Buying a C5/C6 Corvette as DD (or every other day)? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette Forums > C6 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C6 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
Masaladosa
Account Disabled.

Member #180816

Buying a C5/C6 Corvette as DD (or every other day)?

Looking at buying a 2007 yellow coupe or 2002 red convertible as DD or about 3x week vehicle in NorCal. I like the cars and like the idea of owning one, but what should I know beforehand? I've read there is some battery issues where you should have the battery on a tender/charger - the garage at my apt complex doesn't have outlets, so not sure how that would work. Could that be an issue in the future and if so, does anyone have a suggestion to combat the problem?

Other vehicle I would be interested is a 2015+ Mustang convertible. I want a convertible (or removable top), fast car, and with decent gas mileage.

Last edited by The Torch; 01-17-2019 at 03:56 AM. Reason: edited out spam link
Masaladosa is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew

Member #176497

You want a backup car or truck.
Corvettes break down eventual.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 11:49 PM   #3
bodysurfin child
DC Crew

Member #129505

My Corvette(s)
03 all black convertible

dude, it's just a chevy. old ladies drive them every day.

Every car has a parasitic battery drain, even if it is just a dash clock. All the beeping and chirping when you hit the key fob has to come from somewhere.

I never worried about it and never had any trouble, drove it often, but not every day. Realistically, you aren't going to sell many cars if every time you come back from the airport the car won't start.

Then I started reading about how this was a big problem and to use a trickle charger without fail on a C5. Every old car is different, I believe most of charger tales, but also know in every hobby there are guys who make everything in to a complicated big deal needlessly.

So I started running a charger, it made the car act differently, the displays got erratic so I knocked off the charging. Old cars take more care and my theft control was acting up after the charger hit the scene

Get the mustang if you want to save gas, they offer a six cylinder, and a four . Plus you can haul friends, important for a young mans social life.

Is there a cruise in, or car show in your area? I know it would be a big jump if you had never owned a car, or didn't come from a car culture.

If you can find a group car gathering, you could get a better understanding of the deal, by just asking a few questions, from a variety of people who know cars well.

Any dang fool can own a car. No need to over think it. Get a cheap mustang to learn on if you are adding speed parts.

I've never owed a mustang, but feel it a more economical road car than a corvette, which is always built on the latest edge of technology.

I can make it real easy. If you have never owned a red sports car, you should correct that. You only live once. Sports cars are better, and a red one is on the team logo. Yeah a vette is more of a grand tourer, but it is close enough.
bodysurfin child is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 AM   #4
autowiz
DC Crew

Member #149514

My Corvette(s)
2000 silver/black

Spammer No Spamming!
autowiz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 03:16 AM   #5
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaladosa View Post
I've read there is some battery issues where you should have the battery on a tender/charger - the garage at my apt complex doesn't have outlets, so not sure how that would work. Could that be an issue in the future and if so, does anyone have a suggestion to combat the problem?
Yes, I would just purchase as many extensions as possible, then string them together until it reaches a plug in your apartment. I'm sure your neighbors won't mind once they see you're driving a Corvette.
KennyGS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in