C8 gas tank - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 05-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
vlbbz06
DC Crew

Member #26028

My Corvette(s)
2001 z06

C8 gas tank

Does anybody have any info on the gas tank? I am curious of safety issues ? am also curious how much work it will be to change the clutch, will the engine have to be removed? Also, whats the planned curbweight?
vlbbz06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
402 with ECS Paxton novi and flip drive, max
896 rwhp 796 rwtq, currently 850 rwhp and 796 tq.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll275/zr1kid/
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...rophypic-2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

You can not worry about such things till the C8 is out.

All Bets are on the C8.
It will perform Road Race.

There are Carbon Carbon Carbon clutches able to take 5000 Hp now.
Maniacmechanic1 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniacmechanic1 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Maniacmechanic1 is dead on. You are asking about details that we have zero chance of knowing until on or after debut day.

However, regarding the weight - The only inherent opportunity for reducing weight versus the C7 comes from a few POSSIBILITIES (read: MAYBEES). Assume for the sake of the following that the 'basics' in the C8 are the same weight as those of the C7. Seats, dash+components, steering wheel, assortment of airbags, tires and wheels, body+glass, engine, corner suspension assemblies.

1. No driveshaft or heavy enclosed tunnel. Even if a boxed tunnel is used to add to rigidity, it would be much shorter than the C7's and could be just a tube and possibly a Carbon Fiber tube carrying wiring harness and probably cooling fluids from a front radiator (seems likely given the large openings in front fascias).
2. IF the DSG tranny is the only choice for transmission, the clutch peddle, clutch linkage, are gone and replaced by a couple of SW paddles + wires.
3. Because the C8 frame is being designed up front with consideration for MUCH higher eventual power and with variable displacement resonation consideration, there is potential for some weight savings in the StingRay and Z06. I would guess that these two will share 95%+ of the same chassis and, if possible, the extra strength for the expected 1000 HP Zora model will be added in places the GM Cray Computer told them it is needed. IMO, there should be an opportunity for 75-100 lbs of weight savings in the frames. Keep in mind that the rear sub frame now must carry the engine, transmission, axle, suspension, and more breaking torque than in the past.
4. I'll list the body and glass, but I really don't see much opportunity there other than the use of more CF and possibly use of polycarbonate (not likely as exterior replacement for glass, but possible between cockpit and engine).
5. Will the new DSG+electronic Differential be lighter or heavier than the C7 manual trans+electronic Differential? We have no way of knowing. At this point it go either way.
6. Less exhaust tubing - only a few lbs. more than off-set by the cooling tubes and fluid going from front to rear.
7. New Fed safety requirements since the C7 2014. I have no idea if there are any, but new ones must be incorporated into the C8. Obviously, NOT a weight savings, but an addition.

One of the biggest questions, IMO, is exactly how many changes (read; added weight) will be needed to support the Zora. Building the Sting Ray and Z06 with Zora-needed heft would be wasteful, costly, and unnecessarily hurt MPG and performance.

What did I miss?
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in