Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Corvette's baby brother grows up....

48K views 203 replies 42 participants last post by  victoryredSS 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread has been too long time in the making.
My name is Rod and I own a 2005 Cobalt SS that i hope has the chance to enjoy some friendly competition with some Corvette owners in my area.

.... I think the Cobalt is pretty sweet and a decent platform to play with, one question though what do you think the time frame on that little motor will be with 750 hp beating it? You really need to start a thread in our other cars section with pics and progress of your project. One of the cool things about this forum is we can appericate the bad ass no matter what form it comes in.
Good luck with your project.
I originally posted a couple of things about my Cobalt 10 months ago and I have been waiting patiently for some substantial pictures to show of my project.
When I first posted I mentioned my project, the plans were to build my car to 750whp. The project has been a very slow process and it has changed direction several times.
To achieve the 750hp mark, we are building the complete engine, with many new custom parts made specifically for the project.
I am staying with the original 4cyl, LSJ. We removed the S/C in favor of two turbos. These turbos will be run in a sequential setup. The smaller turbo, GT28-76, will be to maintain low end boost for street drivability, as my car will be my daily after work driver. The larger turbo, GT4508, is for my top end power.
The engine sits only waiting for the custom crankshaft to arrive early next week. We have over designed the engine and it will comfortably handle 1200bhp @9500rpm.
In the early part of this year the transmission became a costly venture and for a fwd car, it was more than I was wanting to spend. That was when the decision was made to go all out and convert my Cobalt to RWD. We are pairing up my engine to a T-56 with upgraded internals, including a Viper mainshaft.
I have waited months for that conversion to happen and after firing the first shop, the second shop is finally moving forward.
The shop, Distinct Images Custom Cars, is doing a complete race chassis, 4link suspension and NHRA roll cage good to 7:50. We will use different rear ends for the street (Posi) and track (spool). I have emphasiesd to all involved with the project that handling on the track as well as in the corners is a paramount concern to me. To this end I understand that I give up something and that is why I will spend time swapping parts and adjusting the suspension, depending on what surface I will be driving on.
The exterior of the car will remain as stock as possible. We will need to do a couple of alterations to accommodate engine bay cooling and turbo intake.
The interior will obviously have many changes but again, we are working to maintain the Cobalt's original look, apart from the major changes needed to accomodate the conversion. We will upgrade the interior look by wrapping all plastic with leather. We have an award winning shop handling the "show" component of the project.
As I mentioned before, I am hoping to be able to race some local Corvette owners at the BC and Alberta race tracks.
The expectations are that we should have this car on the road in March, '08.
While the following pics are showing the car far from finished, the last 3 weeks has been bringing steady progress and the next few months will see plenty of big changes.
The first picture is just to give an idea of the size of tires we are using for d/r's. The other pictures are of the frame/suspension being test fitted.

See less See more
#159 ·
I have been talking to a race transmission expert and while my 2 speed Powerglide is race prepped with after market components it is still the stock housings. He doesn’t believe the stock housing can hold the type of pressure that my project needs for the expected HP level.

After checking in to the various transmission I had talked with another expert. The higher the gear ratio the weaker the transmission. The 180° gear ratio is rated to somewhere between 600-800 HP. That's not enough for me. I did find a Rossler Terminator 6 on RacingJunk.com. This transmission exceeds what my upper limits are and is a top-notch product.

I will also order the Mark Williams coated billet yoke for this transmission. The transmission is ready for pickup and soon off it goes to the fabricators. The transmission details are what follows:

ROSSLER Terminator 6 - Powerglide:
- ROSS-LOCK Pro Tree transbrake
- Oversized billet steel clutch hub
- 10 clutch Promod drum
- Max surface HD band
- Front pump low friction bearing kit
- Sonnax Super Hold Servo
- Billet aluminum dual ring servo
- Modified front pump converter charge system
- Pump gear lube system
- 1.69 Promod straight cut gears - cryo treated option
- Vasco billet output shaft
- REID RACING 2-piece SFI case
- REID RACING SFI GM/Chevy bellhousing
- REID RACING XHD tail housing with roller output bearing
- Rollerized entire case
- Deep finned cast aluminum pan, +2 quarts
- TH400 style oversized bolt-on stator tube
- "NASA" A
BONUSES and upgrades that come with the transmission:
- 1.69 Promod straight cut gears
- Cryogenic gear treatment option
- LOKAR locking dipstick - fluid level set by Rossler
- Temperature sensor bung welded to the oil pan
- Energy Suspension polyurethane transmission mount
- 6AN in/out trans cooler fittings

Next up for the project is the mounting of the drysump 2 gal US tank which Dwain believes they will manage to mount under the hood to the frame rail.

The project is finally making good headway. I stop in at Richmond Engines this week to see where we are with the motor.

#160 ·
Another piece of the puzzle has arrived into my hands, in fact 2 pieces of that puzzle. I have to say that the Reid case on the Rossler transmission is really nice. While it is strong enough to be SF! 4.1 and 30.1 certified it is light enough for me to pickup off the ground. I ordered a Mark Williams yoke and the u-joints today and once I have those they and the transmission go to Kremyr Racing and Dwain measures up the driveshaft length.It is obvious that this transmission as never been used before. With that said I did realize today that it will need to be re-certified sooner than a new one as it was built 09/16.The next part is needed to help me get in and out of the car easier. I was not originally going to use a quick release hub on my steering wheel but the funny cage bars changed that plan.

#162 ·
Here is a mini update.

I have received the transmission yoke and the u-joints. This week I will drop these items off so I can get a measurement for the driveshaft. I could try to take the measurement myself, but I would rather let the expert do it,

I am weighing my options between mild steel (DOM) and chromoly. There is not a huge difference in cost between the two, so I am leaning to chromoly.

The needs of my car don’t warrant me using aluminum or carbon fiber.

#163 ·
I have been in touch with the editor of LSX Magazine and he has asked to do a feature story on my project when we are done. I had told him that Holley LS Fest West was something I wanted to attend. He offered to do a full photo shoot if I make it to Vegas this coming April!

I have talked to Kreymr Racing and I have talked to Richmond Racing Engines. They are both on board to make this happen.

I have talked with my wife and she is on board with changing our 2020 vacation plans so we can be in Vegas for the LS Fest West.

Besides the photo shoot there will also be drag racing and I have every intention of participating. I am going there fully tuned and ready for balls to the wall racing.

I have never made a deadline before.

I have never been this close to finishing before.

I have never had these shops working on the project before.

Now the shops also have something riding on me getting to Vegas, their names will be prominently be featured in the feature story covering all most 14 years of the cars life.

I expect updates to be very regular for the next few weeks.

There will be plenty of odds and ends to be done once the car comes home so time for me will pass quickly.

If any of the members want to see the car up close, finished and racing LS Fest West is the place to be in April.

It would be really awesome to be able to race some Corvettes and Camaros while I am there. Anyone here up for racing a Cobalt? Loser buys dinner. :)

A couple of other wrinkles that I must iron out in short order.

Because the car chassis and most RWD components were originally planned out with the intention of using a turbo LSJ we weren't worried about all of the torque at launch. Now that we have the boosted V8 I investigated my drag strip Ford 9" and checked out it's capabilities.

The 35 spline axels are good, the spool is good, but the Strange case and the gears aren't going to work. Not at 1200+ HP. Dwain Kremyr is ordering up a new rear end next week which will have a 4.11 gear ratio and be able to more than meet my needs. He also believes he has a buyer for my strange rear case with 4.30 gears.

The other issue I have is that my MagnaFuel 750 EFI fuel pump is not designed for continuous use which will severely limit any kind of street driving. I am choosing to swap out that unit for a Holley 12-1800-2 which will satisfy both street and dragstrip needs.

One other piece of the puzzle arrived a couple of days ago.

They are supposed to hold way more HP than I am going to throw at them which I'm pleased about.

Diamond piston specs;
Diamond Chevrolet LSX 12°, 4.125 Bore, 4.000 Stroke, 6.125 Rod, 1.15 comp height, -4.8cc, .927 x 2.250 pin

LSX RACE 12°FLAT TOP SERIES

· 3D milling on piston crowns for ready to install finish

· Inboard forging design with fully machined under crown for maximum strength

· Valve pockets designed to work with most aftermarket 12° cylinder heads

· Side gas ports for better ring seal

· Moly skirt coating for friction loss and skirt wear protection

· Top ring down dimension: .280" (1.115cd) .250" (1.053cd)

· Ratios figured for .053 head gasket

· Premium 1.5mm x 1.5mm x 3.0mm ring package included

· Premium H-13 .250W wrist pins included chamfered for round wire locks

· Valve pocket depth: 0.220" intake and .162" exhaust

· 2618 material for High HP-NOS-Boost applications - rated for 2000HP

· 10.7 compression ratio on 72cc combustion chambers

#164 ·
My dilemma

I am a bit of a loss as I try to understand the performance/custom car industry.

I find almost all the shops I have dealt with are full of BS.I get lied to about parts being ordered and, on their way, when that isn’t true.

Do those liars forget what they told me, or do they think I don’t remember what they said?

I get lied to about when work is going to be started/completed.

I get lied to about the true cost of the labor. It’s amazing how fast the bill can go from $0.00 to $5,000.

Throughout my project I have always paid my bills when payment was requested. I believe that a man’s wages should be paid when due. I don’t work for free and I do not expect anyone to do otherwise.

Having said that, the question I can’t really answer is ‘why is this part of the auto industry so rampant with lies’?

The wiring expert was supposed to start back on Nov. 1st. Still no wiring done.

The engine was supposed to be built by Christmas but that is now impossible. The drilling for the ½” head studs, the machining for the rocker arms and the boring for the pistons was supposed to be done already. So far none of that has happened or been started even.

It seems everyone has the mentality that if the other guy isn’t done yet, ‘why should I finish my part’?

The problem with that attitude is then, nothing ever gets done because the other guy didn’t do his part.

I keep wondering, what am I supposed to do different???

I am beyond patient; I am not rude or crass when I deal with the shop owners and their staff.

I treat people as I would like to be treated and it still gets me/my project nowhere.

After almost 14 years I don’t understand why people don’t do what they said they would do in the timely manner that they said they would do it in.

I let the fabricator know today that I am not going to ‘just wait’ for the wiring guy to do his job. I said, “I have waited too often, for too long and I am tired of it” If the wiring guy doesn’t want to do the project that is fine. I will just look for someone else.

I am now actively searching for someone who can do the wiring if the current guy won't show up and do the work. I am making a deadline of just before Christmas for significant wiring progress to be achieved.

When people tell me to be patient I keep thinking no one has been more patient than me. At 13 years and 7 months of patient, I have most people beat in the patience department.

#166 ·
I have been sitting on this update for a couple of weeks as photobucket crashed and today was the first time I could upload new pictures.

I am happy to share that one of the stumbling blocks for building the motor has been removed. The LSX block has been drilled for the 1/2" head studs. Because the high nickel content LSX blocks are harder than others and because these are not common blocks the info on how to drill and tap them for the 1/2" head studs is less than standard.

Having said that, Kyle, at Richmond engines, has now gotten these holes drilled and tapped and I couldn't be happier. Kyle has also bored out the cylinders to 4.125", drilled out and installed the lifter bushings and drilled out the oiling holes in the valley of the block. For some reason GM only had one drilled out while the others weren't but they are now.

The Callies Compstar crankshaft arrived and it was finished at the factory after Jim sent over the bob weight. The quality is what is needed for this amount of HP.

#167 ·
Next, I head over to Kreymr Racing to talk with Dwain and hand over more $$$ and that's ok because everything they do is top quality. I can't really afford them, but I also can't afford to not have them do what they do best.

The wiring has started and should be completed in short order. The plan with the wiring guy is to keep working with minimal days off between now and New Years. In the pictures the black box in the center of the dash is the Holley Dominator ECU. The fuse panel is also installed as is a second panel for relays.

One thing that I probably couldn't afford to do or do without is a center console. Dwain really came through on this part. The pictures don't give the complete look because the dash is off for wiring. I like where the rocker switches are mounted, and I really like the look of this console. The whole interior is going to be either victory red or black, so I need to choose a color for the console. Because the carpet will be black, I am favoring red for the console. The roll cage, which is red, is going to be painted black and the silver parts on the dash are also going to painted red. I have the same color scheme in the engine bay except for a few components which will be silver (including the super charger). I am up for feedback on the color of the console.

Another item almost done is the wing for drag racing. This wing is mounted to a trunk lid specifically for the track. I still have the original trunk lid and wing which will be swapped out for street driving.

Dwain has also redone the mounting points for the parachute as well as the parachute deployment lever. I like the positioning and the functionality of it, requiring only a forward motion to deploy.

Under the hood, Dwain has mounted the dry sump's oil tank. It is going to take some adjustments to the radiator and the water pump to allow for the routing of the hoses but the quality of workmanship that Dwain and Scott do, means that it will look like everything was always designed to be there.
Another item that needed some thought was were to mount the relocation brackets for the smart coils. Those are likely done now and will be mounted to the underside of the cowling. We have changed the plan for the required windshield wiper (we’re using a single blade) so the wiper assemble is gone making the room we needed for the brackets.

I also took a picture of the Vortech racing bypass valve sitting in its proper place. This bypass valve is almost twice the size as the one that comes with the kit. Again, it looks like it was always supposed to be there.

The last thing is another big milestone to me which I already shared but this time I have the picture to share, my NHRA 7.50 chassis certification. :thumbsup:

Thankfully, this is a more upbeat post than my last one. ?

[/URL

#168 ·
I had to make a trip back to Kreymr Racing because Steve, the wiring guy, discovered that the Holley fuel pump isn’t big enough. The reason is because of my using E85. That puts the Holley pump right on the edge of capacity and I’m not a believer of being on the edge of anything. Over build so there is reliability, which as we know means pay more $$$ and in this case the pump required is 400% more $$$.

While I was talking with Dwain, I snapped a couple of more pictures of the progress. One of the items was done to make it easier/quicker to pull the motor. While this modification seemed like a wish list item, Dwain and Scott made quick work of it. Considering a Cobalt was never designed to have a V8 under it’s hood let alone with a Vortech S/C attached. Once I have all of this painted it will look like it came from the factory this way and it’s only 4 bolts to disconnect/reconnect. In the second picture is also the ARE drysump oil filter mount mounted.

The picture shows the smart coil relocation bracket mounted. These brackets have two pins for quick removal/re-install. This is another item that Dwain and Scott made short work of. They also made and installed a heat shield for the brakes master cylinder which wasn’t on my do list but there is no arguing that it was an important thing to do.

There were a few things talked about that are worth mentioning. Steve will be ready to test the electrical system on Tuesday except for the couple of items such as the pump and injectors. Also, Dwain has dealt with the steering column, the steering rack and the header pipes. Another issue put to rest.

The other item discussed with Dwain was that he believes they will be finished this week. The word finished :surprised :surprised has never been used by a shop, regarding this project, ever before. I know well enough that a couple of tweaks here and there are going to be needed but to be so close, to have the bleeding stop, is monumental to me.

My wife really isn’t going to be happy with the latest bill but at least the end is finally in site. :cheers:

#170 ·
#171 ·
I was at Richmond Racing Engines today and all of the machining required is finally done. The hone, line hone and everything for the lifters is complete. The LSX block gets a bath and then into the engine assembly room. I have waited a long time to get the block to this point.
While I was there I had a decision to make, am I building a race car or am I building a street car?????
The simple fact is, it's one with a tiny bit of the other at best.
I want the best of both worlds. I want to enjoy my cake eat it too.
The simple truth is, I am building a race car. A race car with an interior. A racecar that has street axles as well as dragstrip axels.
For me to change from street to strip requires a full day in the garage swapping parts.
What do I want more?
I want to go to the track and I want to do some crazy fast runs.
In the end I can cheat when I have a good reason to take the car on the street.
If there is a car show or a photo shoot that I want to attend, I will load the car up in the trailer and take it there. I can drive it around once I arrive at the destination.
The simple truth is I have built a trailer queen.
All of the parts that are the sum of the whole scream, I'm here to kick ass. This is serious business and all of the pain along the way gets erased at 7.50 seconds at a time.
Will the car have a legal license plate?
Yes!
Will the car go to street legal drag nights?
Yes!
Will this Cobalt go racing the big boys in my class?
Yes!
Will this Cobalt get to race Corvettes, Camaros and Hellcats at the dragstrip?
I really hope so.

Having said all of that, part of me wants to sell the car and buy a 2020 Corvette Stingray. As cool as my Cobalt will be, a 2020 Vette is still way more cool. ;)

#173 ·
I like how you think. I hope the wife understands how it would make total sense to do that. ;)

UPDATE

I talked to the fabricator Thursday and the wiring is finished. The car just needs to have the fuel tank and pumps installed and then the car is finished as far as fabrication goes. Then he sets up the suspension and then we arrange for the car come home next weekend so that I can start with the remaining bodywork, paint and re-installing the interior and glass.

The remaining balance owing is way more than we expected but there is no argument that the workmanship for that money is top quality. Never before has this project been almost finished.

This is getting real now and the light is truly shining at the end of a long, dark, tunnel.

Yesterday I dropped into the engine builder’s shop and I am very happy that I did.

The engine block has finally gotten a spot in the room where the engines are assembled! This room is where the magic happens people. Kyle, the guy who builds the engines is as stoked about this milestone as we all are. He wants to see this engine run just like we do, and Kyle wants to see the epic burnout once the engine is tuned.

The Carrillo -Bullet series connecting rods are in and they support 2,000 hp. The cam bushing had to be changed out for different ones and the new ones are now there and ready to be installed.

The camshaft is at the border and will be picked up the same time as the rockers. Pushrods are the last thing to be ordered once everything else is assembled.

The engine will be ready to run 2 weeks from today and I am almost in disbelief that after almost 14 years, this project is rounding the final curve. Part of me wondered if this point was ever going to get here.

Ok, now for some pictures. :)

#175 ·
I'm definitely smiling more when I am talking/thinking about having the car finally done except for yesterday.
I had to tell my wonderful wife that the final numbers were in and we needed to give the shops just over 30K:surprised for the last of the work.
At least this time I could definitively say the car is now coming home and the remaining work I can do.
The next 2-3 weeks are going to be the best days of the whole project.:D

#177 ·
I'm glad that you and others have followed this project.

I learnt the hard way that complaining never made the project move faster.

It's seems that not letting the shops know your disappointed actually gets more work done.

Still, every once in a while I really needed to say enough was enough.

I was at the fabricators shop today and I honestly told him I was running out of $$$.

We went over what needed to be done and it should all be covered under the final numbers he gave me.
I go back later this week to pay him for this last invoice.

I have some updated pictures of the wiring done. It looks messy but until the actual motor resides in the engine bay this is how it looks. Both coil pack sets are installed.

There are minimal gauges being used simply because I can't justify the cost of wiring them all in. Some of the gauges that are in my previous posts won't be used but instead they will be sold off. Because of how much I have lost I am only doing what is needed to finish the project properly.

I mentioned my discussion with my wife about how much we needed to pay out and while she is the best wife in the world, she wants the bleeding to stop. I will do everything that I can do to keep her happy. Having to sell a few gauges for a fraction of their cost is fine with me. In the end I need to support her or this project is worthless. A car isn't worth hurting the woman I love.

I have some pictures of the emergency cut-off switch and the upgraded parachute mount. There is also a picture of the custom fuel cell. While it is aluminum and while E85 doesn't react favorably to aluminum, the fuel cell will be anodized inside and out.

I discovered a few items that the wiring guy missed so the project isn't likely to come home until a week from Saturday.

Thanks for watching this thread.:cool:

#178 ·
Time for a small update.

I have a few pictures of the block waiting for parts to be installed and of the Crower rocker arms we are using. The rockers are meant for business and you can see that by just looking at them. The last picture is the A.R.E. Drysump pump mounted. Jim wasn’t thrilled about the collet used to secure the pulley, so he is going to machine a keyway because at any horsepower, oil is essential. I really appreciate his attention to detail which is why I chose his shop for the project. I really wish I had found Richmond Racing Engines and Kreymr Racing at the beginning of this project 14 years ago. I shake my head at how much $$$ I would have saved by having honest and quality shops working on this project from the beginning.

The block has the bearings installed and right now we are waiting on the pushrods and camshaft. Apparently, the camshaft world is suffering a huge backorder because of a shortage of billet blanks. I am hoping that this a very short-term problem.

On top of that, I have run into an issue with fueling. My Wilson billet LS7 intake manifold was designed to run ID 1700 injectors. The issue is that my MagnaFuel pump does not flow enough capacity to run the Injector Dynamics injectors. I am now looking at electric gear driven pumps and I have seen a Weldon pump that may meet the needs of the project but by the time I found that information it was too late to get a Weldon technician on the phone.

Honestly, we are too close to the finish line to have this issue. Still, I can’t be unprepared which means I have to do my homework and make the right choice. Not having enough fuel undermines everything I have chose to do up to this point, over-build to prevent from running on the edge. Long ago I read the sage words of wisdom, fast/reliable/cheap pick two. Even in today’s pictures you can see the choice in parts and cheap is not an apt description. Those rocker arms mean business.

Jim, owner of Richmond Racing Engines, suggested a Weldon Racing Pumps as a source of an electric, gear driven pump as a possible solution. I researched Weldon and found a pump that may meet my needs and at a reasonable price, but I missed talking to a technician by 3 minutes. Now I wait until Monday morning. ☹

I am also thinking of the street and strip applications. This motor really isn’t street friendly. I have a crank/rods/rockers that were too weak for this engine but will work in a 500 hp motor so I am considering just getting a 6.0L Vortech block and having a street engine build. I have a couple of side jobs to bid on and if they happen that should cover the cost. Swapping everything between street/strip is fairly straight forward and more cost effective than trying to balance everything in one engine. I am going to be starting a crowdfunding page on a Christian based platform to help complete the project but my preference is to have the side work/overtime work to cover the short falls. For those who have followed this project for a long time will know that I want to use the car for Christian ministry. Using a Christian crowdfunding platform allows like minded believers to help out a 14-year project. I am not out to preach to everyone here, because no matter what your beliefs are, with everyone here following this project, you have all encouraged me along the way. ?

Now, lets look at some pictures. ?

#179 · (Edited)
After doing a lot of reading on fuel pumps I made some calls to choose which option meets my needs. The Aeromotive brushless pump that flowed 5gal/min was not available in time to have it wired in or so I thought.

I chose to buy a Wheldon Racing Pump, model A16,000-A along with the matching fuel regulator and both fuel filters. This setup will flow 7 gal/min which works for my needs. Next, I ordered the ID2600-XDS injectors and after that one of my last big-ticket items. After this purchase I still need the torque converter and exhaust pipes. The question is whether I just choose straight pipes for the track or add in mufflers now. After all of the cost and race parts, it is likely that I need to just focus on the dragstrip as this engine won’t like stop and go traffic. Considering how long this project has taken, almost 14 years, I may need to just have a street friendly engine built to swap out when I am not planning to be at the track. If the cost of doing that means waiting until next year then I am fine with that. I have already this long so choosing the track over the street, for now, is an easy choice to make.

The Weldon fuel pump, regulator and the filters have been dropped it off at the fabricators and are now mounted. It's huge and even the fuel filters are huge.

I put a tape measure in the picture to give you an idea of how big it is.

The ID 2600-XDS injectors have been ordered and will arrive next week. The amount of E85 this motor is going to drink is crazy. The cost of these parts is crazy. I've ordered several other parts needed to finish this project.

I have to be honest, all of this is a huge financial stretch and I am so looking forward to the bleeding to stop.

As much as I wanted this engine to be a street/strip motor it is, in the end, a full on race engine. I have used no cheap parts and as you can imagine, this engine wasn't cheap. Fast, reliable and cheap pick two. I know which two I picked.

With one of the last orders I had to make, I bought the engine diaper, the seat belts, the racing suit and the helmet. Once the car is done I am ready to go racing and we will see exactly what this 14 year project will do.

The finish line got another step closer yesterday when I picked up another piece of the puzzle. The driveshaft was made at Pat's Driveline. Not only was this driveshaft made fast, 1 day, it was very reasonably priced. For any of the locals (or anyone with a location nearby) they are the place to go for both stock and custom driveshafts. The guys at Pat's Driveline couldn't believe that the following part was going into a Cobalt.

Next week is going to be a good week if all goes as planned. Many of the last needed parts will arrive and I should have an almost completely assembled engine.

#180 ·
Yesterday was another parts delivery day, of which there should only be a few more at most.

One of the priciest were the 8 fuel injectors needed. The company says they don't believe in advertising (no discounts for anyone) so I'm not using their name. These injectors are designed and built to use E85 so no issues with having to run gasoline through them if the car is going to sit for a bit.

I also received a Strange HD Pro case and all of the parts needed to swap out my gear set and spool from the weaker case. The case was the last remaining weak link from the original parts from the RWD conversion. I will try to sell the other case with the other long list of parts that I have.

I got the NRG adapter hub so we can install the quick release hub on the steering wheel.

The engine diaper and the camlock seat belts also arrived as did my helmet (I still need the neck collar) and racing suit. The suit is multi layered and is quite thick and I hope I never need it to actually do it's job.

#181 ·
I hate this new site update

#182 ·
You cannot imagine how long I spent doing the latest update on my project to only have it all fail. What worked last time did not work this time. What worked before didn't work the time before. New is not always better. :(

#183 ·
My latest update.

The car is now home and I will start doing the work that I can do. Now is the time for the ‘rubber to meet the road’.

First picture, we needed to be able to have the steering rack function properly and that wasn’t going to happen without adjusting the alternator. The steering rack knuckle was in the way and this is the shops fix.

This ARE catch can is mounted and ready for hoses. It is an upgraded version to the first one I had which will now be used for the Rossler transmission.

There are plenty of updated pictures of the roll cage upgrades, needed to get the 7.5 second NHRA certification. Anything not painted is clearly the new parts. Looking at the finished cage, I admit, I feel safe going down the track. Kreymr Racing has done very good work and the attention to detail is reassuring to me. Look at the bars on the driver side, you can see the slight bend in them to allow for the seat and myself. The bars behind my seat and over top of my seat, are very much made to protect me.
[/URL
]

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/roll%20cage%20details%202.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/roll%20cage%20details%203.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/roll%20cage%20details%204.jpg.html][/URL
]
[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/roll%20cage%20details%205.jpg.html]
\

[/URL
]

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/roll%20cage%20details%207.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/roll%20cage%20details%208.jpg.html][/URL
]
[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/roll%20cage%20details%209.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/roll%20cage%20details%2010.jpg.html][/URL
]

#184 ·
These pictures of the finished stainless-steel headers fail to show the $$ wasted on them, whether by design or by thievery. I understand they are custom for my engine bay and still, before Dwain got his hands on them, they weren’t more than tack welded at the flanges and my collectors had gone missing. Dwain finished the welding, added on the collectors and installed the 02 bungs. Now the question is whether or not I choose to wrap them?

I have a couple of pictures of the NRG adapter hub. This adapter fit directly to the I Did It steering column and it looks like it belongs there. Unlike the Grant steering wheel and its mount which looks clunky and cheap. The downside to the NRG quick release 3.0 that I have, it is 6 holes, and the Grant steering wheel is 5 holes. None of the bolt patterns match up so now I order a new steering wheel. :eek: The new steering wheel is also from NRG Innovations so everything is expected to work. When I originally bought the Grant wheel, I wasn’t doing a funny car cage or a quick release hub. In the end I am glad to have upgraded to these components.

[/URL
]

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/NRG%20adapter%20hub%202.jpg.html][/URL
]

I have a picture from the underside of the car’s backend. The picture shows the welding points on the parachute mount. Kreymr Racing didn’t like the original mount and I have to agree. This upgraded mount gives me confidence that the parachute is going to stay attached to my car. I’m including a picture or the first mount for comparison sake.

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/underside%20of%20parachute%20mount.jpg.html]

[/URL
]

Next, I have a picture of the mounted Weldon A16,000-A fuel pump. It is a monster of a pump, but it fits in the space where it needs to be. Once my part is done, the tank will be re-installed, and the lines run for the complete fuel system. Because of the limited space for my fuel cell I have a small tank, so we are also plumbing in a secondary tank, which was originally going to be used for a methanol injection kit. This second tank is available now to use because of the choice to run E85, which is the same reason we need more fuel capacity.
[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/Weldon%20A16000-A.jpg.html][/URL
]

URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/custom%20fuel%20cell%201.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/custom%20fuel%20cell%202.jpg.html][/URL
]

This picture shows a work in progress. Because the firewall was moved back to accommodate the V8, the dashboard also moved farther back. This meant some modifications were needed. The first picture shows a sheet metal piece that fits from the stock dash and fills the space between the dash and the windshield. The next 2 pictures show where the door panel needs to be modified and why. The contours of the dash sides and the door panel no longer lined up, so Dwain used his skills to make everything work.
[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/dash%20modification.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/door%20panel%20modification%201.jpg.html][/URL
]

I have shown a picture before of the modified bumper allowing for extra airflow for the S/C intercooler. This picture shows the modification to the bumper itself. Absolutely, no air constriction here. Good thing I have a very stout roll cage as I don’t think the bumper is really going to protect me much.

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/bumper%20modification%20for%20air%20flow.jpg.html][/URL
]

Another lingering issue, lingering for over a decade, was my new gas pedal. The gas pedal has been another unacceptably expensive issue with this project. Thanks, to Dwain, this issue is almost finished. While red usually means stop, in my brain it says go faster, so I’m planning to paint the gas pedal red.

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/gas%20pedal%20bracket.jpg.html][/URL
]

Now for the “what is this” picture? Us older guys will know what this is. Younger guys won’t have a clue. In fact, I showed it to my wife, Maria, yesterday and she had no clue what it was. Even though she’s slightly older than me, she had no reference point to the function of this object, even though, she saw where it was mounted. I am curious as to who tells us all what it is, first.
[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/what%20is%20this.jpg.html][/URL
]

Reactions: HN376RAR
#185 ·
That part was actually one of the very few electrical parts that I supplied that the wiring guy used. Most of the electrical parts, except for most of the Holley parts, the electrical guy simply pushed off to the side and purchased what he wanted instead. I know that seems reasonable to a point, somethings he discarded were basic and universal, like the many relays that I had already bought. Still, the simple truth is, with the work the Dwain @ Kreymr Racing did, plus the wiring by Steve, this project is so closer to being finished than it ever has been, EVER!!!

The last couple of pictures are of my fenders which need to be reworked because the welds sit proud. The welds need heat shrinking so that I can finish the body work. I have friend from work (welder) who is coming to do this repair. The body shop who modified the fenders for me sent these back in a state that even the fabricator called, unacceptable. That body shop was supposed to go fix the problem while the car was at the fabricators. They chose not to do that and instead they wanted me to pay to have the car towed to/from the body shop. On top of the cost of towing, who knows how much $$ they would hold the car hostage for to fix something that they should never have allowed in the first place. The said they needed the car, but they had built a jig (at my cost) so they had no reasonable excuse why they didn’t get this right. You will notice that I don’t use their name and that is because I don’t believe in either slander or ‘all publicity is good publicity if you spell their name right’. Many customers likely had good experiences with that body shop, me, not so much.

[/URL
]

[URL=https://s186.photobucket.com/user/victory_red_SS/media/RWD%20Cobalt%20Project/ready%20for%20heat%20shrinking%202.jpg.html][/URL
]

I spent too much time to make this post syntax, grammatically correctly. If this post is incorrect it is because of the latest site update. I worked my a** off to make this post make sense in plain English.

#186 ·
There are many updates to my project but those will have to wait until I have a bit more time to get those updates posted.

How ever, I am thinking this update is worth jumping the que for.

Finally, after over 14 years my race engine breathed for the first time today. It was an awesome moment.

We need to adjust a few things away from then N/A setup to EFI. We made close to 750 hp naturally aspirated on the first pull. Oil pressure was an issue, so we didn’t push past 7500 rpms. My heads are built to withstand 8200 rpm’s and keep on smiling.

I need a System 1 oil filter for the pressure we are running. We also need a bigger pulley for the drysump pump because ARE wants us to spin less tan our current pulley spins. We have a few more tweaks to make to get all of the lines for the drysump to fit the custom motor mount. I have a LS steam line kit arriving this week and I now need to order a torque converter. Finally, the patient has a heartbeat.

victory_red_SS' heart beat

There were 2 pulls done and this the second one as I was in the control room for the first pull.

victory_red_SS' dyno pull

#187 ·
I'm guessing people might like these pictures as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.