Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Can You Damage Your Paint with the PC-7424XP Polisher?

27K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 · (Edited)
... well these two videos will answer that question in detail! I explain why you should or should not worry about doing so.

With that said, here are the videos!

The Junkman

#2 ·
Junkman, You rock.:partyon:

I wish there was a vid like this when I bought mine.
Actually, I bought the model # matching the sander. I remember reading here in the forums that it is the same thing just different #'s for sander/polisher.
I really enjoy mine. Even after I bought it I was still apprehensive about damaging the paint. This vid has erased all fears.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

#4 ·
Thanks man. :thumbsup:

I so needed this stuff when I was learning. That's why I make these videos now. Some poor sap is out there just like I was, lost and trying to figure it all out. Here's to him. :cheers:

My "Junkman kit" is being delivered on thursday. Can't wait to try it:thumbsup:
You're a little "beefier" than I am. Don't go trying this at home! :laughing:

#7 ·
Bought my 08 black Z06 with only 8500 miles on it at a bargain price that was the good news - bad news was previous owner didn't know squat about how to wash it and there were plenty of swirl marks in the paint (you can sure see 'em in black paint). My son and I worked with two pc orbitals for 13 hours getting it back right but it is perfect. Used M's Diamond Cut (which, by the way, diminishes in its cutting power as you use it), then a medium and a fine polish. It equaled 28 hours of polishing by one person. When we were through, a microfiber squeaked when rubbed even lightly across the finish. We applied a layer of Klasse sealant, and I am always adding layers of Turtle Wax liquid Ice (I like it because it doesn't turn white and you can get it on anything without any residue showing - it even shines the rubber) after gentle washes. My son as a detailer has a direct drive polisher too (which he won't let me touch!) and he can handle it safely but even he didn't want to risk anything on my new car even though it would have saved us time. In short, take longer and use an orbital to be safewith your paint. Enjoyed the videos!

#9 ·
... Used M's Diamond Cut (which, by the way, diminishes in its cutting power as you use it), then a medium and a fine polish.
Technically just so you know, Diamond Cut is not made for the orbital polisher because an orbital does not generate the heat necessary to break down the diminishing abrasives that you speak of. If you look at the bottle, it shows that it is technically made just for rotary polishers.

PC-7424XP...Junkman, when you click on this as you suggest in your post it states..."product not found"
Fixed! :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I watched the videos, and basically I have one concern / question.
When he demonstrated and showed that the PC did not show any blue paint on the pad, after max pressure with an aggressive cutting compound.
Well, why should it?
You have several coats of clear on the finish before you break through to the color coat.
He may have removed some of the clear coat which would not be detectible on the pad.

#12 ·
Hey Tex!
I am by no means a body shop expert, just a car guy.
Though, I have been buying new Z28's and corvettes for30 years.
I remember the good ol' day's when You would purchase a new non clear coated Car, and you would praise yourself by the omount of paint that you got on your wipe off towel ;)

You could basically change the color tone of your car with mirror glaze polish by hand and it came out great.

What I do now is clay at the beginning of the season and at the end of the season with two zaino polishes in between.
Clear coat is like a mirror,,, keep it clean, and clay when you see imperfections, you really cant get it to shine more than the day you drove her home.
I wouldn't mind getting a PC, but, you do have several coats of clear on the paint before you get to the color.

#14 ·
I didn't realize that new car clear coats were so thinly applied.

Using the Makita type machine isn't all that bad, I have used this type of equipment on my own vehicles.

With those units you need to put your product on the pad and run your course without stopping in any one area, and use it at the correct pressure.

You end up running around the vehicle with the product splashing you in the face, spotting the windshield and everyone around you. :)

Problems arise when you notice an imperfection in the paint and then say to yourself "I'll hold the machine here for several seconds and maybe press a little harder hoping to work it out "

You have to keep moving the Makita machine and splash away!

I clayed my new GS Vert this weekend - twice.

Using the baggie test I removed about 90% of the offenders.

I say 90% because if you now do the baggie test, maybe, every 2' sq or so so you can feel one or two very faint pits.

To much lube? Not enough pressure? Don't worry about it? I don't know, the car only has 150 miles on it.

Anyway,,,,

I bet that PC performs nice, I may purchase one.

Thanks Junkman!

#15 ·
Explaining how to use a rotary is like explaining how to land a plane. The person can memorize the explanation backward and forward but actually landing the plane is a totally different animal! :thud:

#16 ·
Well put

And he makes it sound so fun
With those units you need to put your product on the pad and run your course without stopping in any one area, and use it at the correct pressure.

You end up running around the vehicle with the product splashing you in the face, spotting the windshield and everyone around you.
And I thought my ass was wore out after using the PC:thud:

#19 ·
Need an explanation: PC-7424XP Polisher vs. Flex Polisher

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I need an explanation! At this year's Hot August Nights Big Boys Tent, you sold me the PC-7424XP Polisher --- with many extras at $$$$ ---- because "this is the best polishing system on the market." I purchased additional items for this system the following month. In fact, a friend also purchased the same system when I ordered mine.

I used the PC-7424XP Polisher --- only one time on my C6-Z06 --- it worked perfectly!!! I have no issues with it nor any of the other Adams products that I have purchased and used. After my experience on the Z06, I now plan to use the PC-7424XP Polisher on my 1982 Corvette Show Car in the very near future.

However, three short months later, I see that you are now pushing your new Flex Polisher --- is the new Flex Polisher, now, "the best polishing system on the market?????"

Did you sell me your old technology in August and replaced it with new technology in November???

Or is the new Flex Polisher just an addition to your product line. If so, do you plan to continue to carry and support the PC-7424XP Polisher system?

As a new customer, I need a response from Adams.

#20 · (Edited)
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I need an explanation! At this year's Hot August Nights Big Boys Tent, you sold me the PC-7424XP Polisher --- with many extras at $$$$ ---- because "this is the best polishing system on the market." I purchased additional items for this system the following month. In fact, a friend also purchased the same system when I ordered mine.

I used the PC-7424XP Polisher --- only one time on my C6-Z06 --- it worked perfectly!!! I have no issues with it nor any of the other Adams products that I have purchased and used. After my experience on the Z06, I now plan to use the PC-7424XP Polisher on my 1982 Corvette Show Car in the very near future.

However, three short months later, I see that you are now pushing your new Flex Polisher --- is the new Flex Polisher, now, "the best polishing system on the market?????"

Did you sell me your old technology in August and replaced it with new technology in November???

Or is the new Flex Polisher just an addition to your product line. If so, do you plan to continue to carry and support the PC-7424XP Polisher system?

As a new customer, I need a response from Adams.
No problem, allow me to clear up a few things. First, you need to watch the videos posted in the first post of this thread as they directly address the questions that you have. However, I will explain the differences with these two polishers.

First, the PC kit that you purchased is not billed as the best polishing system on the market. The PC-7424XP itself is one of the safest, but yet effective polishers on the planet. It is next to impossible to damage your paint with that polisher if you use it remotely correctly. It is so safe, that I will let a child buff my Corvette with it.

The Flex is a more aggressive polisher that does work faster than the PC but is more dangerous than the PC. I would not sell a Flex to a novice. Other people will tell you differently but I bet they won't back that up with an offer to pay to paint your car if you screw it up with a Flex. ;)

#21 ·
junkman, do you think this would work with the swirl and haze remover?

Also my 2007 chevy Tahoe, has many scratches that i want to try and remove scratches however the my question is the side molding (plastic) on the top edges looks very faded almost like there is a build-up of mold on them...what do you recommend to remove these stains?

#22 ·
Of course you can use SHR with the Flex! That's one of the two polishes that I used with this repair that I posted a few days ago. What you have to realize though is that this is not some kind of miracle machine that will fix everything. Some scratches may be through the clear coat and thus, would be not advised to try and remove. If your fingernail catches in the scratch, leave it alone.

All of the polishes that Adam's has will work with the Flex. He even color coded the new pad to match his new polish. It's when you start using some of the Meguiar's products that you have to pay attention. Some of their products work differently as far as how long you work them and which type of polisher that you can use them on. That's why their extensive line is so confusing to novices. They confused me too when I started using their stuff.

As for the molding, I can't say without seeing what you are talking about. I will say that one time, I buffed a molding and made it shine like glass. Then I had another instance where I buffed a molding and it melted into the pad and got into the paint. That was a complete mess that took a while to fix.

#23 ·
Junkman --- Thanks for the explanation

Junkman: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the explanation! I am glad that I started with the PC; like I said before, I am very happy with it and all the Adams products that I have purchased.

Based on your explanation, I am NOT ready nor do I need the Flex....yet.... and I hope that I never have a need for it. Recommend that your explanation be included in all discussions concerning the Flex.....new customers need to know the difference.

I also needed to know that Adams was going to continue providing product support for my new PC polisher.

By the way, I met you and the Adams team at your Grand Sierra tent during Hot August Nights 2010 --- it was great speaking with you.

Hooah!!!

#24 ·
Hot August Nights is quite a show. A ton of people pass through our tent and I always enjoy meeting you guys. :thumbsup:

If you get your paint perfect, you will have absolutely no need for the Flex. It is a tool that I use to compliment the PC, when dealing with major damage. Once the major damage is gone, you use the correct maintenance procedures to ensure that you don't recreate the damage. This also means that you will not have to get as aggressive with your paint as the Flex does, or as the PC does when using the orange pad and SHR.

SHR should be a 1 time event in your paint's life, provided the paint never sees severe damaged by some accidental mishap.

#30 ·
I'll be getting my PC out this Spring. That dark blue is getting some swirls even though I subscribe to the Junkman 2 bucket wash. They aren't bad, but I know from experience with my 2009 that after the PC treatment, it shines like a mirror. :thumbsup:

#32 ·
Rarely, but I have a couple of times. If it has had a recent wash and mainly sat in the garage for a couple of days, that light coating of dust shows up pretty bad in the sun, but it doesn't seem like it needs a whole wash. Soooo, that's bad, huh?:huh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.