New Rumor: C8 ECU Not Tunable by Aftermarket - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums
 
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette Forums > C8 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Notices

C8 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance



Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Longtimer's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,999
Member #3668
Member since: Nov 2003
Location: So Cal

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Thanks: 510
Thanked 498 Times in 358 Posts
New Rumor: C8 ECU Not Tunable by Aftermarket

'Muscle Cars And Trucks' is reporting an insider tip that the C8 will have an ECU that is blocked from being re-tuned or modified. They are saying that GM engineers have "super-encrypted" the program so that any attempt to modify it will cause the unit programming to "self-destruct." They expand on this saying that if it finds any coding that is not "as it came from the factory" it wipes the entire unit requiring re-installation of the stock coding.

But you've already thought of three or four ways to get around this haven't you? But wait there's more. Keep in mind that GM recently made an announcement that a completely new electrical system will be in ALL GM cars by 2023. The new digital system, we were told, will include the capability of receiving communications from GM. So GM could periodically trigger a self audit of the ECU as implied by the rumor.

Why would GM go to all the hassle of doing this? Probably Warranty repairs. Folks running an aggressive third-party tune, blow the engine, then restore the original tune then seek a new mill from Chevrolet under warranty will NOT be able to even run the aggressive tune - if this works.

The C6 was the first ECM that was, supposedly, not modifiable but it just took time to crack the code. The same is true for the C7 Z06 codes. But of course, the big difference is the possibility of the GM direct communication with the car.

So for what it's worth that's the rumor
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
Maniacmechanic1 (05-31-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
'Muscle Cars And Trucks' is reporting an insider tip that the C8 will have an ECU that is blocked from being re-tuned or modified. They are saying that GM engineers have "super-encrypted" the program so that any attempt to modify it will cause the unit programming to "self-destruct." They expand on this saying that if it finds any coding that is not "as it came from the factory" it wipes the entire unit requiring re-installation of the stock coding.

But you've already thought of three or four ways to get around this haven't you? But wait there's more. Keep in mind that GM recently made an announcement that a completely new electrical system will be in ALL GM cars by 2023. The new digital system, we were told, will include the capability of receiving communications from GM. So GM could periodically trigger a self audit of the ECU as implied by the rumor.

Why would GM go to all the hassle of doing this? Probably Warranty repairs. Folks running an aggressive third-party tune, blow the engine, then restore the original tune then seek a new mill from Chevrolet under warranty will NOT be able to even run the aggressive tune - if this works.

The C6 was the first ECM that was, supposedly, not modifiable but it just took time to crack the code. The same is true for the C7 Z06 codes. But of course, the big difference is the possibility of the GM direct communication with the car.

So for what it's worth that's the rumor
I find this amusing Longtimer.
Like A Dare.

Rumors of GM Ford Merger going on....
Just threaten to buy F O R D next door or D O D G E.....
Instant access In.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Your sig. has been edited by the admin. Stop now.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Longtimer's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,999
Member #3668
Member since: Nov 2003
Location: So Cal

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Thanks: 510
Thanked 498 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacmechanic1 View Post
Rumors of GM Ford Merger going on....
Just threaten to buy F O R D next door or D O D G E.....
Instant access In.
Dodge is part of Fiat and Fiat is looking into a merger with Renault. Neither of them have a foot print in China and Fiat's USA sales are dwindling. However, a Fiat/Renault merger would help them both save Billion$ to let them both live a little longer in the most competitive market in the world - Europe - that is dominated by BMW & VW. The Ram is the only bright USA light in the FCA inventory.

Ford is on the verge of big trouble. They are losing what little sales they ever had in China. They are dropping almost all of their cars except Mustang and maybe the subcompacts/electrics. Ford is waaaay behind the electric and the self driving technologies. The F-150 of course is the brightest spot in their arsenal.

GM is doing very well. They are among the leaders in the self driving and electric technologies. GM is consistently among the top 3 in China Sales. Bara has kept them lean and prospering. Opel is gone which leaves the European market to those who fight for smaller sales percentages.

Like this one, most merger/buyout talk comes from industry analysts who think this or that makes sense. However, we have seen many purchases of big car companies focused on the acquisition of a particular profitable model. Chrysler bought AMC to get Jeep. Mercedes bought Chrysler...not sure why, but flipped it as it was drowning, loosing BIG BIG $$$$ on the deal. I could go on, but the bottom line is that it is better to let a competitor die and take it's money maker with it into the grave, than to take on the entire mess of a downward spiral.

For fun, assume GM bought Ford. What happens to the Silverado and GMC? Would loyal buyers actually stay loyal to 'their brand' if they came off the same assembly line. Built in separate plants with separate engineering would defeat the purpose of the acquisition. What about Mustang and Camaro? Think there is brand loyalty for each of them?!? GM, Ford and even Chrysler learned that the ponycar market cannot support sister cars and the Cougar, Firebird and 'Cuda died to prove it.

Anything can happen, but it seems to me that in the long run GM has much more to lose buying Ford than to gain. JMHO
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
 
Old 05-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Dodge is part of Fiat and Fiat is looking into a merger with Renault. Neither of them have a foot print in China and Fiat's USA sales are dwindling. However, a Fiat/Renault merger would help them both save Billion$ to let them both live a little longer in the most competitive market in the world - Europe - that is dominated by BMW & VW. The Ram is the only bright USA light in the FCA inventory.

Ford is on the verge of big trouble. They are losing what little sales they ever had in China. They are dropping almost all of their cars except Mustang and maybe the subcompacts/electrics. Ford is waaaay behind the electric and the self driving technologies. The F-150 of course is the brightest spot in their arsenal.

GM is doing very well. They are among the leaders in the self driving and electric technologies. GM is consistently among the top 3 in China Sales. Bara has kept them lean and prospering. Opel is gone which leaves the European market to those who fight for smaller sales percentages.

Like this one, most merger/buyout talk comes from industry analysts who think this or that makes sense. However, we have seen many purchases of big car companies focused on the acquisition of a particular profitable model. Chrysler bought AMC to get Jeep. Mercedes bought Chrysler...not sure why, but flipped it as it was drowning, loosing BIG BIG $$$$ on the deal. I could go on, but the bottom line is that it is better to let a competitor die and take it's money maker with it into the grave, than to take on the entire mess of a downward spiral.

For fun, assume GM bought Ford. What happens to the Silverado and GMC? Would loyal buyers actually stay loyal to 'their brand' if they came off the same assembly line. Built in separate plants with separate engineering would defeat the purpose of the acquisition. What about Mustang and Camaro? Think there is brand loyalty for each of them?!? GM, Ford and even Chrysler learned that the ponycar market cannot support sister cars and the Cougar, Firebird and 'Cuda died to prove it.

Anything can happen, but it seems to me that in the long run GM has much more to lose buying Ford than to gain. JMHO
Yes Longtimer.

It's so screwed up.
Was looking at a Pontiac group I am in last night.
Die Hard Pontiac V8 guys.
They were comparing the LS engine to the Pontiac V8.
Almost said something but kept silent.
Two different types of cylinder head airflow technologies are used in each.

Pontiac V8 actually uses some Olds V8 tech.

LS is actually a modified Yates race NASCAR engine put on the street.

It's Imperative the C8 remains Distinct.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Your sig. has been edited by the admin. Stop now.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Longtimer's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,999
Member #3668
Member since: Nov 2003
Location: So Cal

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Thanks: 510
Thanked 498 Times in 358 Posts
.and the Ford Coyote block heavily uses GM LS tech.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:28 PM   #6
1963SS
DC Crew
 
1963SS's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,658
Member #96709
Member since: Dec 2009
Location: Eastern, KY

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

Thanks: 229
Thanked 867 Times in 521 Posts
Uhhhh, let's just unplug the antenna. Privacy concerns over speeding, etc. will necessitate a receive only format. Since it can't talk back, Mama won't know if it's unplugged or not. I live in the sticks and can't even get cell coverage. How they gonna talk to me? Built in sat-phone? This should be fun. Just like cops vs speeders. Radar vs detectors. There's a lot of crowd sourced programming knowledge out there that I doubt the GM engineers will be equal to the task. Maybe. We'll have to see.
1963SS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If smoking marijuana causes short term memory loss

What does smoking marijuana do?
The Following User Says Thank You to 1963SS For This Useful Post:
Maniacmechanic1 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 12:43 AM   #7
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Longtimer's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,999
Member #3668
Member since: Nov 2003
Location: So Cal

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Thanks: 510
Thanked 498 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963SS View Post
Uhhhh, let's just unplug the antenna.
I don't want to start an argument about something that is just a rumor at this point, but if GM gets serious enough about a connected antenna provision to require it as part of the 'required maintenance' for warranty qualification, its disconnection would void the warranty. Today's Warranty already states you cannot re-flash or modify the programming of the ECU, so objecting to GM's inclusion of an ability to enforce that compliance with the warranty is pretty much defenseless.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:48 AM   #8
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
.and the Ford Coyote block heavily uses GM LS tech.
The 5.0 Production Coyote is not that good of an engine to me.
Had them apart after they blew up and put them back together.
They only use 1/2 of a crankshaft Thrust bearing .
Most retarted dumb thing I have seen ever in a production race engine.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Your sig. has been edited by the admin. Stop now.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:49 AM   #9
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963SS View Post
Uhhhh, let's just unplug the antenna. Privacy concerns over speeding, etc. will necessitate a receive only format. Since it can't talk back, Mama won't know if it's unplugged or not. I live in the sticks and can't even get cell coverage. How they gonna talk to me? Built in sat-phone? This should be fun. Just like cops vs speeders. Radar vs detectors. There's a lot of crowd sourced programming knowledge out there that I doubt the GM engineers will be equal to the task. Maybe. We'll have to see.
Political crap into the C8 Gunny.
Demos.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Your sig. has been edited by the admin. Stop now.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:08 AM   #10
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew
 
grumpyvette's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,414
Member #1106
Member since: Jun 2003
Location: lox fla

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

Thanks: 121
Thanked 599 Times in 415 Posts
That alone would make me strongly consider NOT PURCHASING ANY NEW G.M. products,
even if I had zero desire to re-program the cars software

just the concept that G.M. and obviously, eventually,
insurance companies the local leos, and your local dealership,
any after market maintenance companies, etc.
can real time monitor and track
not only where you go,
but the cars speed drive style ETC.
and mandate you not make any changes ,
is far too " BIG BROTHER WATCHING"
how long before the feds pull the cars ability too even start or run,
if you ever exceed a speed limit, or turn the car off entirely,
if you don,t stop by the local dealership on a cars scheduled maintenance date,
or if your 24 hours late on your insurance payments,
stop at a BAR, car won,t start for 24 hours,
got 60 k since your last brake job or 8K miles since your last oil change... car won,t start.
the potential for " BIG BROTHER WATCHING"
over sight abuse is staggering
grumpyvette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpyvette For This Useful Post:
HN376RAR (06-01-2019), Maniacmechanic1 (05-31-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 02:08 AM   #11
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Longtimer's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,999
Member #3668
Member since: Nov 2003
Location: So Cal

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Thanks: 510
Thanked 498 Times in 358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post
That alone would make me strongly consider NOT PURCHASING ANY NEW G.M. products,
even if I had zero desire to re-program the cars software

just the concept that G.M. and obviously, eventually,
insurance companies the local leos, and your local dealership,
any after market maintenance companies, etc.
can real time monitor and track
not only where you go,
but the cars speed drive style ETC.
and mandate you not make any changes ,
is far too " BIG BROTHER WATCHING"
how long before the feds pull the cars ability too even start or run,
if you ever exceed a speed limit, or turn the car off entirely,
if you don,t stop by the local dealership on a cars scheduled maintenance date,
or if your 24 hours late on your insurance payments,
stop at a BAR, car won,t start for 24 hours,
got 60 k since your last brake job or 8K miles since your last oil change... car won,t start.
the potential for " BIG BROTHER WATCHING"
over sight abuse is staggering
Although this is a possibility, it is not what I said. Yes, if they place a GPS sensor encoded with the VIN on the vehicle, maybe they could do that. Not what I said.

What I said was that there is nothing in the article about the "blocked tune" indicating there would be TWO WAY communication. To do all that you outline Grumpy, would essentially require a type of cell phone/data transmitter to send real time information back to a receiving "system" of some type. FAR more likely that GM will send a 'ping' out Monthly that will tell the receiver to initiate a program check for every control unit in the car but the only info sent back to GM is what has been stored since the last update. The purpose is to identify and on board problems and notify the owner to get the car into the dealer.

My wife's 2017 Buick SUV has the standard no cost On Star. We get monthly emails to access a report telling us the status (no issue, action suggested, or immediate attention) of the seven 'systems' (controllers) in the car plus the individual tire pressures, mileage, and remaining oil life at the time of the ping. The more expensive On Star services can do lots of things you probably would not like and they have been in GM cars for more than a decade.

Are we getting closer to Big Brother, probably but we're still decades away from the A.I. programs and data gathering that you describe. Unless you live in one of the larger EU countries or New York or DC, neither you nor I need to be concerned about Big Brother level surveillance impacting our lives. However, if you ever drive a Toll Road, getting a speeding ticket in the mail is a current day reality.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #12
PNHNDLE96CE
 
PNHNDLE96CE's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,097
Member #14104
Member since: Jun 2004
Location: Florida / S. Jersey

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

Thanks: 190
Thanked 156 Times in 134 Posts
The after-market will crack it just like the C7 ZR1 ECU. HP Tuners offers a complete tunable ECU with your factory one as a core or you can purchase their ECU and keep the stock one just costs more.
PNHNDLE96CE is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF(ret)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:21 AM   #13
Maniacmechanic1
DC Crew
 
Posts: 5,331
Member #176497
Member since: Dec 2017

Thanks: 209
Thanked 220 Times in 200 Posts
Having a Close Look at the C8 Corvette Suspension would be Good Longtimer.
It's what Makes a Corvette different from everything else.

True Street Outlaws Racing 130 -200 mph foot on Floor and never Lift.
Very few cars out there where you don't have to lift off the gas and can power steer back to a straight line and never hit the brakes.
Maniacmechanic1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Your sig. has been edited by the admin. Stop now.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #14
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss
 
Longtimer's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,999
Member #3668
Member since: Nov 2003
Location: So Cal

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Thanks: 510
Thanked 498 Times in 358 Posts
Here is a link to the CAD drawings of the rear suspension. Hope this helps.

https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/for...t=CAD+drawings

Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #15
1963SS
DC Crew
 
1963SS's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,658
Member #96709
Member since: Dec 2009
Location: Eastern, KY

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

Thanks: 229
Thanked 867 Times in 521 Posts
Quote:
Having a Close Look at the C8 Corvette Suspension would be Good Longtimer.
It's what Makes a Corvette different from everything else.
Here ya' go Brian. It will probably be some variation of this......just like the rest of them.

1963SS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If smoking marijuana causes short term memory loss

What does smoking marijuana do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:49 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003-2011, DigitalCorvettes.com - All Rights Reserved