Probable BIG changes in store for the C8.R (vs past .R) - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 AM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Probable BIG changes in store for the C8.R (vs past .R)

The organizers of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, are working with manufacturers on a new set of rules for the top class in the FIA World Endurance Championship. The number of manufacturers competing in the LMP1 class is decreasing due to the costs to compete.

A previously floated suggestion is gaining some traction. Allow upgraded GTE cars to compete in a new Top Class currently being referenced as GTE Plus which would allow 200 more HP, greater down force plus additional other upgrades. LeMans laps would expect to be 3min 30sec versus last years' GTE Pro class laps of 3min 47sec. The new class would allow 700+ HP which is more easily attained with endurance reliability, by the use of Turbocharging, will be proposed for he 2020 LeMans. It is not known if the GTE Plus Proposal includes any changes to the GTE Pro and/or the GTE ruleset. It is still being discussed and has NOT been formally presented to the FIA and ACO (owners of LeMans) officials as of now.

The Corvette C8, it would seem, should be able to compete in either or both the GTE Pro and/or the GTE Plus Classes - depending upon any changes or limitations to the GTE Pro class.

Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
Maniacmechanic1 (04-19-2019), stinger430 (04-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 03:17 AM   #2
The Torch
DC PIT CREW BOSS

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

Time will tell
The Torch is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit
Old 04-19-2019, 03:58 AM   #3
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
The organizers of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, are working with manufacturers on a new set of rules for the top class in the FIA World Endurance Championship. The number of manufacturers competing in the LMP1 class is decreasing due to the costs to compete.

A previously floated suggestion is gaining some traction. Allow upgraded GTE cars to compete in a new Top Class currently being referenced as GTE Plus which would allow 200 more HP, greater down force plus additional other upgrades. LeMans laps would expect to be 3min 30sec versus last years' GTE Pro class laps of 3min 47sec. The new class would allow 700+ HP which is more easily attained with endurance reliability, by the use of Turbocharging, will be proposed for he 2020 LeMans. It is not known if the GTE Plus Proposal includes any changes to the GTE Pro and/or the GTE ruleset. It is still being discussed and has NOT been formally presented to the FIA and ACO (owners of LeMans) officials as of now.

The Corvette C8, it would seem, should be able to compete in either or both the GTE Pro and/or the GTE Plus Classes - depending upon any changes or limitations to the GTE Pro class.

The Corvette winning Lemans is what needs to happen.
Too bad it won't happen in 2019.

Maybe 2020 with the C8.

Drag Racing Dominates 2019.
Just to costly to compete with a Corvette any year.
Need to Run 9-seconds baseline 1/4 mile to even stand a chance No Prep Drag Racing.
Only 2 Gen Corvettes can do it somewhat easy.
C1 because it's Solid axle layout....unafordable rare Vette today.

The C4 everyone hates but me.
Any Engine and trans fits low cost.
Ditch the IRS Rear and solid axle 4-link coil over shock drag layout.
Maniacmechanic1 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
stinger430
DC Crew

Member #8212

An overall win would be GREAT! 20 years after winning the Daytona 24 too.

ManiacMechanic, I love the C4. It's not perfect but I still love it.
stinger430 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to stinger430 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport

Quote:
The number of manufacturers competing in the LMP1 class is decreasing due to the costs to compete.
Sad. Maybe the upper management and high level bean counters at these manufacturers should take less salary instead... yeah right.
KennyGS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #6
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:

I can't remember the last time Chevrolet - Corvette got involved in A Land Speed Record attempt.
Be a Great way to promote Corvette and the Coming C8.

Go For Broke....
300 , 350, 400, 450 + Mph.

Have 2,000- 5,000 HP TT HIGH BOOST .
Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGS View Post
Sad. Maybe the upper management and high level bean counters at these manufacturers should take less salary instead... yeah right.
IMO The LMP1 & 2 cars provide little more than bragging rights for the manufacturers. I really doubt if there is any "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday" impact for these cars and I'm not sure how much, if any of the technology required at this level trickles down to the Production vehicles.

You and I know that there are probably zero interchangeable parts between the .R Vettes and their production counterparts, but at least they look similar which probably has some positive impact on showroom sales.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 04-21-2019, 09:54 PM   #8
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

Quote:
IMO The LMP1 & 2 cars provide little more than bragging rights for the manufacturers. I really doubt if there is any "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday" impact for these cars and I'm not sure how much, if any of the technology required at this level trickles down to the Production vehicles.

You and I know that there are probably zero interchangeable parts between the .R Vettes and their production counterparts, but at least they look similar which probably has some positive impact on showroom sales.
The Chassis the most important part of any Racecar.
Corvette included.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthori...ter-today/amp/

Something fairly big going on with the C8 today Longtimer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in