilley88
DC Crew

Member #67216

My Corvette(s)
Frankenvette/95/85

It's also a privacy grab...............
tilley88 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Frankenvette
Old 02-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
chopper2585
DC Crew

Member #121522

My Corvette(s)
1965 Malibu SS, 2017 Ducati 959 Panigale

Internet service is already taxed. Yes, cable packaging, which no one seems to like, is a popular example. I guess consumer demand doesn't actually sway companies. Cuban is right, it ain't broke, so why does he agree with changing it? These rules work to keep it how it is. I'm interested to see what it all says. And he's also wrong about other applications:

"Wheeler's proposal reclassifies ISPs, including wireless data providers, as public utilities, like phone companies, that are subject to a set of regulations that ensure all consumers get fair access to their services. ISPs would be banned from paid prioritization deals, though they can set aside fast lanes for some exceptions, including public services, like remote heart monitoring."

Maybe for once you guys can refrain from defaulting to people making stupid Obamacare comparisons and scorched earth government takeover BS and wait for the actual rules to come out, read them, and make your own opinions based on things other than scare tactics.
chopper2585 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to chopper2585 For This Useful Post:
dhedtke (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
Vette_Newb
Account Disabled.

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

One thing you know, the little guy is getting the screws..

No doubt in my mind.

Vette_Newb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Vette_Newb For This Useful Post:
Red Rocket (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
One thing you know, the little guy is getting the screws..

No doubt in my mind.
We knew this would be bad. Otherwise why the need for the gag order. 300 pages were change after the public viewing for debate.
Upheval is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #8
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Thanked 1,124 Times in 810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper2585 View Post
Internet service is already taxed. Yes, cable packaging, which no one seems to like, is a popular example. I guess consumer demand doesn't actually sway companies. Cuban is right, it ain't broke, so why does he agree with changing it? These rules work to keep it how it is. I'm interested to see what it all says. And he's also wrong about other applications:

"Wheeler's proposal reclassifies ISPs, including wireless data providers, as public utilities, like phone companies, that are subject to a set of regulations that ensure all consumers get fair access to their services. ISPs would be banned from paid prioritization deals, though they can set aside fast lanes for some exceptions, including public services, like remote heart monitoring."

Maybe for once you guys can refrain from defaulting to people making stupid Obamacare comparisons and scorched earth government takeover BS and wait for the actual rules to come out, read them, and make your own opinions based on things other than scare tactics.
This has been debated for the past few years. There won't be any surprises. There never has been a problem with big guys vs. little guys when it comes to bandwidth. This is a power grab using a hypothetical problem as it's rationale. Here is the way I look at it. Ever since the internet started, we have been warned that bandwidth would run out. Internet brownouts were predicted 15 years ago. The new application of audio and video streaming was going to eat up all the bandwidth and there would be complete logjam with no one being able to do anything. Guess what? Engineers and technology kept increasing bandwith to stay ahead of demand. This will continue, and in the mean time what we and businesses can do and how we do it will be dictated by leftists. Why on earth are you OK with Washington apparatchiks running every nook and cranny of your life? And why do you trust their motives more than the people running the internet? One may want profit, but the other wants power. I trust the capitalist more than I trust the politician. At least I get somehing in return for what I give the capitalist.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
Vette_Newb
Account Disabled.

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Hopefully the courts will slap these unelected assholes down once again.

Vette_Newb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
Junkman2008
DC Crew

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

There's another part of this little preceding that isn't being discussed here. Companies like Netflix was lobbying against this bill because they wanted to be able to regulate a larger share of the Internet while bumping regular users like everyone reading this to a slower back road. Had this gone through, you and I would not have been able to access the super-dooper highway unless we paid big corporation prices. That would have lead to slower Internet service for Joe Blow.

Who wanted that?
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
vfpreacher

Member #132394

Netflix was lobbying for the bills passage -and reduced speeds will be left for the government to decide... rather then the free market.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #12
dhedtke
DC Crew

Member #13604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
They found one little tiny niche that the government wasn't taxing and decided to grab onto it while King Obama was still there. Don't believe their lie that this is to protect the little guy. This is to gain control, and you can bank on it, there is a 100% chance they will eventually tax you every month for the privilege of having internet access.
All of that will go away including Obama care when the next republican is in the White House in 2016.
dhedtke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
vfpreacher

Member #132394

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper2585 View Post
But -that stuff is actually happening. Hoping it won't this time, should be the thing we refrain from.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #14
dhedtke
DC Crew

Member #13604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
There's another part of this little preceding that isn't being discussed here. Companies like Netflix was lobbying against this bill because they wanted to be able to regulate a larger share of the Internet while bumping regular users like everyone reading this to a slower back road. Had this gone through, you and I would not have been able to access the super-dooper highway unless we paid big corporation prices. That would have lead to slower Internet service for Joe Blow.

Who wanted that?
Good question. Left alone the alternative might not be what some think it would end up being.
This was going to happen sooner than later with all of the players involved.
dhedtke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #15
rottnrog
DC Crew

Member #21788

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe- Sold now drive Cadillac CTS-V (4 door Vette)

It seems like the some of you don't understand things.

Without net neutrality the providers could charge services like Netflix and Ebay and Amazon and the like to get faster speed than every one else. That would hurt the rest of the internet sites who couldn't afford to pay providers, and would also slow them down because high payers were getting all the bandwidth.
rottnrog is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Why is it easier to be a conservative than a liberal? Because it is easier to give a man the finger than a helping hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in