Corvette's baby brother grows up.... - Page 12 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Other Cars, Trucks & Cool Rides
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Other Cars, Trucks & Cool Rides Transportation other than Corvettes...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #166
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

I have been sitting on this update for a couple of weeks as photobucket crashed and today was the first time I could upload new pictures.

I am happy to share that one of the stumbling blocks for building the motor has been removed. The LSX block has been drilled for the 1/2" head studs. Because the high nickel content LSX blocks are harder than others and because these are not common blocks the info on how to drill and tap them for the 1/2" head studs is less than standard.

Having said that, Kyle, at Richmond engines, has now gotten these holes drilled and tapped and I couldn't be happier. Kyle has also bored out the cylinders to 4.125", drilled out and installed the lifter bushings and drilled out the oiling holes in the valley of the block. For some reason GM only had one drilled out while the others weren't but they are now.

The Callies Compstar crankshaft arrived and it was finished at the factory after Jim sent over the bob weight. The quality is what is needed for this amount of HP.

victoryredSS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
**Coming Soon** 05 Victory Red Cobalt SS, LSX Bowtie block, 427 CID, Wilson LS7 billet intake manifold, Brodix BP BR 7 BS 300 Heads, Crower rocker arms, Diamond pistons, Callies crankshaft and rods, Vortech V7 YSi-B, Holley Dominator EFI, RWD conversion, Rossler Terminator 6 Power glide, Ford 9", Strange suspension, SSBC brakes
Expectations *1,000+RWHP*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #167
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

Next, I head over to Kreymr Racing to talk with Dwain and hand over more $$$ and that's ok because everything they do is top quality. I can't really afford them, but I also can't afford to not have them do what they do best.

The wiring has started and should be completed in short order. The plan with the wiring guy is to keep working with minimal days off between now and New Years. In the pictures the black box in the center of the dash is the Holley Dominator ECU. The fuse panel is also installed as is a second panel for relays.

One thing that I probably couldn't afford to do or do without is a center console. Dwain really came through on this part. The pictures don't give the complete look because the dash is off for wiring. I like where the rocker switches are mounted, and I really like the look of this console. The whole interior is going to be either victory red or black, so I need to choose a color for the console. Because the carpet will be black, I am favoring red for the console. The roll cage, which is red, is going to be painted black and the silver parts on the dash are also going to painted red. I have the same color scheme in the engine bay except for a few components which will be silver (including the super charger). I am up for feedback on the color of the console.

Another item almost done is the wing for drag racing. This wing is mounted to a trunk lid specifically for the track. I still have the original trunk lid and wing which will be swapped out for street driving.

Dwain has also redone the mounting points for the parachute as well as the parachute deployment lever. I like the positioning and the functionality of it, requiring only a forward motion to deploy.

Under the hood, Dwain has mounted the dry sump's oil tank. It is going to take some adjustments to the radiator and the water pump to allow for the routing of the hoses but the quality of workmanship that Dwain and Scott do, means that it will look like everything was always designed to be there.
Another item that needed some thought was were to mount the relocation brackets for the smart coils. Those are likely done now and will be mounted to the underside of the cowling. We have changed the plan for the required windshield wiper (weíre using a single blade) so the wiper assemble is gone making the room we needed for the brackets.

I also took a picture of the Vortech racing bypass valve sitting in its proper place. This bypass valve is almost twice the size as the one that comes with the kit. Again, it looks like it was always supposed to be there.

The last thing is another big milestone to me which I already shared but this time I have the picture to share, my NHRA 7.50 chassis certification.

Thankfully, this is a more upbeat post than my last one. 😊

[/URL
**Coming Soon** 05 Victory Red Cobalt SS, LSX Bowtie block, 427 CID, Wilson LS7 billet intake manifold, Brodix BP BR 7 BS 300 Heads, Crower rocker arms, Diamond pistons, Callies crankshaft and rods, Vortech V7 YSi-B, Holley Dominator EFI, RWD conversion, Rossler Terminator 6 Power glide, Ford 9", Strange suspension, SSBC brakes
Old 01-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #168
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

I had to make a trip back to Kreymr Racing because Steve, the wiring guy, discovered that the Holley fuel pump isnít big enough. The reason is because of my using E85. That puts the Holley pump right on the edge of capacity and Iím not a believer of being on the edge of anything. Over build so there is reliability, which as we know means pay more $$$ and in this case the pump required is 400% more $$$.

While I was talking with Dwain, I snapped a couple of more pictures of the progress. One of the items was done to make it easier/quicker to pull the motor. While this modification seemed like a wish list item, Dwain and Scott made quick work of it. Considering a Cobalt was never designed to have a V8 under itís hood let alone with a Vortech S/C attached. Once I have all of this painted it will look like it came from the factory this way and itís only 4 bolts to disconnect/reconnect. In the second picture is also the ARE drysump oil filter mount mounted.

The picture shows the smart coil relocation bracket mounted. These brackets have two pins for quick removal/re-install. This is another item that Dwain and Scott made short work of. They also made and installed a heat shield for the brakes master cylinder which wasnít on my do list but there is no arguing that it was an important thing to do.

There were a few things talked about that are worth mentioning. Steve will be ready to test the electrical system on Tuesday except for the couple of items such as the pump and injectors. Also, Dwain has dealt with the steering column, the steering rack and the header pipes. Another issue put to rest.

The other item discussed with Dwain was that he believes they will be finished this week. The word finished has never been used by a shop, regarding this project, ever before. I know well enough that a couple of tweaks here and there are going to be needed but to be so close, to have the bleeding stop, is monumental to me.

My wife really isnít going to be happy with the latest bill but at least the end is finally in site.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:15 PM   #169
pb7148
DC Crew

Member #70497

My Corvette(s)
2009 C6 crystal red

Quite a labor of love 👍👍
pb7148 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to pb7148 For This Useful Post:
victoryredSS (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 10:31 PM   #170
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb7148 View Post
Quite a labor of love
A labor of love, albeit in a love hate relationship.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #171
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

I was at Richmond Racing Engines today and all of the machining required is finally done. The hone, line hone and everything for the lifters is complete. The LSX block gets a bath and then into the engine assembly room. I have waited a long time to get the block to this point.
While I was there I had a decision to make, am I building a race car or am I building a street car?????
The simple fact is, it's one with a tiny bit of the other at best.
I want the best of both worlds. I want to enjoy my cake eat it too.
The simple truth is, I am building a race car. A race car with an interior. A racecar that has street axles as well as dragstrip axels.
For me to change from street to strip requires a full day in the garage swapping parts.
What do I want more?
I want to go to the track and I want to do some crazy fast runs.
In the end I can cheat when I have a good reason to take the car on the street.
If there is a car show or a photo shoot that I want to attend, I will load the car up in the trailer and take it there. I can drive it around once I arrive at the destination.
The simple truth is I have built a trailer queen.
All of the parts that are the sum of the whole scream, I'm here to kick ass. This is serious business and all of the pain along the way gets erased at 7.50 seconds at a time.
Will the car have a legal license plate?
Yes!
Will the car go to street legal drag nights?
Yes!
Will this Cobalt go racing the big boys in my class?
Yes!
Will this Cobalt get to race Corvettes, Camaros and Hellcats at the dragstrip?
I really hope so.

Having said all of that, part of me wants to sell the car and buy a 2020 Corvette Stingray. As cool as my Cobalt will be, a 2020 Vette is still way more cool.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 PM   #172
pb7148
DC Crew

Member #70497

My Corvette(s)
2009 C6 crystal red

Why not have both. Nothing like having cake and eating it too.
pb7148 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #173
victoryredSS
DC Crew

Member #55168

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb7148 View Post
Why not have both. Nothing like having cake and eating it too.
I like how you think. I hope the wife understands how it would make total sense to do that.

UPDATE

I talked to the fabricator Thursday and the wiring is finished. The car just needs to have the fuel tank and pumps installed and then the car is finished as far as fabrication goes. Then he sets up the suspension and then we arrange for the car come home next weekend so that I can start with the remaining bodywork, paint and re-installing the interior and glass.

The remaining balance owing is way more than we expected but there is no argument that the workmanship for that money is top quality. Never before has this project been almost finished.

This is getting real now and the light is truly shining at the end of a long, dark, tunnel.

Yesterday I dropped into the engine builderís shop and I am very happy that I did.

The engine block has finally gotten a spot in the room where the engines are assembled! This room is where the magic happens people. Kyle, the guy who builds the engines is as stoked about this milestone as we all are. He wants to see this engine run just like we do, and Kyle wants to see the epic burnout once the engine is tuned.

The Carrillo -Bullet series connecting rods are in and they support 2,000 hp. The cam bushing had to be changed out for different ones and the new ones are now there and ready to be installed.

The camshaft is at the border and will be picked up the same time as the rockers. Pushrods are the last thing to be ordered once everything else is assembled.

The engine will be ready to run 2 weeks from today and I am almost in disbelief that after almost 14 years, this project is rounding the final curve. Part of me wondered if this point was ever going to get here.

Ok, now for some pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in