Corvette's baby brother grows up.... - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Other Cars, Trucks & Cool Rides
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

Other Cars, Trucks & Cool Rides Transportation other than Corvettes...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

Talking Corvette's baby brother grows up....

This thread has been too long time in the making.
My name is Rod and I own a 2005 Cobalt SS that i hope has the chance to enjoy some friendly competition with some Corvette owners in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
.... I think the Cobalt is pretty sweet and a decent platform to play with, one question though what do you think the time frame on that little motor will be with 750 hp beating it? You really need to start a thread in our other cars section with pics and progress of your project. One of the cool things about this forum is we can appericate the bad ass no matter what form it comes in.
Good luck with your project.
I originally posted a couple of things about my Cobalt 10 months ago and I have been waiting patiently for some substantial pictures to show of my project.
When I first posted I mentioned my project, the plans were to build my car to 750whp. The project has been a very slow process and it has changed direction several times.
To achieve the 750hp mark, we are building the complete engine, with many new custom parts made specifically for the project.
I am staying with the original 4cyl, LSJ. We removed the S/C in favor of two turbos. These turbos will be run in a sequential setup. The smaller turbo, GT28-76, will be to maintain low end boost for street drivability, as my car will be my daily after work driver. The larger turbo, GT4508, is for my top end power.
The engine sits only waiting for the custom crankshaft to arrive early next week. We have over designed the engine and it will comfortably handle 1200bhp @9500rpm.
In the early part of this year the transmission became a costly venture and for a fwd car, it was more than I was wanting to spend. That was when the decision was made to go all out and convert my Cobalt to RWD. We are pairing up my engine to a T-56 with upgraded internals, including a Viper mainshaft.
I have waited months for that conversion to happen and after firing the first shop, the second shop is finally moving forward.
The shop, Distinct Images Custom Cars, is doing a complete race chassis, 4link suspension and NHRA roll cage good to 7:50. We will use different rear ends for the street (Posi) and track (spool). I have emphasiesd to all involved with the project that handling on the track as well as in the corners is a paramount concern to me. To this end I understand that I give up something and that is why I will spend time swapping parts and adjusting the suspension, depending on what surface I will be driving on.
The exterior of the car will remain as stock as possible. We will need to do a couple of alterations to accommodate engine bay cooling and turbo intake.
The interior will obviously have many changes but again, we are working to maintain the Cobalt's original look, apart from the major changes needed to accomodate the conversion. We will upgrade the interior look by wrapping all plastic with leather. We have an award winning shop handling the "show" component of the project.
As I mentioned before, I am hoping to be able to race some local Corvette owners at the BC and Alberta race tracks.
The expectations are that we should have this car on the road in March, '08.
While the following pics are showing the car far from finished, the last 3 weeks has been bringing steady progress and the next few months will see plenty of big changes.
The first picture is just to give an idea of the size of tires we are using for d/r's. The other pictures are of the frame/suspension being test fitted.

Last edited by victoryredSS; 04-27-2008 at 10:40 AM.
victoryredSS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
**Coming Soon** 05 Victory Red Cobalt SS, LSX Bowtie block, 427 CID, Wilson LS7 billet intake manifold, Brodix BP BR 7 BS 300 Heads, Crower rocker arms, Diamond pistons, Callies crankshaft and rods, Vortech V7 YSi-B, Holley Dominator EFI, RWD conversion, Rossler Terminator 6 Power glide, Ford 9", Strange suspension, SSBC brakes
Expectations *1,000+RWHP*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
KingC6
DC Crew

Member #46340

My Corvette(s)
1994 teal c4. 2011 shelby gt500

never thought id say this but thats pretty damn cool for a cobalt
KingC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingC6 View Post
never thought id say this but thats pretty damn cool for a cobalt
Thanks. That's cool to hear that from a Corvette owner.
**Coming Soon** 05 Victory Red Cobalt SS, LSX Bowtie block, 427 CID, Wilson LS7 billet intake manifold, Brodix BP BR 7 BS 300 Heads, Crower rocker arms, Diamond pistons, Callies crankshaft and rods, Vortech V7 YSi-B, Holley Dominator EFI, RWD conversion, Rossler Terminator 6 Power glide, Ford 9", Strange suspension, SSBC brakes

Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Evilways
DC Crew

Member #52175

My Corvette(s)
06 Z51 A6

Anyone who puts that kinda dedication and vision into their car gets mucho respect here
Evilways is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilways View Post
Anyone who puts that kinda dedication and vision into their car gets mucho respect here
Thanks, that much appreciated and totally different from the many Cobalt naysayers, who just tell me "you should have just bought a Corvette"
I mean I read about some of the modifications you guys are doing to your cars and it seems nothing escapes the "mod bug". There is only a different starting point.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
Dan85Vette
DC Crew

Member #9092

My Corvette(s)
'85 Vette - 383 TPI

Talk about an endeavor.

Great to see the progress pics, keep us posted on any neat things you run into along the way. Nice to see someone doing a 4-banger up right!
Dan85Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan85Vette View Post

Talk about an endeavor.

Great to see the progress pics, keep us posted on any neat things you run into along the way. Nice to see someone doing a 4-banger up right!
I have ran into a lot of things already, one being the PITA fwd was.
The other thing I learnt the hard way was that when ordering 1-off custom parts, 4-5 weeks means 4-5 months. There has been a whole lot of hurry and wait. Only the past 2 weeks has there been some serious headway been made. The shop doing the complete conversion expects the car to be ready for the next shop in 4 weeks. Before too long they will drop the car onto some wheels to show me how the ride height will look.
After the test fitting is done the parts all go for powder coating and then the fun really starts.
I was really happy to see the car cut for the conversion. I will be really happy to finally see the floor/tubs in the car.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Were you wanting the car to be RWD in the begining? I can't believe it's more cost effective to conver the car to RWD than it is to build a FWD trans. Was it a case of "for this much more it can be RWD".

Either way BAD ASS. I can't wait to see the final product. I love the looks of the Cobalt I just dislike the Fwd aspect of the car. Good luck and keep us posted.
raidmagic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05
Old 10-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Were you wanting the car to be RWD in the begining? I can't believe it's more cost effective to conver the car to RWD than it is to build a FWD trans. Was it a case of "for this much more it can be RWD".

Either way BAD ASS. I can't wait to see the final product. I love the looks of the Cobalt I just dislike the Fwd aspect of the car. Good luck and keep us posted.
The plan wasn't originally to go RWD. The problem was the expense of getting 1-off gears made for the fwd manual transmission. No one wanted to do the gears with out a larger commitment of sales.
I didn't want to convert to an auto because I love manual.
When the price of the gears came in, the company added the cost of the tooling (which they planned on keeping) and then there was going to be the shipping/duty/insurance/exchange. By the time it added up we were looking at $14,000. for the tranny. We would then have had to change the uprights/halfshafts/wheels and assorted related parts. By the time it was all said and done it was going to be close to the cost of the RWD conversion.
Then there was still going to be the need to do a sub 10 second, NHRA rollcage.
By going rwd we solved many problems. Say goodbye to the traction issues and fwd, torque steer. Also, I won't be dependant on mainly custom drivetrain parts. Most of what I am using are straight off the shelve. The parts that are custom, like the driveshaft, we are having two made so we always have a spare.
This also goes for our custom engine internals, as we are building a spare engine.
Then the biggest thrill of all is knowing that I will be powered by my rear wheels. I am 48, so I grew up with rwd and I miss it so much. I also agree that GM screwed up when they didn't put the Cobalt on a RWD platform, such as the Soltice/Sky.
As for updates, I will give them as we move forward.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Ttime

Member #43331

Cool

That's very cool . I heard that the motors in those are very well engineered.
Ttime is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime View Post
That's very cool . I heard that the motors in those are very well engineered.
Yes, all of the Ecotec's are very well engineered.
GM has chosen to leave some weak links in each motor but once those are upgraded these engines are very stout.
There are several racing crews who are running the 2.2 Ecotec at 1,400hp and those cars are running in the low 8's - high 7's.
The LSJ itself is being replaced by the LNF, which is a direct port injection, turbo charged engine. The LNF meets emissions standards where the LSJ doesn't.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
CORVETTECSIX
DC Crew

Member #63859

My Corvette(s)
Looks like an 06' Charger R/T and an 81' Chebbie C-10 for now.................

Looks like a sweet project!Keep us posted!
CORVETTECSIX is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVETTECSIX View Post
Looks like a sweet project!Keep us posted!
Thanks.

Updates will be done regularily.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:42 AM   #14
Arnie

Member #8

Cool project!

You're insane!

and that's why you fit right in here...

Keep us updated and don't forgt the pics.
Arnie is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #15
Chuck A
Only green will do...

Member #59169

My Corvette(s)
2000 , Green 6 speed vert

nice tires
Chuck A is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Thats right just GREEN will do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in